• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
canonized said:
oh mr. duggan ........... how could you ....... not know ....

let me guess .. you didn't know lamps before the wind was also from a clint eastwood movie right ? XD i just tease !
well, it was going to be a clint eastwood movie, but then he decided on Letters from Iwo Jima instead. 'Lamps before the wind', however, is an actual phrase written by Kuribayashi to his wife, iirc a short time after he arrived on Iwo Jima.

Myth said:
well, it was going to be a clint eastwood movie, but then he decided on Letters from Iwo Jima instead. 'Lamps before the wind', however, is an actual phrase written by Kuribayashi to his wife, iirc a short time after he arrived on Iwo Jima.

uh oh , here comes myth lobbing mud again ! FIRE IN THE HOLE !

canonized said:
oh mr. duggan ........... how could you ....... not know ....

let me guess .. you didn't know lamps before the wind was also from a clint eastwood movie right ? XD i just tease !
my brain is broked. i not function well beer without. ;)

Myth: Okay, yes, Cutter was the target. The significance, of course, shall be revealed at a latter date.

thrashing mad: Well, don't feel alone in your confusion. And, as I have said before, hold onto that theory. Thank you for the compliment. My time in the corps has it's uses from time to time. Do not dismiss your time in the Polish Navy. Even though you were conscripted, you still gained knowledge. The US Navy is much different than the US Marines.

canonized: Join the club apparently. Thank you. It was alot of fun writing that sequence. I thought it came off well.

Lordling: This is true. If Myth can't figure it out it must be an enigma wrapped in an enigmatic blanket, wrapped in enigmatic tape. But, the road to understanding lies not in the intuitive leap but in the patient following of this story. :D

rcduggan: Ok rc, I don't know what rock you have been hiding under lately, but yes, I did steal the title. :p And, it was from the older version.

Dr. Gonzo: Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed it.

To those of you who set rc back on the straight and narrow, many thanks. The man does get sidetracked sometimes. ;)

Gotcha, finally ! I succeeded in reading this AAR faster than you can write it ! :wacko:

Outstanding, thrilling writing as usual. I wouldn't mind if Cutter was taken out for good, but maybe this unexpected outcome will allow our favorite psychopath to have an extra share of suffering before he's dispatched...

Oh, and Major Li for the win, naturally !

EDIT: On second thought, forget that. Pinch is actually cooler :D

grayghost said:
rcduggan: Ok rc, I don't know what rock you have been hiding under lately, but yes, I did steal the title. :p And, it was from the older version.

a rock called: real life. :p

Le Ran: Glad you caught up. Everybody's favorite SOB cutter will get what he deserves. Wow, someone who likes a different character than Major Li. Yes, Pinch is starting to come into his own.

rcduggan: I have been hit on the head one too many times by the same rock. Sucks, doesn't it. ;)

I am hoping to get an update in today. But, the water went out in our building, so it's middle management to the rescue. I might be to busy to update, but I will try.

Instead of a story update, I am going to give you the current status of the Warlord Club.

Here is some background. The Warlord Club was founded by me as a way of recognizing some of the people who inspired me to write my first AAR. These are the Charter Members of the club. As time has gone by I have invited more writAARs to join if they met the criteria for the club. The criteria were that the author had to have written an AAR about one of the following countries: Nat. China, Com. China, Guangxi Clique, Yunnan, Xibel San Ma, Sinkiang, Tibet, Manchukuo, Mongolia, Nepal, Mengukuo, or Bhutan.

I have been asked if I will be extending Honorary membership into the club and I have considered it. My take is that I will put forth names of potential Honorary members to the active Charter Members. If the majority agree, hey your in. Honorary members will be considered on the basis of writing a Chinese AAR in one of the other forums, i.e. EUIII, Vicky, etc., or have contributed something to the club through things that they have written, or maybe just a really big fan of one of the members AAR’s.

I am not taking this all that seriously, just trying to have some fun with something I inadvertently created. Then again, maybe I have become inspired by canonized’s interactive way of encouraging participation in something we all seem to love, which is either reading or writing AAR’s. Below you will find a list of Charter Members and Members, their status that I am aware of, and the AAR they wrote that got them invited to the club and the status of said AAR. Thanks.

Warlord Club

Founded 01/04/2007​

Founder: grayghost

Charter Members:Status: AAR:
Le Ran Active A Few ReincAARnations More (completed)
Favorite Comedy AAR HOI1/2 RCA Q3 & Q4 2006 & Q1 & Q2 2007, Favorite Comedy AAR HOI1/2 RCA Q3 2007 for "This is SpAARta!"
rcduggan Active Kathmandu Can Do (ongoing)
Favorite AAR HOI1/2 RCA Q4 2006 / Favorite Narrative AAR HOI1/2 Q4 2006 & Q1 & Q3 2007
Writer of the Week 05/20/2007
Fan of the Week 03/04/2006, 04/29/2007, 06/17/2007, & 02/17/2008
Showcase of the Week 01/13/2008 for The Ebony Cross and the Sacred Eagle
Canonized on 04/21/2007
Tribolute Active Risky Ambitions (on hiatus)
Myth Active Great Ambitions (completed)
Writer of the Week 08/20/2006
Canonized on 04/07/2007 & 8/10/07 (w/ Discomb)
Comrade Brian Active Red Star Over China (on hiatus due to school)
Dirtycommiepuke Unknown Good Ambitions (abandoned)
DollfuB Unknown Dschingas Khan Strikes Back (abandoned)
Tiger of Malaysia Unknown One Hundred Years of Reform (abandoned)
Earth’s Savior Military Duty Rise or Fall (abandoned due to military service)

Members: Status: AAR:
Arthulian Active A Com China AAR (completed)
General_Grant Active Mao’s Long March (completed)
Raze Active Stupid Ambitions (completed)
Thirdfain Unknown White Sun (abandoned?)
Tiresias Active The Art of War (abandoned)
A Peoples Revolution (abandoned)
Oddman Unknown Fighting for Survival (abandoned?)
Lord Finnish Active White Sun Over China (abandoned?)
Comrade Kalle Unknown Chiang Risks it All (abandoned?)
Screaming-Eagle Active Impossible Ambitions (abandoned)
GeneralHannibal Active Last Ride of the Khans(ongoing)
Rodrico Stak Active Rise of Red China(completed) China rules the seas (ongoing)
Reno Vercetti Active Greater Cantonian Republic (completed)

Honorary Members: Status: AAR:
canonized Active Timelines: What if Spain failed to Control the World?(ongoing)
Favorite AAR EUIII Q1,Q2,Q3 & Q4 2007/ Favorite Narrative AAR EUIII Q1,Q2,Q3 & Q4 2007
Favorite New Writer Overall Q1 2007
Writer of the Week 03/04/2007 & 05/13/2007
Weekly AAR Showcase 12/09/2007
Fan of the Week 11/11/2007 & 01/13/2008

I will update this as new members come aboard and add a link in my sig to the "Warlord Club" logo.

Last edited:
the first letter of my name is supposed to be lowercased. other than that, looks good. :D

rcduggan said:
the first letter of my name is supposed to be lowercased. other than that, looks good. :D

Alright, I fixed it, you putz. :p

Okay, it has been awhile for an update. I swear I will get one in today.

grayghost said:
Okay, it has been awhile for an update. I swear I will get one in today.

HOORAY ! I'll put away my Boo horn for now !

Chapter 5

The Road Less Traveled

(continued)​

April 19th, 1936, 16:05 pm…Industrial District, Hailar…

In an abandoned warehouse, that was located five hundred meters from the site of the gun battle, two men stood talking. One was Manchurian, the other European. The two men stopped talking as a trap door in the middle of the warehouse popped open. Smoke billowed out of the hole followed by six men wearing gas masks and armed with sub machineguns, one man carrying a rifle. The last man dropped the trap door as the rest of the men removed their gas masks. As one, the group trotted over to the two men.

“Report”, said the Manchurian in Russian.

“It went perfectly sir. The target was taken down as ordered”, replied the leader of the group.

“Fatalities?” asked the European.

“No fatalities sir. I would estimate possibly a dozen wounded, none seriously except for the target.”

The European looked down at his watch. “Thirty minutes from the time of first entry to your return here. Not bad.”

The Manchurian looked at the European. “You are satisfied with the results?”

“Hell yes! Aren’t you?” he replied.

The man smiled. “Yes, quite satisfied.” He looked at the group of men. “Stow your weapons and uniforms in that truck over there and then make your way back to Changchun. Once there, stay at the safe house until I contact you. That should be in a couple of days. Do you understand?”

The group nodded in unison. “Very well, get going”, said the man.

The group trotted over to the truck and started to stow there weapons and gear. As the realization hit them of the absolute success of their mission, they started to joke and laugh as they listened to each other brag about their part in its success.

The Manchurian and the European watched them for a few moments, then the Manchurian turned to his comrade. In English he said, “Well Major Fitzgerald, you have certainly earned your money.” With that, the man reached inside the window of the car they were standing in front of and pulled forth a briefcase. “You will find the agreed upon sum inside, plus…a little bonus for a job well done. Are you sure I cannot convince you to stay on awhile longer?” he asked.

The Irishman smiled, “Sorry, but his Majestie's work is never done. I am expected in Nepal in three months. And since I am going to have to take the long way through the interior I need to get going.”

“But Mr. Fitzgerald, you are a mercenary. What does the far away king of England have to do with this?” the man inquired.

“I may be a mercenary, but I do so at the kings bidding, just as you do. I am sure you understand”, Fitzgerald replied.

“Yes, I understand duty”, he said solemnly. Then with a smile, “But I had to try. We do not have enough men with your expertise and we desperately need it.”

Fitzgerald gestured towards the group of men that were now heading towards a number of separate exits. “You do now.”

The man turned and regarded the men as they left the building and then turned back to Fitzgerald with a growing smile on his face. “That is something that I had not considered. They know enough now to train others?”

“Absolutely. Your leader has a good head on his shoulders. They would make an excellent training cadre. I know it’s tough. Use the tool that I have built for you now, or wait till the tool has fashioned more tools. You’re not ready to move anyway. Use them to train more men. If you need them for the occasional mission, use them”, said Fitzgerald, as if lecturing a new recruit.

“You speak wisely Major. There is nothing that cannot wait. I will heed your advice and use these men and their new found expertise as you suggest”, said the man, now in deep contemplation.

Major Fitzgerald clapped the man on the shoulder. “Good man. Now I really must be on my way. Good luck”, he said, extending his hand.

The man, pulled from his thoughts, took Fitzgerald’s hand. “Good luck to you Major, and safe journey. And should your king have no further use for you, you are always welcome here.”

Fitzgerald laughed. “The king will have no further use for me only after I am dead and buried and not before.”

The man smiled at Fitzgerald. “You are right of course. Wise monarchs do not discard such men foolishly.”

Fitzgerald, an Irish major, posing as a Russian in public! how interesting...
so he trained that first cadre, eh? and that cadre knows enough to train others...and soon Manchuria has a reasonably well trained and disciplined army!

Hell i`m quite confused. Mysterious "man", closest adivsor of Pu Yi is Manchurian, or Major Fitzgerald?

Myth: There is a large white russian population in Manchukuo, so, Major Fitzgerald in his role as one would not stand out. These men have recieved specialized training in covert ops. They would not be able to pass this knowledge on to large groups of men, but they would excel at training small groups of men in the same tactics. What you are looking at is the precursor to the Manchukuo equivilant of the SAS, or US army rangers.

thrashing mad: I must apologize if you are confused. One thing an author never wants is confusion in his readers, unless it is intended. In this case it is not. The Manchurian is the mysterious man that is the advisor to Pu Yi. Major Fitzgerald is a one shot wonder for story purposes.

Don`t worry grayghost, I just unconsciously imagined "mysterious man" as european.

Such small specialized forces would be great in lighting fast, focused strikes, on ... let`s say Japanese garrisons in Manchuria. Or maybe they will be used outside borders, as part of some vile plan:)

thrashing mad said:
Such small specialized forces would be great in lighting fast, focused strikes, on ... let`s say Japanese garrisons in Manchuria. Or maybe they will be used outside borders, as part of some vile plan:)

Oh, we just love vile plans. :cool: As for thinking "the Man" was european, well, that's just ethnocentricity at it's finest. :D

Last edited: