• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
nice update!

however i think this game really skews europe, and it shows with level 18 mil closing on the 1800's :p

Yeah, though the title of the game might have you given a slight clue to that too. :)

You know Avindian, I should let you know that reading your AAR has made me start a Japanese game in EU4 (as the first East Asian nation I've finally decided to play after hundreds of hours of the game!) :cool: And let me say, what a crushing victory at the end!

Why wouldn't it skew in favor of Europe? this was the era when Europe historically took off and started conquering/colonizing the rest of the world. :p Yet, it's always fun to play as a non-Western power, although I confess, the Eastern and Muslim factions are the only non-Western nations I have experience with since I've always said I should try one of the East Asian powers but never got around to doing it until now! Although getting behind the Europeans in military tech can be tough sometimes... :glare:

Great job Avindian!

Thanks for the kind words! I normally shy away from East Asia (except for Japan in Vicky 2) too, but it's been a rewarding a play through, and the first one I've finished in EUIV!

Go Lorraine!

If I had to guess why you made Portugal your rival, it was so you could embargo them without losing trade efficiency, because they were beginning to gain power in some centres you would prefer them out of. Guessing blindly is fun. ;)

It's even more fun when I don't remember why I did it! :D

Maybe I should be really ahead of my time... I'll install scuttling charges on all of my ships!

Nothing like beating up your fellow unwesternized neighbours to forget that the Europeans could easily do the same to you. :p

I'm expecting a war with some Europeans soon. They need to help you sacrifice some ships. ;)

I can give you this tiny hint: a war with a European is actually coming. That's all I say.

something interesting about mechanics of combat in EU IV (maybe completely irrelevant since you already know).

When choosing which unit you use there are defensive and offensive "pips". For a very long time I thought that when you are the attacker only the offensive pips count and when you're defender only the defensive pips count. That's not the way it works.

When in fight both pips count for purposes of calculation of casualties etc each round (there is some relatively simple formula (for mathematician)), so when you evaluate which unit is "better" you have to count ALL pips.

At some points there are really big differences in overall count of pips, so just be careful :). For example the mil 9 units are effectively downgrade (I think they are at 9) over the unit you have access to before.

Another interesting thing is that on the military path there are some big JUMPS in STRENGTH, like you go from 11 pips (or something) to 20 pips. that's HUGE and should be exploited whenever you can :).

The pips part I knew, but only after some investigation on my own. It's good to know about the jumps!

I haven't been able to catch up with this AAR until recently due to the exams, and now it seems it's coming to an end :(
Notetheless, it was a great read. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
(By the way, maybe the constant sinking of your ships is the AI's way of telling you to update your navy? :D)

There's another explanation too.

I find myself wondering... Are all the lost ships actually mistakes on your part, or is naval combat simply more costly in EU4? Reason I say this because in EU3 they tended to be all or nothing (as in, one fleet is sunk in its entirely and the other is untouched). Is that 'fixed' here?

the devs were constantly toying with it, originally it was actually very tough to sink ships, then they changed the priority of choosing targets so the fleeing ships were still shot on, so the losses became bigger.

I think the biggest problem avindian has that he uses like dip 1 ships against dip 20... so he has big losses.

That's a big part of it! We also have "forget about trade fleets during war time" and "send entire fleets to explore the sea instead of single ships" to consider.

That's one way of modernising your fleet :)

It "worked" for Russia IRL, didn't it? ;)

Update is going to be coming out in a few hours, so keep your eyes peeled!

Avindian said:
Thanks for the kind words! I normally shy away from East Asia (except for Japan in Vicky 2) too, but it's been a rewarding a play through, and the first one I've finished in EUIV!

That's a pity, although expected since your in the 1700s, that the AAR itself will come to an end soon. I rarely ever make it out of the 1600s before I get bored and decide, "Hey, this nation will be fun to play as," then I leave and go play as someone else for the next 200 years before the cycle restarts and repeats ad infinitum... :glare:

That's a pity, although expected since your in the 1700s, that the AAR itself will come to an end soon. I rarely ever make it out of the 1600s before I get bored and decide, "Hey, this nation will be fun to play as," then I leave and go play as someone else for the next 200 years before the cycle restarts and repeats ad infinitum... :glare:

My parents, long ago, made me feel guilty whenever I quit something. Their influence lives on. :) I play relatively few PDS games, but almost always finish.

Update is on the way!

Chapter 20, part 1: Revenge is a dish best served with a side order of French fries…

*Anybody who knows the proper end to that sentence is incredibly awesome.

I add a new protectorate to begin the update.

a0ds.jpg

I’ve become borderline obsessed with this idea of “cultivate a powerful Chinese ally so I can finally ignore China,” yet as you will see in the closing updates, I will completely fail to ignore China. Oh well. I start coring my new Manchurian provinces. I decide to claim the throne of the Mongol Khanate. The RNG rewards me for the brilliant move.

bpgb.jpg

Then laughs in my face as a few weeks later, Korea declares war on the Mongol Khanate. Still, this war could be promising:

jlte.jpg

There are more pressing matters close to home, however. Pressing citric matters.

v7kl.jpg

The coveted Twodeckers is now mine for the building (after paying off my loans, of course). Ceylon’s independence from Russia is ended when Vijayanagar absorbs them instead. But, this whole Mongol Khanate has me pretty angry. Korea, we are through!

22jr.jpg

I then Rival them, replacing Portugal. A Gold Rush reminds me to build that fort in Australia that’s been my mission for a while now. In August 1752, Brittany is annexed by France. I get MIL 21 in October. Russia takes a huge bite out of Crimea and Uzbek. By early 1753, Korea has annexed Mongol Khanate. I form a coalition against them (with no other members except Alaska and New Japan). I finish my fort in Australia and choose the “Restore the Currency mission.” 200 ADM later, I’m down to 4.25% inflation, and the mission knocks down another point, plus that sweet 5 year bonus to prestige and National Trade Income. My new mission is to make France like me. This is actually possible, shockingly.

m2461.jpg

Nothing to see here, folks, just another guaranteed successful update! My inquisitor dies, so I replace him with a Master of Mint in order to Enact the Gold Standard (and wear down the last bit of my inflation.) Pirates get another Japanese ship in 10 February 1754. Uh, let’s not overdo it, guys. This is good news, though!
t5qs.jpg

Okay, seriously, Woodes Halsey (if that is your real name), that’s enough. I’m pretty sure the gods are already appeased, but I fear we have irritated them by giving a ship to the pirates.

6vtol.jpg

I immediately get a stab hit after this, so I think this answers EUNOOB’s question – there is a limit to how much the gods of sunken ships will take. I embargo Korea (the first time I’ve embargoed somebody in EU IV!) and begin fabricating a claim. I chose Hamgyeong, but I look on this decision and regret it, because you know what I could have gotten a claim on instead? Beijing. Oh well. Can’t fix the past. All of my fears about Russia, however, are allayed in 1755 because the Oirat Horde has formed a coalition against them. A coalition of one OPM! The threat lasts for a week or two, but then Zhou vassalizes Oirat Horde.

I have 20 Twodeckers under construction right now, BTW. Spain loses Kochin to Vijayanagar and Corsica to Sardinia. I DOW Korea 10 January 1756.

kzrl.jpg

THAT WAS XI’S SHIP NOT MINE DON’T HURT ME SEA GODS

Ahem.

aann.jpg

Hey Korea, you’re a couple hundred years later for Johnny McSupershock. I hire a Naval Reformer to replace the dead DIP guy, good for a boost to naval morale. I also do this.

y9wec.jpg

The boost to trade power is nice, the boost to tariffs and trade efficiency even nicer, and China is basically a Prestige Factory for me. I now have good enough relations with France, and I choose to pursue Religious Unity.

Oh, Alaska…

srdh.jpg

That’s not the Japanese way of war. If not for your delicious tariffs (thanks for those) and gold, I’d probably let you have your independence and see how long you last.

More enemy ships sunk! Surely the sea gods are appeased now!

f8wa.jpg

I’m not sure how I feel about this, to be honest.

pa4f.jpg

I mean, good for Shun, I guess. I pick up DIP 23 and MIL 22. The Hansa jolly stomps Burgundy; they lose Antwerp to the Hansa, plus Vermandois, Poitou, and Arnor to France. And lose 119 ducats. So, the punching bag of Europe used me as a punching bag. I’m not sure how I feel about that either. I get ADM 21, then my leader dies. Aya I is 3/0/1 (ugh), but she has a nice heir.

h5g2.jpg

Oh, if only we had already invented Blu Ray in the 18th century. I would send Aya I a copy of the Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. There would be a sticky note (because we invented those too): “Check out Eowyn. Eh? EH?!” Shun gets 70 ducats from Korea and calls it a war. I get a new MIL advisor (+5% discipline). I end my war against Korea a bit later.

xfvb.jpg

All of my provinces are nice and contiguous now. You may be asking yourself, “Why give Beijing to Shun?” My answer is “so I can reduce Korea’s basetax enough to the point where another war or two will result in annexation or vassalization.” Plus, the loss of Beijing should pretty much cripple Korea permanently, and I hate those guys. I release Makassar to get closer to religious unity. The RNG gods consider this a good move.

wdsw.jpg

I discover that Europe’s real punching bag is GB: Burgundy just took Gwynedd and Cornwall, French Canada [that is, the Canada of Burgundy] picked up three provinces, and Burgundy got 220 ducats. Burgundy follows up with a DOW on Cherokee, just to make fun of Alaska (I’m pretty sure.) I get MIL 23. This is followed up by a stab hit. Uh… sorry? I’ll try to stop discovering new technologies, I guess?

I convert the last Confucian province in Japan to Shinto. Huzzah!

pyiz.jpg

The new mission is to improve my defenses in Heilongjang. I begin claiming Haixi. I learn about this time that now GB is friendly towards me. I get DIP 24. I get an unexpected alliance with Ayutthaya. GB shows they are, indeed, the true punching bag of Europe, coughing up the Gold Coast to Portugal, releasing Connacht, and giving Portugal 300 ducats. Spain signs an alliance with Russia. I begin my (second) war with Korea with a stack wipe. I sink some more ships, yadda yadda yadda, typical war against Asians. I do choose a new idea group.

This is one of those decisions that agonized me at the time. I really wanted to take Innovative, but with a 0 ADM heir… that would have been a bad call. This left me with DIP or MIL ideas. I knew I didn’t want the Diplomacy group, for certain. Aristocratic similarly seemed like a waste of time, since a lot of those are good for cavalry. That left Expansion, Trade, Quantity, and Defensive. I eliminated the MIL ideas simply because I wanted to keep gaining MIL tech, so we were down to Expansion and Trade. Now, at this point of the game, there are maybe five or six uncolonized provinces. Another colonist wouldn’t help, but Trade would help right away. The choice was made, and looking back, it’s one of the few I can unequivocally say was the right move.

jkkq.jpg

Shun sends a DOW to Korea again. This is getting mildly annoying, but there is one upside: if I let Shun take some Korean land (just one province), I think I can annex Korea (or vassalize them). They’ve only got one core, Chengde, so that doesn’t sound like it’ll hurt me too badly. I’m willing to wait.

Of course, this plan falls apart when I realize Shun would need to take two Korean provinces. I really wish I’d taken Beijing in that first war now.

ecev.jpg

Not a bad consolation prize, though. I fire my Master of Mint and hire a Theologian to help convert my new Korean provinces. Burgundy gets 5 provinces off of Cherokee. Stupid Alaska.

And that ends the update. Nothing else interesting happened. NOTHING.

Oh, wait. Maybe that. Would that be interesting to you?

ahbk.jpg

Next update is provisionally targeted for Tuesday of next week, maybe Monday. See you then!

Chapter 20, part 1: Revenge is a dish best served with a side order of Belgian fries…

Repaired your title for you :)

Probably your funniest update yet :rofl:

Let's just see what else you can grab before time runs out.

Show those Russians that no Europeans can meddle in East Asia without feeling the wrath of Japan! You've already sacrificed a few ships so your troops should be safe. ;)

Repaired your title for you :)

Yes, actually it is wrong to call it French fries. They where created in Belgium! I'm wondering if that wrong name comes from the USA or the UK?

Yes, actually it is wrong to call it French fries. They where created in Belgium! I'm wondering if that wrong name comes from the USA or the UK?
Probably US. While the US and France were buddies from day one, the UK and Belgium were as well. ((I've got now idea, just posting justified speculations)).

Probably US. While the US and France were buddies from day one, the UK and Belgium were as well. ((I've got now idea, just posting justified speculations)).

Also here in Europe, everybody knows how "bad" general knowledge (just pointing out a common belief in Europe) they have in the US about Europe so it is probably one of their common mistakes.

The "French" in the fries came probably from WWI. Belgium is a bilingual nation. Back then, all the officers in our army spoke French, and the first US soldiers may have assumed they were dealing with French soldiers eating fries. Hence the confusion.

Well...I would not have joined this war. And my Empire was bigger than yours...but maybe you had better military skills than me. Otherwise this war would have been pret-ty one-sided.
Against one strong navy (Spain) and one strong land-based empire (Russia) at the same time...it will have been a slaughterhouse for sure.

We don't know how strong Spain's navy is, we haven't seen them in action for ages. Maybe the 20 two-deckers will be sufficient, and if Japan ends up warleader, they can call France, which would be nice. Always like to see the battle of the blobs.

Regarding fries, I'm told the 'French' actually refers to the cooking technique by which they are sliced.

The "French" in the fries came probably from WWI. Belgium is a bilingual nation. Back then, all the officers in our army spoke French, and the first US soldiers may have assumed they were dealing with French soldiers eating fries. Hence the confusion.

Regarding fries, I'm told the 'French' actually refers to the cooking technique by which they are sliced.

Maybe it is a mix of these two: Americans saw Belgians cooking fries in a french technique during the WW1 and as they talked French they called them "french fries"?

EDIT: I just read somewhere in a french article to celebrate these fries that the fries where created in France but later developed in Belgium to become those that we know today.

Maybe it is a mix of these two: Americans saw Belgians cooking fries in a french technique during the WW1 and as they talked French they called them "french fries"?

EDIT: I just read somewhere in a french article to celebrate these fries that the fries where created in France but later developed in Belgium to become those that we know today.

sorry, guys. The only true whiskey is Scottish, the only true wine is French and the only true fries are Belgian. at least leave us those, ok? pretty please? :p

sorry, guys. The only true whiskey is Scottish, the only true wine is French and the only true fries are Belgian. at least leave us those, ok? pretty please? :p

There's always the waffles. Mmm...waffles...