• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35351)

Shah of Persia
Oct 18, 2004
The Dutch Empire Strikes Back

Coat_of_arms_of_the_Netherlands.png

The year was 1836, in less as 100 years the Dutch have lost almost all their colonial holdings, excepting Indonesia. And now they were about to lose even the south. How did the Dutch sink so deep? Could they ever restore their once glorious empire? Willem I of Oranje-Nassau, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxemburg, didn’t know. What could he possibly do?

Willem_I.jpg

Willem I of Oranje-Nassau

In the past people have told him many things, but his new advisor told him something that left him enraged. When asked what to do about the Belgians his advisor, called Floris, adviced him to let them go. The King asked Floris how he could advice such a dishonorable suggestion, on which he answered that the King had bigger fish to fry and Belgium wasn’t going anywere. A knock on the door interrupted the Kings thoughts.

“Your majesty, may I remind you that the execution for Floris is scheduled in 15 minutes.”
‘Of course, I almost forgot that. I wouldn’t want to miss it for the world’

After the execution of Floris, a strange young men approached the King and asked him whether he needed a new advisor. The King answered positively and invited the young men for a cup of tea. The young men, carefull of what he said to the king, said he knew a way to regain old glory for the Netherlands. Willem was now impressed, he had told no one about his ambitions to regain their old glory. Intrigued he enquired what the young men had in mind to achieve that. He explained that if the Dutch were to regain their empire, they had to let go of Belgium, for now. The last thing they would need was a war with Britain and France. It was time to build their economy and military.

Shortly after the strange young men was appointed as advisor the Great Powers met to discuss the Belgium Question. On advice of his advisor Willem I accepted to recognize Belgium independence. The following years were quiet. The Dutch slowly expanded their army. After two years their army had increased from 3 infantry divisions and a cavalry division to 2 cavalry divisions, including one cuirassier brigade, and 5 new infantry division were build, including an artillery, guard and regular brigades.
The 2 cavalry division were stationed in Amsterdam, 2 infantry division, with artillery and regular brigades were stationed in Leeuwarden. The other 6 infantry divisions were stationed in Indonesia, spread out over Sumatra, Java and Borneo.

The Dutch Empire was ready to expand. But where? Formosa was a tempting target, it was unguarded and China was at war with Britain. Eastern South Africa was another tempting target, if they managed to subdue the Zulus Dutch forces could push forward and add the various Boer republics to their Empire. Building trade posts, coaling stations and missions were out of reach for the Dutch, since they lacked the machine parts to do it.

It’s February 1841 now, King Willem I abdicated and his son Willem II took the throne. Willem II was as eager as his father to restore the lost glory of the Dutch Empire, but unlike his father he didn’t have full fate in the strange advisor, who didn’t seem from this time.

End of Part I

I always wanted to play the Dutch and see if it’s possible to restore their empire. I doubt it will be easy since it will involve wars against two of the most stubborn countries in the world, the US and the UK.

I play the game on a regular (no mods) Victoria with the latest patch and hotfixes. There are 2 modifications, first I changed the ruling party to Conservatieven instead of some French party. And I changed the establishment to traditional instead of banker-science.

Thanks for the interest, I'm sure I can get the 'lesser' colonies back (Formosa, parts of Brazil) but the 'big' ones (Nieuw Amsterdam, Kaap de Goede Hoop, Ceylon, Malacca, Bengal, Guyana and South-West India) will be difficult. But hopefully I'll succeed.

For the people who don't know what I mean by their glorious empire, see this map.

Next update will follow tomorrow!

Well, getting those parts in the USA and the British Empire will certainly be a challenge! You'll probably have to do a good bit of extending beyond what the old Dutch Empire once had...

I say declare war on the US at the very begining. The US will never be as weak as they are right now, and your 5 infantry should be more than enough to finish them off.

anonymous4401 said:
Well, getting those parts in the USA and the British Empire will certainly be a challenge! You'll probably have to do a good bit of extending beyond what the old Dutch Empire once had...

Who says I'll just expand to what the Dutch held historically? There are still some juicy targets left in SE Asia.

Quirinus308 said:
I say declare war on the US at the very begining. The US will never be as weak as they are right now, and your 5 infantry should be more than enough to finish them off.

I already played till around 1870 and that strategy isn't an option anymore, but won't the US declare war on me every 5 years? At least that has been my past experience with holding US cores. My only hope of winning against the both of them is to have them fight each other, or involve 2-3 other GPs (France, Prussia/Germany and Russia)

Actually I was just joking around, but yea the US will keep coming back after you unless you are in a position of strength, and they don't want any piece of you.

Very good start. I'll be watching this with interest.

I would suggest stuff but seeing as how I dont own this game I'll shut up.

It looks like it will be good. I'll watch it.

The Dutch Empire Strikes Back: Part II

The Dutch Empire Strikes Back
part II

During the reign of Willem II Holland experience a tremendous growth. Experiment Railroads and Mechanical production were discovered. Two brand new factories were build, a fabric factory in Friesland and a Lumber mill in Holland.
On advice of the advisor Willem II didn’t neglect the army, two native infantry divisions with a regular and an artillery brigade were constructed and deployed on the island of Sumatra. Despite the advisors obsession with overseas expansion, the King didn’t neglect the homeland defence. Two infantry division, with the same brigades as the earlier constructed native divisions, were deployed in Leeuwarden.

The army stationed in Leeuwarden before, had gotten a special assignment. The advisor knew that King Willem II was afraid of war, especially if European intervention would arrive, however after the annexation of Natalia, a Boer Republic, the advisor managed to convince the King that expansion in South Africa was needed to protect Dutch interests in the area.
The Zulus were a weak target and bordering the remaining two Boer republics. The young advisor convinced Willem II that the only way to protect the Boers was to have a permanent base in South Africa, if necessary the Boers would fall under direct rule from Amsterdam.

ZULU_WAR.jpg

Decleration of War on the Zulus

The war with the Zulus was harder as expected. The Battle of Zululand lasted almost 3 months before the Zulus were defeated. Estimated losses were 15,000 or more for the Zulus and Dutch losses amounted to 4,535. On 29 April 1842 the Dutch completed their mission to bring civilization to the Zulus.

Isandlwana.jpg

Battle for Zululand

Meanwhile back in Europe, the intentions of the Dutch were increasingly attracting attention, both wanted and unwanted. The strange young advisor, whose name remains unknown, managed to convince not one, but two foreign scientists to defect. To make things better the two scientists had both made an unexpected break through.

Jan_Baptist_van_der_Hulst_-_Koning_Willem_II_en_familie.jpg

Willem II and his family

Unfortunately the prosperous rule of Willem wasn’t meant to be. In the night of March 17, 1849, he died. And his succesor, Willem III, rose to the throne.

Willem III didn’t trust his advisor at all. Sure he might have let Holland in to a new era, but at what price? He know had a nation screaming for it’s old colonies and Great Powers watching his every move. When Britain declared war upon China in 1851 both Willem and his advisor were watching the events with great interest. This could be their way to Taiwan.
When Britain forced her peace demands on China, Willem declared war upon China. Not trusting his advisor which such a delicate issue as Taiwan, he gave him the command of the invasion of mainland China.

The advisor knew pretty well that capturing Taiwan was as easy as taking candy from a baby, he accepted his task. The Southern part of the island had already fallen under Dutch control when the 2nd Infantry division arrived in Tiajin. In less as a month Tiajin had fallen. A counter attack from the Chinese on 7 August didn’t pose any real threat and was quickly repelled. Seven days later they arrived in Beijing, finding it unguarded. However several scouting parties had spotted a massive Chinese army of 100,000 men coming for Beijing

The Chinese Emperor, still in Beijing, was surprised when Willems advisor entered his palace. The emperor facing severe rebellions at home, had no choice but to accept the demands of the Dutch advisor. Taiwan was now back in Dutch hands!

Formosa.jpg

Dutch Formosa

Upon hearing the news of a peace treaty conclude with the Chines, Willem III wasn’t terribly pleased with his advisor. Yes, he had gained Taiwan, but there was something wrong about him. And the King knew he was loved by the Dutch population, as he expanded the Lumber Mill and the Fabric Factory, build railroads across the country, but yet he still hasn’t proved himself. Both China and the Zulus are a bunch of uncivilized tribes. Britain and the US would be something completely different.

The advisor knowing that the King was displeased towards him came up with a plan to convince him his worth to the Dutch court. There were two options, either fight Britain or the US or Holland should expand in their sphere of influence. A direct fight with either Britain or the US would certainly mean the end of the Dutch Empire at this early stage. The best way to expand was in their spheres of influence. This would either mean a war against Brazil, or a war against the Boer states, but the King would never order a war against either Brazil or the Boer states. So the advisor was on his own.

Seems the King and his advisor are acting at cross purposes. Not going to see much happen like that. One clearly has to go. I wonder which one.

Huh, it's strange. In the Transvaal AAR, that guy also annnexed the Zulus and took Taiwan from China!

Hmmm...thats weird indeed. Although I've only conquered them for historical purposes. Ok, I admit, the Netherlands never controlled Eastern South Africa, but still. All will be clear in the next update.

Also, I must say I'm honored that such well-known people are reading and commenting on my AAR.

And there will be a next update tomorrow! (Although it could be that part IV will be released somewhere in August)

anonymous4401 said:
Huh, it's strange. In the Transvaal AAR, that guy also annnexed the Zulus and took Taiwan from China!
What are you saying, that they have a telepatic link? Or have a digital/cosmic intertwined combined linkage? Or is he just copying?

What are you trying to say? huh? huh?

And no need to be honored, I appreciate a well written and nicely formatted AAR anyday over any pretentious ones.... keep it up

Spuzzter said:
China is an easy target, pure and simple.

True, but my main goal was to get Formosa (Taiwan) back in the Dutch-Chinese war. I just had to wait till China was reached -100 prestige.