• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update (January 1st 1946)

0000 January 1st 1946.
Reichstag Building. Berlin, Germany.

"Good morning Gentlemen. Welcome to 1946. I expect this year to be a good one for us, with new expansion for the Fatherland. Joachim, diplomacy please." Bormann starts the meeting.

"Morning all. My envoys in the Balkans continue to purchase more aircraft as and when they become available. The Luftwaffe is growing into quite a formidable force by their efforts. Spain is now part of the Fatherland after Heeresgruppe West's recent victories. Japan is still going the way of the Allies, although not completely."​

jan146jap1.jpg

"The Americans grew frustated at being unable to advance in the Phillipines and decided to invade the north of the islands. This probably means the end for Japan on these islands."​

jan146jap2.jpg

"They have been fighting back in Manchukuo though. One American division was captured in Harbin after it was surrounded. It may look like the Japanese puppet is safe but it is a little deceiving. An Allied division is heading towards Xinjing and if it gets there before the Japanese retake Harbin then Manchukuo could become part of American territory. Elsewhere the Japanese are very slowly losing ground in the south. Nothing further." finishes von Ribbentrop.

"Julius." says Bormann.

"Morning Gentlemen." Ringel begins. "With the conquest of Spain complete, our forces are advancing on Gibraltar to secure the vital port and isolate the Mediterranean at its western end. The Kriegsmarine has set sail from Danzig and is attempting to reach the Rock and then pass into the Mediterranean. We do not know if it will make it or not as of yet. Our forces are preparing for their next attacks."​

jan146sp.jpg

"Heeresgruppe West is ready to attack Portugal, it just remains for Joachim to formally let the Portugeuse know they are about to be attacked. The remainder of von Rundstedt's Heeresgruppe are moving towards southern Spain for transport to Africa if the Kriegsmarine arrives. They are also setting up beach defences on the Spanish coast to prevent any invasion."​

jan146me.jpg

"We are now advancing in Persia on both Fronts. Von Manstein, and Heeresgruppe Ost, are making progress towards India. Rommel, and Heeresgruppe Afrika, are beginning their move towards North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. Both of these advances will be slow going because of the terrain. I estimate it will take most of the year to achieve their objectives. Nothing else to add." concludes Ringel.​

"Good work Julius. Walther."

"Morning. Partisans still provide some problems behind our lines but are slowly being controlled as we produce more garrison divisions. It will take a few months to subdue Spain unless we increase garrison production. Nothing further." finishes Buch.

"Albert your last today." Bormann tells Speer.

"Thank you and good morning everyone." Speer begins. "Stockpiles are no longer any real concern. Capturing of stockpiles has boosted them to record highs. Manpower remains our only concern."​

jan146prod.jpg

"India has a large manpower pool and with this added to our existing manpower strength we should be getting close to one hundred manpower a month produced. I am looking ahead to the forces we will need in 1947 and I think our production base is going to be badly stretched to build all we need. The Kriegsmarine is the biggest culprit. Not only are the Battleships expensive but so are most of the supporting units needed for a well constructed fleet. We also will need to conserve manpower for the raising of Marine divisions. We still await research to begin production of any other vessels or troops but I shall begin construction as soon as this research is complete. Nothing further." finishes Speer.

"Thank you all. We may need to consider some way of increasing our production it looks like. I shall think on this for a while. Enjoy yourselves this year, our first year together without the threat of being over run as a Country." Bormann ends the meeting.​

Last edited:
Baneslave said:
You have huge manpower gain. 2550 men per day, 102000 men per month...

And it is going to rise and rise till you have conquered all of Africa, Asia and Europe, right?

It will continue to rise yes, to over 3 per day. I hear Finland has long days and nights. In your average 30 day month Germany would gain 76,500 manpower, with the Finnish 40 day month they gain an extra 25,500. No wonder the Russians had so much trouble in the Winter War :D

Into The Desert

0100 January 1st 1946.
IV. Panzerarmee Headquarters. Mashhad, Persia.

Persian troops awoke early on New Years day to the sound of gunfire. Small arms, mortars and tank shells began to land amidst their positions.​

jan1460000.jpg

General Wunnenburg began an attack towards the oil rich province of Abadan, supported by Guderian in Bahktaran.

The mountaineers, under the command of General Konrad, launched an attack into the mountains of Babolsar.

Three Korps commanded by Rommel, Hausser and Dietrich began to cross over the Tigris river into Nasiriyah.

The battles for Abadan and Babolsar were over quickly once the sun began to rise.​

0600 January 1st 1946.
IV. Panzerarmee Headquarters. Mashhad, Persia.

Von Manstein had all of the striking power of Heeresgruppe Ost mustered in Mashhad. He unleashed it towards Birjand.​

jan1460400gr2.jpg

The multi-national force defending the province where caught by surprise and were quickly forced to retreat, leaving the way open to India.​

0800 January 1st 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Valladolid, Spain.

The message received by 18. Armee headquarters was from von Ribbentrop. Quite simply it stated that Germany was now at war with Portugal.​

jan1460800gr.jpg

Von Rundstedt ordered forces of Heeregruppe West to advance into Portugeuse territory minutes later.​

jan1460800gr1.jpg

Troops under the command of Demelhuber, Kesselring, Eicke and von Mackensen quickly overcame any border guards.​

0900 January 3rd 1946.
The Skies Above Breslau.

Lorzer was becoming a busy fighter pilot. The Allies wanted the nuclear facility in Breslau destroyed. They were very determined.​

jan3460900air.jpg

They had sent four more Strategic bombers, this time British, to bomb the facility. The British bombers were of a new design and were better equipped for this type of raid. Lorzer and his eight fighter squadrons managed to hurt them badly, but not before they levelled the nuclear reactor. Building would have to begin once more.​

0900 January 3rd 1946.

News reached von Rundstedt of Portugeuse forces arriving in Oporto. He quickly passed the message to Demelhuber in La Coruna.​

jan3460900gr1.jpg

Demelhuber's troops had been busy during their advance towards Oporto. They were witnessing a rare sight. Kriegsmarine vessels at sea on the way towards Gibraltar.

Once he had his forces back on their job the defenders of Oporto were quickly overcome.​

1100 January 3rd 1946.
Panzerarmee (Italy) Headquarters. Bahktaran, Persia.

VII. Panzerkorps were the first troops to view the Persian Gulf as they arrived in Abadan.​

jan3461100air1.jpg

Wunnenburg had captured the vital oil rich port with a rapid advance.​

1300 January 3rd 1946.

Rommel now had enough forces mustered in Bahktaran to launch an attack against the Iraqi capital of Baghdad.​

jan3461300gr.jpg

General Buschenhagen led the attack against Wavell's defences. The battle would last the remainder of the day and into the next. Wavell was forced to retreat at dawn.​

0700 Januay 4th 1946.

Shortly after news of victory in Baghdad another message arrived at Rommel's headquarters. This one was from von Kuchler.​

jan4460700gr.jpg

Heeregruppe Mitte, commanded by von Kuchler, had captured Kirkuk to the north of Baghdad.​

0500 January 5th 1946.

The advance into Portugal was going smoothly with minimal resistance.​

jan5460500gr.jpg

Kesselring was forced to attack the two Portugeuse divisions that had retreated from Oporto earlier. They did not last long.​

jan5460500gr1.jpg

A rare sight greeted the people of Gibraltar. The rumours of German ships had been going on for over a year. The rumours had proved to be true, Germany did actually have surface vessels capable of sinking other ships. Saalwachter's flagship, KMS Tirpitz, being the most prominent. No sooner had the fleet arrived it left. Malaga was its next destination.​

0000 January 6th 1946.
Diplomatic Headquarters. Reichstag, Berlin.

Von Ribbentrop greeted the Japanese envoy warmly. He was getting to know the man quite well.​

jan6460000gr1.jpg

Another box full of designs was handed over to von Ribbentrop, which he forwarded to Kaltenbrunner.

The envoy had also brought news of the Far East and Japans continued fight for survival.​

jan6460000jap1.jpg

The American division that had landed in the northern Phillipines had been captured and Japanese forces were moving to retake the lost province of Aparri.​

jan6460000jap2.jpg

The good news did not stop there. Allied forces in Manchukuo were also being forced back and relieving the threat against that country.​

0500 January 6th 1946.

Von Kuchler notified Rommel of his recovery from the march to Kirkuk. New orders were swiftly given.​

jan6460500gr.jpg

German forces crossed the border into Syria and attacked Dair az Zawr. The battle would be brief and was over by noon.

0900 hours saw a clash of old enemies. They had met many times in the past and new each others tactics well. The last time they had encountered one another the Englishman had won.​

jan6460900gr1.jpg

Rommel did not think Montgomery would win this time. The river would help his defence but he was hopelessly outgunned.​

jan6461600port1.jpg

With night falling, at 1600 hours, Rommel outmanouvered Montgomery and forced a breakthrough. Not much would come of it during the night, but it showed that the defences were failing.​

0900 January 6th 1946.

Kesselring informed von Rundstedt of a small battle over the Portugeuse capital of Lissabon.​

jan6460900port1.jpg

The battle was brief, and with Demelhuber's arrival in Oporto, the defenders were captured by Kesselring's forces.​

jan6462000port1.jpg

At 2000 hours Kesselring led 3. Panzerarmee into Lissabon to take the Portugeuse capital.​

2000 January 6th 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Madrid, Spain.

Von Rundstedt's arrival in Madrid coincided with a message from von Brauchitsch.​

jan6462000port2.jpg

XLIV. Armeekorps had boarded transport ships of 1. Zestorergeshwader and were departing, under cover of night, towards Villa Sanjuro on the Moroccan coast. They hoped to arrive before the British or Brazilians did.​

While the war is going fine, nuclear development seems somewhat tricky... ;)

The nuclear reactor destroyed... A pity

Portugal withing your grasp and the India placed to be killed. Not bad :rofl:

Murmurandus - They certainly do not like my reactor :D

Kurt_Steiner - Portugal will take a while, it is spread all over the place :)

Cpt Rossi - Has not been on page 2 for a long time, just goes to show how many active AAR's are currently ongoing. All in all a good thing.

Into The Desert

0500 January 7th 1946.
Panzerarmee (Italy) Headquarters. Bakhtaran, Persia.

The battle for Nasiriyah had continued overnight with little change. Rommel and Montgomery continued to try and gain the upper hand.​

jan7460500gr.jpg

The new dawn clearly showed who had the advantage. Rommel would conclude the battle in his favour within the hour and force Montgomery to retreat.​

0700 January 7th 1946.
XLIV. Armeekorps Headquarters. Villa Sanjuro, Morocco.

Field Marshall von Brauchitsch had just finished unloading his troops from 1. Zestorergeschwader on the African coast, when he was forced to defend his position.​

jan7460700gr1.jpg

Field Marshall Auchinleck, Britains premier commander, was moving on his position. Auchinleck took little pursuading to stop his advance.​

0800 January 9th 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Albacete, Spain.

Over the last two days, more troops from Heersgruppe West had been ferried to Morocco.​

jan9460800gr1.jpg

Model was amongst them. He attacked Cueta, along with Reinhardt, to broaden the landing area. Auchenlick could not hold for long.​

0600 January 10th 1046.

The advance into Baghdad had been accomplished quickly. Guderian was first to arrive.​

jan10460600iraq.jpg

He easy defeated a follow up attack from the British.​

0000 January 12th 1946.
Intelligence Offices. Reichstag, Berlin.

Kaltenbrunner's special counter intelligence operatives had received word of a British spy attempting to enter the country. He sent his top team to capture this spy.​

jan12460000iraq.jpg

They reported back to him that they had successfully captured a spy within Germany. Interrogation quickly revealed that the spy was not British. Kaltenbrunner would keep this quiet, he did not want to risk a diplomatic incident with an Ally of Germany.​

1600 January 12th 1946.

Heeresgruppe Afrika continued to advance into Iraq and Syria. Von Kuchler had arrived in Dair az Zawr.​

jan12461600iraq.jpg

0100 January 13th 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Jaen, Spain.

Model had encountered a Brazilian infantry division in Cueta which he quickly overcame.​

jan13460100iraq.jpg

He occupied Cueta at 1500 hours. The Luftwaffe now had an airbase in North Africa.​

0900 January 15th 1946.
IV. Panzerarmee Headquarters. Birjand, Persia.

Von Manstein was the first to arrive in Birjand, adjacent to Karachi.​

jan15460900iraq.jpg

He quickly found that being first was now always a good thing. He was too far ahead of other forces of Heeresgruppe Ost and withdrew back to Mashhad. Other forces following on would have to consolidate the defence in Birjand.​

1700 January 15th 1946.

General Wunnenberg had sent Rommel an update as soon as he arrived in Basrah. Montgomery was in for a surprise.​

jan15461700iraq.jpg

He sent a message to von Ribbentrop's diplomatic offices. The message was to the point.​

To: Foreign Minister von Ribbentrop.

At 1700 hours on January 15th 1946 German forces, namely VII. Panzerkorps led by General Wunnenberg, arrived in Basrah, Iraq. Panzerarmee (Italy) now controls all major provinces in Iraq.

Field Marshall Erwin Rommel.
Commander Panzerarmee (Italy).​

jan15461700iraq1.jpg

Von Ribbentrop summoned the Iraqi diplomatic attache and informed him of his Countries new status within the German Empire.​

Montgomery is no match for Rommel... Good... :D

been a long time reader of this great AAR, lurking in the shadows but had it tagged to my subscribed threads.

Things are looking great for you now, nowhere to go but up, eh? Also i must compliment you on your posting frequency, it is an AAR reader's dream.

Keep up the good work!

Time for a pince movement from Ceuta to Al Kuwait :D

Well, you've won the war in Iraq. I predict that your efforts will rapidly disintegrate from here on out. :D

Isn't it about time you renamed Panzerarmee (Italy) to something more suitable? Like Panzerarmee (Afrika) or Panzerarmee (pwnage)?

Baneslave - The reactor can be rebuilt, it just takes weeks at level 1. Africa is still several weeks away, across an arid Iraqi landscape.

Murmurandus - Amazing what good supplies and modern fully equipped troops can do for a commander ;)

Fnuco - Welcome from the shadows and thank you :) Things do look somewhat promising certainly.

I post a lot on purpose. This is my first AAR and I wish to set a certain tempo to prevent the screams for updates that fill a lot of AAR's. I can only remember one person asking about an update and that was more of a question as to whether one was following. Anyone who has been following this knows I update right after I answer questions and comments by now, or should :) If there is no update right away I say so.

I also think I am more or less obligated to update anytime my name appears as a poster. People look at AAR's more after the author posts than at any other time. Should I decide to write another AAR after this one I would expect to do it in a similar fashion. I am a lot faster now than I was when I began this, so it is getting easier.

This is just how I see things, many wonderful writers cannot post as frequently as I can for various reasons. I do not think I have missed a day without an update or more yet. 60 days and 152 AAR related posts, some of which were double posts to cater for the 10 screenshot limit and bad times to end updates. I do not leave cliffhangers very often although I could.

I recently changed how I do screenshots as well which makes them slightly larger. Hopefully this isn't causing anyone problems with loading the posts. Irfanview gives a better quality at the cost of a little more size.

The pace will continue barring unforseen circumstances or the conclusion of the AAR. I am entering territory a little less familiar for myself now. Defeating the Soviet Union ends more games than anything else for Germany. I have only ever invaded the U.S. once as Germany so that will be a variation for me. Hopefully I can keep it entertaining enough without the massed bloodshed of Barbarossa.

That's enough blabbering from me I think, for now anyway :D

Kurt_Steiner - Shh, don't tell the Allies.

dublish - I wouldn't take up soothsaying as a hobby if I were you :D

Yes I guess it needs to be changed, as does von Kleist's Panzerarmee (Ost). Wasn't one of my better ideas. I will change Rommel's to XV. Panzer-Division I expect as thats the one he had in the desert. Another number will be picked for von Kleist.

Heeresgruppe Afrika is Rommel's overall formation so that covers that part. I will change them on feb. 1st.

Update to follow....

Last edited:
Into The Desert

0700 January 16th1946.

The annexation of Iraq had left Field Marshall Montgomery in a precarious position. He no longer had a supply route. Rommel wasted no time in exploiting the position.​

jan16460700iraq1-1.jpg

General Jacob, commanding L. Armeekorps, would lead the attack supported by Guderian and III. Panzerkorps from Baghdad. Additional support would be provided by XIII. Armeekorps, led by Rosener in Mosul.

XLV. Armeekorps, led by Sachs, would join the battle just after noon once they had arrived in Samarra.

Montgomery would hold for the morning, but when Sachs joined the battle to envelope his forces he stood little chance. He held until early evening before being forced to surrender his isolated forces.​

0800 January 16th 1946.
The Skies Above Breslau.

British bombers were paying another visit to the reactor construction site in Breslau.​

jan16460800iraq1-1.jpg

Lorzer would intercept as always, and inflict high damage. They did set the reactor re-construction time back several days.​

1400 January 16th 1946.

Von Manstein passed von Kleist on his way back to Mashhad. The latter arrived to defend Birjand shortly afterwards supported by General Hoth. XLI. Armeekorps and Panzerarmee (Ost) would attempt to defend the province from the advancing British forces.​

jan16461400iraq1-1.jpg

Von Kleist had arrived just after dusk and had the advantage of the night to prepare his defences. Midnight would see General List, leading III. Armeekorps, launch a flanking attack against the British division in Yezd to reduce the odds against von Kleist.​

jan17460300iraq1-1.jpg

Three hours later von Kleist ordered a delay to buy his forces some time. The infrastructure in the province was already bad before von Manstein had arrived and made it worse. The extra two divisions the Allies added to the battle tipped the balance even more in their favour.

1300 hours saw the division in Yezd pull out of the attack and try to stop List forcing it out of its defences. They would fail.

Extra troops would arrive to assist the defence at 0600 hours on the 18th. By midnight the only division capable of defence was 1. Panzer-Division of Hoth's XLI. Armeekorps.

Daylight arrived at 0200 in the desert of Persia with four hours remaining to hold for reinforcements. Von Kleist could not hold long enough and Hoth followed him north towards Mashhad.​

jan18460200iraq1-1.jpg

Two Allied divisions arrived in Birjand as German forces were leaving. They were greeted by General Heissmeyer, leading LXXII. Korps, as well as Blaskowitz, von Hubicki, Steiner and Nehring leading their own Korps.

Heissmeyer's force quickly overcame the defenders and arrived on time at 0600 hours to take Birjand back from the Allies. They easily halted the other Allied troops heading their way.​

0800 January 18th 1946.
Diplomatic Headquarters. Reichstag, Berlin.

Von Ribbentrop's man in Hungary had sent some very large pieces of equipment to Germany. A little note told him that more aircraft had been purchased.​

jan18460800iraq1-1.jpg

Another interceptor squadron had joined the Luftwaffe. Now they just needed pilots and a little modernizing.​

0800 January 18th 1946.

Messages were still arriving at von Manstein's headquarters despite his withdrawal. The latest one was from his mountaineer forces.​

jan18460800iraq2-1.jpg

General Konrad had arrived in Balbosar and had commenced an assault on the Brazilian armoured division in Bandar Abbas. The battle would rage for most of the day before Konrad eventually won. His own mountain division was too tired to advance and he would rest for a few days before catching up with the others.​

0000 January 19th 1946.
Intelligence Headquarters. Reichstag, Berlin.

News reached Kaltenbrunner of Blohm and Voss completing their latest research. They had improved on the Light Carrier version which had previously been tested.​

jan19460000iraq2-1.jpg

He was debating ordering them to continue along the same path and improve it once more. His agents overseas had noticed that the Japanese had already started this research, and it would be prudent to wait for them to finish. He ordered Blohm and Voss to research an up to date Light Cruiser model instead.​

2300 January 20th 1946.
Panzerarmee (Italy) Headquarters. Nasariyah, Iraq.

Rommel had recently arrived in Nasariyah and was quickly appraised of Wunnenberg's latest advance.​

jan20462300iraq2.jpg

The port and airbase in Kuweit City were now in his hands. He would rest here to regain organisation before advancing towards his next objective.​

1300 January 21st 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Malaga, Spain.

German forces of Heeresgruppe West had been arriving in Morocco for several days and reached substancial numbers.​

jan21461300iraq2-1.jpg

The next force to make the trip would be that of von Rundstedt himself.​

1600 January 22nd 1946.
Panzerarmee (Italy) Headquarters. Nasariyah, Iraq.

XLVII. Armeekorps, led by General Barckhausen, were due to arrive in Karbala at 0100 hours on the 23rd.​

jan22461600iraq2.jpg

Syrian forces beat them to it. Barckhausen took little time removing them from his path even at night.​

jan23461000iraq2.jpg

He arrived as scheduled at 0100 hours on January 23rd. German forces had to pass through this province and the Syrians had effectively destroyed what infrastructure there was.​

0600 January 23rd 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Mostaganem, Morocco.

The forces of Heeresgruppe West that had first arrived in Morocco were rested enough to commence further operations. Von Rundstedt ordered them to proceed.​

jan23460600iraq2.jpg

Field Marshall von Brauchitsch led XLIV. Armeekorps south west towards Marrakech supported by VI. Armeekorps, led by General Hohne.

Other forces attacked east towards Oran. These were led by Field Marshall List, leading XLVIII. Armeekorps, supported by General von Mackensen with XXX. Armeekorps.

Both commanders defeated the weak defences in quick order as they advanced. Both American garrison divisions were captured before they could arrange themselves enough to retreat.​

0200 January 24th 1946.
18. Armee Headquarters. Mostaganem, Morocco.

An additional advance had been ordered by von Rundstedt on the 23rd. LXIV. Armeekorps, led by General von Salmuth, would advance south towards Oujda.​

jan24460200iraq2.jpg

An American garrison division had appeared overnight to try and block this advance. Von Salmuth rounded the defenders up with little delay and sent them heading back towards Villa Sanjoura under escort. The Fatherland would find them something to do to occupy their captivity.​