• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good show

RGB said:
It looks like France won't hold very well...

Within a few days mobilization will be completed, so there is some hope for the French (and me)

Fulcrumvale said:
East Prussia certainly looks open to invasion. I guess your not willing to re-play Russian mistakes there?

Most certainly not, why do I want to lose :confused: :D My plan is simple, the attack on Memel will consist of 10 divisions, with shorebombardments from the Baltic Fleet. From there, Gumbinnen and hopefully Allenstein will fall, then I'll take the defensive and wait till Austria is knocked out and I can attack the Germans in Poland from the south.

stnylan said:
Trading Poland for time seems very viable.

And it shortens the borders. Hopefully they won't advance too far into Poland/Belarus.

Kurt_Steiner said:
Mmmh. Germany is strong both in the West and the East? Disgusting surprise...

At least A-H is being defeated as expected :D

They'll be strong for now, but my prediction is they will get bogged down by the French and British, while they've to sent massive reinforcements to Austria.

Drake Rlugia said:
Wow, good job so far in attacking the Austrians! To be honest, I've never liked attempting them in thw WW1 scenario. A feeling of hoplessness sweeps over me as my troops are defeated and pushed aside like rag dolls.

They key to winning is to know where the Russians failed IRL. At one point (October/November, 1914, IIRC) the Russians destroyed a large part of the Austrian army near Prezmysl and the road to Budapest lay open to them.

náraiC said:
Excellant read you have a subscriber in me

Thank you for joining!

Wenis said:
Good show

Thank you, I can only hope it gets even better.

Good stuff so far. Is there anything happening in the Caucuses yet?

I was so impressed by your plans that I have tried to follow them in my recent game. I partly followed “lost land” plan and moved away from all German and Austrian forts by one province and also allowed to divide Poland between Germany and Austria.

When mobilisation was completed I followed Plan A. I just invaded Austria through Beltsy avoiding Austrian forts and not using frontal assault. Everything was according your plan I just helped Serbians to occupy Croatia. By late 1915 I have occupied Vienna and met Italians at Italian border. Soon Austria capitulated and was divided.

Plan T was excellent. I pressed Turkish from Istanbul through all Asia Minor till they surrendered giving up 21 province and 2 provinces to Italy.

Now exhausting and bloody war against Germans. Poland is retaken and couple of South East German provinces are taken but Germans are very stubborn and have more advanced army.

Quirinus308 said:
Good stuff so far. Is there anything happening in the Caucuses yet?

Nothing yet. In V:R the Ottoman Empire doesn't start at war, but will join later and it has the chance to stay neutral or join the allies as well (hope it doesn't happen though) Although with an early Austrian defeat neither Romania nor Bulgaria join the war.

mnplastic said:
I was so impressed by your plans that I have tried to follow them in my recent game. I partly followed “lost land” plan and moved away from all German and Austrian forts by one province and also allowed to divide Poland between Germany and Austria.

When mobilisation was completed I followed Plan A. I just invaded Austria through Beltsy avoiding Austrian forts and not using frontal assault. Everything was according your plan I just helped Serbians to occupy Croatia. By late 1915 I have occupied Vienna and met Italians at Italian border. Soon Austria capitulated and was divided.

Plan T was excellent. I pressed Turkish from Istanbul through all Asia Minor till they surrendered giving up 21 province and 2 provinces to Italy.

Now exhausting and bloody war against Germans. Poland is retaken and couple of South East German provinces are taken but Germans are very stubborn and have more advanced army.

Germany is indeed difficult to defeat, but not impossible. Once you've figured out how they fight, you can win. I discovered they tend to form one large army of 20-30 divisions with which they attack. The key is to create a 'weak' spot in your line, so they attack there. Then launch an offensive in an other position once they occupied that single province and slowly decrease their strength.

Watch out for late 1916 though, as Lenin will destroy your war effort! I actually was once in Küstrin and occupied most of Eastern Germany, then he arrived and dropped my country into civil war. The triggers for the Revolutions depend on occupied and war exhaustion, but don't take into consideration the fact you're winning. And that's silly IMO and should be fixed.

1st of October – 1st of November

October 1914, Russian troops were advancing to Przemysl. 150,000 Russian soldiers charged the Austrian fortress near the city, which was ill-guarded by recently battered troops from Lemberg. After just 8 days the fort fell to the Russians and the 100,000 troops were ordered to strengthen the attack on Stryj.

Przemysl-1.jpg

The combination of the fall of Przemysl and Stanislavov from the Austrians on the 28th of October, the opportunity arose to take Uzgorod and Chust, and thus encircle the 12 Austrian divisions in Stryj, which had recently intensified.

Galicia.jpg

The Battle of Przemysl forced 6 Austrian divisions to retreat towards Stryj. With the arrival of an additional 3 divisions from Stanislavov, the Austrian now had 12 divisions in the city and had turned the tide in their favor. However, 10 recently reinforced divisions from Przemysl and Lemberg were dispatched to the reinforce the Russian positions near the city. Now a total of 19 divisions, reaching almost 150,000 men, were fighting a severely weakened Austrian army.

Stryj.jpg

On the 21st of October the first clash between German and Russian troops took place near Warsaw. Under the leadership of Ludendorff, 58,000 German troops assaulted the fortified city. After 3 days of fighting the Russian withdrew to Siedlice, as the war plan assigned Warsaw as a ‘lost land’ which was not worth the lives of Russian soldiers, yet.

Warsaw.jpg

On the first of November both good news and bad news reached the Russian generals. The French had stopped the German advance in Northern France, but this meant that the bulk of the German army was now arriving in Eastern Germany. Already 500,000 German troops were spotted near Warsaw.

Poland_Nov_1914.jpg

Gosh, they can't be strong everywhere, indeed... but if they are concentrating in the East... Is it possible to have some kind of offensive in the West to keep the Germans busy?

Not the sort of numbers you want to see on your doorstop. Stryj looks like a make-or-break battle for this stage of the war.

stnylan said:
Not the sort of numbers you want to see on your doorstop. Stryj looks like a make-or-break battle for this stage of the war.

I think Stryj province is mountainous. It will be very and very difficult to defeat Austrians there.

Wannabe Tatar said:
Nothing yet. In V:R the Ottoman Empire doesn't start at war, but will join later and it has the chance to stay neutral or join the allies as well (hope it doesn't happen though) Although with an early Austrian defeat neither Romania nor Bulgaria join the war.

I was playing V:R and Romania joined the war after early Austrian defeat. They simply DOWed Austrian Republic which then was invaded by Italians for the second time. However it could be just V:R + Hotfixes bug.

Kurt_Steiner said:
Gosh, they can't be strong everywhere, indeed... but if they are concentrating in the East... Is it possible to have some kind of offensive in the West to keep the Germans busy?

My only hope is that the British launch an assault on Belgian and French shores, otherwise I've to defeat 500,000 Germans.

stnylan said:

Those numbers are dangerous and will pose a threat. My biggest fear is that they'll strike Przemysl and Lemberg, thus delaying my offensive in Austria. Stryj will be finished by the end of November, as I plan to encircle them, but it has proven that Austria won't cave in as easy as I thought.

mnplastic said:
I think Stryj province is mountainous. It will be very and very difficult to defeat Austrians there.

I believe so too, or at least hilly. But with the encirclement that advantage will be evened with their encirclement penalty.

mnplastic said:
I was playing V:R and Romania joined the war after early Austrian defeat. They simply DOWed Austrian Republic which then was invaded by Italians for the second time. However it could be just V:R + Hotfixes bug.

For some weird reason, Austria always re-enters the war in one way or another. I believe Italy declares war upon Austria when entering and not on Germany. Romania also enters the war by declaring war upon Austria (and Germany) but the triggers don't check whether Austria has been knocked out.

Wannabe Tatar said:
the bulk of the German army was now arriving in Eastern Germany. Already 500,000 German troops were spotted near Warsaw.

That's not good, not good at all...

Ach, I wish you would start mentioning it in your last AAr when you start a new.

Good luck, nevertheless. :p

náraiC said:
Excellant read you have a subscriber in me

Another Dubliner! It's been a long time since we've found another. Ah, now we number three.

Wow, this is a very ambitious AAR. And I like that.

Certainly makes it more interesting. First country I'd look out for would be Germany, Austria and the Ottoman Empire would be the weaker of the bunch, as you would expect. But as Germany's harder than usual... Might be problematic.

No, not might... It will be.

I can only wonder why Germany wants to seize Congress Poland at the expense of Hungary…but 500,000 troops anywhere are bad news for STAVKA (or whatever your high command is called :rolleyes: ).

Quirinus308 said:
That's not good, not good at all...

Not one of the most pleasant things to see, but I'm confident Russia will have a nasty surprise for them.

GrimPagan said:
Ach, I wish you would start mentioning it in your last AAr when you start a new.

Good luck, nevertheless. :p

Maybe I'll have to start doing that, yes.

Thank you, I'll need it against the Germans.

Hardstuff said:
Another Dubliner! It's been a long time since we've found another. Ah, now we number three.

Wow, this is a very ambitious AAR. And I like that.

Certainly makes it more interesting. First country I'd look out for would be Germany, Austria and the Ottoman Empire would be the weaker of the bunch, as you would expect. But as Germany's harder than usual... Might be problematic.

No, not might... It will be.

Germany is a threat, that's why I still have my border in the Baltic guarded by troops and slowly retreat out of Congress Poland, but at one point I'll fight time. Austria and the Ottoman Empire are weaker, that's why I knock them out first as I can defeat them 1 on 1, vs Germany I need 10-1 odds or more at times to secure a victory.

In the end, I'm more fearfull of Lenin as Germany. However, if I defeat Germany soon enough they won't sent him.

Fulcrumvale said:
I can only wonder why Germany wants to seize Congress Poland at the expense of Hungary…but 500,000 troops anywhere are bad news for STAVKA (or whatever your high command is called :rolleyes: ).

It indeed is Stavka. And the Germans are sending reinforcements to Austria, but those are small numbers. In any time we can expect an other 20 German divisions being transferred to Austria. Will Russia be able to handle a German offensive in Galicia? I only dare to hope so.

1st of November – 1st of December

For the second month in a row, Stryj would be the center of activity of the Russian Army, but after more as two months of heavy fighting in the forested mountains near the city, the battle came to a close, as Russian forces cut off the Austrian troops from supplies, by taking Uzgorod and Chust. The battle took a heavy toll on both sides, but the battle broke the Austrian army as they lost nearly 15 division, which formed the core of the defense of Galicia. Minor skirmishes took place between Austrian and Russian troops throughout Galicia, but none appeared to be a threat against the Russian offensive.

Stryj2.jpg

On November 9th, the Ottoman Empire joined the war on the side of the Central Powers. As the Turks had been mobilizing for the past 3 months, their joining didn’t come as a surprise, and the Caucasian border was guarded by 3 divisions. Due to logistical problems, Plan T was postponed till the defeat of Austria was a certainty. Meanwhile, the Germans advanced through Congress Poland, taking Warsaw, Plock, Radom, Siedlice and Lomza. Each time the Germans encountered the Russians, they simply withdrew further eastwards hoping to stretch German supply lines and hoping to avoid the bulk of their army. Soon however, the Russian would have no other choice but to fight time, as their advance was closing rapidly on Minsk and Kiev. Their latest advance was directed northwards, towards the Russian harbor of Riga.

German_Poland.jpg

The 700,000 freshly recruited troops arrived at the various fronts in mid- to late November. 10 divisions were sent to reinforce the Northern flank of the Russian army in the Baltic, while an additional 10 divisions were sent to Caucasia and prepare for an assault on the Turkish harbor of Trabzon. The remaining 50 divisions were dispatched to Galicia, where 20 divisions would defend Przemysl and Lemberg against a possible German offensive, while the remaining 30 divisions would assist the professional army in their advance in Slovakia and Transylvania.

North_France.jpg

In the west the French were able to hold the German advance near Lille-Arras and Cambrai. Trench warfare started to set in along the line and both sides would be in for a long hard fight to break the line.

Well, good news from the West, sort-of. Stalemate might well be not enough.

Be careful with the Germans... I'm afraid they may cut your troops in A-H...