• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35351)

Shah of Persia
Oct 18, 2004
The Shahs of Persia: The struggle for an Empire​

Persia could hardly be called an Empire in 1836, but still Mohammed Shah of the Qajar dynasty saw that creating a Persian Empire was a difficult but an achievable goal. Various foreigners, mostly British and Russians, had visited the Shah to gain treaties, but since the betrayal of the British in 1813, the Shah had become really distrusting of foreigners wishing him to sign some sort of treaty.

Persia-2.jpg

Persia in 1836​

The question was whether the Shah would accept the advisors or throw them out. If the Englishmen would be thrown out, then the Shah couldn’t count on future British envoys, but if he would allow them to stay, then things could escalate. The Shah had remembered how the Russian ambassador Alexander Griboyedov was murdered in 1829. More over, accepting the British would certainly mean that Persia would become dependent of Britain for a long time to come.

Mohammadshah.jpg

Mohammad Shah of the Qajar Dynaty​

Compared to Russia and Britain, Persia was weak. But in the region it was a power to be reckoned with. The lawless lands of Central Asia and Afghanistan would pose no threat to Persia, the only possible way they would pose a threat was if Russia or Britain supported them. The Baluchi states between Persia and India, were laughable at best. Their own ruler couldn’t even control his own lands, let alone that he was able to pull off an invasion of Persia. To the west lay Egypt and the Ottoman Empire, of which both were stronger as Persia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all!

Although I was tempted to play as Spain and do an AAR about them, I thought that Spain would be a bit easy. So I decided to do a Persian AAR, for multiple reasons, as it’s a more difficult country to play as and we’ve got an unpleasant neighbour we all know from my last AAR :D

I’m playing on Revolutions now with the latest patch and OHgamers hot fix. I’ve made one small adjustment to the Persian start up, they now have a claim on Herat. I don't have any specific goals at this time, just to civilize and become a power able to withstand British and Russian pressure.

I hope you'll enjoy this AAR!

Taking the techs from the British, I believe, sticks you way out in front of the Ottoman Empire tech-wise. I doubt they'll have caught up before the British come back and make you civilized, too. I'm a bit surprised about Persia's low population, especially compared to others in the region (like Afghanistan!) but admit that historical population is a subject which, for the most part, I know absolutely nothing about. They seem far more powerful than any of their neighbours - at least if they let the English stick around. Arabic and Persian state cultures entitles you to big stretches of the Middle East and North Africa, and Baluchi gives you (in my mind) the right to pre-empt the British and take the far SW of Pakistan.

An ideal arrangement would be double-teaming the Ottomans with Russian help. The Emperor of all the Russias becomes Czar of all Slavs as well, the Ottomans get booted out of their Balkan territories, and - to add insult to injury - they even lose their civilized status. You could then ruthlessly annihilate the remaining Ottoman positions, take territory for 0 bb, and become undisputed master of the whole Middle East. Sadly, the AI Russia is too dumb to realize that it could avoid the Crimean War and grab almost all of the Balkans for near-zero BB cost with the forces it starts with.

I played a while as Persia, running about whacking the local minors. I was saved from the Ottoman Empire's colonial war by the timely intervention of Russia (guarantor of my independence) and by my becoming civilized. Russia and the UK both seem to like you a lot if you go civilized. Personally, I think it could be fun! I might play a game as the Ottoman Empire myself... it's just that after playing as Prussia, land of 80% literacy, seeing 4% literacy in my tech box is disenheartening... Good luck!

Last edited:
I am eagerly awaiting to see how this AAR develops. On the basis of past experience, I am sure we can count on an enthralling tale.

i am very intrigued by the start of this AAR, I will be following

Persia in Vicky is really hard to play.

Actually Vicky is really hard to play; had it for years and still not got the hang of it.

Good luck.

He's Back! Huzzah!

Great nation choice; should be lots of fun to read about.

I'm subscribed.:)

Keep 'em coming!

Paving the path for future expansion​

The British offered the Shah substantial knowledge of western technologies, so the Persians could use this to modernize their country. Muhammad Shah, initially cautious towards the British, realized that reforms were necessary for the modernization of Persia, but on the other hand he knew that relying on the British would make them dependent on them.

When the Persians started to move the Southern Army and the Army of Persia, under direct control from Muhammad, towards the Afghan border, war appeared to be inevitable. Herat, claimed by Persia as theirs, but under Afghan control, would lead to a war between the two strongest powers in the region. Russian advisors had arrived in the court of the Shah, offering him help to gain the fortified city of Herat, which the Shah refused. He didn’t need Russian help to gain the city, as the British had given him all the knowledge needed to subdue the Afghan stronghold.

Herat.jpg

The fortress of Herat​

Although the British wanted to see Herat remaining under Afghan control, the growing power of Ranjit Singh would prove the British unable to sent any helps to the Dost Muhammad Khan, ruler of Afghanistan.

With Persian troops gathering near the Persian-Afghan borderlands, Muhammad Shah waited for the right opportunity to strike, which came by the end of April, 1836. The Herat Company, assembled just for the conquest of Herat, moved quickly to the city, while the other 2 armies moved across the border. The army of Persia was well trained and the Afghans were no match for them. Herat fell within weeks to the armies of Persia.

Afghan_offensive1.jpg

Initial offensive against Afghanistan​

The Afghans, under the leadership of Dost himself, put most of their effort of driving the Persians out from Farah, but they couldn’t break enemy lines. The Shah marched with his army to Kandahar, where he would lay siege to the city. Slowly the Afghans were being pushed back, and realizing that they were not able to withstand the Persians, Dost tried to convince the Shah in signing peace.

But the Shah, now smelling victory, continued his advance towards Ghazni and Mazar I Sharif. Although Ghazni didn’t fell to the Persians, Mazar I Sharif did, bringing the Persians within less as 100 kilometres from Kabul. The Shah moved his troops closer to Kabul and when his troops were at the outskirts of the city, Dost was quickly to offer peace. All province currently occupied, with the exception of Mazar I Sharif, would be seceded to the Persian. The Shah realized that if the war would drag on, the probability of a British intervention force being sent to Afghanistan would increase, so he accepted the treaty offered to him.

Afghan_peace.jpg

Afghan peace offer​

Immediately after the war, the Persian army was reformed, now all armies had to consist of 2 divisions each. When a bunch of young nobles, who saw the war against Afghanistan as a sign of things to come, the Cavalry Army was formed, consisting of only cavalry. Another 2 divisions were recruited to complete the Persian Army and the Southern Army of Persia.

East_Persia1.jpg

Eastern Persia in 1839​

Things seemed to go well at the beginning of 1839, as the Shah already planned his next target for a future war. The Baluchian states in the South were a tempting target, but so was Central Asia, especially with the riches of Buchara and Samarkhand. A far more tempting target was the densely populated and rich Punjab, but they were currently at war with Britain, so if the Shah wished to gain Punjab, he had to be quick.

Quick indeed, but there are a quite a few states up there on the NW frontier that you ought to be able to snap up before the Brits.

Nice start. What are your relations with the UK and Russia?

stnylan I've to be quick indeed, and if I've a chance I might be able to snap up some other nearby countries. Just have to watch out for badboy.

Fulcrumvale My relation with Russia is +29, and with the British I've +40, so now i'm in the clear, but I doubt both like it when I snap up some of their wanted territory.