• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(Meanwhile Sakamoto looks after his emporium and son, deciding to let the daimyos do all of the debating and waiting to be called to battle. He made a record amount of revenue today.)

((I'm sure young Ryoma must be rather disappointed by the result in Shikoku. :p))

((FYI, Ryoma isn't even one yet.))

Roju Representative: Tanabe
[Kansai]

Roju Representative: Hayashi

[Kanto]

I shall integrate myself with the Thunder Alliance, for I admire its support for the maintenence of our society and greater focus on the individual regions of Japan.

Roju Representative: Reizei

[Chubu]

Last edited:
((I am making a post because Uterus stopped sending me updates and that makes me very upset. I'll probably replace this with some IC filler when I can be bothered.))

((Please dont make fun of the abbreviation. I know the pull of making puns is strong, but it is inappropriate to say here))

Roju Representative: Obama

[Chubu]

With regards to the position of the Self Strengthening Faction, there is no need to tar all the Nanban with the same brush. The barbarians are not unified in some attempt to destroy our traditions.

The Dutch at Dejima have always been fair with us, the British have not. Why cast out the Dutch if the British invade or we accomplish the objectives of Rangaku? What need is there.

I see no reason why barbarians who have dealt fairly with us should not be allowed to stay in their legations, especially when they are still useful to us.

((I don't think Japan has traded with the British at all, ever. Sakoku was implemented decades before 1707. Sorry to nitpick, because that's otherwise a very good point.))

((^ Are samurai allowed to vote?))

I am... disappointed that there appears to be no Lord brave enough to be willing to take up the cudgels for the people of Kyushu - no Lord of course, apart from the conservative-minded Honourable Lord of Satsuma. Lord Shimazu may be both brave and honourable, and the Shimazu a clan of honourable men, but I am in no way convinced that his conservative views are the right direction for either Kyushu or Japan. Though it is most dishonourable to nominate or vote for oneself, I feel that at least someone who supports a sensible, practical, forward-looking direction for our great people must have the Shogun's ear. I therefore nominate my humble self [Lord Hosokawa] for the position of Roju Rep. of Kyushu, and, with equal reluctance, pledge my allegiance to the Jiko Kyoka-Habatsu (SSF) as the grouping which best represents my vision for the future of Japan and her people.

I encourage all Great and Noble Lords of Kyushu to let their voices be heard, the doors of Kumamoto will always be open to men of like-minded courage and wisdom.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo.

Rōjū Representative: Hosokawa

[九州 Kyushu]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((Hosokawa Mitsuhide))

To 細川 光秀 Hosokwa Mitskuhide,

I will gladly see you as a close adviser to our 将軍 Shogun. I, too, share the humble opinion that our nation should look to its future.
I hope you will represent both the collective interests of the lords of Kyushu and the interest of the wise 自己強化派閥 Self-Strengthening Faction.

~ 西村浩 Nishimura Hiroshi

((Hosokawa Mitsuhide))

To 細川 光秀 Hosokwa Mitskuhide,

I will gladly see you as a close adviser to our 将軍 Shogun. I, too, share the humble opinion that our nation should look to its future.
I hope you will represent both the collective interests of the lords of Kyushu and the interest of the wise 自己強化派閥 Self-Strengthening Faction.

~ 西村浩 Nishimura Hiroshi

((EB/Lord Nishimura))

To the Noble Lord of Fukuoka,

I applaud your courage and wisdom in letting your voice be heard. If given the honour of serving my people and my Shogun, I pledge to serve always in the best interests of both the people our beautiful isle and the people of Japan. May Kyushu become a beacon of enlightenment, modernity and strength; an example for all Japan to follow!

You are, of course, welcome for tea at Kumamoto Castle any time you wish.

-- Hosokawa-dono

Roju Representative: Obama

[Chubu]

With regards to the position of the Self Strengthening Faction, there is no need to tar all the Nanban with the same brush. The barbarians are not unified in some attempt to destroy our traditions.

The Dutch at Dejima have always been fair with us, the British have not. Why cast out the Dutch if the British invade or we accomplish the objectives of Rangaku? What need is there.

I see no reason why barbarians who have dealt fairly with us should not be allowed to stay in their legations, especially when they are still useful to us.

You can never trust the red-cheeked devils. Look what happened to India.

-Matsui Hideki of Kobe

You can never trust the red-cheeked devils. Look what happened to India.

-Matsui Hideki of Kobe

And Indonesia for that matter, in case Obama-san claims that the Dutch are supposedly superior in morals from the other nanban. While I may have some sympathy for Obama-san's belief in change, I do not naively believe that the Dutch will not stab us in the back like they did the Indonese once our guards are down.

- Reizei Yukihiko, Daimyo of Nagoya

Last edited:
And I suppose that the late Taiko's invasion of Korea was equally unwarranted, eh gentlemen? Perhaps we should be careful in the future, when we speak of morality and men, so that we do not shame ourselves with hypocrisy in the process?

-- Hosokawa-dono

And I suppose that the late Taiko's invasion of Korea was equally unwarranted, eh gentlemen? Perhaps we should be careful in the future, when we speak of morality and men, so that we do not shame ourselves with hypocrisy in the process?

-- Hosokawa-dono

I humbly admit to hypocrisy in that regard. That said, viewing politics in such a way only reinforces that it would be foolish to not expect the Dutch to attack us should it be in their interests to do so.

I humbly admit to hypocrisy in that regard. That said, viewing politics in such a way only reinforces that it would be foolish to not expect the Dutch to attack us should it be in their interests to do so.

And should the Dutch attack us, what does the Noble Lord propose we do in retaliation? The Dutch may be able to bombard Nagasaki - bomb Edo even - but we have no sea-worthy ships nor cannon; we can hardly sink their ships, let alone bombard Rotterdam! The most prudent thing to do in such a situation would be to ally ourselves with, trade and learn from people who can fight the Nanban on their own shores, people who can give us the means to do so.

Pride is not the same thing as courage, we must accept that at the present time we can only face the Nanban on their terms and in our lands. Any devastation will be wreaked upon us and our people, not them. This is why it is imperative that we play off one Nanban with another, not let them all gang up on us, as Dai Ming and the Koreans did to us in the Taiko's day.

-- Hosokawa-dono.

Roju Representative: Hosokawa (Kyushu)

While I personally do not believe myself experienced enough to adequately serve as a representative of Kyushu before the Shogun, Hosokawa expresses views that resemble my own and will best represent the Daimyos of Kyushu.

- Ito Katashi

And should the Dutch attack us, what does the Noble Lord propose we do in retaliation? The Dutch may be able to bombard Nagasaki - bomb Edo even - but we have no sea-worthy ships nor cannon; we can hardly sink their ships, let alone bombard Rotterdam! The most prudent thing to do in such a situation would be to ally ourselves with, trade and learn from people who can fight the Nanban on their own shores, people who can give us the means to do so.

Pride is not the same thing as courage, we must accept that at the present time we can only face the Nanban on their terms and in our lands. Any devastation will be wreaked upon us and our people, not them. This is why it is imperative that we play off one Nanban with another, not let them all gang up on us, as Dai Ming and the Koreans did to us in the Taiko's day.

-- Hosokawa-dono.

I agree that our nation's defences leave much to be desired at present, and that we must in some ways imitate the nanban in regards to warfare. I was criticising Obama-dono's seeming overtrust and trumpeting of the Dutch as being above the British, although I admit I was too harsh. I believe that if we are to trade with the nanban, we must not show weakness, lest they see it as an opportunity to invade. This is particularly true as of the present, as we are still suffering from the effects of the Tenpo Famine.