• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have espoused in feedback to comments about how much I value my alliance with Brandenburg. Let me go on for another moment explaining more about that. I do really believe that if I ever do end up at war with France and/or Austria, that Brandenburg will be the best ally I can have. And, truly, I do not fear war with any powers except for these two. Therefore, Brandenburg’s alliance is important to me.

I also feel that my success against Castille and Aragon – twice now – has been at least partly due to my alliances. The fact that Brandenburg 1) has never gone against her alliance with me, and 2) sent a rather sizeable army to attack Aragon in our wars… All of this means a lot to me too. I also (having no view of Atlantic happenings) must wonder if one of the reasons why I had not too much trouble with Castille’s (or Aragon’s) navy may not be that Brandenburg’s navy was keeping them occupied in the other ocean.

In any case…. They come calling again. What am I to say?

BohemiaWar.jpg

In March, a revolt pops up in Dauphine. The war exhaustion still causes such problems. A half-year is hardly enough to reduce from our high levels. But this rebellion is not a serious threat. We have troops on scene, under Gen. di Saluzzo. This will be a brief matter.

DauphRebs.jpg

Only 6 electors, by 1521, and we’re one of them. Interestingly, Brandenburg is one who lost their seat. Provence, as well, it appears. These electorships are more fluid than I would have expected.

A gift (one of several over several years) to Siena successfully gains us their vote for when the electors must convene again. That third vote is all we should need to guarantee a victory in that election!

HRE1521.jpg

Another rebellion, in Bremen, proves more challenging than that in Dauphine. We must send troops from the south, by sea.

By July of 1521, the three regiments of soldiers sent from Italy had arrived off the coast of Bremen, and were ready to dispatch the rebels.

CoresandTroops.jpg

We also received good news about our economy, and more people began to feel more comfortable – French, this time – about being part of Milan.

It appears that we made our proper adjustments in relationship with Siena just in time. At the beginning of September, 1521, Emperor Fernando V of Castille died. The election placed the crown in the hands of – mind you – Emperor Galeazzo II of Milan!

HREOurs.jpg

Finally, after many decades of waiting for a military mind to walk the halls of our court, and to enlighten the King/Emperor on military advancements, we receive word of a talented soldier named Achille Odescalchi, who we intend to bring into our service as soon as we have the money to do so.

Achille.jpg

After we defeated the rebels in Bremen, the concerted efforts of the old and new forces we’d brought into battle there were directed against Bohemia and, to a lesser degree, Trier. Brandenburg, for whatever reason, has proved itself relatively inept in defending itself. We engage a nearby siege placed by Bohemian troops.

HelpBrand.jpg

The Bohemians in the province of Mecklenburg were relatively easy to defeat. They had fought their way across Brandenburg already, marauding, and taking losses.

Milan’s duty, in this war, was to enable Brandenburg to fight the Bohemians to the peace table. So we then moved south, to the only province that had so far fallen – Bamburg, which had been taken by Trier.

SepPeace.jpg

On January 1, 1522, just as our forces encountered the ragged soldiers from Trier in Erfurt, Brandenburg successfully signed a separate peace. It was the peace we would have wished for them, which was fine. However, now we had to extricate ourselves. We shall have to see what that requires! Not much, surely.

While our 5,000 troops, or so, were besieging the Bohemian capital, the Bohemian general apparently concluded that he would be unable to dislodge them. So he adopted an alternative strategy…

SiegeBremen.jpg

It surely would not have worked, except that Trier was now in on the action. Their joint force began an assault upon the walls of Bremen!

Oh, and just to head off the inevitable groans... :rofl:

Peace is coming... Just be patient! :D

Renss

Wow. You have a lot of armies :p Any particular reason why you go with so many smaller armies?

Also, if only because I'm running a Burgundy AAR, I'm kind of curious to see a screenie of Europe's politcal map. THey seem to be doing decently from what I see on your AAR :cool:

After you have taken Bohemia's capital, you will reduce Leipzig will you not? Two new Milanese vassals! Just why did Brandenberg let it get away in the first place?

Congratualtions on becoming Emperor. You can quickly restore Brandenberg to its Electorate. Then look to expand the HRE's membership. Peace or as one says, the time during which Milan's armies will be prepared for the inevitable war with France to free german states groaning under the French yoke.

Fortunately, the assault at Bremen was turned back, the enemy forces having exhausted themselves upon our gates. This defeat was followed quickly by an entreaty of peace, which we accepted because we had no further interest in this war.

BohemiaPeace.jpg

So, now, we control both the Curia and the Holy Roman Empire. Not a bad situation to be in!

Our Badboy/Reputation has gone down to 13.6, which is about 36% of our expanded “range of free motion”, under Emperor Galeazzo.

ControlHRE.jpg

Looking around our world, we notice that Mecklenburg actually holds an inland colony in Africa! Obviously, they had a coastal province first, then moved inland, then lost their coastal province. Not much hope for its survival, I should think.

MeckAfrica.jpg

Bohemia disappears again, having lost one province to Brandenburg, and the other now to Bavaria.

BavBoh.jpg

Our control of the Curia has suffered from predation. We lose 1-2 cardinals, and so Bavaria becomes controller. Bavaria seems to be gaining more and more power. I wonder what the future holds for them.

LostControl.jpg

We’re still suffering from revolts. We get two at once (part of an event? – I don’t recall), and have some difficulty putting these new ones down. It’s never a matter of if. It’s a matter of how long, and how many soldiers will lose their lives.

1523Revolts.jpg

As time goes on, we begin to actually gain a perception of what the “New World” looks like. The Castilians have snapped up a number of provinces, and their victories against the Indians of North America have helped expand their American empire. Portugal and England are also getting a cut of the pie in the Americas.

LandHo.jpg

Poland declares war upon Pommerania, which will finally bring their long, proud history to an end.

PolandPomm.jpg

We’ve been devoting a good portion of our yearly finances toward state gifts to Tuscany and other countries, meaning to make them join our empire. Our first attempt to get the Tuscan King to step aside and allow Milan to annex them failed. So we began restoring our relations with them again.

TuscAnx1.jpg

Lithuania, by the way, is growing like a weed. They’re expanding to the south, but also to the east, into Muscovy, and even toward the north, against the small Baltic states.

Finally, in July of 1524, Tuscany unites with Milan as part of our empire! This will greatly increase our economic potential, over the years.

TuscAnnex.jpg

All hail the (de facto *mutter*) Emperor of Italia!

Interesting. Bavaria's future is I suspect to become part of Brandenberg, Austria and Wurttemberg.

Bringing Poland and Lithuania into the Empire might pay off, when you attack the Turks. Have they really reached Tunisia? Taking Egypt off them would have the CoT in Alexandria to recommend it.

You seem to be working on Naxos. I thought that you were harbouring designs on Mecklenberg's terriotory again. I look forward to seeing the flag of Milan flying over the islands of Trinidad and Barbados and along the African coastline.

As the truce with Castille counts down, can war be far away?

Last edited:
That map looks a bit better and you're at peace as well. I don't suppose that will last long :D

So now for some sensible questions, tech, economic development, reduced revolt risk, etc how's all that 'give peace a chance' hippie rubbish going?

Peace, Tuscany, and the HRE. Life is good in Milan. Just need to get that WE (wow I can start using game vernacular) down so folks will stop revolting.
TECHS,TECHS,TECHS,TECHS, TECHS! Well, I guess that explains my thoughts on the matter. ;)

Cant wait until Aragon is diplo-annexed :cool:

Annexing Tuscany is a nice move. That and being declared Emperor will give you plenty of manpower to go after Castile and Aragon again and clean up the coast of the Med. Nice little Empire. :)

Definitely a high point for Milan under the Emperor, a shame you lost the curia, but really, things are looking up. Castille will be back for blood in a few years- but if they couldn't beat you then, they've no chance at all now. I wonder how long this peace will last though- not long I suspect.

NIcely done with the HRE and now most of the "boot" under your leadership. Now if only you could get Siena to join you you almost have everything in present day Italy under your thumb.

The question is, where too next? To unify the Iberian Peninsula? Munch up the French vassals? (Provence especially would be nice, it's like a pimple on your border), or maybe keep Bavaria and Austria in line (aka slowly consume them into your reign), or maybe work Venice to become your next vassal?

So many possibilities :)

The incorporation or Tuscany has been a looong time coming...

Didn't manage to keep the double for long, alas.

Congrats on your Electorship, The Asendsion to the HRE throne, and also annexation of Tuscany. The next thing to do is wait for a new king annex siena become protesant. Stay protestant till you become italy. Than the next king changes you to catholic and relase rome as a vassal.

Chief Ragusa said:
French tech lead in military matters is not so good. Have you checked the french advisors lately? Fighting a war can be distracting. Perhaps they have some truly awesome advisors?

Is that 16% revolt risk with full tolerance set for sunni muslims?

The old boost to stability you got in EU2 when DoWed with less than 0 stability looks as though it has gone. Now that's a shame.
Yes, you're right, the French have a fairly competent military advisor who is helping them get their land tech. Not sure if he's dead yet, but he was there a few years back. Full tolerance for Sunni Muslims? Not in this Crusading Catholic Empire! ;) That is too bad about the stab-boost -- that would have been very helpful to me, but you're right, it's not in 1.1 at least.

grayghost said:
Now that you have peace, Pleeeeeeease keep it. Gotta work on those techs. I know, tell you something you dont know. ;) With all these CoT's, maybe you can now actually focus on becoming the trade power you intended. You certainly dominate the western Med. Ah, delusions of Emperorhood again. :D Good luck with that.
I'm still not able to become a trading empire -- I'll tell you that in advance, because I tried and failed. I think it's just broken in this patch. If you're not really up there in trade tech, then you're not able to compete. Maybe down the road. You're right about the techs.... About to work on that! :D

stnylan said:
Time to give peace a chance. Work down that badboy and WE, not to mention invest properly in tech.
Exactly! Lots of benefits to a longer peace...

Terraferma said:
Man Portugal sure reaped the benefits of Castille's downfall and your lack of production tech with merchant traffic shifting in a big way to Lisbon.
Yeah, you're not kidding! They do, eventually, lose that huge volume of trade, though. I'd love to do a study of the whole trade paradigm sometime, in detail!

JimboIX said:
Glad to see you're back in the running for HRE, that would be a most welcome boost. If Castille doesn't declare war again, it would be a good time to sit back and invest in tech. Hopefully you get the chance, if not, there are worse things than taking more Castillian land.
Surprising things happen with this... I'll just let you watch. ;)

Tem_Probe said:
The other thing I note is you're splitting your tech investment. There really is no good reason to do that, since it lags you down. You should invest in 1 at a time, with 100% of your slider backing it. That is how you are going to catch up in tech. Yes, you want all techs to produce, that's why you shift your 100% backing from one tech to another when you gain the tech level you aimed for. To draw an image, if you can gain 1 level of tech in every tech at the end of 5 years, or gain 1 every year, you're better off gaining one every year. Especially since some techs like production/government(ideas, administrative monarchy, buildings)/trade might help you gain the next tech faster, since you'll have more income to invest after getting it. So you might end up gaining the fifth tech level in 4 years 10 months instead of getting it after 5 years by investing 100%. The only time you don't want to do that is getting ahead of time, and it shouldn't be an issue since you seem to be lagging, so you'll always have another tech to invest in.
I had not noticed -- until just before you posted this, actually -- that re-investing a significant proportion of your money into tech instead of hovering just under zero, can actually reduce your inflation. That's certainly why I've been gaining it -- because even at just under zero you can still suffer from inflation, which I didn't know!

As for splitting techs... I'm just not convinced that it works that way. First off, it seems unrealistic, so I'm not inclined to do that just because of the way I play games, but if you concentrate on one tech and let the others lag, then you're still going to be behind the same amount... It's just a difference of which you're behind in. That's because, to the best of my knowledge, there's no multiplier effect for concentrating on one tech. And if you goal-set for each tech, spending max on each, advancing each in turn for 20 years, I would bet you'll be in (almost!) the same spot as if you'd just advanced them all gradually over the same 20-year period. Yes, production tech advanced first will give you a jump on it because of simple economics, and theoretically so would gov tech if you use it for national ideas which allow you tech faster, but unless you have the freedom to concentrate on gov and prod tech for several decades before you spend on mil and navy tech, then it's a good formula for getting killed by those nations which concentrated on mil techs. I'm still open minded, but doubtful.

Zeppelin said:
Wow. You have a lot of armies Any particular reason why you go with so many smaller armies?

Also, if only because I'm running a Burgundy AAR, I'm kind of curious to see a screenie of Europe's politcal map. THey seem to be doing decently from what I see on your AAR
I think I threw a map of Europe into the last update... I get them confused. If not, then it should be coming up here soon. And at the rate I update... :rolleyes: The small armies are, many of them, garrisons in either small provinces or small islands.

Welcome, Zeppelin! Always great to see new readers (or lurkers!) speak up!

Chief Ragusa said:
After you have taken Bohemia's capital, you will reduce Leipzig will you not? Two new Milanese vassals! Just why did Brandenberg let it get away in the first place?
Oh just wait.... Oddness factor 10,000 ahead in this region of the world! I'll let you wait and see, since you are the most patient of my readers... :rofl: Also, for whatever reason, players don't have alot of control over who becomes members and/or electors even if they're emperor. Don't know why that is -- game complication factor, I guess (as if THAT was a consideration! :rolleyes: ).

PrawnStar said:
So now for some sensible questions, tech, economic development, reduced revolt risk, etc how's all that 'give peace a chance' hippie rubbish going?
(Maxwell Smart accent on)Would you believe.... ?

The Great Duck said:
Isn't it a bit strange that Castille,who wasn't in the HRE at that time,was elected Emperor before you?
I'd have to look back, but I think Castille was part of HRE at that time. I assume they must have lost membership when their King/Emperor died. But I'd have to look it up, or look back through my screenshots. Welcome, Great Duck!

coz1 said:
Annexing Tuscany is a nice move. That and being declared Emperor will give you plenty of manpower to go after Castile and Aragon again and clean up the coast of the Med. Nice little Empire.
Thanks! Nothing compared to yours, yet! Watch what happens to Brandenburg here, though... Coming up...

canadiancreed said:
The question is, where too next? To unify the Iberian Peninsula? Munch up the French vassals? (Provence especially would be nice, it's like a pimple on your border)
Provence is just such a problem, since she's a French vassal, and has that spare province up north. I'd really have to make a full commitment to take on France wholesale to even have a chance of incorporating Provence. I may have short-circuited the obvious solution to this by invading France as early as I did -- in most games I've played, France will absorb Provence and most of its vassals within the first 100 years or less. Nice work on Sainmhinu, by the way! I got my first exposure to it while looking through candidates for AARLand Choice. Very nice work!

applerunner said:
Congrats on your Electorship, The Asendsion to the HRE throne, and also annexation of Tuscany. The next thing to do is wait for a new king annex siena become protesant. Stay protestant till you become italy. Than the next king changes you to catholic and relase rome as a vassal.
I'm mulling in my mind what to do about all this religious stuff. Surprisingly, Protestantism seems kind of stunted in my game. It gained about 5 provinces in the first decade of its existence, and really hasn't expanded very much.

Fulcrumvale, thank you also for your constant support!

A new update later tonight, I think. Also trying desperately to update Castles in the Sky. I have lots more written of the next update, but still trying to get the dialogue all right for proper suspense purposes!

Thanks, everybody!

Rensslaer

Is Venice also due for diplo-annexing? I think they are also your vassal, right?

germanpeon said:
Is Venice also due for diplo-annexing? I think they are also your vassal, right?
They are, but they still hate me! :D

It will become a project to get them to be on my side, and then to diplo-annex them.

Rensslaer

NewCore2.jpg

Our economy continues to improve, as we take it easy and concentrate on expansion, techs, restoration of our reputation, increasing stability in the most unsettled provinces, etc.

We attempt to follow up on our successful annexation of Tuscany with the first step in the process of diplo-annexing Wurttemburg, but they shrug off our first attempt to get them to swear allegiance to us as vassals.

WurttVassal.jpg

In 1526, our first attempt at colonization is directed toward the island of Cuba, in the West Indies. Mecklenburg has already established a colony on a nearby island.

Gitmo.jpg

Finally, with a land tech advance, we are able to sign up for better infantry. Some of our current soldiers are Landsknechten, which are nice. For some variety, we will start building Condotta to see if we can actually get some benefit from the Fire segment.

Infantry.jpg

For whatever reason, we lose Rheinlaender as a culture. No biggie – all we have currently is Schwyz.

LostRhein.jpg

Advancing in Production Tech, too!

The bad news is that our first attempt at colonization failed. We’ll try again.

FailGitmo.jpg

Check out all the universities we have! Gotta love it. I’ve dropped my investment in Gov Tech down to nothing, and it’s still keeping pace with most other countries around us.

Universities.jpg

We have been actively seeking better relations with Castille, ever since Fernando V decided to make amends by elevating Milan to elector status once more, in the HRE. They seem open to a rapproachment, and it would benefit us, so we shall do so.

Remarkably, Emperor Fernando V invites Galleazo’s son to marry one of his daughters!!! This actually improves our relationship with Castille to -67 (up from -200 just 4 years previous).

MarryCastille.jpg

We have been trying, for most of the past 3-4 years, to improve relations with not just Castille, but also Aragon and Venice – our two hard-case forced-vassals. After a remarkably successful state gift to Venice, which brought us to +1 relations finally, we also get a good deal with Aragon’s gift!

NewAllies.jpg

Maybe they will, after all, become annexable one day.

Gifts.jpg