• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hajji Giray I said:
When he posted it had been a month since the last message ... Guess-the-Author deserves a strong revival!

Is there any interest in a new round? Who possesses all the names from the last round? It's sad to see this thread waste away. :(
Only two of the authors identified themselves: TeeWee and myself.

I'd like another round, but we need some demonstrated interest from more people.

Amric said:
Nil, what do you mean by fading traditions?
Well, don't we need a topic? :cool:

Let's try this and see how things turn out!

Our topic shall be a missing person. Literally missing, physically ... or metaphorically, perhaps? This is an absurdly open-ended prompt, so it is up to you how the topic is interpreted.

Please PM me if you're interested in writing for the new round!

I also admire this project and look forward to seeing what the fine authors on this forum produce.

I am pleased to report that we have four authors for this new round!
Authors: your deadline is Friday, October 12. :)
Submissions should be sent to brianrein @ gmail.com

That's great news, Hajji. Thanks so much for picking up the slack over here. :)

Yes, thank you!

I look forward to the new stories.

Rensslaer

My laptop has just died, but thanks to the miracle of web-based email given about ten minutes of spare time I should be able to upload all the stories when they are received. Unfortunately I don't expect to have internet access regularly for a while though ... :(

Authors, be sure to have your stories in by Friday (preferably BEFORE Friday) so I can post them all on another visit to the college library (I'm abusing a research lab computer right now :D ).

Hajji,

I hate it when computers, or kings, die on me!

You should have set the "tragic events" toggle on your computer to "off", so you wouldn't have to deal with such things.

My deep sympathies, Hajji! Hope you can replace it and get back into the swing of things soon!

Rensslaer

We have four submissions! And here they are. :)

Kindly recall the topic, a case of missing person(s), physical or otherwise. We have some very interesting, distinctive interpretations of this broad subject and a slate of authors which includes several new to the Guess-the-Author project. Enjoy!

Author #1

Branches whip across her face. Falling down upon the ground, she tears her dress and cuts her leg wide open on a rock. There’s no time to stop and tend to the injury; Stella has to keep running. The further she gets from the plantation without them knowing she is gone, the more invisible she becomes. Invisibility is what Stella is seeking as she runs haphazardly through the forest. She needs to disappear into the mists. In order for this endeavor to be a success, her body must fade into the darkness and be carried away on the wind. . .

* * *​

“I’ll whip you senseless, boy!”

“Won’t do ya’ no good, I reckon my lips will still be right sealed when ya’ done.”

“Why… You insolent little son of a. . . I oughta’ tan your skinny, black hide!”

Joad stares blankly into Woody’s cool, menacing eyes. The white man doesn’t scare him much, not like he frightens the other slaves. That’s because Joad knows Woody is a big fake. The taskmaster storms around the plantation with his whips and threats, but he’s not particularly proficient at utilizing either of those tools. A life of luxury can do that to a man: soften him up to the point where his bones barely hold him standing up straight.

Woody gives Joad a firm shove, and the young slave falls down into the fresh mud. After having a hearty laugh and unsuccessfully attempting to kick Joad in the head, the taskmaster stalks off back to the manor-house.

For a long moment, Joad stays down in the mud. He gazes off into the woods and wonders how far Stella has run. Hopefully, she’s made it more than twenty miles. The hunt will have a hell of a time catching up with her if she’s made it past Javer’s Creek, and that is about twenty miles to the north. He hopes Stella has the sense to head for the river.

Reluctantly, Joad stands up and walks back to his mother’s shack. The old woman is bustling around her ersatz stove, busy making breakfast for her fragile family. Tom is sitting in the corner playing with a stick. The young boy’s eyes are wide. All hope of a good life has not been drained from his soul. Not like Joad, who is empty inside and knows it full well.

That’s why the young man had not run away with Stella. He hadn’t been able to convince himself that the escape attempt would actually work. Now Stella is off – only Satan knows where – and he’s stuck here tending to weeds that aren’t even his to sell.

Ma throws something that resembles food down in front of Joad. She looks regretfully down on her eldest son. She knows Stella was the only thing keeping him going through this life. Love was the last good thing for Joad. “They find the girl?” Ma asks gently, putting a hand on her boy’s shoulder.

“Nah, and I reckon they won’t. Stella’s good at hiding.”

“No,” Ma says as she walks toward the other side of her humble home, “They won’t find the girl. She belongs to the wilderness now. She’ll stay missing from the world as long as she wants to stay missing.”

At least they can hope as much is true.

Author #2

Nobody had seen anything. But isn't that always the case? Count Gorm held a trembling Countess Sigrid in his arms, while he watched his Marshal with baleful eyes.
"We have taken the maidservants for questioning. Our Spy Master is preparing the irons. I have sent mounted patrols to scout the-"
"And the guards? I thought they were always on duty..."
Eynstein did not have an answer to that.
"You will hang for that." countess Sigrid hissed. "The crows will feast on your eyes. The last thing you will see will be your family dangling before you."
"No, my love." Orm said.
"No?" Sigrid turned to her husband. She looked as if she could attack him. "Why deny my revenge?"
"This is dereliction of duty."
"This is betrayal!"
"Calm down woman, it is as if-"
"I wil NOT calm down, do you hear me? By the Saviour and by the heathen gods of old, I will swear that I will find our son's captors, and I will strangle them by their own entr...-"
The count struck his wife. She looked at him, shocked, as a red spot started to shine through the white powder of Sigrid's cheek. "Woman, you act as if not only our son has been captured, but killed as well. Marshal, hand down your sword to me."
Eynstein did as he was told. "I will demote you to captain." Orm continued. "Form another patrol and ride to Södermanland. My father, may he rot in Hell, knew old hags who'd perform sacrilegious sorcery against his enemies, so maybe one of those witches has taken our son as payment for such foulness."
He turned to Sigrid. "You may strike me back, my love."
She shook her head. "No, my count, not when you expect it. The marshal has left. Did you have to strike me so hard?"
"I had to be convincing."

- 0 - 0 -

"Yes, son, brush him well. You don't want something to cling between his hairsm waiting to rub on the horse's skin under the saddle." The old man nodded, as he walked to the next stable box. The horse snorted, but gently stepped aside as the old men opened the door, and allowed the former ferrier to examine its hooves.
"Yes, Hjalmar." Hjalmar didn't know where the boy had come from. He had appeared occasionally in the stables, but he was dressed in the livery of Västmanland, so Hjalmar didn't think anything about that. He did not know the boy's name, but Hjalmer considered treated him as his own son.
"I never asked your name, son."
"Johan, sir."
"Johan, eh? Like the count's son?"
"Yes sir. We were born on the same day."
"That must have been a lucky day for the county. Are you ready with Sleipnir?"
"The marshal's horse? Yes, I am."
"The hell I know why he had to call that steed like the horse of Odin of the heathens. As if the light of Jesus has yet to shine on the bas.. You can continue with Christopher." Hjalmar grunted, as he saddled the big black stallion.
That was the moment that Eynstein chose to enter the stable.
"Hjalmar!" he shouted. "You old besotted fool! Where are you? I need a horse."
"I am coming sire." Hjalmar brought Sleipnir out. "I figured that with so many soldiers leaving on horse, you would follow suit, lord Marshal."
Eynstein nodded. Wordlessly he grabbed the reins and led his horse outside. Hjalmar heard him say: "Follow me, men!" and ride off, a dozen or so foot soldiers following. He sighed, and turned back to see if the boy had started with Christopher. The boy had left.

- 0 - 0 -

"Father, mother, I am back!". A panel slid open, and the boy of the stables entered the room where Orm and Sigrid were waiting.
"Heavens, son. You smell like horses!"
"I am sorry, father."
"Go and take a bath, son, master Ambrosius will soon be here for your lessons of today."
"Yes mother." Johan bowed to his parents and left the room.
"That went well, all considered."
"That went very well, love. Pål will follow, and inform us of his return, so we can wait for him."
"King Erik will be very displeased to lose such a loyal subject."
"His loyal subject shouldn't have assassinated our eldest, Haakon. How did you know that Eynstein was the murderer?"
"The things you hear when you lay next to a sleeping man....."
Count Orm looked at his wife with a shocked expression on his face.

Author #3

Dawn is that ever longed for light from the east, that so many people far from civilization long for with each passing moment of the waning night. The first hint of growing light in the sky, the dimming of the brilliant stars above, that first grip upon the far eastern hills by a presence not known as night. For any man alone deep in the wilderness trying to get through an uneasy night, hope springs up inside him when he looks about and realizes the first glow from the east, ever slowly and insurmountably pouring over the crests of the eastern hills.

Dusk is the waning of the light upon the world, and light is what brings a natural comfort to the uneasy soul. So as fades the light from the land, so too grows the darker things, which give brood to the recesses of the mind, and instills a great wonderment of the unknown, and at what may lay out there in wait amongst the growing shadows. And as Dusk completes it's task upon the world, it leaves in it's place full and absolute night, where even the most comfortable and experienced of travelers will slightly hold their breath at what the uncertain nature of darkness might bring upon the world in the coming hours.

When the darkness takes the land, the fear buried deep in mens' souls becomes emboldened to leap forth from its lurking places, and the shadows at last complete their conquest upon the visible world. The imagination arises as well at this hour, giving fear its direct pathway into a man's mind, to inhabit his thoughts, and play upon his situation, making things seem much more urgent and dire than they need necessarily be. The sinister side of imagination readily cloaks itself in the complete envelopment of night.

But whereas dusk brings a brooding uneasiness upon one's soul, dawn's light brings the promise that the shadows and dark fears of the mind shall soon be driven forth. The forest is soon revealed to be exactly the way it was before the sun had set. There is no mischief about, no mystery, and without the shadows to inhabit the land, the wild machinations of the human mind also flee to their resting places for as long as the light holds dominance over the land.

***​

And so it was, after three long days, and three even longer nights, that the first rays of sunlight from the fourth day began to creep into the eastern sky. The night had been chill, more chill than the previous two, and the promise of warmth from the sun was a very welcomed idea. He sat huddled against the tree, arms wrapped firmly around himself, trying to ward off the shivering chill. His knees were pulled close to his chest as well for warmth, and one small blanket there was to help insulate him from the coldness of the night.

But for all the promise of warmth that the sun might bring in the coming hours, his mind had struggled mightily through the darkness of the night as well. It had been a third straight night of being stranded deep in the woods, alone, without proper supply or companionship. This third night had surely been the worst of the lot thus far. Not only was it the coldest of the three, but the wind had whipped up in a curious way, almost as if it had a mind of its own, and was intent on spooking him every time he would close his eyes to sleep.

Here or there, one branch would rub against another in a way it had not done all night, or a branch might fall with a loud thud upon the forest floor. The mysteriously cruel wind had also played tricks upon his very tired mind, for it sounded at times as if animals were milling about in the shadows; or even worse gave hints of people's happy voices from afar. After the fear of being alone in the woods at night, the worst thing that plays upon a man's mind is the loneliness he has of being separated from human kinship.

But now the light of day was slowly coming. Imperceptible in it's progress, nevertheless the cyclical struggle between day and night played it's normal path on this morning, and each time he glanced up to the east he could see just a shade more light. When there was finally enough light having flooded over the eastern hills into the valley where he sat, only then did the shadows dissipate enough about him for his mind to be at rest. And only then as morning took the land, and he felt some comfort in it, was his very tired mind finally able to fall asleep again.

He slept in this huddled fashion for some time, leaning back against the large tree trunk, and when he next awoke, the sun was several hours above the horizon, shining it's direct light down upon him. It was full day now, and he shook off the remaining slumber upon him and welcomed the morning. The warmth of the sun falling directly upon him was wonderful, and cast aside the deep chill that had inhabited him during the night.

With the blindfold of the night now gone, he gazed upon the wonderful scene about him. Beautiful woods, untouched by the axes and designs of man, were displayed before him for as far as he could see. The chill nights of early October were draining the sap from the trees, and the leaves by now no longer held their deep green hues. Here and there slight touches by Nature's brush had dotted trees with off colors, none too bright or brilliant or pure in tone; but mixed with the fading green of the leaves about gave rise to the notion that autumn was indeed upon the land.

His stomach was empty, and crying for something to fill it; and while he had more food, he knew he had to make it last for as long as possible. He quickly tried to put the hunger out of his head and think about his situation. It was now his fourth day in this condition. His scrapes and bruises had healed a bit more with each passing day, but he was still in no shape to set out on a long journey in his search of civilization. He reckoned that a day or two more of this lying about was the best thing for him before setting out.

His mind pondered suddenly about his family and friends. Back in his quiet hometown, on this fourth day of his unexpected absence concerned family members and friends had become considerably distressed about his whereabouts. There at the police station, they were no doubt busy filing a missing person's report. And while he hated that anyone should become distressed over his absence, the idea also brought hope with it that it may cause a search and rescue operation of some sort.

Having made his plans to wait another day or two until he was well enough to travel out of these deep woods, he took to lying about, calmly observing the woods about him as Autumn slowly stole over them. Quietly passing the time in this fashion he would take short naps, and in as peaceful a mood as a person in his dire position might be, shortly after awaking he would again fall into another short nap. And thus he would nap here and there throughout the afternoon. It was a good way for making up the lost hours of sleep that the chill and misery of last night had robbed from him. Content with the warmth that the rays of sun had cast upon him, these afternoon naps helped passed the day rather quickly. When he finally awoke from his last short nap, he realized his dear friend the sun had become intent on heading for the western hills.

He sat there on the forest floor, pondering the coming of evening. Even now as the sun approached the western hills, it's rays of warmth had begun to fail, and with clouds beginning to move in from the west, it was soon obscured even further. The temperature began to plummet, and the eery winds of the previous night seemed intent on returning to haunt him throughout the dark hours to come.

The land had by now grown dim, and with it a sure chill began to inch across his bones. There was certainly a hint of rain in the air, which would make his night even more miserable. He reached for the blanket, and pulled it over himself again, pulling his knees up to his chest and wrapping his arms around himself for maximum warmth. This, the fourth night, was to be the longest and most unpleasant of all for him. As the shadows grew, so did the darkness of his imagination. He closed his eyes to ward off these evil spirits from his mind, and tried desperately to think of warm places far away; of home, of fire, of a good warm meal.

Similar to the previous night, when the wind seemed to create the illusion of distant voices, a familiar voice seemed to call out, very faint at first, though much more real. It seemed to advance and grow louder, until he was aroused from his imaginary world. In the growing gloom he could see his father in the distance approaching, calling out his name. It was in fact dinner time, and he was being ordered to come home immediately.

And with the summoning of his father's calls, the young and playful boy Thomas was aroused from his little game of Survivor. With evening coming on, he realized that just like his imagined stranded character, he was in fact quite chilled by now, the temperature having plummeted, and the shadows of night were causing his young imaginary mind to come up with no limit of dark and sinister shapes in the shadows as night approached.

His father was by now standing right before him, "My goodness Thomas, you've been out in these woods a good long time, I was beginning to think you'd gone missing on us."

When receiving the answer of what was for dinner, after a day of playing in the woods little Thomas's by now empty stomach was more than eager to rush back to a nice hot beef stew with some apple pie for dessert, and there was even the promise of some hot chocolate by the fire side to thaw out his chilled bones. The woods, he agreed, as he set off for the lights of the cabin with his father, were fun for playing Survivor by day, but at night he'd much prefer the warm and comfortable confines of their home, punctuated at the end of a day with a very warm blanket and a soft bed. The struggles of the stranded survivor would return to this very patch of woods tomorrow, but first there was warm beef stew, apple pie and a good warm bed to occupy his mind.

Author #4

Some days just stick in your mind, and this one ain’t different.

It started off normal – I’d gone down to the VFW Post after work. It was easier to deal with their screaming and shouting over the St. Ignatios/Spartiate soccer game than it was to put up with Helen’s nagging.

The VFW was in a small, crowded shack of a building in downtown. When we first started, its what we could afford – and now that we’ve gotten more plump and more cash than those wild days when we first got back, we’re too proud to move the damn thing. Nothing’s changed to this day – not the pictures of the Prime Minister or the Capitol in Virginia, or the requisite pictures of Alexios, despite the fact neither the old man nor most of his ancestors had ever had any real power here across the pond.

When I got there the usual crowd was gathered around the small, black and white television. Thing was brand new, shipped in direct from Siracusa. I think between all fifty of us we pooled up over a thousand demetrii to get that thing installed. It was the first television in New Antioch, and we were all damn proud of that thing.

And whenever it was on, didn’t matter if St. Sophia herself walked through the door, no one was taking their eyes off the soccer match. When I walked in that day, there wasn’t a single bit of sound, not one chirp, save the tinny voice of the television. Even Georgios, the loud-mouthed knucklehead, was too engrossed to pay attention.

“Who’s up?” I ask, walking to the back to grab an Uzo. Unlike that television, it wasn’t imported – it was made a few towns over. To this day every bottle’s made in Hagerstown, Pennsylvania – yet another strange, Normanesque named town.

“Some Norm Kid from New Konstantinople scored on us!” Hector Vatazces wailed. For a big, burly man who was the local wrestling coach, he wailed a lot. “Named William, of all things!”

“William Worthington or some crap!” Georgios chimed in. “I mean, damn, what kinda name is that? Who the hell names their kid William fricking Worthington? A stupid Norm, that’s who…”

“Georgios…” The one Norm present, Robert de Morney, started to pipe up. He was one of the boys though – we all tended to forget he was a Norm, until one of us started ragging on them.

“Oh, ah right,” Georgios awkwardly caught himself before he could say any more. There were several seconds of awkward silence before Georgios spoke again. “You know I didn’t mean to insult you there, Robert.”

“Of course not,” Robert said dryly, leaning back, suddenly disinterested. Back then, the rest of us didn’t catch on, and we went back to our game. It was a few minutes before he said something.

“If Petros was out there, St. Ignatios wouldn’t have a chance.”

“Too bad some Norman piece of…” Georgios started, before he realized Robert had spoken. “Too bad he got shot,” he finished haltingly.

“He didn’t get shot!” Hector piped in. “I talked to a guy from his unit, the 3rd New Jersey…”

“He was in the 15th Penn, Hector,” I interrupted. I should know. I served with Petros for five years in those damn trenches across the south of Francia. Fighting the uncivilized, uncouth, murderous Normans… I knew I had no right to be angry at Robert – he’d been Hellenized for twenty years when the war broke out, and he’d immediately joined up to defend all Hellenes around the world from the Norman menace.

Something made me snap at Hector instead. “Yeah, to think, Hector, if you Navy boys did your job better, we wouldn’t have had to slog up the foothills of the Alps, and Petros’ boys wouldn’t have gotten trapped by that machine gun…”

“My name’s not Admiral Kantakouzenos!” Hector shot back. “I was peeling potatoes when that debacle happened!”

“Didn’t matter, Petros always led from the front – read too many books on Basil III!” Gregorios laughed harshly. “Petros always forgot that Basil died young!”

“And foolishly, if I remember…”

“Got tossed by a horse,” I chimed in. Real tragedy. The Norman problem might’ve been solved five hundred years ago if a stupid horse hadn’t been angry…” I caught myself when I heard Robert’s chair grind against the floor. I only had a moment to catch a glimpse of his back as he went out the door.

For a minute we all just stood there… before the banter and talking began again. None of us realized that was the last time Robert would come to the Post. Lots of other things happened that day – Prime Minister Venizelos was shot in downtown Mediapolis, and the old Emperor caught that fungal infection that would finally do him in.

But do I remember those things as clearly? No – heaven help me, I can just remember Robert walking out that door, ‘cause we couldn’t keep our damn mouths shut.

Going to do two and come back later for the other half.

Author #1: I thought this was pretty good. I would change 'humble home' to something more along the lines of 'shack' but that may just be me. No other major comments.

Author #2: I though this can go places, but each scene seems rather rushed, and I think the reason is an overreliance on dialogue. It's not that there is too much talking, it's that there is not quite enough of anything else to give us something with which to imagine the scene fully. My only other point is in regards to this line: "...but Hjalmer considered treated him as his own son." Not a big deal, just a reminder to proofread, something I could use myself frequently.

I'll be back for the second two stories.

I am so excited to be able to critique again rather than having to stay silent...it's a relief in more ways than one. ;) So...

This was an interesting take on the assignment and surely allows for no need to address "the why" of someone missing. If anything, I don't know that the opening scene is necessary. I kind of wish we were kept guessing a little at the start of scene two as to who was missing. But the dialogue was strong and the dialects worked well. I can't even complain about the shortness as what more was there to say? An excellent entry.

First things first - consider spacing your very good friend, and ours. :) It's always better to help a reader with their tired old eyes. But as for the actual content - this was an interesting story. It provided enough to become engaged in the story, though it took a bit, and the pay off was nice. I wonder if perhaps a little too nice, if you know what I mean. Too cute, perhaps. The precocious child begs a little disbelief. Some strong dialogue and certainly harsh as I like to imagine the times. The names are a little confusing, but then that can always be the case when reading about an unfamiliar culture, so no harm of the writer. All in all, very solid.

For being as loaded with some nearly excellent description, I fear that nothing really happens in this story. While reading the ending gives away why that is, I must confess, there is a lack of "sense of urgency" that inhabits the first parts. As well, the break is unneeded. It flowed just as the rest and thus was superfluous. I did like the tale, do not get me wrong. There was a certain preciousness about the way it wrapped up. But we never got to know the child and why he wished to play these games. Instead, the writer spends much time trying to find different ways to say "night" and "chill" and "light" and "nap" and "warmth" - and if I might say so, unsuccessfully. Especially with night...go back through and count how many times the word was used. A thesaurus is a friend and repetition can kill a piece quicker than a bullet to the head.

This was a little on the harsh side and for that I do apologize. I do so only because the writer has talent and with some practice and further attempts, I think can be really good. The imagination is certainly there and I do like the playfulness, as well as attempts to perhaps say a little something more with the text. I think the writer might have attempted something a bit more grandiose with the time and space available for this project and I would have liked to see this as something longer which would allow for the exploration I sensed from the prose. Excellent vision, certainly. And with some work, the actual product can surely follow directly along. Thanks for the read, for sure, as this is why we do the GtA. :)

You know, of all four of them, I think I like this one the best. It seems on the surface not to quite fit with the project until you realize who is missing and why. Once the connection is made, which may be a little late (or it just may be me) the rest reads with some sorrow. Not for the prejudices but for the loss itself, and I am sure this was intended. The attempts to give us some history were included precisely but almost perfectly. We weren't hit over the head with it but were simply supposed to pick up on the larger world through their dialogue - great example of "show not tell." If I have a quibble at all, it's that we really don't get to know our narrator enough. I don't guess we are supposed to, and perhaps this is the strength of the work. It begs to find out how and why the back story went down but standing alone, gives us enough picture to see clearly. Perhaps a bit too exposition heavy and even with the amount of description both vocal and narrated, I might have liked a bit more "color" in the environs. It read much like a 20th century piece - Hemingway might have told a tale of this sort, but he'd give it more color (or as much as he was able - not my favorite.) At first, I was getting a Chandler vibe, but then moved on. Regardless, there is some talent here and I'd love to read a longer piece in this vein. Well done.

An excellent round and thank you to all the participants! This is not an easy thing to do, writing short snippets and yet trying to tell a story. Hopefully, these words of mine and others will help you grow as a writer. That's why we do it. Thanks again for heading up this round, Hajji. Great work and great subject. It was cool to see how the four writers approached it. Each was very creative. :cool:

I really enjoyed reading all of the stories. All of the entries pulled me into their worlds, which I believe is a sign of great skill.

#1 - I feel this story could have been expanded upon more and that some of the wording is bit awkward. However, I enjoyed the overall concept.

#2 - The use of speech in this entry was nice, though I would have appreciated some spacing. Perhaps, my favorite line is the threat of, "The last thing you will see will be your family dangling before you." The author conjures a very ominous and effective image.

#3 - I immensely enjoyed the first part of this story. I got sucked into the narrative and - all due respect to Coz1 - I believe there was a sufficient amount of tension. My main criticism is of the reveal at the ending, which I feel contrasts strangely with the pleasantly dark tone at the story's beginning. I think I would have preferred if the perils of the forest were real. Then again, such is my opinion. All in all, I would say this was my favorite passage.

#4 - What I enjoyed most about this piece - aside from its general style - is that the connection to the topic is not immediately clear. It seems as though the author took the prompt where they wanted, rather than letting the prompt limit them to a clearly-defined discussion of someone being missing. Well done, in my opinion.​

#1 to #3 read slightly stilted - I don't think the authors have found their 'voice'. Perhaps trying a slightly different style would help here? They all seem to be a tad overwritten - which shows that no small amount of work went into them but has the disadvantage of strangling a natural feel and rhthym.

#4 is excellent. You got an immediate sense of character which was sustained throughout.

A good example of how to sustain character (albeit in poetry) is Browning's poetry - My Last Duchess in particular is a useful model on how important it is to find an authorial voice with which to tell your story.

No idea who wrote them, but kudos to them for having the courage to step up to the plate :)