• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While there is truth in those words senator di Capponi, you shall restrain from going too far. As said Melissenos, this assembly is wiser than you. When you will have our years of service in the duty of the Imperium, maybe we shall listen to your words

And senator Ouranos, I don't think your family understands sacrifice when your brother steals money that could have helped to better prepare to help the king of Aquitaine.

[size=+1]Senator Alexios Chrysos:[/size]

*Alexios, now 73 years of age, slowly stands. He speaks quietly, but with a thick southern Italian accent*

Fellow senators you may not recognise me. For despite my age I am new to the senate. I should like to first congratulate Senator Theophilus Rhadenos. A man that shows all of the virtues of a citizen of the Imperium.

Now onto the matter of Aquitaine and Poland. I believe that Poland should most certainly have our support as they stand as valuable allies in the north. So I support giving the Kingdom of Poland subsides amounting to 1,000,000 hyperpyrra. This money shall help Poland to fight against their enemies and in maintaining a rich Kingdom to the north we maintain all of the trade coming from there. However for Aquitaine it is my opinion that we must abandon it. For even if we sent an army by the time that it had gotten there the whole place would be overrun with Xenoi scum. While the trade coming from that Kingdom is no doubt useful we simply cannot risk losing men and money in an attempt to save a place that by the time we speak has probably fallen. We cannot fight two wars on different sides of the world and hope to win either of them. So it is with great displeasure that I must advice against sending them either monetary aid in the form of subsides or military aid in the form of an alliance.

I agree with His Majesty's proposals on administrative reform as with the removal of corruption more money shall flow through the Imperium and it shall do so faster. No longer will the country have to make do with the small amounts that come from vast regions. With these reforms and purges the administration shall be smoother and more efficient, which can only bring more wealth into this land.

The idea of an expedition into the Eastern Ocean does sound profitable if there is anything to find there. I am optimistic of finding something if we sail east. So I think that we should give financial and material support to an expedition in order to gain more information about the lands and waters to the east.

And to Senator Ferruccio di Capponi I warn you to avoid insulting us and this institution again. For we have our ways of dealing with people like you. And of course we know that there is a world outside of this city. Take for example myself. I live and work in my Neapolis in south Italy, which is a far more loyal place than your northern parts.

*He sits back down again, slightly out of breath*

((I need water for the burn Attalus just gave me, alot of it))

((I need water for the burn Attalus just gave me, alot of it))

{{ I hope you would do the same if I had done it :p
There is no such thing as kindness, trust, honour in the Senate and especially no mercy ! }}

{{ I hope you would do the same if I had done it :p
There is no such thing as kindness, trust, honour in the Senate and especially no mercy ! }}

{{Ah come on. We are all friends here. Friends with daggers, poisons, manure-pits, legions of lone bowmen and sharp tongues, but friends nonetheless.}}

And to Senator Ferruccio di Capponi I warn you to avoid insulting us and this institution again. For we have our ways of dealing with people like you. And of course we know that there is a world outside of this city. Take for example myself. I live and work in my Neapolis in south Italy, which is a far more loyal place than your northern parts.

*He sits back down again, slightly out of breath*[/I]

[size=+1]Senator Ferruccio di Capponi:[/size]

Sincerest apologies Honorable Alexios Chrysos. As you said, Northern Italy is both dangerous and harsh, and one becomes too accustomed to dealing with men, heroes, and patriots. Not Senators. I assure you I intend to uphold all the honor of the Senate to the extent of which I perceive it. What more, I have been in your Città Metropolitana di Napoli, and it is a beautiful city. I did not know of many other Latins in the Senate, and I urge all of us, whether from the North or South to represent Italia with pride.

{{Ferruccio turns to the rest of the Senate}}

What more I speak to the rest of you. I condemn you abandonment of Aquitaine. We cannot allow Pisa to gain even an inch of land, I personally know the power and insight that is wielded by a Real Senate. I must plead for all those who support our faithful brothers to try and persuade the Senate to help Aquitaine, for if we don't, the blood of thousands will be on your hands, perhaps more than there is already.

Senator Osgar Godric

Osgar Godric has changed since the last time he arrived (unwanted) at the senate. Gone is the proud warrior, In his place is a blind, decrepid old man at 70 years of age. Years on the borders & the harsh landscape of Ethiopia has been harsh on him, Quite evident when he struggles to rise, Leaning heavily on a staff. After he manages to get to his two feet he clears his throaght, coughing heavily, A sign that his life is near the end of its course.

Friends, Countrymen, It is good to see you all again, Even if it may be the last.To those who are new, Welcome, If you start falling into the petty bickering I swear il come back from the grave and haunt you till the end of your days. Now onto the subjects at hand. Admittdley, The Aethiopian Themata plays little role in the war against the xenoi, But from what i have heard, This is my opinion. While its going to be hell on our men and our treasury, We need to continue these wars against the Mongol and Xenoi, If not for land then for morale. When i go through the streets of constantinople i here whispers of the Emperor being like nero of old, Playing a lute while rome burns around them. Do I blame them? No, For they are scared, and the emperor is someone they can direct their fear. To win against the Mongols and Xenoi would restore faith in Christ and the Emperor. As one of the men in this senate who has "easy" access to the Indian ocean, I whole heartedly agree that we need to Explore the eastern oceans, To bring the word of god back to the heathens, and save our nestorian brothers who are locked in slavery.

Onto Aquitaine & Poland, Are they not brothers? Fellow Christians? To withhold assistance would be like casting a brother from the church, We would be acting like that accursed pope which broke apart our church! SO I SAY TO ALL THAT PURPOSE THAT WE GIVE UP ON AQUITAINE! TO GIVE UP ON THEM IS *wheeze* *Cough* UNACCEPTABLE. WE ARE CHRISTIAN'S, WE ARE ALL THAT STANDS BETWEEN THE LIGHT OF CIVILIZATION AND THE BARBARIANS! WE SHOULD PROTECT OUR BROTHERS TO THE DEATH! MY BROTHERS IN THE RED DEMES HAVE TOLD NOW AND AGAIN OF THE BLUES LUST FOR MONEY AND THER HERETICAL WAYS!

I disregarded their words so that we could act as one for the Imperium, But i was wrong to think that the merchent cares for the unity of Christendom. They who would sooner see a christian nation fall than spare charity! And to those that would use this sacred place to bolster your own power? HAVE YOU NO *hack* SHAME? YOU WOULD USE THIS PLACE SO THAT YOU COULD TURN THIS IMPERIUM INTO SOME FEUDAL PLAYGROUND? I SAY YOU SHOULD JOIN THE REST OF THOSE TRAITORS THAT BROUGHT ABOUT THE CIVIL WARS. The countless civil wars that have occured because of the feudal despot system have nearly killed us...I say forgoe increasing the rights of the aristocrats, Ignore the demands for exploration, Though the uncharted oceans call to me like a siren.

*Osgar limps into the center of the hall, Stumbling before quickly righting himself.*

I say we increase the rights of our citizens! To encourage learning and Faith in our people. For wasnt the Great Libreriy a greek creation? I may not be greek myself, But you people have had a great histroy of learning. To disregard this past, Is just plain mad.

I would also like to add that I ask to join the traders in the expidition to the Indian Ocean if we agree to fund it. As the furthest south out of any of you, I have a understanding of the lands in the great expanse that you cannot gain by looking at a map. I have talked to a few of these "Indians", Who come here to ethiopia for Muslim slaves. To not fund this is madening, We need to learn what lies outside our gates.

*Osgar returns to his seat, Visably worse for weer*

Last edited:
Well old age does not give wisdom to all it seems. Senator Godric, let me remind you that Blues are not filthy merchants prone to leave their friends behind as you like to think. I wonder how you can still manage to come here is this august assembly. If I were you I would have give up my charge and try to avoid shame on my family like you are doing right now. But well, a blind eagle can't do much ...

{{ It will likely be the last session for my proud Hadrianos so I'm not here to make friends anymore :p }}

Senator Ferruccio di Capponi I believe that I speak for all of the senate here when I say that we want to help Aquitaine. Unfortunatly it is simply not possible. The amount of men and money required would be very large, too large to make it worthwhile. That is the problem you see. We cannot help Aquitaine unless we were not at war with the Horde. If we were to send men to Aquitaine we might have to take men away from fighting the Horde. And I can assure you that the lands to the east are far more profitable than those to the west. If you know how to beat the armies of the Xenoi and Pisans please tell.

I wonder how you can still manage to come here is this august assembly.

Im not dead yet, A minor Illness wont stop me. This assembly had little to do for why I came here, Though it was part of it. To see the new constantinople was what I wanted to see, given from what i heard in ethiopia. It has been well worth the trip.

{{Roman Senate, geriatric edition.}}

[SIZE=+1]Senator Lazaros Melissenos[/SIZE]

*Using his cane as support, Lazaros stands up and raises his voice.*

I would like to address those who advocate joining Aquitaine in their war against the Xenoi and who loudly accuse those who advocate to sacrifice our brothers in faith of treachery. Do you really think, that we would do so lightly? That we would do it on a whim? Or even out of greed?

*He nearly shouts the last question and needs to take a deep breath afterward.*

I assure you, that this is not the case. But we need to keep a larger picture in mind and that is the future of the Empire. Aquitaine. A realm that – I nearly would say miraculously – have survived centuries bordering the Xenoi empire and kept silent, while we were fighting. Don't get me wrong, I do not accuse them of fear or disloyalty to the true faith. They have chosen the strategy that gave them the best chance of survival and that has paid of until now. The tried to bid their time – while the world around them burned – till the moment to strike came, but alas they missed their chance.

What I advise is to use the same strategy. Obviously with the difference that we need to learn from them and find the ideal time to strike. But I don't think, that this time is know. I think, we need time to prepare, close out our war with the Horde, finish the current Grand Reform and, yes, also strengthen the economy due to trade with new markets abroad.

And then, when we are ready, when victory is assured, strike in hornour of the sacrifice, that Aquitaine made.

Senator Osgar Godric while you make many valid points you must realise that myself and members of the Blue Demes (and many others that I am yet to hear from) do not have a lust for money. While we certainly like having vast amounts of it we do use it to better the life of our fellow Christian. And we are not heretical. All of us attend Church, many of us are devout Christians. So our idea of leaving Aquitaine is simply what we believe will be best for every citizen of the Imperium.

Senator Gaius Arrius

*Gaius stands, signalling his desire to speak.*
My fellow Senators. It has been a long time since we were gathered here to advise our glorious Emperor. Much has happened since then. Before I say anything else, I must make my thoughts clear. Though it grieves me to say, we cannot help the Kingdom of Aquitaine. The Horde has never been in a more vulnerable state. To divert our forces to help Aquitaine, who are already near defeat... It would all be for not.

Re: Ferruccio di Capponi:

Senator Domenico Colombo:

{{Domenico chuckles to himself}}

The Senate is not as hostile a place to Latins as you may think, Ferruccio. Italia is indeed a wonderful place, but it is a dangerous one. My foolish Great-Uncle lost half of our trading company, and the city of Genoa, our ancestral home, because of his idiocy and the greed of his merchant 'allies'. I have done well in Alexandria, and it is now more safe to be there than in Italy.

I urge you to not alienate every last member of the Senate just yet, Ferruccio. There are those who agree with you. On the Timurids, I agree most of all. They have destroyed much that is precious to me and my family, through raiding and other means.

{{Domenico turns to face the Red Demes}}

Once the honorable guest answers the questions pertaining to Expansion and exploration of the Eastern Ocean I will bring those decisions up to you.

But on the other issues, we can discuss.

Assuming there is no public outcry from my faction, I will support these bills and changes:

Subsidies: All allocated subsidies to Poland

Aquitaine is done as a fighting force, their lands being occupied, their armies shattered. Poland has not been moved on yet, and can prepare for the incoming attack.Therefore, I suggest that all subsidies we are permitted to give be given to Poland.

Sanation of the Administration of the Imperial Palace: We should focus on Military
And
Alliance with Aquitaine: Yes

The state of the Imperial Army is good. We have a large pool of men ready to fight, a large army, and low war exhaustion. However, the reports just received suggest that the Aztecs have made improvements in their military technology that we have not. {{They have mil tech 7, we don't}}

My sources tell me that the Aztecs have been experimenting with mobile cannons. In the past, cannons have generally speaking only been used for sieges, but it looks like they've managed to make ones small enough to feasibly use in battle. I do not know to what degree they have proliferated through their armed forces though. But regardless of that, we should have a Military Focus so that we can, at the same time, go through with my military reforms as well as make our own mobile cannons.

But, the Empire's armies are strong, strong enough to battle the Xenoi in Europe. Our navy has grown tremendously, and I can confident we can hunt down and destroy any navies that attempt to breach the Pillars of Hercules. We have The Horde on the run; we can reclaim what we lost to them and perhaps give some land to our subjects in Mouldau. I think taking land from the Horde that we did not previously own for ourselves is a mistake. The lands are poor, not Greek or Latin, and are a bunch of dirty heathens.

But.

In Italy, the Pisans were given rightful Imperial land in the last war against the Imperium. The people there cry out for liberation, as do the people of Aquitaine. I say: take what we can from The Horde, and turn our forces west! We can reclaim rich lands in Italy while at the same time saving the faithful.

On an overseas exploration mission, I think it is a good idea. Ignorance is weakness, you know.

{{Domenico sits back down}}

Having heard the comments of Senator Domenico Colombo I have changed my opinions on the Polish subsides. I agree with him that all of the subsides that might have gone to Aquitaine should go to Poland in order to create a stronger ally in the north.

Frederik V Hvide

I am in agreement with a Red? And Colombo to make it even worse! What has the world come to?

{{Double brackets was OOC right, if not this is very definitely OOC. I have so much school work to do right now, so i wont be around for the first few days to do anything more than be snide at the reds sorry.}}

Having heard the comments of Senator Domenico Colombo I have changed my opinions on the Polish subsides. I agree with him that all of the subsides that might have gone to Aquitaine should go to Poland in order to create a stronger ally in the north.
Frederik V Hvide

I am in agreement with a Red? And Colombo to make it even worse! What has the world come to?

{{Double brackets was OOC right, if not this is very definitely OOC. I have so much school work to do right now, so i wont be around for the first few days to do anything more than be snide at the reds sorry.}}

[size=+1]Senator Ferruccio di Capponi:[/size]

But of course we come in agreement with good Colombo's ideas! We Italians speak of Wisdom which crosses all boundaries. It was we who founded Rome! It does my heart good to see those listening to the insight of true Romans, rather than the babbling of Greek pretenders. I eagerly wish to work with Domenico Colombo in the future, and I too support subsidies to Poland. Aquitaine may be freed one day though, for they are a hardy people. It will take more than the Aztecs to break them! Now we simply need to get the support of the other Greeks, a feat which seems impossible.

Senator Domenico Colombo:

A feat which is made more impossible by your words. The ancient greeks, as you must know, were the forefathers of Rome. Our nationalities are tied together throughout history. It is not becoming of us to bicker about who is better, what language, etc..

{{That's for Vickky 2}}

But I am glad for your support. Once we know more about Expansion from our guest, we can potentially strike a deal with the Blues for their support. Early days though...

{{Domenico gives the evil eye to the guest, who has not answered any questions and appears to be napping in his seat.}}