• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, a staggering effective British landing. Agree with what others have said - concentrate on the Soviets. You've already acknowledged that giving them breathing space once was a mistake - doing so a second time may allow the tide to turn in the east, as unlikely as that seems just now.

Do you have any forces available in France who can slow the British? The Pyrenees are a tempting natural barrier to any advance.

Russia first, then deal with Britain.
This x 1000. Don't fall into the same trap Germany has fallen into every time, always, again and again. No two-front war. When one is forced upon you, STOMP the first, then address the second. A line at the Pyrenees will be sufficient to contain them, should it come to that.
Wow, a staggering effective British landing. Agree with what others have said - concentrate on the Soviets. You've already acknowledged that giving them breathing space once was a mistake - doing so a second time may allow the tide to turn in the east, as unlikely as that seems just now.

Do you have any forces available in France who can slow the British? The Pyrenees are a tempting natural barrier to any advance.
Same here! Don't even think to give a breathing space to the soviets!

It would seem smarter to deal with USSR first, they are still building new divisions.

There are troops in France from all the Axis powers except Germany. They should be able to at least hold the British at bay but we will see how they fare in combat.

The allies are pretty good with invasions. Once they land even one division in Europe, they will flood the area with additional soldiers if not driven back into the sea quickly.

An Empire under Siege

Recap: The USSR looks to be on the ropes, all the Wehrmacht needs for victory is to advance a little further. Unfortunately for Germany the Allies landed in Spain, unknowingly to the Reich, with over 70 divisions and are already a besieging Madrid.

The unexpected British invasion of Spain caught the German high command completely off guard. A risky decision was made. The German armies would remain in the east until the USSR was defeated. It would be up to Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, and Hungary to liberate occupied Spain. Currently the British look happy to keep the bulk of their forces in Gibraltar. That probally means that there are some fighters and bombers mixed in with the divisions, so it shouldn't be 70 divisons. However whatever they have is more than enough to take Spain.

German intelligence confirmed (me reading the surrender file) that the USSR will surrender once Magnitogorsk and Baku are occupied. All operations in the northern Soviet Union are canceled and all available forces are shuffled to the south. Two paratroops divisions begin training, wish this would have been done sooner.

Madrid is saved and the Axis managed to form a defensive line. However, the United States has entered the war. The full might of American will soon be brought to bare against Germany. American troops will no doubt be arriving in Europe very soon. The USSR must be brought to surrender now.

fatherland_82.jpeg

The Americans launch an amphbious assault on France. They must be stopped on the beaches at all costs.

fatherland_83.jpeg

In Africa, Italy is having its own trouble near the Suez. The Medditerrian is now completely open to the allies. The Italians can't reliably supply its army in Africa. There is a serious chance that the Italian divisions will be lost without putting up a fight.

fatherland_84.jpeg

The US invasion was halted with all divisions destroyed or captured. In the East things finally look like they are coming to an end as Baku and its oil fields are within the Heer’s grasp.

fatherland_85.jpeg

The French and British have landed behind German lines from the Medditerrian. Axis forces in France and Spain are dangerously overstretched. Above all else Paris must be protected. Paris must be in German hands in order for the USSR to surrender.

fatherland_86.jpeg

Magnitogorsk is taken and a few weeks later so does Baku. The USSR can surrender at anytime, I don't like my fate being decided by chance. The odds of event for them to surrender is low. I think it is a 5% chance that is checked once a week. Compare that to France which has a 40% that is checked every 3 days.

fatherland_87.jpeg

fatherland_88.jpeg

Massive allied landings are happening all over France. Germany is being overwhelmed in the west.

fatherland_89.jpeg

Germany has all the key Soviet provinces needed to have them surrender, it is only a matter of time. The eastern front will be stripped down to the bare minium needed to hold the line. All divisions that can be spared will be sent to the west.

And the race is on.

It seems like the allied armies are generally smaller - once your forces begin to redeploy you won't struggle to hold, and turn the tide.

That said, I'm very impressed with the AI; if only the American's had coordinated with the Brits and French you may have found that Paris was seriously threatened.

Those are Americans in France they were sent as expeditionary forces to the British. Paris is threatened it has four Italian divisions protecting it, with a couple Spanish militia on the outskirts of the city. The problem is the amount of divisions I can spare to send to the west isn't significant. Everything is dependent on when the Soviets surrender. The Americans have the largest army in the world and they can and will eventually arrive in force in Europe.

The West looks terrible. But at least you got the Soviets. What happens when they surrender?

I think you'll handle that, even though it's irritating to wait when an inevitable thing will happen. You have to be glad that USA went into the war when (almost) everything on the east was clear. In my game, the States joined the Allies on March 18, 1941 and have to say - my cloudless game so far became a real challenge. It's mid 1942 and the war in the east is far from over because I had to pull out a descent number of units to protect all european beaches from constant allied landings. Plus, the italians couldn't take Suez and I have to do that with forces from the Heer. It's fun how things can change in a moment :) Good luck, I'm sure in your success, and many thanks for the great update!

I think you'll handle that, even though it's irritating to wait when an inevitable thing will happen. You have to be glad that USA went into the war when (almost) everything on the east was clear. In my game, the States joined the Allies on March 18, 1941 and have to say - my cloudless game so far became a real challenge. It's mid 1942 and the war in the east is far from over because I had to pull out a descent number of units to protect all european beaches from constant allied landings. Plus, the italians couldn't take Suez and I have to do that with forces from the Heer. It's fun how things can change in a moment :) Good luck, I'm sure in your success, and many thanks for the great update!

I was influencing the United States throughout the game, no idea why I failed to ever mention it. It helped to push back their entry into the war. The allies are a constant threat to invade. I recommend assuming military control of all your allies and use them to garrison the coast.

Thanks for your vote of confidence! I hope the Reds will surrender shortly.

The Fate of Europe

Amazingly when I load the game, before I even unpause it, the USSR surrender event is there. It is really unbelievable how lucky this is. The only thing I can think of is that the game checked the surrender checklist when the game was loaded. I happily accept the peace terms. The Soviet Union is defeated, now the full might of Germany can turn on the allies. There are no rebels in HOI, so Germany can safely move all its forces to the west.

fatherland_90.jpeg

France is lost; many Axis divisions were destroyed in its defense. Alarmingly Germany is unprotected. The bulk of the remaining Axis forces are now trapped in Spain, sandwiched between the British and Americans. Italy has lost over forty divisions in Africa and has no control over the North Africa anymore.

fatherland_91.jpeg

The Heer is racing towards France now but it will take them some time to get there. In the meantime construction begins on a few battleships, destroyers, and transports. Wonder why Germany would need them ;).

A few mechanized divisions are the first to arrive and are moving around trying to block the British from entering Germany.

fatherland_92.jpeg

Much of Western Europe has been lost but the allies have faced limited to no opposition. The Panzerarmees are now arriving in France and led elements of the infantry are arriving in Germany. The time has come to push the allies back into the sea.

fatherland_93.jpeg

The British, Americans, and Canadians are simply no match for the battle hardened German soldiers. France is quickly taken back and the Heer is moving into Spain with the objective of retaking Gibraltar. Also Switzerland has foolishly given military access to France, allowing a few French divisions to escape. Switzerland will be annexed into the Reich for its breach of neutrality.
The Navy and Air force begin to upgrade their units to the newer models.

fatherland_94.jpeg

Just like in France the allies in Spain can only offer token resistance. Gibraltar is back in Axis hands. Sadly with the Suez being recaptured by the allies, the Mediterranean is still open. There is little else to do now but wait for the Navy and Air Force to finish with their upgrades. The invasion of the UK is next. To do this we will need a modern fleet supported by the air force.

fatherland_95.jpeg

While the Kreigsmarine continues to be strengthen the V1s were redeployed to northern France and used to target IC in lower England . They preformed exceptionally well, dropping British IC to zero in the provinces that were targeted. V2 technology finished recently and a few begin to be built. The only real advantage is they has increased range, though not significantly so.

As time goes on the Kreigmarine and the Luftwaffe have been fully upgraded and are ready for sea lion. In preparation the newly built V2s bombed British industries that were out of reach of the V1s, severely crippling their IC.

The Kriegsmarine sailed out to the coast of the UK. Allied planes began bombing the fleet but were quickly driven off by the Luftwaffe. The invasion force landed unopposed and destroyed no less than 21 enemy plane squadrons, air superiority has been achieved. More German troops were landed and are now moving to engage the main enemy presence in the UK.

fatherland_96.jpeg

The British fought hard but lost their island to the Reich, the UK is now under occupation. It is worth noting the invasion force was nearly destroyed because I forgot you had to manually set up supply convoys (funny how spoiled you get). Fortunately when I saw the dropping organization I realized the problem. Although the British are still in the game without their IC, resources, and manpower they pose little threat.

fatherland_97.jpeg

Germany is now the unquestioned master of Europe. Only one task remains, the invasion of the United States of America. However, the Reich isn’t prepared for such an ambitious task. The navy needs to be built up, significantly.

It takes time to build a navy, so until then; Germany will do a little warmongering. Denmark is the first country to be targeted and falls quickly. This puts us in an excellent position for the main target, Sweden. Germany is currently short on metals which, as a result, are hampering the economy. Sweden has an abundance of the valuable resource.

Sweden had a larger army than anticipated but it was no match for the Heer, it quickly fell and with it Sweden. The annexation of Sweden had results beyond my expectations. Germany’s resource pile is now maxed out on metal. With plenty of metal, German IC went from 847 to 1900. The stockpile won’t last long; it is much smaller than HOI 2 and 3. Even still with Sweden's metal producing areas brought into the fold, Germany is in a much better position.

fatherland_98.jpeg

As always, thanks for reading!

Thank Gott! Quite a save there, Zorro, I wasn't expecting that-but maybe I should have. :) Great luck with the Soviet event, and the Reich expanded so much more, despite the original downturn. Good luck with the US.

Great turn of events! I was sure you'd done it :) Wish you good luck at USA and don't forget to take Greenland to cut-off all possible actions from americans on the UK island :)

Well, the allied offensive crumbled as soon as they encountered real soldiers. That was a rapid sealion , there now isn't really much to do other than overthrow the last bastion of democracy. Before you launch your attack on the US, can you gives us an overview of the army/air/naval forces which each alliance can call on?

Just finished catching up. As someone who's yet to be able to get into any of the HOIs, this is fun!

Thank Gott! Quite a save there, Zorro, I wasn't expecting that-but maybe I should have. :) Great luck with the Soviet event, and the Reich expanded so much more, despite the original downturn. Good luck with the US.
It was great luck! The Reich has grown large indeed :)

Great turn of events! I was sure you'd done it :) Wish you good luck at USA and don't forget to take Greenland to cut-off all possible actions from americans on the UK island :)
Thank you for your vote of confidence. I'll be keeping 12 infantry divisions in the UK permanently to ensure the allies can't reclaim it.

Well, the allied offensive crumbled as soon as they encountered real soldiers. That was a rapid sealion , there now isn't really much to do other than overthrow the last bastion of democracy. Before you launch your attack on the US, can you gives us an overview of the army/air/naval forces which each alliance can call on?
The allies were no match for Germans troops. That really is all that is left mainly, is the US invasion. That will come later, I have a few sideshows for the next update ;) Good idea about the national comparisons, I'll post them in the next update. Not to spoil anything but the US invasion won't occur in the next update. As I stated before it takes time to build a Navy.

Manpower is another problem. Even with the relative peace now, it is far from recovering. Sadly in HOI there are to decimals for manpower. I think in HOI 2 a transport would cost something like .2 manpower. In HOI its 1 manpower for a battleship, cruiser, destroyer, submarine, and a transport. I'll need plenty of transport and it is just sucking up all available manpower.

Just finished catching up. As someone who's yet to be able to get into any of the HOIs, this is fun!
Glad to have to following Idhrendur!