• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(37096)

Lt. General
18 Badges
Dec 21, 2004
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
This is an AAR that I have wanted to do for some time now, but have just not had the time to commit to it. It will not be a world conquest, or a story driven AAR, but rather a straight forward look at the Great War. It will be done in vanilla 1.04.

I chose this subject for several reasons
1. It has been greatly neglected in the Vicky Forums and AAR's
2. The sheer size of the armies will mean that there will be a constant stream of action.
3. Usually in my games, I never get to have great dreadnaught battles
4. Some of the most enjoyable parts of AAR's are seeing how someone won a war, I want to focus on that.

I shall grant myself certain liberties in this AAR that hopefully will not be considered exploitish by the community
1. I reserve the right to take military control of all the military of the Central Powers. I feel that the Central Powers are already at a disadvantage, and I can't allow the AI to squander what precious resources we do have.
2. I will allow myself to declare war on any new nation (as in HOI) I feel that this is true to the time period, and will allow me greater strategic opportunities (although I may or may not pursue them). Who knows, maybe I’ll try the Von Schleifen plan, only through Switzerland.
3. Other than that there will be no exploits or F12

I will start with several posts discussing the strategic position at the start of the war, and then begin the actual war. I am hoping to stir up some comments and suggestions at this time because:
1. I have never played the Great War scenario
2. I have yet to play 1.04

My basic strategy is to attack the French border fortresses, and occupy them before the bulk of the French army arrives. After that, I will settle in to the French fortress and let them destroy themselves on their own forts, while I turn my attention to the Russians. Once Russia is out of the war, I will return my attention to the western front.

So here we go...

Have you read the Great War scenario beta AAR there was? Might give you some ideas.

I'll look forward to this- the Great War scenario's a fascinating one.

Just a brief comment, though I've only played the scenario with no mods at all, I remember the French border forts to be nigh impossible to take, and that the 'Russian Steamroller' is a lot more effective in the game than it turned out to be in real life. Also- don't make more enemies than you have to!

That said, I'll watch this one- good luck!

This looks interesting, I don't have Vicky but Great War AARs are usually interesting so I'll be watching this.

Very interesting - big fan of the First World War and good to see an AAR on it. :)

Will your primary nation be Germany or Austria-Hungary?

I've never played the Great war scenerio. I'll be following your progress. Good luck.

Quirinius...

Just as you warned! :D

I'm really looking forward to this, as I know you will handle it in a sane and realistic manner!

Great to see it going into action.

Rensslaer

Diplomatic Front

Pre-war diplomacy was dominated by the fact that there were winners and losers coming out of the Victorian period. Most of the "winners" wanted to maintain what they had gained, while the "losers" wanted to either regain what was lost, or else gain a bigger piece of the pie.

At the outset of the war, Germany scored a diplomatic coup by enticing the Ottoman Empire to join the German Alliance, and thus was born the Central Powers.

dreibund04hql8.jpg

If the Central Powers are to grow, they must focus their diplomatic efforts on those disgruntled nations who wish to grow, (ie the "losers").

Italy:
Originally in an alliance with Germany, and Austria-Hungary, but when war broke out Italy declared that it would not honor its alliance because the war was started by Austria, and therefore the alliance was invalid. Relations with Italy are very poor for the Central Powers (-150), while very strong for the Allies (150). Both sides have offered compensation to the Italians, with the Central Powers offering Tunisia if she joins, and the Allies offering Bologna, and the Dalmatia. Italy has a decent army and navy, and could easily swing the balance to whichever side she chooses. Not only would they represent an increase in the overall size of the forces they join, but they would force the opposition to fight on a new front. Italy scares me, but I don't know that I have the influence to bring her back from the precipice

Romania:
Also in an alliance with Germany and Austria-Hungary, Romania chose not to honor her obligations because of her increasingly close ties to Serbia and Russia. Romania is close to the Allies (150), so I see very little chance of bring her back to the fold, however; The military of Romania is not that strong, so there is little to fear if and when she does join.

Bulgaria:
In 1914 Bulgaria is a bitter nation. She had made great gains against Turkey in the previous war, and was poised to become a major player in the Balkans when the Great Powers intervened. Bulgaria did not get all the land she wanted, and is looking to get it back. She is warm to the Central Powers (50) and represents a potential ally. Her military is not strong, but it could help by providing a second front against Serbia.

Greece:
Greece has all the same advantages as Bulgaria. They are both warm to Germany (50), equally sized armies, and a border with Serbia, but Greece also has a small navy. They would probably be a good first target.

USA:
The US is not disgruntled nor a "loser", but they probably should me mentioned here anyway. There are two key events that will turn the US against us. The sinking of the Lusitania, and the Zimmerman letter to Mexico. I am hopeful that the US will stay out until after I knock out the Russians. They certainly represent a big problem.

Japan:
Japan is warm to the Allies and may eventually join. If they do join, I don’t see where it will hurt us any, as they will probably concentrate all their efforts in the Pacific and Far East, two areas I am already prepared to lose.

China:
China is neutral towards both the Central Powers and the Allies, but represents an intriguing prospect. If China could be wooed to join the Central Powers she could use her massive manpower to force the British to basically withdraw from Europe to fight in India, and likewise force the Russians to fight a second front in Siberia and Mongolia. They could also invade Korea if the Japanese decide to get adventurous. China has a lot of possibilities…

Last edited:
Good start! I'll be following :)

Quirinus308 said:
China:
China is neutral towards both the Central Powers and the Allies, but represents an intriguing prospect. If China could be wooed to join the Central Powers she could use her massive manpower to force the British to basically withdraw from Europe to fight in India, and likewise force the Russians to fight a second front in Siberia and Mongolia. They could also invade Korea if the Japanese decide to get adventurous. China has a lot of possibilities…

If you can get them on your side- what a strategy! Never thought to bring the Chinese in before.... but-

1) How much do they like the Central Powers- is it achievable?

2) Is their army really strong enough to fight Russia, Japan and the UK at once? Seems a tall order for an uncivilized nation....

DerKaiser said:
If you can get them on your side- what a strategy! Never thought to bring the Chinese in before.... but-

1) How much do they like the Central Powers- is it achievable?

2) Is their army really strong enough to fight Russia, Japan and the UK at once? Seems a tall order for an uncivilized nation....

Well,

In the great war scenerio, China is already civilized, so that helps. Plus even if they are not succesful, they will be tying up countless allied troops, and if the allies are successfull against them, then there is alway the countless Chinese partisans

Our relations with China are at zero right now, so it will take some effort, but I think it is achievable. I could always give them the German province that they lost in the Boxer rebellion to gain favor. I figure I'm going to lose that province eventually to the British anyway. Of course right now there are zero Chinese units to start with, so it wouldn't be an instant fix.

Quirinus308 said:
Well,

In the great war scenerio, China is already civilized, so that helps. Plus even if they are not succesful, they will be tying up countless allied troops, and if the allies are successfull against them, then there is alway the countless Chinese partisans

Our relations with China are at zero right now, so it will take some effort, but I think it is achievable. I could always give them the German province that they lost in the Boxer rebellion to gain favor. I figure I'm going to lose that province eventually to the British anyway. Of course right now there are zero Chinese units to start with, so it wouldn't be an instant fix.

Ah sorry should have remembered that they're civilized... Ah well...

Yeah its a good strategy- go for it I'd say, but I'm sure you can beat the British in that 1 v 1 battle in China- I've done it before.....

Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Very interesting! But I have to say two things...

1) In my experience, the Central powers always win. Reason being, Britain does NOT bring men to the continent at all. Germany has such a massive army, it actually outnumbers all the continental allies! And Italy when (if) it does join, rarely makes any progress!

2) Please oh Please dont bring China into the war, it will make it too easy! :(

Then again, I havent played the great war in 1.05 so, Britain might bring troops to Europe now. If not, then you should have a realitviley easy go at this...

I've actually been thinking the same thing about China. It might be to much of an exploit, but it sure would be nice.

This is my first attempt at the great war scenario, so I lack your experience, but I wonder why Britain never brings it's troops on the continent. It shouldn't be that hard of an issue to fix in the AI file.

Oh and one very annoying thing with the great war, is that you continously must replace all your troops casualitys. It really does get tedious. Also, dont keep alot of men on the direct border of the metz line, unless your prepared to replenish them often. Having enemy forts that border your province, kills men off. So you should aim once you break through Belguim, to lure the majority of the men on the Metz line away, break through it, or like I said earlier, keep a small garrison on the border so you dont have to replace thousands of Germans continously. :D

Cant wait for the first update! :D

We certainly don't get enough WWI AARs! I'll be watching.