• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{It's not that we need 100 heavy ships, but 10 or 20 works perfectly as a damage absorber, leaving our galleys to make all possible damage without getting destroyed}}

{{The Aztecs have 30 heavy ships and 165 light ships, compared to our 47 light ships and 149 galleys... we really only need a few heavy ships, but considering their income is nearly twice ours and how expensive heavy ships are... I do think Naval would be better, unless Czoklet just spams light ships... though, truth be told, economy or quality seem more useful, and if we aren't limited by idea types then economy might well be the way to go. Are there even going to be any pagans for the Exploration CB to be used on? It always annoyed me that I had to take exploration for the explorers when all I wanted was to get to India and conquer everything...}}

Reactions:
ARCHIVES OF PANDIDAKTERION
1483-1496
VOYAGES OF KERMANOS

1Bwfbiy.jpg

GeQu13x.jpg

M5XxjpF.jpg

Ovy6MZA.jpg

iVZysSC.jpg

0Avp7c6.jpg

g3QVJft.jpg

QoZDGh3.jpg

IFN53of.jpg

O1WOuVs.jpg

q9GDmz5.jpg

3ME1LSt.jpg

FNrOvlL.jpg

mwkOsO0.jpg

Loeu49k.jpg

B4uW7rP.jpg

jVKt5rB.jpg

Reactions:
Michael Komnenos, President of the Senate:

Michael Komnenos sits silently on ebony armchair with two eunuchs standing by his side, one of them carrying the Fasces of the Imperial Senate. His eyes are closed, his breath slow and deep. Wrinkled face of the old man is calm and he himself seems to be far away from this place, in places and moments long gone. Suddenly there is movement in Magnaura – a guardsman of the Imperial Senate standing firmly by the door wearing ceremonial klivanion with kontarion spear in his right hand and spathion sword suspended from leather baldric is approached by one of the eunuchs. They speak quietly for a while glancing at the President of the Senate. Finally the eunuch bows and returns to his place behind the columnade where every word said by the noble Senators is being written down by servants of the Great Palace. The guardsman leaves his post and slowly approaches the armchair of the President, ignored by the Senators absorbed by the vivid debate. He whispers something to the ear of the eunuch holding, golden Imperial Two-Headed Eagle atop the Fasces casting shadow on their faces. The guardsman then bows slightly, turns around and returns to his place, while the eunuch gently touches Michael Komnenos' shoulder. He open his eyes confused. The eunuch whispers something into his ear and nods towards the red curtains separating the throne from the Great Hall and then towards the Senators. Michael Komnenos sighes and raises his right hand in a dismissive gesture, his other hand inviting the second eunuch to help him raise from his seat.

The carrier of the Fasces hits the stone floor of Magnaura with its iron ending, then bows before now standing Michael Komnenos and hands him the Fasces. Silence fills the Great Hall as all Senators stop talking and turn towards the armchair in the middle of the room. President of the Senate leans on the sceptre and raises his left hand.

Noble Senators! I was told that our esteemed guest, Megas Droungarios of the Imperium Romanum and Megas Doux of the Imperial Navy, is still occupied by matters of the Imperial Council and therefore will arrive in these walls later. His Excellency apologizes for this unfortunate turn of events and assures the Senate that he was looking forward to this Session and meeting all of the noble Senators. His Excellency hopes that before this day is over his duties as a member of the Imperial Council will no longer hold him back from joining us in Magnaura. - Michael Komnenos pauses for a moment – His Excellency also asks you for forgiviness, for the documents which were supposed to be delivered to you before the Session were, hmm, withold longer than necessary due to, hmm, a simple misunderstanding, yes. Mhm. – Michael Komnenos nods towards the eunuchs waiting in the columnade and as they approach puzzled Senators he continues – This is the report of Scrinium Barbarorum concerning expedition of droungarios Kermanos. His Excellency hopes that you will find its content useful and assures you that those responsible for, hmm, mishandling of the documents will be punished accordingly. Now... – Michael Komnenos smiles - It's past midday and I imagine you are tired after debating the matters of such great importance since dawn, not to mention you have to read the report before His Excellency arrives. However... – Michael Komnenos points his index finger at the Senators – The contains of this report were for the eyes of His Imperial Majesty and the Imperial Council only for over 20 years. It was only recently that the blessed Autokrator Basileios III Angelos – long may he reign – decided to share them with the Senate. - Komnenos pauses for a brief moment and continues in a low, firm tone, suddenly abandoning his senile facade - [/b] They still remain the state secret of the Imperium Romanum and whoever shares them or speaks about them beyond the walls of Magnaura commits high treason. Nothing can protect you from the wrath of the sacred Emperor, not even senatorial dignity – keep this in mind, lest your Houses will turned into ashes. - [/b] President of the Senate looks carefully at each Senator and then continues in what Senators assumed was a normal voice of the old man – Now, hmm, were where I? Oh yes, the peristyle. – He gently hits the floor with Fasces - I hereby announce recess of the Fourth Senate Session. – Komnenos nods towards the two guardsmen standing by the door leading to the garden of Magnaura who immediately open them – Food and beverages are prepared for you in the peristyle as per order of His Imperial Majesty. Eat, drink, refresh yourselves, walk in the garden or sit by the fountains and when the time is ready I'll sent for you and the debate will continue. – Michael Komnenos hands over the Fasces to the eunuch and sits in his armchair.

{{ Another new thing I wanted to introduce this Session – recess! :) During recess the debate is suspended: this means that your characters MAY NOT talk publicly (adressing all Senators). You may however talk in private with whoever you want: members of your Demes, members of other Demes or unaffiliated Senators. Eat, drink and socialize but remember, you may only talk with few other Senators at the same moment.

The Factions may also organize a (very) short meeting of all their members during the break.

The recess will last more or less 12 hours and after that we will resume the debate.
}}

Reactions:
{{Beating on African states is a tried and true European imperial pastime, no reason Rome would be different.
I like the recess idea. Scheming in the gardens... mayhaps an assassination or two... yes, I like.}}

{{Wow, this session is building up to be the best ever, maby expect of that glorious tutorial session.
By the way, in-demes conversation (for example *speaking to the blue demes only*) is allowed, yes? Bickering for demes leadership is fun (and provided some glorious moments like the Colombo-Moustekas wars) but doesn't make sense in speeches for the whole Senate :p}}
{{ It is indeed :)

Yes, it is allowed but I suggest that you use time of recess for private conversations. And if you can't post during this recess don't worry, if there will be a need we may make another one.

*Christoforo Colombo has joined the WHITE Demes.*
*Sits back down*
{WILDCARD, BITCHES!}
:D }}

{{Oh, wow, that's dramatic. And also a very "I TOLD YOU!" moment of the blue demes and I guess that also an, um, uncomfortable moment for Christofoto.
When can we begin to scheme with other Senators privately? :D}}

{{Well damn. I did not expect that Ceylon would be christian, this changes everything. On that note, unaffiliateds ASSEMBLE!}}

{{ I guess we can begin now, no ? }}

Senator Alexandros Raoul :

*Alexandros drinks a cup of wine brought by a eunuch while looking at the crowd of sentors gathering there. he calls for senator Salamis and they sit near of the magnificent fountains of the garden, refreshed by the water behind them*

Senator Salamis, I think we need to talk about the Demes. I know you long for the position of leader as I do. But I think you will understand that we have to unite. I prefer being left out than having that kakoi Kastelos becoming leader of the Demes. At least for other issues, the Blues agree : naval reforms, exploration and support of our companies for colonization are understood by most. I think we should try to win over the Reds although if the Whites can be tamed then we should welcome them too. At least make them swear on their Honour to fulfill their obligations ; I will not do the mistakes of my grandfather.
So what do you say Antiochos ?

Indian news sure were interesting don't you think ? Even if heretics we have found Christians. Who knows if these followers of St Thomas aren't spread in the Spice Islands too ?

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos (The Blues)

*As the recess begins, Titos excuses himself for a while. Nature course, as he said. He is gone for a few minutes and returns after a while in a very good moot, before he is taking a look at the papers of the Kermanos expedition.*

*A few minutes later, a eunuch is delivering a letter to senators COLOMBO and SERAPIS of the white demes.*

Hornoured Senator Colombo, hornoured Senator Serapis,

both of you have shown have sympathy towards my proposal of economic reform – and why not, since the field of administration is falling in your demes field of competence – and so have many of the reds and even some blues would likely support this policy, not to speak of the unaffiliated.

Now due to internal politics of the blue demes I'm not able to openly propose and amendment to the senatus consultum at this point, but if you would do so, I would throw my support behind it to help bring this amendment to the vote and would then throw my vote behind it in the end.

Think about this, your demes stands to gain from this.
Maybe even an additional member.

Senator Melissenos

{{ I guess we can begin now, no ? }}
{{ Sure, go ahead.

As for Megas Droungarios - be patient, he will surely arrive at the Session and you will have opportunity to ask him all sorts of questions. Including those concerning the discoveries in the East... ;)

On a general note - I'm really glad to see that this Session goes so well and that all of you are enjoying it. Keep up the good work, Senators!

gQgPEsZ.jpg

}}

Reading this AAR from sidelines makes me feel like you guys are playing Werewolf. I'm half-wondering whether there's some secret machinations via PMs and all... anyway, that was some nice read thus far. Thanks, all of you.:D

Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

*Marcus tries to hide his grin as he reads the new reports. Christians have been found. Nations that have somehow resisted the might of the Horde and the Timurds exist in the East. Scaning across the Senate, his eyes stop on Senator Salamis. Marcus approaches his fellow Blue Deme.*
My friend, this report is what we have needed since this Session began. We should face no opposition now to fund another expedition or to vassalize Ceylon. What do you think of these newly discovered nations in Hindustan and Africa? I'm curious how powerful they are, particularly those in Hindustan. They share a border with Timurds yet survive. Do they have powerful allies further inland or are they powerful on their own?

Senator Antiochos Salamis (Blue demes):
*After reading the reports, Antiochos is approached by a glad Senator Arrius. He listens, then answers to his fellow Senator.*
Yes, this report is very gladdening- a real blow to those fanatics. I don't know about those other nations- I will have to inspect the maps more closely when we exit- but something Which caught my eyes was what seem to be tip of an island- or maybe it is connected to the mainland further south- in the south of eastern Africa. It seems big, perhaps it is uninhabited and we can colonize it to make it a glorious southern province?
Now, shall we exit Magnura to eat, drink and think?
*Antiochos exits Magnaura and stands in the fresh air, pondering for a while. He was dressed in a traditional Roman Senator's clothes, his hair short and blonde, inherited from his mother. He begins thinking to himself.*
"So", he thinks, "I need to get business going. There's no real recess in the Senate after all- it's all politics and schemes. I should probably find someone to scheme with. Hm, Senator Arrius is already advocating this deal we brewed and seems like an ally, no point in seeking him again. I will also have enough time to sow salt on the wounds of those who opposed the vassalization of Ceylon in the debate... Maybe talk to Melissenos, to see where he's standing? Maybe Raoul, our alliance is important, even through their representative is this arrogant Alexandros... Or Kastelos, we may be able to forge something. Or maby this interesting unaffiliated, Junius. Or..." His thoughts are interrupted as he is approached by Alexandros, who invites him to a conversation by the fountain. "Raoul it is, I guess", thinks Antiochos as he finishes his wine, pours some more and accompanies Alexandros.
*In a response to Alexandros' words*
Yes, my friend Alexandros, the discoveries of Kermanos were quite shocking. A big blow to the head for those who opposed vassalizing Ceylon.
Now, yes, we have to keep our demes united. I will admit, I have this little ambition of beign a leader, unlike my father and unlike my late older brother, who would be here instead of me if not for the wretched Xenoi. However, I would never endanger our faction for it. I will gladly stand for one of the candidates for the sake of unity. But, my friend, we need to admit- our faction needs fresh leadership. Having house Raoul, which is very dear to me, sitting on the throne for so many years may seem... wrong for outsiders. I am, however, sure that you can be a good leader and you have a high chance to recieve my support- let's also admit, as your house is so closely related to mine it would also fit my interests. However, I have not yet decided and will only decide after speaking with the other candidates. I also ask you to stop this... war with Senator Kastelos. In my opinion, he is much better than his father and it may be beneficial to cooperate with him. What do you say, my friend?
{{ I have to go now, alrady a late hour here, so I will have to continue this conversation tommorow- a really interesting session! :)}}

Last edited:
{{ Czoklet, I think it would be best to leave the recess until tomorrow night. 24h of debate/24h of recess seems a good option. And if recess does not attract as much discussion as simple debate you can still reduce the time :) }}

Senator Alexandros Raoul :

It is what I was thinking too. We do not want the Blues to appear as Raoul's property, don't we ? *Upon saying these words, Alexandros wears a cynical mask, showing how little he believes in these words* My grandfather helped your family and your family helped mine, despite the dishonorable comportment of my uncle, may his Soul burn in Hell, showed to one of your women.
I see that you want me to end that feud but it is not in my possibilities. The Kasteloi have plagued trade since the First Session of the Senate, selling forbidden goods with the approval of dynatoi and aristoi, always eager to get their hands on these goods. And bringing Hadrianos into that was unforgivable. Only if he were to apologize on his knees, would I consider such an outcome.
I will leave you now, honorable friend, the meals the Palace has provided us wwith seem delicious and the Session was very tiring. You should organize an unformal meeting of the blues before the Session begins anew. With Senator Arrius, you are one of the most compliant members and I'm sure even that viper will agree to this. Enjoy this recess, Senator and believe in your friends for they believe in you too.

*Alexandros leaves the fountain and walks toward the great tables brought by the eunuchs, wondering what would result of all this. He already saw himself vestarches or any other honor given by the Palace. A sad thing they forbid the wearing of purple, he would have looked fit in it ... *

Reading this AAR from sidelines makes me feel like you guys are playing Werewolf. I'm half-wondering whether there's some secret machinations via PMs and all... anyway, that was some nice read thus far. Thanks, all of you.:D
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy it. Though s far as the Senate goes it's all thanks to our dear Senators - I'm only moderating the debate. It's kinda like being a GM in D&D again ;)
Senator Antiochos Salamis (Blue demes):
{{By the way, a suggestion- making compromises and deals official in the AAR. In the amendment suggesting and voting we will have to mention that the voting/amending is part of a deal and if the deal includes something for the future, we will be reminded of it before the next Senate session in which it will be relevant (for example, we will be reminded about an idea deal in the next session which will discuss idead}}
{{ I think it would be great. No more : "a promise, what are you talking about :p " }}
{{I am for remembering promises but not for doing them binding. Circumstances can change in many ways. For example, now our economy is bad as it was in last session but who suspected the Navy would be the main topic of this senate session in the previous one? No one, I am almost sure. The same applies to our senators. Mine have been both Reds but I am not sure if the next one will be red too and feel tighten to a deal made in the past by another family member...}}
{{Yes, we shouldn't be forced to uphold the deal. I like the idea of looking down on every house for the rest of the AAR that breaks a deal.}}
{{Yes, of course, promises should never be binding, but a reminder would be nice :)}}
{{ This is a very good idea, we shall do this starting this Session! And obviously no promises will ever be binding. You are supposed to be politicians, remember? :p The catch being obviously that if your Senator continues to lie while everybody knows that he/his House is not to be trusted, well, good luck making any deals then.
{{What's our tech like? for that matter what's the Aztec/Pisan tech like? Tech 7 is cannons IIRC, how far are we from the next heavy/light ship? For that matter, a general overview of our debt war exhaustion etc would be useful.}}
{{See the state of the world, 1520 edition, there's a link to it from the first page}}
All current information concerning the Imperium is available in "State of the World (1520)" update available from a link on the first page as Zqrfmb said. If you have more questions, there will be time to ask them to Megas Droungarios.
{{OK guys I've let this discussion be mostly in-character long enough to try to be very nice but now i'm talking out of character to bring up some gameplay mechanics. The most recent version of EU4 Does not allow nations to have over 50% idea groups in one particular area of expertise. Meaning our good man in charge Cannot pick anything that is not Diplomacy group at this time. The next gameplay mechanic I want to speak of is the idea that we can vassalize Ceylon. I'm not completely sure I admit but i'm about 90% sure that we would need to get territory right next to them and have about 6 more dip reputation to have any chance to convince them peacefully to our cause. Otherwise it would take a CB that we don't have. So basically we shouldn't be having this discussion right now. 40 years down the line, maybe, now no.}}
This limitation doesn't really work like this:

ijwmwgN.jpg

You can't have MORE tha 50% of Ideas Groups of one type. Which means that (as you can see on the screenshot from 1 January 1520) we can choose any Idea Group now (except for Humanism because that's heresy) BUT if the Senate chooses, say, some MIL Idea Group it would prevent taking more Military Ideas until there less than 50% of chosen Idea Groups are MIL. To quote eu4wiki.com:
You can not pick a new idea group of a certain type (ADM/DIP/MIL) if more than 50% of your current groups are of that type. Exactly 50% is okay.
I would advise against taking another ADM Idea Group right after we finished one but hey,giving advice is your job ;) For the sake of the Imperium and my campaign please choose wisely though.

Also remember that picking Idea Group means giving associated Faction 100 influence as per the table below; the modifiers of such Demes will apply for a rather long time (c.10 years), so keep this in mind.

ZTidGvN.jpg

As for technical things like mothballing etc. - I have all the DLCs to EU4, so all such options restricted to DLCs are available to us.

As for Ceylon - we shall talk about it later :)
{{ Czoklet, I think it would be best to leave the recess until tomorrow night. 24h of debate/24h of recess seems a good option. And if recess does not attract as much discussion as simple debate you can still reduce the time :) }}

I agree.

RECESS WILL LAST UNTIL 10:00 p.m. 2 MAY (SATURDAY)

We have lots of time and you need to think about Faction Bonuses and Faction Leader elections, so it won't hurt to have a little longer recess IMHO. Plus what Attalus said :) }}

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reading this AAR from sidelines makes me feel like you guys are playing Werewolf. I'm half-wondering whether there's some secret machinations via PMs and all... anyway, that was some nice read thus far. Thanks, all of you.
Image1.gif
{{Don't give us ideas.}}
Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna of the Red Demes:
The noble senator downs the rest of his red wine, rises languidly and walks, almost leisurely, to the great tables. Christians in Hindustan... it is a sign from God, surely, that these wayward lambs shall be brought into the Empire....

He is frustrated by his fellow Red Demes, surely they cannot be so blind as to see the use, nay the necessity, of a grand navy? To crush the Pisans, and invade across the Sunset Sea... the fools were content merely with what was in front of them... and worse, the proposed compromise, while useful, would do little to benefit the Red Demes as a faction. He supported the navy, yes, but as a weapon to strike at the Xenoi, because he is firmly convinced the old way of doing things- of merely being content with European wars on land and sending thousands of brave Romans to die frivolosuly- will not end the threat in the long term. If the Xenoi were to invade again next year, what good would economic reforms do them? And the Morosini- ah, if he could only bring the Senators to the Arsenal, to see what Roman industry could accomplish, each piece in its place, men united in one holy purpose...
Yet there was more to it than that. On this issue alone he would vote with the Blues, but no further- the merchants had built a fine city, it was true, and they could prove useful tools in service to the Empire. But they must be reminded of their place. The privileges of the Aristocracy must be preserved, lest the misers grow beyond their breeches and dare to hold office over their betters... He summons his servant, with his red. Marrying into wealth may be distasteful to the more hidebound of his relatives, but it had its benefits. Money talked, simply put. And a gentleman had needs. Expensive needs. Needs the hidebound fools on the mainland could not fulfill.
And he knew which way the wind was blowing... naval reforms may well pass. It would depend on the unity of the Red Demes, and where the unaffiliated fell. Of the two potential leaders, senator Scipion seemed the more reasonable, the more willing to compromise. He seeks him out, and- quietly- speaks to him.

"I am willing to support your candidacy, on the condition that the next reform be a strengthening of the aristocracy. I do believe the Empire must someday seek to reform our fleets to meet the Xenoi in battle, and make the Mediterranean a Roman lake, but I recognize this is a long-term goal and am willing to accede it for the nonce for the sake of the Reds. Beyond this reform I am not willing to let the merchants spend Roman gold in pursuit of their profits unless it is made abundantly clear to them that they are our servants and inferiors... we should be sending ships west, not east."

{{Ah the problem with playing a hardliner Red, I could see him supporting military ideas or the ecnomic reforms, but its hard to imagine being able to have him in character support the naval reforms short of an act of Markos.
but then again, that's half the fun of this}}