• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good luck... it looks like the Hohenstaufens are up against a fierce opponent.

Yakman: Yes, I don't lack ambition... :D

cuchulain: I have the default scenario claims on Saxony and Bavaria, since these duchies belonged to Henry the Lion before 1180. Unfortunately, both are loyal to the emperor... But I know what you mean; taking county by county is not the best way how to win this game...

A very interesting start. I'll be following this one

Not worried about your brother claiming the ducal title for himself after giving him all of that land?

angryclown said:
A very interesting start. I'll be following this one

Not worried about your brother claiming the ducal title for himself after giving him all of that land?

Now, what kind of venage story would have the brothers bickering while there's a king to be overthrown.

Great start, siekel

angryclown, sleepyirv: Thank you guys for support! It's good to have you along.
Well, I am a little bit afraid that Lothar could break away from me. But I hold the Duke of Prussia title, so he would probably come back after some time and beg me to be my vassal... :D

Chapter III (1211 - 1220): War in the North

Chapter III (1211 - 1220): War in the North

T043781A.jpg

The happy news waited for Heinrich upon his return from Hamburg in winter 1211. During the campaign in Hamburg and Lübeck his fifth daughter Mechtild was born. On the other hand, the news which Heinrich took with mixed feelings was the death of his brother – Rudolf the bastard, who suffered from schizophrenia. Heinrich’s relationship with Rudolf had always been cold but Rudolf was his brother, even illegitimate. In February 1212 Diocese Bishop brought a courtier suspected of heresy to justice but Heinrich decided not to press a secular sentence (Event: Heinrich receives Skeptical trait). Later that year several weddings took place in Braunschweig. Heinrich married his eldest daughter Emma with Count of Nürnberg from von Hohenzollern dynasty, and his second daughter Berta, a midas touched steward, with a courtier in his duchy. Although some of his advisors suggested him not to do so, Heinrich also gave permission for marriage of his sister Adelheid with Rupprecht, Duke of Saxony, from hated Askanien family. Heinrich knew that it was not the right time to fight for his rightful Saxon possessions.

In January 1213 Heinrich decided to grant the title Count of Lübeck to his brother Otto. Heinrich kept only Otto’s eldest son Folkhard, a brilliant strategist, and appointed him as the new Marshal at the court. Heinrich also moved his seat to Hamburg which was the richest province in his demesne at that time. He also didn’t forget to support the development of his remaining provinces. Therefore he built Glass-works in Osnabrück and Templar House in Braunschweig in 1213. Meanwhile, a new crusade was called by the Pope, this time with the goal to liberate Alexandria. But Heinrich didn’t plan to join such dangerous adventure far away in Africa. He rather stayed at home and prepared plans for further consolidation of his power in Germany. Moreover, in March 1214 his third son Heinrich was born. At that time his two elder sons – Otto and Nikolaus had already come of age, and Heinrich decided that it was the right time to find suitable wives for them. In January 1215 two spectacular weddings were held in Hamburg; Otto got married with Luitgard von Babenberg and Nikolaus with Barbara von Tirol.

Frisia.jpg

War with the Archbishopric of Friesland

Heinrich’s recent conquests brought him a huge amount of prestige. Thus he was ready to attack a bigger target than a small county. For a longer time, Heinrich was thinking about how to add the Frisian region to his duchy. The Archbishopric of Friesland bordered Heinrich’s demesne from the northwest, and it had broken away from German empire several years ago. Heinrich’s spies informed him that the forces of Friesland were smaller than his own, so he was quite sure that he could succeed. In August 1216 Heinrich laid claim to the titles of Archbishop of Friesland, and also called all his forces to Osnabrück at Friesland’s border. In November 1216 Heinrich declared war on Friesland and his troops began a march to Frisia. In January 1217 Heinrich’s army met with the enemy in Ostfriesland, and hammered the hugely outnumbered Frisian forces. In March 1217 Heinrich laid a siege in province of Frisia, and shortly thereafter the Archbishop was forced to sign a humiliating peace. In an effort to improve his tarnished reputation, Heinrich then granted Frisia to his youngest brother – Wilhelm.

When Heinrich, now Duke of Prussia and Friesland, returned home, he again had to face problems. His daughter Berta, steward in the duchy, died in labour; his son Heinrich got ill; and his vassals demanded a change of his succession law to Elective. Heinrich refused any attempts to change the law, and decided to take care of his youngest son’s upbringing. In November 1218 Heinrich’s relatives from Mecklemburg, Niklotid family, appeared at his court, and brought the news that Mecklemburg was conquered by forces of King of Ayyubid, who was in war with Denmark. They asked Heinrich to help them get Mecklemburg back, and Heinrich agreed. At that time German emperor finally signed a peace with the Polish king, reducing Poland to a few provinces, so Heinrich knew that he could expect help from his liege in case of troubles. In June 1219 Heinrich declared war on the Muslims, and in August 1219 conquered the province of Mecklemburg. Since Heinrich had already held Lübeck, he was allowed to create his third ducal title – Duke of Mecklemburg. That made Heinrich the strongest prince in northern Germany…

Germany%201220.jpg

Germany in 1220 - Heinrich's domain is highlighted with red

Looking good

So what's next? Surely you have to join your homelands with your possessions in Prussia, right?

Very good!
I see that Bavaria is no longer German land. Perhaps it's time to take back what is yours?
Edit:
Well, it seems that I was too hasty. Bavaria is still green. It's Baden and Württemberg that are white. Sorry.

You've built a strong Duchy while the HRE seems to be having some trouble hanging onto his vassals. Any chance you are planning on breaking away yourself now?

Very good read so far. I'll be watching the rest.

Good going.

Nice. you grow more and more powerful in Germany while the Emperor tries to expand elsewhere. This works great for you.

Will definitely be watching.

Hey siekel, are you still around? It would be a shame to see this AAR disappear.

I hope he's not gone, this one is interesting.

Wenis said:
I hope he's not gone, this one is interesting.

Dude, last update was year and half ago. So I can pretty certainly say that this AAR is dead.

And his last activity was "Last Activity: 20-03-2006 13:30", so don't get your hopes up.