• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nicely done! Pity you didn't have more time, but it's certainly safe to call that a victory.
I wish I'd have had more time as well. I would have tried to take New Orleans. Its large oil fields would have eliminated the need to ship oil over from Europe.

Ah, forgot that HOI1 ends in 1948. Still an excellent job and fun trip down memory lane.
Time flew after the fall of the USSR. Thanks!

Conclusion

The Axis ended the game as the absolute masters of Europe, with the allies and Soviets being completely thrown out. Africa with the exception of the Suez was left alone. The Middle East was targeted for its rich oil reserves.

fatherland_120.jpeg

I didn’t pay attention to Japan’s progress too much and never mentioned it. Japan had China beaten but it looks like the UK pushed them out before London fell. Strange that Japan was not able to drive the British out once their IC was captured. The British may have been able to produce enough supplies from Chinese IC to keep their forces decently supplied. No idea how Japan acquired some Soviet territory. We were never allied and they shouldn’t have got anything from the bitter peace event. They also were not at war at the end of the game.

fatherland_121.jpeg

Germany finished third for the largest ground army. I found armored and mechanized divisions utterly useless, the only advantage being their speed. Often a few enemy infantry divisions could defeat a large armored/mech force. If I had to do it again, I wouldn’t build any additional armor. This would certainly cut down on the need for oil as well.

fatherland_123.jpeg

Germany, surprisingly, finished second on the list for largest navy. It seemed no nation ended the game with many ships. The USA suffered enormous losses at sea but I honestly don't know how. The Kriegsmarine and their American counterpart fought each other many times sure but the battles were very short. They may have be in a coastal area that got nuked.

fatherland_124.jpeg

The Reich ended the game with the second largest air force, only surpassed by the USA. The Luftwaffe played a critical role in this game, this is the largest reason Germany prevailed over the Soviet Union. Their worth should have been apparent when I called off the invasion of the USA because I wouldn’t have air support. In the end the Luftwaffe’s ICBMs were able to defeat the USA.

fatherland_122.jpeg

I thought the game went well in most cases. I could have been a lot more careful about manpower. Germany never recovered from her losses in the war against the Soviet Union, remarkable when you consider the game lasted until 1948. I played gamey if you ask me, victory would have been very difficult if I didn't have the Luftwaffe bomb retreating divisions. With manpower being what it was I felt I had to lean on the air force heavily. I was most disappointed about armored divisions, they were mostly worthless. Their sole advantage was their speed which could be used to quickly seize an (undefended) enemy province or reinforce an area.

Thought I’d end the AAR with things I was glad to see changed and sad to see changed in the HOI series. Most of the things I was sad to see go I realized were changed to make the game more realistic. This doesn’t change the fact that I miss them :).

Glad to see go

World Market- What a nightmare. Can't trade with other nations directly or sell your resources at a favorable ratio, even if you have oil or rares.

Only Whole Numbers Manpower – Not having some unit's manpower drop below 1 really hurt Germany when it tried to build up a navy and air force.

Simplified Tech - The technology menu was difficult to navigate and it was never clear what techs were needed to unlock new units.

Manual Sliders - How quickly the auto managed sliders spoiled me.

Manually Reinforcing Divisions - Going through all your armies and pushing a button to replenish their manpower was annoying.

Manually creating/destroying convoys. I nearly lost the entire invasion force in sea lion because I forgot to establish a convoy.

The 1948 end date - HOI2s long gameplay time was a welcome edition for me. I was equally sad to not have it in HOI3, here is hoping it will be longer in HO4.

Sad to see go

No downside to conquest – I liked being able to conquer nations without any downsides (IE; partisans, TC, or reduced resources).

Powerful A-bombs – Nice to have a weapon in your arsenal that can wipe out 100 divisions in a single blow.

Allied invasions - I believe the AI for invasions is better in HOI than its successors. If the Soviets weren't defeated in the East when it did the allies would have overwhelmed Germany on the West.

Thanks to everyone for reading/commenting on this AAR!

Never been too interested in mods but it would be fun to extend the timeline.

It's easy for this. Not sure where it is in HOI, but in HOI3, it's the 3rd line in common/defines.lua. Just change end_date to something later. It should automagically work when you start the game back up.

Last edited:
It's easy for this. Not sure where it is in HOI, but in HOI3, it's the 3rd line in common/defines.lua. Just change end_date to something later. It should automagically work when you start the game back up.
Does sound easy. Not much point in the continuation of the game however. All technology has been researched and the Americans can easily be nuked into submission.

Absolutely magnificent AAR, Zorro. Can't even explain how much I enjoyed it, and thank you alot for that experience. Good luck with your future projects which I will follow them with interest :) Thanks again !!!

After reading this I got an urge to play HOI1 again after all these years.