• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So this isn’t typical of a JL to move this quickly?

No. Usually JL's move slowly and it takes a couple days to get the scanners involved as they're weary of a baddie trap. Losing the seer let us play a little looser as few people could be double cleared and getting good interaction from the village and none from the wolves save Johho and Dedonus's seer claim made it easy to keep the outings rolling.

Reactions:
I will say clairvoyant revealing hidden traits too was a bit strong but it could've helped both sides. A pack finding a cursed or me being an unassailable JL spokeswoman because we know I can't be turned or apprenticed.

That's because in the 10 minutes before deadline, I had heard from the priest, so I see a group of two people contact me with a baddie name and think, "Oh hey, that must be the seer and his apprentice!" Was so busy trying to pass on information in case I got hunted that I didn't realize it wasn't until it was too late. By then you knew everyone so I had to roll with it and have you both in the JL.

Most fun day for me because I was a lynch contender, had to decide to handle the new Aedan scan results with rapid and decisive action , and roll with the Audren outing. Your outing was sufficient to trust you just enough to out myself to you almost immediately, so the lucky confluence of events caused that JL to form.

@deathbywombat if you would, include all of that in your write up, if you would. You should be on all PMs.

I will say clairvoyant revealing hidden traits too was a bit strong but it could've helped both sides. A pack finding a cursed or me being an unassailable JL spokeswoman because we know I can't be turned or apprenticed.

Yeah, I think the potential there is high enough on both sides to make it fine. Like, if I had gotten my Clairvoyant off and chosen MC? Could be an entirely different game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You didn't have a chance because village played well. We communicated, we analyzed, and we stuck together, which made it obvious who wasn't doing this. This wasn't imbalanced for the goodies. We used very few traits very effectively.
You had a mole, though (albeit I know I was part of you learning about that) and you just said that Deo contacted the JL too, so the baddies did try and play the JL game then, and yet stood no change.

I do think that the setup was a bit unbalanced, and Wombat actually agreed in what ended up being a ghost chat with Wombat, Auden, and I. Among other things the purger and the sorc should have been the same player and there should have been four baddies per pack. There were only 29.6% baddies in the game. JHohho's rule of thumb says 33%, and with how the traits worked this game I think it perhaps should have been a tad higher, i.e. 10 instead of 9 baddies. In any case then three man strong packs are extremely fragile and always have been so. It's why they usually aren't adviced to make as they are very prone to falling apart fast.

And I dont think the game was unbalanced at all, just the JL was extraordinary effective.
When the baddies take out all major goodies in the first few nights and still don't stand a chance, then yes, things are unbalanced.

Just like how if the goodies lynch a baddie almost every day and still loses.

Yeah, I think the potential there is high enough on both sides to make it fine. Like, if I had gotten my Clairvoyant off and chosen MC? Could be an entirely different game.

Yes. It only might feel unbalanced towards the goodies because it helped us turn to me as a certain goodie after the leak was revealed. Also sorry @Sleepyhead for always keeping you a bit out of the loop. There was always the outside idea that you were a wolf trying to put me into the JL and then give you info.

Though, should be said, then my pack really wasn't any lucky with regard to composition.
A zombie and two people who're early lynch magnets. I realised immediately that our pack stood little chance, as Yakman and I are bound to get run up/lynched early and Capi going zombie makes him a likely lynch too.

It's in cases like that that I do think some GM setup tinkering and be warranted at times. (I myself have done it a couple times when RNGesus make all the important goodies veterans and most of the baddies new people.)

You had a mole, though (albeit I know I was part of you learning about that) and you just said that Deo contacted the JL too, so the baddies did try and play the JL game then, and yet stood no change.

I do think that the setup was a bit unbalanced, and Wombat actually agreed in what ended up being a ghost chat with Wombat, Auden, and I. Among other things the purger and the sorc should have been the same player and there should have been four baddies per pack. There were only 29.6% baddies in the game. JHohho's rule of thumb says 33%, and with how the traits worked this game I think it perhaps should have been a tad higher, i.e. 10 instead of 9 baddies. In any case then three man strong packs are extremely fragile and always have been so. It's why they usually aren't adviced to make as they are very prone to falling apart fast.

When the baddies take out all major goodies in the first few nights and still don't stand a chance, then yes, things are unbalanced.

Just like how if the goodies lynch a baddie almost every day and still loses.

Village actually lynched a baddie almost every day.

And you didnt take out all major goodies in the first few nights, just Claude. Cliges the Priest survived enough days. For instance your pack didnt take good use for some powerful traits like robber that was wasted with me.

You had a mole, though (albeit I know I was part of you learning about that) and you just said that Deo contacted the JL too, so the baddies did try and play the JL game then, and yet stood no change

There was a mole who would probably have won if you didn't spill it all in the thread. Dedonus did but still never said anything about an evolved trait or even told me he scanned me which seemed suspicious. The suspect list was literally everyone who never claimed an evolved trait and Avernite was the only villager on it. You guys made it super easy for us. Yak and Capi were originally outed without confirmation. Dedonus was never confirmed. It was just that obvious for the village because we stuck together and the wolves did little to pretend to work with us. The one that did got outed by you in thread.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@LatinKaiser thanks for coining the LKD.
It certainly made the game more interesting, for a short while! :p I'll have to employ it more in future games.

I had fun messing around for the first two days. Shame I got hunted so early, as it seems that this was a really happenin' game.

Thanks @deathbywombat, and GG to all!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think hunting MAW was a tactical error. If the wolves know who the padre is and who he's protecting then he's useless. Killing him basically told us there was almost certainly a mole.

Wagon also shot you guys in the foot by bragging that he knew the padre and priest, but that's another matter entirely.

And, not to toot my own horn after all the silly mistakes I made in the game, but there are advantages to having someone like me running a JL. I think most other players err on the side of being too paranoid and fail to give info to people who should really have it. I'm the opposite, and when I identify people I'm confident in I like to tell them everything.

I think most other players err on the side of being too paranoid and fail to give info to people who should really have it. I'm the opposite

taste the arrogance :p

No, this JL came together and rolled over the baddies exceptionally quickly.

Both MAW and Cliges took leaps of trust that could have gone south really fast if they were wrong. MAW contacted madchemist blind, Cliges contacted alynkio half blind. Fortunately for the village, they were both right. Toujours l'audace...

It certainly made the game more interesting, for a short while! :p I'll have to employ it more in future games.

I had fun messing around for the first two days. Shame I got hunted so early, as it seems that this was a really happenin' game.

Thanks @deathbywombat, and GG to all!

I feel I should get some partial credit for the comment :p

Reactions:
I think hunting MAW was a tactical error. If the wolves know who the padre is and who he's protecting then he's useless. Killing him basically told us there was almost certainly a mole.

Wagon also shot you guys in the foot by bragging that he knew the padre and priest, but that's another matter entirely.
Yeah, we should have gone for you that night since you and Cliges were the visible part of the JL.

Congratulations Village! I can only assume it was thanks to me being hunted first that made the win possible.

Nothing is more useful in Werewolf than the deaths of British people.

Gamesetup

The goal of this game was to encourage participation and the will to survive. I think this goal was achieved, considering that the Purger turned out to be an unused rule. This was achieved in part through village fear of the Purger, but in a more subtle way as well - even if you were a mere villager, you could gain a power late game that would make you really important to the game's outcome late. Too often villagers can coast lategame on the back of a JL, to devastating effect to the fun value of a game, or simply give up if nearing defeat. The lategame addition of a trait, however, could prove to give either side a fighting chance. It also had the pleasant side effect of balancing overuse of single powers on night 2 or 3.

I massively overpowered the baddies in my last big (Trouble in Valhalla), and thought that the Purger would get 2/3 kills in this game, so I tried to compensate a bit by taking out one baddie from the typical setup. I also gave possible power to the baddies - 3 possible cursed players and 2 possible apprentices are a bit more than average for a game this size. See below for setup:

Team Light and Justice:
Major Goodies/JL Members:
Seer – Claude LC
Priest – Cliges
GA – Reis91
Padre – MawofDoom

Minor roles/traits:
Instant Medkit – Alxeu (used on Cliges)
Seer scan – De Chatillon (used on Johho)
Priest Scan – Emperor Ike

Blessed/Cursed Villagers:
Witch Agatha – blessed
Madchemist – cursed
Emperor Ike - cursed
EURO - cursed

Apprentices:
Arkasas
Beartjah

Ordinary Villagers:
Alynkio
Culann
Sleepyhead
LatinKaiser
Avernite
Spockyt
DeathNoteforCutie
Beartjah

Team Evil:
Sorcerer - R.Graymarch
Purger – aedan777 (blessed)

Homeworld pack (Hunted Odd Days):
Dedonus – Wolf
Audren – Wolf
Johho888 - Zealot – Starts with a priestly scan and a sorcerous scan

Offworld pack (Hunted Even Days):
Yakman - Wolf
Capibara - Wolf
Wagonlitz - Zealot – Starts with a priestly scan and a sorcerous scan

The baddies started out deliberately in a weak position - without powers (except for a couple scans, which were designed to find their allies) and undermanned (8 baddies out of 27, rather than the typical 9). A night 0 or night 1 kill would be devastating to a pack. They were forced to survive to grow dangerous, but could evolve into absolute powerhouses if they were left alive for any length of time. Assassin, Brutal, and Robber are insanely dangerous powers to give baddies in multiples - and given the role percentages, they were favored to get one instance of those traits early - see below table:

Evolution Chances per night (the chance both sides had to evolve a certain trait):

Assassin (Night Hunter): Baddies – 20%, Goodies – 10%
Brutal: Baddies – 20%, Goodies – 2%
Clairvoyant: Baddies – 5%, Goodies – 20%
Distiller (Dreamweaver): Baddies – 10%, Goodies – 3%
Ghost Whisperer: Baddies – 10%, Goodies – 10%
One-Eye Open: Baddies – 2%, Goodies – 5%
Psychic: Baddies – 10%, Goodies – 15%
Robber: Baddies – 20%, Goodies – 5%
Spiritually Attuned: Baddies – 10%, Goodies – 15%
Witness: Baddies – 3%, Goodies – 15%

To balance for this, I put “locks” on when baddies could evolve certain traits. Once an evil player of one pack received a trait, no other baddie from any pack could evolve the same trait until night 4. Also, no baddie of the same pack could receive the same trait as a packmate until night 6. The same was true for goodies - no goodie could evolve the same trait as another goodie until night 5.

The game was self-balancing in that the number of traits the goodie side received during the night was directly related to whether they killed a baddie or not in previous nights. So night 0 and Night 1, the village would get only one trait (to compensate for the baddies' weak start), but every night they failed to kill a baddie during the day, the "stress level" of the village would go up by 1, increasing the number of traits the village got. If the village succeeded in lynching a baddie, the "stress level" of the village would drop down to 1. RNG determined which villager received a trait. Here is a list of the evolved traits:

Night 0 - 1 trait (Culann - NOT EURO's OEO - he evolved that in the wolfpack)
Night 1 - 1 trait (Alynkio)
Night 2 - (no baddie lynched during day 2 - stress increased) - 2 traits (Witch Agatha and Madchemist)
Night 3 - (baddie lynched during day 3) - 1 trait (sleepyhead)
Night 4 - (baddie lynched during day 4) - 1 trait (arkasas)
Night 5 - (baddie lynched during day 5)- 1 trait (Death Note for Cutie)
Night 6 - (baddie lynched during day 6) - 1 trait (De Chatillon)
Night 7 - (baddie lynched during day 7) - 1 trait (sleepyhead)