• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've recently downloaded the game and after a few minutes playing it will crash straight to desktop every time.

Is there a known solution to this issue?

Thanks!

Don't play the tutorial, if you did.
As far as i recall it's bugged. At least as long as you got both expansions (DLCs).
It's also the only crash issue while playing that i recall.

I did had similar bug where the game stopped me from playing. Basically i was unable to play it at all. What i did was uninstall and reinstall the game again and from that time i have no problems.
I have tried a couple of things, uninstalling and reinstalling, wiping game save data, clearing cache files etc. and it seemed to be working until I got to the 1860s and its started crashing again. I have no idea what else to try at this point?

I have tried a couple of things, uninstalling and reinstalling, wiping game save data, clearing cache files etc. and it seemed to be working until I got to the 1860s and its started crashing again. I have no idea what else to try at this point?

You get to the 1860s "after a few minutes playing" ?
Maybe don't play on highest speed,which i have to assume you do, unless that were just the later games you tried.
Helped others before.

Outside that i can only guess that one of the required Visual c++ versions installed are broken or such, but that's wild speculation territory.
Hmm....maybe try another clean reinstallation, with everything (manually) deleted beforehand , the complete Vic2 folders in Steamapps/common
and Documents/Paradox.

Last edited:
You get to the 1860s "after a few minutes playing" ?
Maybe don't play on highest speed,which i have to assume you do, unless that were just the later games you tried.
Helped others before.

Outside that i can only guess that one of the required Visual c++ versions installed are broken or such, but that's wild speculation territory.
Hmm....maybe try another clean reinstallation, with everything (manually) deleted beforehand , the complete Vic2 folders in Steamapps/common
and Documents/Paradox.
Apologies, I meant to say that after I tried a couple of things it ran fine until the 1860s, at normal speeds, and then after the 1860s it started crashing within minutes again. I'll try the complete reinstall, but I'm beginning to think it might be drivers? Can you point me to some stuff on Visual c++ stuff?
Thanks for all the help btw!

Apologies, I meant to say that after I tried a couple of things it ran fine until the 1860s, at normal speeds, and then after the 1860s it started crashing within minutes again. I'll try the complete reinstall,

Could be one of the two expansions didn't get installed properly.
So that's why i thought a clean reinstallation might help.

but I'm beginning to think it might be drivers? Can you point me to some stuff on Visual c++ stuff?

It was just a wild guess.
No idea if the issue could be related to it, but sometimes....

Victoria 2 requires the visual c++ versions of 2005, 2010 and i believe might also need 2015.
For manual reinstallation see versions in :
steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist
I don't have up-to-date web links for them.

Thanks for all the help btw!

My pleasure.
If the problem remains, you should then post in the tech support subforum, though i'm sceptical if support would have a better idea.
Alternatively you can open a ticket at https://support.paradoxplaza.com/hc/en-us