• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wouldn't Japan's period of isolation between 1638 and 1853 be slightly longer? Unless there was some conflict in the middle of it which I'm unaware of...

Hmmm, that depends I guess. How large does a rebellion have to be before it tunrs into a war?

Still, wait another 20 years and it will be moot :p

Wouldn't Japan's period of isolation between 1638 and 1853 be slightly longer? Unless there was some conflict in the middle of it which I'm unaware of...
I would date it starting from either 1598, when Japan's forces withdrew from Korea following the death of Hideyoshi, or 1600, when the battle of Sekigahara put an end to the resistance against the regency led by Tokugawa Ieyasu. Any later rebellions and unrest were relatively insubstantial. Also, I don't think that Commodore Matthew Perry's opening of Japan in 1853-4 constitutes a conflict between Japan and the United States, so I would date the peace as continuing to the civil war between forces loyal to the Emperor and forces loyal to the Shogun that occurred in 1868.

I would not call the shimbara rebellion insubstantial.

I would not call the shimbara rebellion insubstantial.

I think Siege of Osaka in 1615 matters much more than Shimabara Rebellion. Toyotomi Hideyoshi´s son Hideyori was much bigger threat to the Tokugawa Shogunate than the Shimabara Rebellion.

Shimabara rebels had no more than 37k men at their disposal while Hideyori did have 113k men before the winter and later some 60k men before the final siege at the summer. Hideyori did also have a claim to be the legal supreme leader of Japan and that was the reason why Ieyasu wanted to wipe him out. After Ieyasu´s death he could have started a rebellion against Tokugawas and could have been able to gather a wide support from the western part of Japan. Hideyori´s death eliminated the any real threat on the Tokugawa Shogunate for centuries.

Because of that, I would say that the Japanese era of peace started in 1615, not in 1598 or in 1600.

Not a nation but the Sami people have never been at war in their history.

That doesn't really count. And they have fought in the armies of Sweden, Finland and Russia (I presume Norway too but not sure of that) plenty of times during history.

I don't think that Commodore Matthew Perry's opening of Japan in 1853-4 constitutes a conflict between Japan and the United States, so I would date the peace as continuing to the civil war between forces loyal to the Emperor and forces loyal to the Shogun that occurred in 1868.
1863. The Japanese shore batteries at Shimonoseki opened fire on the British fleet, and in retaliation the British sent a force to demolish the forts and sink the Japanese ships in the harbour. A few months later, a squadron of six Royal Navy ships bombarded Kagoshima, destroying the Satsuma daimyo's palace and sinking five Japanese ships.

Not a nation but the Sami people have never been at war in their history.

Also to note Sami people have been working for Finnish border troops that are part of the army from the 1918 when Finland got independent. They helped to track thieves and poachers that came to Finland from Russia to either steal or poach reindeer.

Basically from 30 (actium) bce to 66 (jewish revolt) Europe was at Peace.
Not exactly.

Pax Romana was simply a state of relative peace. In fact it saw constant military action through out the empire and it's borders. Even during Augustus own reign military campaigns were everyday thing and espescially Germania saw a lot of action.

It depends on what you count as a state. Peace usually ends badly, though.

One of the true lessons of history is the south Pacific island that was riven by civil war until its wisest leader brought all of the families together and together they all forswore war and its study and its practice. A golden age began that lasted hundreds of years without fratricidal conflict or need for weapons and ended when the Maori landed, raped and enslaved all the women, killed all the men, and sailed back to New Zealand.

Forget the name of the place, though.

So either Japan and Sweden depending on what counts as a civil war/rebellion?

No other candidates?

There's probably more; some smaller nations of which there is little record, very remote nations etc. But it would depends on what you call a state, what you call peace and how much evidence is required to meet those definitions.

I think the period between the Peace of Augsburg (1555) and the outbreak of the 30 years war (1618) was the longest lasting period or (relative) peace in middle Europe until recently. Now it should be post WW2.

I think the period between the Peace of Augsburg (1555) and the outbreak of the 30 years war (1618) was the longest lasting period or (relative) peace in middle Europe until recently. Now it should be post WW2.
What does the "middle" stand for? If it's Central Europe, we might have to consider the soviet interventions in Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

It depends on what you count as a state. Peace usually ends badly, though.

One of the true lessons of history is the south Pacific island that was riven by civil war until its wisest leader brought all of the families together and together they all forswore war and its study and its practice. A golden age began that lasted hundreds of years without fratricidal conflict or need for weapons and ended when the Maori landed, raped and enslaved all the women, killed all the men, and sailed back to New Zealand.

Forget the name of the place, though.

According to Wikipedia those were Moriori people. They arrived at Chatham Islands before 1500 AD and they were invaded by Maoris in 1791. Moriori people were related to the Maoris but Morioris decide to ban warfare.

What does the "middle" stand for? If it's Central Europe, we might have to consider the soviet interventions in Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

Not to mention the wars in the Balkans. But again, depends on the definition of "middle Europe".

What countries do you mean with Middle Europe ? Since there was f.e. the Long War involving almost all nations of Central Europe

Then there were several wars between Poland and Sweden during this era

There was of course the start of the 80 years war (1568 - 1648) in the Netherlands.

In Germany itself there was the Cologne War