• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what is this, joke of the month ?
No, just a point of view. "Crap" is certainly not the best term to use but I fully understand map/atlas lovers can have troubles with EU3 map as it is, even with very good graphical enhancements by the community.

Last edited:
what is this, joke of the month ?

EU2 is already good in graphical terms as it is, and graphics is one of the biggest reasons why i dont like EU3 at all, and why i still play EU2. EU3 map/army sprites are pretty badly made, at least when compared to its predecessor.

And the need of an expansion to EU2 was never to deal with graphics or army sprites. So, if there is actually a joke of the month, it is this thread, and not the post you quoted from me. "Change the game sprites and your game has a chance". Pu-lease. There are certainly more important things to do then army sprites.

Of course, there are some nations, mostly asians as i pointed out, that could use some new army sprites, as the game only gave them 2 sprites instead of 4 as most nations got, and they will be stuck with sprites containing melee weapons when they might be already far ahead in the technological tree, all the way till LT 41, but apart from that, the game is already good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the "crap" term (no harm was intended when i said it, by the way) - just the other day when i was playing EU3, i could only see the head/hat of my army sprite because the rest of the body was beneath a mountain in the caucasus. Some people might considerate this a progress and a step up in graphical terms from EU2, but i do not. Unless, obviously, you believe that the turks developed some new fighting techniques where they bury themselves and leave only the head outside.

Last edited:
And the need of an expansion to EU2 was never to deal with graphics or army sprites. So, if there is actually a joke of the month, it is this thread, and not the post you quoted from me. "Change the game sprites and your game has a chance". Pu-lease. There are certainly more important things to do then army sprites.
You're right, and as you said, some added or reworked sprites/gfx can't be be bad for the immersion. This is for flavor and only goal of such task should be making the game more pleasant to play with, not the reverse. Nevertheless, if this is what will make the decision for more players, there is nothing to complain about it.
At last, I suppose there was a lot of humor in the first post. They know I created city sets and other little graphical enhancements for EU2. Btw, I recently created one with Bebro's permission here. There is certainly a reason. ;)

At last, I suppose there was a lot of humor in the first post. They know I created city sets and other little graphical enhancements for EU2. Btw, I recently created one with Bebro's permission here. There is certainly a reason. ;)
Me? Post in jest? Why I take the upmost offense to this slanderous claim.
Muskets at dawn.

At least you could fix some glitches (the neat early Russian sprites never appear in game, because Muscovy, Novgorod, Tver, Pskov and Ryazan all use vanilla European ones), and make it possible to add any sprites, custom army and leader names, custom town and city pics etc to specific tags by tampering with country.csv.

If possible, some of the graphic mods like EGUFSM, MKJ's army sprites, custom towns etc. etc. can be incorporated into the game (if the modders do permit), so that the graphic lovers among us can get the new looks they crave. :)

Here`s rough example of my models converted to sprite size (from left to right - Muscovite Streltsy, Polish "Hungarian Style" Infantry, and Swedish Musketeer):

sprites.jpg

Unfortunately, 256 colour file format of eu2, with custom palettes to each file is quite annoying. Is there a chance that FtG would use more 'user friendly' format?

Here`s rough example of my models converted to sprite size (from left to right - Muscovite Streltsy, Polish "Hungarian Style" Infantry, and Swedish Musketeer):

sprites.jpg

Unfortunately, 256 colour file format of eu2, with custom palettes to each file is quite annoying. Is there a chance that FtG would use more 'user friendly' format?

those look lovely! great sprites mate ;)

I never remember the EU2 sprites every being a problem. Infact I don't think I have ever really noticed the sprites in any paradox game. I don't think its something I really care about.

I don't really think they were a "problem", IMO overall they worked fine and I liked the style generally, still that doesn't mean they can't be improved. For example, one thing I always wanted to be gone was the yellow ship (level 3 naval sprite IIRC).

edit: pretty impressive stuff, thrashing mad.

sprites.jpg

These are really good. Seeing them in the game would be great. :)

Here`s animated sprite:

husaria.gif

Will it be possible to have different sprites for cavalry and infantry? As far as I know eu2 engine was able to distinguish them (different sound for infantry and cavalry).

Here`s animated sprite:

husaria.gif

Will it be possible to have different sprites for cavalry and infantry? As far as I know eu2 engine was able to distinguish them (different sound for infantry and cavalry).
It would be goddamned magnificent, man!

I never remember the EU2 sprites every being a problem. Infact I don't think I have ever really noticed the sprites in any paradox game. I don't think its something I really care about.

I agree. However, thrashing mads sprites are fantastic and I really hope that it will be possible to include them in FTG!