• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Wow, this session is building up to be the best ever, maby expect of that glorious tutorial session.
By the way, in-demes conversation (for example *speaking to the blue demes only*) is allowed, yes? Bickering for demes leadership is fun (and provided some glorious moments like the Colombo-Moustekas wars) but doesn't make sense in speeches for the whole Senate :p}}

Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna of the Red Demes:
"The administration has already been reformed, the most pressing problem is the navy. All those who think it exists solely to ferry troops- I again remind you of the African campaign. Were we to limit the fleet to mere transports then we invite the heathens to raid the Mediterranean as they will."
Petrus Taurinus (Reds)
*Petrus is smiling as he watches the unfolding discussion, he senses the potential for the Blues to finally lose power after so many years dominating the Empire. ,
*to his fellow Reds:*
It would seem if we supported the economic reforms and a military investment we may able to persuade the unaffiliated to stand with us, as well as the Whites, well, the White, with you good senator's support, I would lead the Reds in proposing that the senate adopt the economic reforms and a focus on the development of the military. (Economic Ideas and Military Focus)
*he frowns*
As a member of the Red Demes I would prefer that our reforms went towards the military but such a proposal seems uncertain of success, and in any case, economic reforms are far superior to the alternative naval proposal that would likely only succeed in bankrupting the Empire.
A strong navy will support the army, and may itself deter future invasions. The risk is too great to leave the oceans of the world uncontested. We must oppose the Xenoi and their ilk whenever and wherever we area able/
Senator Alexios Serapis of the White Demes
"True, the Xenoi are capable of invading and raiding our shores, though the historical record shows they use that ability poorly. The problem is that they seem capable of doing so no matter what our navy tries to do to stop them. Will a handful more or bigger ships make a difference, even equipped with heathen sorcery? I doubt it. Our armies suffered in the desert because their strategy relied on naval supply which failed to show. We chose the location of our fight and those troubles could have been avoided."
"As for fighting them in their home-land, Senator Este-Ravenna, I admire your audacity. But that can only be a very long term goal. One we will never reach unless we first strengthen the Imperium internally."
For nearly two centuries the Imperium has fought for the soul of Europe. Not once has any soldier of Christ our Lord seen the lands of the demon worshippers, much less struck at them. I believe the lack of naval innovation to be at least somewhat responsible for this development- for the best defense is a good attack. We cannot seek only to react, to reclaim what once was taken.
Senator Alexandros Raoul
*Alexandros has stayed calm since the beginning of the Session only greeting the nobles he knew there. He did not like that Kastelos, too brave, too insolent ; he might be a problem to become leader of the Blue Demes. It was sad to see the Blues reduced to such few numbers but well it meant less opponents in the end. Anyway he was well in his forties, wearing rich clothes but few jewelry. All in his person showed his nobility, and he would challenge anyone denying it.*
*He rises and speaks*

"Fellow senators and servants of the Imperium, this debate has seen interesting developments, I won't deny it. I don't think I need to present myself and for those who do not know me, well it may be time gentlemen to inform yourselves of your superiors in the Imperium.
I have to say that I will not be long and I will reserve my thoughts for when our honored guest eventually arrives. Already what I can say is that Aquitaine must be crushed. Their lands are rich and will be better under our admnistration than the one of a fool and heretic. That I think is one decision we all share, at least I hope. One must not forget that the war with the Horde is not finished and ur admnistration might find difficult to organize all these territories at once. Such a thing will be true if we suddenly decide to give more funds to the admnistration instead of following the benevolent and righteous advice of our Emperor -St Markos bless him.
The Navy is in dire needs of reform, all can agree on that. We must not forget what our ancestors did in their time for history is often an acquisition for the future, honorable senators. The Athenian strategos, Themistocles said that "the one who rules the sea, rules everything" and that is the truth. Some will say that navy is inferior to the army and I think it is wrong. Should our navy form a wall of wood across the Western Ocean, then no Xenoi swarm would ever threaten us ! A powerful navy would have alleviate the problem of supplies for the glorious Imperial tagmata. I know I might not see it happening in my lifetime but I cherish this project will all my heart.
Also I present myself for the position of leader of the Blues and thus succede my grandfather -St Markos bless him- to protect the interets of the Imperium that are clearly threatened by the other Demes who only see their interests as important. Inflation is a dire problem but fighting it would only overstretch what was reformed in the last decades. Strenghtening the navy will also offer us the ability to maybe one day establish a real thalassocracy like the Athenian archè, and will strengthen trade along with the Imperial Navy. To deny the truth given by the Emperor, counseled by God, is foolish, dear nobles and I think we must bear the burden of finances a while longer ... If I'm chosen by you honorable Blues then I will help organize a special charter company to continue the colonization of all lands available to us. Funj which was recently vassalized must be integrated to open a gate to the rich lands of West Africa.
For how this reform will be done, I will await the advices of the Megas Droungarios. I must say however to not listen without thinking to the proposals of Senator Kastelos. He paints himself as a war hero but for him to survive where all others failed he must not have been close to danger. His predecessor was a treacherous one and I fear he inherited his vices .... "
Wise words indeed, noble Raoul. The army has won many victories, but without a strong fleet to deter future attacks these shall always be uneasy in their safety.

Senator Christoforo Colombo: (Unaffiliated)(for now, look at end)

*Christoforo, the only begotten son of the Great, or Heretic, Domenico Colombo, rises.

Much has changed over the 50-odd years since Domenico came to the Senate. Christoforo was younger then, foolish, naive, and.. heretical. But no one need know of that here. He had always thought it funny that his father, a conservative to the bone by his death, was accused, but he himself had gotten away with much more than an offhand comment on a fellow Senator.

But those days were over. Christoforo's Socotran wife had died in childbirth, and Christoforo swore that he would never find love again. To escape depression, Domenico sought to bury his feelings overseas. He spent years on the expeditions to India and Somalia, yet never found what he was looking for. Sure, there were jewels and spices in Sri Lanka, but the people knew nothing of the true word of God, and knew of no practitioners currently active. Christoforo began to lose hope, as anger slowly built inside of him.

20 Years ago, he snapped. He returned to his quarters in Socotra and Alexandria and burned everything in his libraries. The ancient classics, written by heathens. The heretical tomes of Nestor, the false prophet. The maps and reports of a christianized east, and all artifacts relevant to these things. The only things spared were religious writings by true Christians. For the past twenty years, Christoforo has been an ascetic, focused on the veneration of St. Markos, and the preservation of religious purity in Imperial Policy. Ancient, but still limber from years at sea, Christoforo rises.*

All of you are fools. There is naught but heresy and heathens beyond the known world, and more expeditions will do nothing but confirm that. And add yet more debt to the Imperial Treasury. The Imperium faces threats within and without, we do not need other potential threats to know of our existence. Would the Xenoi have known to come East if the blasted Odin-Worshipers had not poked the sleeping giant 500 years ago?
{No to more expeditions}

Our finances are strained by the interest we are bound to repay to the Pisan, Jewish bankers. They are loathsome creatures, and if we do not regain control over our economy, we are doomed. I am aware that times have changed, and we can no longer just kick them out of the Imperium, but that only means that we have no choice but to reform our economy. Without proper funding, all will suffer, and most severely the Holy Church.
{Supports Economic Ideas}

On the subject of the military, I am ASTOUNDED AND OUTRAGED that ANY senator would support COPYING FROM THE XENOI. The Xenoi are agents of the devil, therefore all things they create are the devil's work. Do we copy Satan? Do we take holidays from the German Pagans are make them our own? NO. The Imperium must be kept clean of heathen creations at all costs, regardless of how effective they are at killing God's true faithful.
{Against switching focus from admin to military}

The Ceylonese are heathens, and will not bend the knee to a Christian power in peace. If we do force them to be our vassals, they must accept Christ into their hearts as well.
{Conditionally supports vassalizing Ceylon}

A new provincial taxation system is in great need. Many of our churches have fallen into disrepair, if we were to raise the taxes on the wealthy, we could certainly help preserve these important places.

May God help you all...

*Christoforo Colombo has joined the WHITE Demes.*
*Sits back down*

{WILDCARD, BITCHES!}

Giacomo tsks disapprovingly. He has heard much of the Colombos, and taken them as a clear warning to remain ever vigilant against the toxin of greed... though he mourns the fall of such capable, reasonable men, and the loss of ancient texts- so long as they contained no overt heresy, or were rooted in pre-Christian times and thus innocent of the sin of defying the extant Church and revelation, strikes him as a waste of possible resources. "Much and more was reclaimed from heathens by Imperial virtue for the benefit of Christians. The rudder and compass, essential to our ships, are supposedly from distant Cathay, the very numbers our mathematicians use are said to originate in Persia or Hindustan or pagan Greece... a sword is a sword, put to good or evil as according to the souls of the men who wield them. Nonetheless I share your concerns, for the soulless xenoi, may well taint any of their fiendish contraptions by their foul nature, whereas the Hindoo or Muslim or Pagan may yet see the light of Christ our savior, as many already have.. was not Rome itself Christianity's greatest worldly foe before Constantine's conversion?" He crosses himself. "I humbly beseech the Blessed Emperor, long may he reign, or the Patriarch, or even both, to mandate decisively to us on this matter, for such as we cannot rightly decide on the morals of their use, though we offer only our most base and unworthy advice as we were instructed by the great and benificent Angeloi, our protectors."

Senator Christoforo Colombo:

On the subject of the military, I am ASTOUNDED AND OUTRAGED that ANY senator would support COPYING FROM THE XENOI. The Xenoi are agents of the devil, therefore all things they create are the devil's work. Do we copy Satan? Do we take holidays from the German Pagans are make them our own? NO. The Imperium must be kept clean of heathen creations at all costs, regardless of how effective they are at killing God's true faithful.

Senator Diaver Kastelos (Blue Demes):

"Do you see what I'm talking about?"

"Narrowness. Foolishness. Fanatics. I'm surprised that even after the reforms of Emperor Markos III we can still find this kind of people ruling and dictating our plans. Kristos will lead us, they say. God will gran us victory, they assure."

"Do I have to remember you the Bible? We have something called free will, granted by God itself. Its our decision to survive, Senator Colombo. I hope you remember the Battle of Adrianople, the legions were unable to defeat the enemy using the common strategies and equipment, and Konstantinoupolis was put in danger in a way that would only be surpassed by the mahometans. We cannot keep our traditions alive if they end up killing us."

Senator Junius Pylaeus (unaffiliated)
Senator Kastelos, I know that you have been called to the Senate just recently. But please choose your words more carefully in the future. Belittling the Imperial Navy after it had to suffer a fatal blow is not something that a senator should do. I am sure that the fleet of your family did everything it could, but making it sound like you outperformed the Imperial Navy of our beloved Imperium Romanum is a little insolent, don't you think? We can only be thankful that our most venerated guest has not arrived yet, for this would have been both: A grave insult to him in person as well as his position in general that he could not have led slip by without losing face.

"And while I think that you are right, we cannot let our fear to authorities control us. If we face the truth, its our duty as Senators, no, as Romans, to fight for the good of the Imperium, even if that means to challenge the Megas Droungarios, I'm ready to face the consequences."

Diaver looked up for Senator Alexandros Raoul.

"I find amusing that our fellow Raoul, if thats your family, wants to keep the leadership of the Navigators for another term. Do I have to remind you how your family totally wasted the majority of the blues and finally bend your will against the reds and whites?"

"Maybe, if someone else than the Raouls would have been the leaders of our demes, we wouldn't have been discussing about the horrible failure of the Imperial Navy."

"And, after "clarifying" what we must hope about Raoul's leadership, I present myself as candidate to lead the blues in this dire times."

{{Editted!}}

Last edited:
Reactions:
Senator Titos Livios Melissenos (The Blues)

*Titos nods slowly to Marcus.*

I see and I agree with you. With holding back you show wisdom, my friend.

Senator Anastasios Salamis (Blue demes):
Senator Este-Ravenna I Thank you for supporting reason- your'e a real Red.
*Speaking inside the Blue demes*
I would say no more about the Blue deme's leader election, as Senator Arrius' advice was wise.
However, Senator Kastelos, I would like to tell you this- please, refain from insulting former Senator Hadrianos, may he rest in peace. He was a great man, and a great leader of our demes- in that time, it was just not possible to get our demes to power and Hadrianos had to compromise for the good of the Imperium. However, you're a good and reasonable man and I will be glad to work with you- please, Senators Kastelos and Raoul, stop bickering and keep our demes united.

"Do you see what I'm talking about?"

"Narrowness. Foolishness. Fanatics. I'm surprised that even after the reforms of Emperor Markos III we can still find this kind of people ruling and dictating our plans. Kristos will lead us, they say. God will gran us victory, they assure."

"Do I have to remember you the Bible? We have something called free will, granted by God itself. Its our decision to survive, Senator Colombo. I hope you remember the Battle of Adrianople, the legions were unable to defeat the enemy using the common strategies and equipment, and Konstantinoupolis was put in danger in a way that would only be surpassed by the mahometans. We cannot keep our traditions alive if they end up killing us."

Diaver looked up for Senator Alexandros Raoul.

"And I find amusing that our fellow Raoul, if thats your family, wants to keep the leadership of the Navigators for another term. Do I have to remind you how your family totally wasted the majority of the blues and finally bend your will against the reds and whites?"

"Maybe, if someone else than the Raouls would have been the leaders of our demes, we wouldn't have been discussing about the horrible failure of the Imperial Navy."

"And, after "clarifying" what we must hope about Raoul's leadership, I present myself as candidate to lead the blues in this dire times."

Senator Alexandros Raoul (Blues)

I have to agree with the first part of your speech for we have to listen and approve good things even when they come from the mouth of a fool...

But I won't allow you to stain the name of my grandfather. Your father was not even part of the Blues, staying alone on his bench. Hadrianos was surely too lenient but he acted as much as he could. Moreover it is widely known that your family took part into illicit affairs such as cocoa trade while my family has always acted in the boundaries of the holy law of the Imperium. You may have found perverse customers to enrich you but one day you and your kind will be dealt with accordingly.
*spits on the floor*
{{ It had been too long since someone spat on the floor of the Magnaura :p }}

Reactions:
Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

*Marcus nods to Senator Giacomo d'Este-Ravenna.*
Ah, it warms my heart to see that I have allies among the Red Demes. May our futures' be bright, my friend.

*Upon hearing Senator Kastelos announce his wish to be leader of the Blue Demes, Marcus leans back in his seat and sighs, his suggestion that we hold off on arguing who would lead having been ignored by the soldier. He leans back towards Melissenos so that his ally can hear him.*

You see? This is what I want to avoid. The past Sessions engraved one lesson into my father's mind that he passed onto me: The Senators have no power alone. Bickering over who will lead us before we even reach a decision on how to vote on all the matters presented? Pointless. We must hear from the Guest of the Senate, see what the man has to say about our questions... Then we can discuss who can best represent us. Kastelos does have wisdom, and I agree with his ideas on using the Xenoi's tools, but the Raoul family has a history of being able to work with the Red Demes; he is often insulted for this, but I respect the fallen Senator for setting aside differences.

*Marcus glances at the spit now on the floor thanks to Senator Raoul. He rubs his eyes in exasperation, now understanding why his father was always stressed after a Session.*

Last edited:

I have to agree with the first part of your speech for we have to listen and approve good things even when they come from the mouth of a fool...

But I won't allow you to stain the name of my grandfather. Your father was not even part of the Blues, staying alone on his bench. Hadrianos was surely too lenient but he acted as much as he could. Moreover it is widely known that your family took part into illicit affairs such as cocoa trade while my family has always acted in the boundaries of the holy law of the Imperium. You may have found perverse customers to enrich you but one day you and your kind will be dealt with accordingly.
*spits on the floor*
{{ It had been too long since someone spat on the floor of the Magnaura :p }}

"Are you bringing rumors to Magnaura, besides of your spit?" A cynical smile formed in his mouth.

"I don't know why I did expect more from you, I thought I could find a worthy rival, one with his mind clean of the whispers of women. You are truly desperate if you bring to the senate what you heard in your kitchen."

Reactions:
Senator Antiocho Salamis (Blue demes):
*Antiochos approaches Senators Arrius and Melissenos*
Senator Arrius, I see that finaly there is wisdom in the Senate and someone is trying to actualy make a compromise between the demes and not just throw our votes with no regards to the fact that we will not have majority needed for Senatus Consultum. My father Anastasios tried once to make a compromise, and no one listened, and the Senate session was a failure- no one reached a majority.
I am glad that today there seems to be a support for a deal which would prevent another failure to counsel the Emperor. Senator Melissenos, I ask you to participate in this compromise too.
What I suggest is that everyone who supports the compromise swears that he or his successor will vote for a Naval reform now and for an Economic reform next time. We still need to hear our honorable guest, however, to decide exactly what will be in this compromise.
So, Marcus, will you agree to advocate for a deal together, along with honorable Melissenos if he decides to join? That's the only chance to save the Senate from beign a failure again.
We would also have to prevent Senators Raoul and Kastelos from killing each other... We need both of their votes.

Senator Junius, will the holy walls of our city withstand an attack by those cannons of the Xenoi?

Esteemed Antiochos, the walls of the Great City would be equipped with cannons in due time as well. We will use their greatest weapon, improve it, and turn it against them.
This debate sure takes an interesting course. My fellow blue senators, if you talk about a naval reform, would you consider strengthening the trade instead of a focus on maritime ideals?

Improved trading would be to the benefit of the fleet while also filling our coffers to relieve our treasury to some extent. I could probably consent to such a compromise.
Right now however, if the red and white demes will be able to gather more voices behind them, I will still choose to tip the balance in their favor if you blues do not choose to compromise with the unaffiliated in one way or another.

{{As the discussion currently stands, there are only two blocks that might reach the necessary Senatus Consultum regarding the new Imperial focus and ideas:

Either the block proposing economical ideas and military focus (to convince the reds, I guess) or
the other block proposing maritime (or trade maybe?) and military focus (for the reds as well).

If this Senate session is to be succesfull, we should focus on this most important issue right now. We can talk about simple majorities required for the resolutions later.}}

Senator Antiochos Salamis (blue demes):
Senator Junius, will you not agree to the compromise proposed before and vote for a Naval reform now with the promise of our vote for an Economical reform next time?
If you would not and if I see that no one of the reds, whites or anti-blue unaffiliated agrees to it, I may consider supporting trade reforms for the sake of the Senate's successs- however, I believe that it would not be enough, and our fleet will still be crashed by the Xenoi.

{{This session is being the best one in my opinion. There is a clear topic for discussion and, for one time, it seems we will have clear majorities on the questions, even if this majorities are not totally clear yet}}

Senator Aetius Scipion (the Reds):

**Talking to the RED DEMES only

My friends, it seems that we are divided on the subject of what is the best reform for the Empire. Some of us think we should reform the economy while others consider we should change our navy.

Last senate sessions showed all us what happens when the senate is divided so I propose you to act together based on this deal: We will ask Megas Droungarios about his plans for the Navy reconstruction. If his idea is to build a new fleet of galleys that will probably sink again and lead us to more economic problems, then we will vote for economy. But if we construct a new fleet based on Xenoi´s design, with bigger ships and cannons, then we will go for Naval reformation. {{Fleet of galleys --> Economic reform; fleet of big ships --> we vote for Maritime reform}}

In both cases, we will give our support to the Blues or Whites + Unaligned demes in exchange of more care for the Army {{Military focus}} and a compromise of support in the next reform, that should be on the Legions {{Military one, Aristocracy in my opinion}}

I also want to invite you to give your opinion on what should be our contribution to the Empire. I think that invest in horse breeds that have shown their effectiveness in the battlefield is the way to follow {{+5% efficiency of cavalry}}, but I am wishing to know your opinions. {{By now I am the only one who has talked about OUR demes topics. This must change, I think}}

Finally, I want to propose myself as leader of the Red demes, as it seems no one more is will to accept this responsibility by now.

Senator Titos Livios Melissenos

Dear Salamis, while I's sure my wife would be very glad, if our houses would work together more closely, I still want to ask you something beforehand. As my grandfather told my, a compromises of this kind was made many many years ago. A strengthening of the military against a later focus on exploration of which then only a comparatively small expedition was left. So how would we assure, that this compromise would be followed? Even more so due to the fact, that the fulfillment of this compromise would likely need to wait for several years or even decades and involve many new Senators due to the side effects of something called age of which – I'm disapointed to note – non of us is immune against.

simply greater than ours no matter how much money
Senator Antiochos Salamis (blue demes):
Senator Junius, will you not agree to the compromise proposed before and vote for a Naval reform now with the promise of our vote for an Economical reform next time?
If you would not and if I see that no one of the reds, whites or anti-blue unaffiliated agrees to it, I may consider supporting trade reforms for the sake of the Senate's successs- however, I believe that it would not be enough, and our fleet will still be crashed by the Xenoi.

Senator Giacomo Este-Ravenna of the Red Demes:

Giacomo murmurs softly to his fellow Red Demes.
"Perhaps, instead of an economic reform, the next reform should be to improve the Quality of our armies? To support economic reforms is to grant the Whites a victory to spite the Blues, and I do not recall such a deal ending well for our faction the last time around. There are likely enough Blue Demes to reach a majority later if we strike a deal now, and the Emperor himself has recommended naval reforms... I do not think it wise to oppose him."

of high importance. These.... defeats
{{This session is being the best one in my opinion. There is a clear topic for discussion and, for one time, it seems we will have clear majorities on the questions, even if this majorities are not totally clear yet}}
Senator Aetius Scipion (the Reds):
**Talking to the RED DEMES only

My friends, it seems that we are divided on the subject of what is the best reform for the Empire. Some of us think we should reform the economy while others consider we should change our navy.

Last senate sessions showed all us what happens when the senate is divided so I propose you to act together based on this deal: We will ask Megas Droungarios about his plans for the Navy reconstruction. If his idea is to build a new fleet of galleys that will probably sink again and lead us to more economic problems, then we will vote for economy. But if we construct a new fleet based on Xenoi´s design, with bigger ships and cannons, then we will go for Naval reformation. {{Fleet of galleys --> Economic reform; fleet of big ships --> we vote for Maritime reform}}

In both cases, we will give our support to the Blues or Whites + Unaligned demes in exchange of more care for the Army {{Military focus}} and a compromise of support in the next reform, that should be on the Legions {{Military one, Aristocracy in my opinion}}

I also want to invite you to give your opinion on what should be our contribution to the Empire. I think that invest in horse breeds that have shown their effectiveness in the battlefield is the way to follow {{+5% efficiency of cavalry}}, but I am wishing to know your opinions. {{By now I am the only one who has talked about OUR demes topics. This must change, I think}}

Finally, I want to propose myself as leader of the Red demes, as it seems no one more is will to accept this responsibility by now.

This is a sensible policy. I would support a strengthening of the Aristocracy or else an improvement of Quality as the next policy. As to the investment of horses... I do not recall our cavalry being decisive in any campaign, perhaps improving logistics would be more useful should we launch further African campaigns, but I believe streamlining recruitment to limit the strain of war would be more useful." {{I support war exhaustion reduction, or -land attrition.}}

Last edited:

"Are you bringing rumors to Magnaura, besides of your spit?" A cynical smile formed in his mouth.

"I don't know why I did expect more from you, I thought I could find a worthy rival, one with his mind clean of the whispers of women. You are truly desperate if you bring to the senate what you heard in your kitchen."

"I merely place myself on your level, Kastelos. There is no need to bring rumors in a discussion amongst aristoi. But with a mere commoner, disregarding the Raoul family, women talk as you say are as good as any argument you may say.

I find surprising that you act in such a pompous way here. Nowhere before have I heard of "this decisive role" you played in the battles in the West, and I live in Konstantinopolis where news of successes and failures travel faster than any other news. I think you paint yourself in a good light and that reality is more gruesome and loathable. Most of the time, those who declare to be heroes are merely cowards who happened to be at the right place at the right moment and I'm inclined to think that you are one of those.

Know however, and it is the last time I say it, that attacking my grandfather is attacking me and that I will not let you carry my name into the mud without responding adequatly.

*To the Blues*
My apologies but I think you can understand the reasons that push me to act in such manners for one of our kind.

I see here some Blues wondering if strenghtening Trade would not be better than strenghtening the Imperial Navy. Sure it could give us more hyperpyrri that are deeply needed but it will not change the problem of inflation that is plaguing us. Nor will reform the navy sure but we must hold on to the dream of a wooden wall protecting us from the Far West and saving millions of innocent lives ! Remember that it is the will of our Emperor -St Markos bless him.

{{ Don't want to be gamey, but in the end maritime ideas will be better both for the economy and the long-term stratey than trade. Remember that thalassocracy gives +1 mercahnt along with juicy bonuses }}
*To all the assembly*
And to fulfill this dream, the same that St Markos had once, we must be ready to work with the Reds like my honorable grandfather and yours did. Whites like Colombo are alien to the values we defend, being narrowminded and ineffective. "

{{ Czoklet bring the Droungarios, the suspense is killing me :p }}

Senator Antiochos Salamis (Blue demes):
*To Senator Melissenos, Senator Arrius sitting nearby Melissenos and hearing too*
From my memory of my father's stories, no compromise was ever made with the Blue demes- there were attempts for a compromise, mainly lead by my father, however in the end the only thing which happened was Senator Colombo deciding to lead for a quantity reform, recieving the support of the blues with no promise made.
Now, however, they will be the ones who will have to perform their end of the deal first and vote for a Naval reform, and we will have to assure that our successors, or us, will do our end of the deal.
But let us wait first for our esteemed guest- when everything is clear, that is when I believe we should decide.

{{By the way, a suggestion- making compromises and deals official in the AAR. In the amendment suggesting and voting we will have to mention that the voting/amending is part of a deal and if the deal includes something for the future, we will be reminded of it before the next Senate session in which it will be relevant (for example, we will be reminded about an idea deal in the next session which will discuss idead}}

{{ Czoklet bring the Droungarios, the suspense is killing me :p }}

{{Just wait, he will bring him in, let him talk, and prove half of our discussions moot! :p }}

{{By the way, a suggestion- making compromises and deals official in the AAR. In the amendment suggesting and voting we will have to mention that the voting/amending is part of a deal and if the deal includes something for the future, we will be reminded of it before the next Senate session in which it will be relevant (for example, we will be reminded about an idea deal in the next session which will discuss idead}}

{{ I think it would be great. No more : "a promise, what are you talking about :p " }}

Reactions:

Alright then - if the choice is to either have maritime now and economy later OR maritime now and increased focus for the military later, I give you my consent for furthering maritime ideals now and economy to fight the inflation later. I also trust that you are going to keep your word by the honour of your family.

Let me just say this as a last warning - should our economy collapse before we can handle these issues it is the blood of the Roman citizens that stains your hands, blue senators. And no wooden wall is going to save us from that horror.

{{ I can't go down without a fight now, can I? :p

anti-blue unaffiliated

Whites + Unaligned demes

I like these categorizations of a supposedly non-aligned group of senators^^ }}

Last edited:
Senator Marcus Arrius (the Blues):

*Marcus addresses Salamis and Melissenos.*
I will gladly advocate for a deal with the Red Demes. Naval reforms with the promise of supporting economic reforms next Session, barring something unforeseen occurring. I do not mean to say I plan on forgetting my promise, but I won't let the Imperium fall.

*Speaking loud enough for everyone to hear him, Marcus addresses the Senators.*
Esteemed Red Demes. Fellow Blue Demes. We have heard the proposed compromise. Who will pledge to vote for Naval reforms {{Maritime Ideas}} and a military focus {{for the National Focus}} with the promise that we will work together to improve the Imperium's economy the next Senate Session? Who will stand together for the benefit of our beloved home?

{{We must remember something that Czoklet has told us: We are politicians. Promises and compromises are important to get things done, but we can all have secret agendas. Reminding us of promises made in the last Session could be nice, but making them binding is another matter entirely. Men are men. Words are words, and words are wind.}}

Last edited:
Reactions: