• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xDragonius

Recruit
8 Badges
Aug 11, 2023
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
In the Lion's Den
1708993558595.png

A Thuringian AAR

Hello everyone! This is my first AAR, and I will attempt to write this in a narrative style. I am not playing in ironman mode, but I will try to roleplay my character as best I can and not save scum unless there are excruciating circumstances. Thank you for checking this out, and feel free to leave me any notes or questions about my writing or playing.
Contents
Wilhelm von Weimar (936- , b. 920)
Count of Thüringia
Chapter I. Coming of Age

DLC/Mods
None

Game Rules
Default, except:
Exclave Independence: Limited
Dynamic De Jure Drift: Restricted
De Jure Assimilation Duration: Short
De Jure Requirement: Required
Culture Conversion: Restricted

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Welcome to AAR writing!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter I - Coming of Age
(936-940)

August 936.

1709004692005.png

Vassals of the Kingdom of Germany and surrounding independent states (Count Wilhelm's territory outlined in gold)

As the sun began to set, Count Wilhelm spoke to the men gathered around the table - his councilors.
"My lords," he said. "We are met today for an important reason. Today, I turn 16 years of age. I am now a man."

1708997624168.png

Count Wilhelm as he comes of age.

"A toast to the Count! A toast to Wilhelm von Weimar!" shouted Hermann, Wilhelm's chaplain.
What a jovial fellow. How I do love my peaceful realm... but I must take on the duty of being a good count.
"Let us eat now! And afterwards, I have some tasks for my council. Frida!"
A woman ran into the room and sat down next to Wilhelm.
"Ah, it is good to see you again, my dear wife," he whispered in her ear, and so they began feasting.

As the group talked, conversation turned to what the count wished to do in his reign.
"-and a prosperous reign I hope it will be! I think now is a good time to get to the duties of my council."

1708998778355.png

Council appointments and tasks.

Chancellor Hugo was sent to fabricate some form of a claim on the County of Wurzburg, a title presently held by his fellow vassal to the German King Otto, Duke Eberhard of Franconia. Baron Sieghard and Bishop Jakob were instructed to train fighting men and collect taxes in Wilhelm's capital, Thüringen. Dietpold was to study technology in faraway Rome - "I long to go there someday, but I would settle for their technology," remarked the count. Finally, Hermann's task was to advance culture in Thüringen.

When the night wound down to a close, Wilhelm remembered one last order of business.
"Dear Frida, I think you would do well to be my regent, if need be."
The countess responded with a quick peck on his cheek. Wilhelm blushed slightly. He then distributed various minor titles, such as that of the Master of the Horse and High Almoner to his vassals and councilors. His newly-born and only son, Hugo, recieved the position of Cupbearer. Finally, Mayor Reinhold of Jena and Hermann became commander for their martial prowess.

1708999501417.png

Minor titles and positions, and their occupants.

"Good night, gentlemen, and rest well! I know some of you have long trips to make come the morning."
Hm... I am enjoying this ruler business so far!
With that, Wilhelm and Frida, hand in hand, retreated to their room.

--

1708999993375.png

Frida comes to Wilhelm asking for a nickname.

December the next year, 937, Frida requested a nickname from Wilhelm. The count smiled.
"Anything for you, my love! How about... Countess Frida 'the Festive'?"

1709000523944.png

A letter from Pope Leo regarding the capture of Dietpold.

Dietpold was caught and imprisoned by the Pope's men January 938. Kind as he always was, Wilhelm rushed to secure his spymaster's release for the sum of 10 gold - 4 month's income. Upon Dietpold's return, Wilhelm greeted him warmly.
"Welcome back, Dietpold! How was Rome? Haha, I jest. Now, since you got booted out of there, I thought I'd send you to East Rome... get ready for Constantinople!"
Surprised, grateful, and wholly flustered, Dietpold could only mutter, "Y-yes. Thank you, my liege!"

1709001007036.png

The document certifying Hermann's birth and name.

At the end of 938, Frida gave birth to her and Wilhelm's second child - a son who was named Hermann, after the outgoing chaplain.

Wilhelm began a series of coucil reshuffles in the summer of 939.
Hugo, who had been trying to fabricate a claim on the County of Würzburg with no success, was recalled to court in Thüringen and ordered to instead seek a claim on the County of Paderborn.
"The Duke of Franconia is too powerful for us to take on at the moment, I fear," explained Wilhelm. "He outnumbers us with 1100 men to our 750."
Baron Sieghard was replaced by an adept fighter from the Baltic coast named Adolf, perfect for the position of marshal. Sieghard was made commander as a sort of consolation. In a similar manner, Bishop Jakob, the Steward, was replaced in a similar manner by a Frenchman by the name of Adémar.

--

November 939.

Wilhelm stretched and yawned, walking out to his balcony, where his wife was sitting, a glass in hand.
"Good morning! What brings you out so early?" he asked.
"Look, down there - the first snow has come!" said Frida excitedly.
As the pair were gazing below, Wilhelm noticed someone running in the distance. As the person got closer, Wilhelm identified the figure as none other than his chancellor, Hugo.
I have not seen him in a while... What news could bring him here?
Wilhelm waved to Hugo, and said, "Good morning! What compels you to run in the snow so early?"
"My liege, my liege!" Hugo responded, clutching a document in his hand. "I have got it! A claim, on the County of Paderborn!"

Screenshot 2024-02-26 210012.png

Hugo informs Count Wilhelm of the successful fabrication.

Wilhelm smiled and exchanged a brief look at his wife.
"Well, come in, come in! Let us discuss this news!"

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Welcome to AARLand! Off to a good start.
Baron Sieghard was replaced by an adept fighter from the Baltic coast named Adolf
Be careful with that one! Don't let him persuade you to invade Poland. o_O:eek::p

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Welcome to AARLand! Off to a good start.

Be careful with that one! Don't let him persuade you to invade Poland. o_O:eek::p
Haha, thanks, and I'll keep an eye on him! ;)
Thank you also to @Chac1 and @Idhrendur for your kind messages!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Welcome to AARland! I hope you enjoy your time here...

Paderborn will be the first target of an expansion effort, huh?

Did Dietpold's actions harm the Pope's opinion of Count William?

Reactions:
Welcome to AARland! I hope you enjoy your time here...

Paderborn will be the first target of an expansion effort, huh?

Did Dietpold's actions harm the Pope's opinion of Count William?

Yes, it seems the Pope did not appreciate the spy! Rather a blow to the zealot Wilhelm, as well.

Reactions: