• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bannerman21

First Lieutenant
24 Badges
Mar 19, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Welcome to my first AAR- The Emerald Isles! Very original name, I know.

What I'm doing is pretty self-explanatory: I'm going for the Emerald Isles achievement, and possibly beyond that. I'm starting as the Earl of Dublin, so I'm eligible for the Rags to Riches achievement as well if I can form Britannia.

I would like to shout out @JabberJock14 as well, because their ongoing AAR in CK2 about House d'Anjou was my inspiration for making AARs. Best CK2 AAR on the site in my opinion. Thus, this will be in a similar style to that one. I would post a link, but it wouldn't let me post when I did. Just go to the CK2 AAR forum, it'll probably be on the first or second page.

Quick disclaimer: my opinions do not reflect that of my characters, nor should they. Please do not use this as inspiration for your opinions. This will have to confront some of the nastier bits of Catholicism/Insularism and medieval life in general in the game, and while I will avoid being gratuitous about it, there is only so much I can do before it starts to harm the quality of the story.

With that in mind, enjoy! Whenever I make the first update, that is, which should be soon.

So, will this be a narrative AAR?

Subbed as long as it isn't a Let's Play.

So, will this be a narrative AAR?

Subbed as long as it isn't a Let's Play.
A fellow hater of Let's Play AARs.

And to @Bannerman21, welcome to the forums and the IAAR section in particular. Best of luck writing this!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 1- 15 September 1066
Chapter 1- 15 Sep, 1066

Capture.PNG

The wagons carrying the Earl of Dublin, Murchad mac Diarmait, and his family pulled up to the estate of his father, Earl Diarmait mac Donnchad, Earl of Leinster.

Murchad was a decently fit man, so he was able to get off the wagon without any problems. His wife Tailltu followed him, latching onto his hand to manage the jump. She probably could have done it without him, but Murchad considered it his responsibility to help her.

Capture 1.PNG

The pair’s three sons had already dismounted from their cart, and were now approaching the keep.

Murchad chuckled and remarked, “Well, we’d best be catching up to them, shouldn’t we?”

Tailltu snarkily responded, “Yes, I suppose we should. Do you think you can catch up to them?”

Murchad knew that was an insult to his relative lack of physical prowess, but he took it in stride anyway. “Domnall, definitely. Less sure about the other two.”

Murchad, it turned out, was right in that regard. His eldest son Domnall was panting by the time his father reached him, while the two younger brothers, Enna and Donnchad, had already reached the entrance of the keep.

Enna taunted, “I bet you can’t reach me before I catch Grandfather!” He then dashed inside. Donnchad did not do that, instead waiting for his parents and his brother to catch up with him.

Capture 3.PNG

“Good.” Murchad commented. He ruffled Donnchad’s hair, eliciting a blush in the eleven-year-old boy. “I can tell what kind of brother you’re going to be to Domnall, once I’ve passed on.”

“Thank you, Father.” Donnchad bowed and turned towards the keep himself.

Capture 4.PNG

Domnall smirked and crossed his arms. He muttered, “You had better be a loyal one, or else.”

Capture 2.PNG

The members of House Cheinnselag were about to enter Leinster Keep when Murchad ran into his brother, Enna mac Diarmait. Not Enna mac Murchad, but Enna mac Diarmait.

Although, the elder Enna was carrying the younger Enna by the scruff, even as the 14-year-old boy struggled. So in a sense, it was both of them.

Enna the elder told Murchad with a completely straight face, “I think you might have a runaway child on your hands.”

Capture 5.PNG

“A disobedient one, yes, but not a runaway, as far as I know. Come here, Enna.”

Enna, once let out of his uncle’s tight grip, bowed at his father’s feet. “I’m sorry. I should have obeyed your order.”

Murchad chuckled and ruffled his son’s hair. “You don’t need to worry about a thing. Let’s just get inside, shall we? I’m guessing Father isn’t going to come out himself.”

It was at that point that Tailltu finally caught up, having walked instead of ran. Murchad shot an apologetic glance back to her. “Sorry, my dear. We’ve got to move again.”

“Fine. Surely you don’t think me that unfit?” She received no response.

Once the guests actually got inside the keep, they found Diarmait, Earl of Leinster, lounging in an armchair. Beside him sat his grandson, Diarmait mac Enna. The repeating of names did get quite confusing after a while, even for family.

“H-Hey.” Diarmait the younger got up from his seat and rushed to hug Enna the younger, who he had apparently grown quite close to. Donnchad reluctantly allowed himself to be pulled into the hug. “I haven’t seen you in, what, a year?”

Enna replied, “Close to it.” The three younger children rushed off to play, while Domnall stayed with his parents as they sat down across from the family patriarch.

Diarmait the elder, who was the only Diarmait present at the time, greeted his son, grandson, and daughter-in-law, “Nice to see you three. Probably the last time I’ll do it.” He sighed, painfully aware of his own mortality.

Capture 6.PNG

Murchad was all too aware of his father’s mortality as well. After all, the man was seventy-one years old, enough so that he probably had great grandchildren by now, if Domnall’s numerous amorous escapades were anything to go by. And that was why he had visited him; to plan out what would happen after his death.

“Well, to business.” Diarmait grabbed a mug of mead from his nightstand and took a large sip. “You are the heir to Leinster, so it makes sense you should get it once I die.”

“Wait,” Enna the elder protested, “How come he gets the county? He already has Dubhlinn. I should receive Leinster.”

Diarmait fixed his youngest son with a stern stare. “I do not mean to have my realm split upon my death. You will swear loyalty to Murchad upon his succession as King of Leinster. If he wishes to give you direct administration of the county, he can do that. But it is his decision to make, not yours.” He reclined in his plush chair and shot Enna a fearsome glare. Even in his old age, he was not a man to be trifled with.

Murchad teased his brother, “I thought you were a more humble man than this. To try and nakedly usurp your brother’s title… daring.”

Enna growled lowly. “I ask only for what is rightfully mine, nothing more. I am a humble man, but that does not mean I have no spine.”

Tailltu contributed to the discussion by threatening Enna, “I would suggest not standing in the way of my husband. For both your good and the good of your child, sired from lust.”

Murchad sighed. As much as he appreciated his wife’s help, he did not appreciate her escalating the situation. He put a hand on her shoulder, as if to restrain her. He doubted she appreciated that, but it was necessary in his mind.

Both sides were looking quite indignant now. Diarmait apparently felt the need to intercede. “Calm down, please. If Enna wants to kill me and seize my title, I suppose I couldn’t resist him. If he could not do so, that would be appreciated. But my word is law; I won’t have you disputing it.”

Tailltu shot Enna a smug smile, which likely did not help his temper. Murchad whispered to her, “I wouldn’t be shaming bastards if I were you. It’s a tradition for us men on the island. You ever notice how many of us have 'em?”

Her reply came, “That does not make me tolerate them any more.” Murchad looked to his father, and both rolled their eyes simultaneously.

Enna took several deep breaths before calming down. His voice was perfectly civil, although Murchad doubted he was internally at peace. “Fine. I shall dedicate my services to you, Brother, upon our father’s death.”

“Good.” A wily smile lit up Diarmait’s face. “Also, we should solidify an alliance; we have somehow not done that yet.”

Domnall hmphed. “Does it matter? You’ll be dead before anyone declares war on us, anyway.” Quite rude, but also true.

Murchad happened to agree with his son, but for completely different reasons. “We’ll be fine. Nobody wants to declare war on us, anyway. What do we have for them?”

“Land.” Diarmait lost his smile. “We are weak and divided in the face of my brother in-law, Murchad of Munster. He could defeat both of us, one at a time, and none of our peers would raise the slightest objection. We need to ally for our own protection.”

Murchad shrugged. “I am fine with that as well. With any luck, I shall have your troops before that becomes an issue. I know we have no marriage options to seal this alliance, but I don’t believe we’ll need one.”
“No, indeed.” Diarmait snapped his fingers, and a servant carrying a scroll hurried to his side. “Draw up the contract, friend.”

The servant got to work doing that, which was a quite boring process. Soon after, Domnall yawned and stretched his arms. He got up from his chair and remarked, “I am getting bored. I think I am going to town. Perhaps I can find some supple women to entertain me.” His mother rolled her eyes.

Murchad ascended from his chair and clapped his son on the back. “I think I’ll join you on that one.” Tailltu glowered in understandable distaste.

Diarmait stood up as well. “As will I. Father, son and grandfather, all seducing together. Sounds like a great time. Do you think we should grab your brother?” He pointed at Domnall. “I’m sure he’d like to become a man today!”

Tailltu immediately interrupted, “No. I won’t have him fooling around. You can do whatever you wish, but I won’t let Enna join you.”

Murchad had no issue with this. “Do as you will. They’re your children as much as mine.” Then, the three lustful men left to go on their carousing adventure.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The opening moves are made.

Chapter 2- October 1066
“Greetings, men.” Murchad and Domnall walked into the most recent meeting of Dublin’s council, pretending neither was late. Although in truth, the meeting began whenever Murchad showed up, so he was never late.

“Bah.” Mayor Brenainn of Cill Mhantain had a dissatisfied look upon his face. “You were supposed to be here an hour ago; we don’t have all day, you know.”

Capture 15.PNG

Murchad decided to take the insult in stride; it paid dividends for one to tolerate their vassals. He wasn’t one for war, and it showed in his treatment of vassals. He jokingly chided Brenainn, “I would like to dispute that. I didn’t come an hour late, you four came in an hour early. And I’m sure you had some excellent discussion while you were at it.”

Those four would be Murchad’s Marshal Brenainn, his Chancellor, Mayor Cathbad of Droichead Atha, his Suffragan Bishop Abban, and his Spymaster Tryggve. Notably, the latter was the only Norwegian on the council; a few tensions resulted from that.

Domnall smirked and assumed his usual seat as the Steward of Dublin. He crossed his arms and readjusted his helmet, a placidly bored look on his face. He apologized for his father, “He spent a tad too long wrapped up mixing some sort of herbal potion nonsense.”

The bishop Abban shook his large black beard and gave Murchad an appreciative glance. “Congratulations. How are things going?”

Capture 11.PNG

Murchad replied genially, “Better than before. Tailltu’s help has catapulted my skills to a level none of you have seen before.”

Domnall replied, “I don’t think that to be a hard task.” His father had been prepared to let the slight slide before he spoke up again, but now Murchad had no intent on sparing him from his wrath.

It wasn’t anything to be ashamed of, mixing herbal remedies. Murchad intended to let his eldest son know that. If he was embarrassed along the way, so be it. A humbled Domnall would be an improvement.

A smile still on his face, Murchad told his council, “I wasn’t the one who made us as late as we were. I practically had to pull Domnall off his latest conquest. What was her name? Rannveig, was it?”

Domnall flushed a dark purple. He growled, “Yes, you got her name right. I didn’t think you paid her that much attention. I don’t even know why she stayed around. If it wasn’t for me, she’d probably have left as soon as she turned sixteen.” He didn’t say any more after that, though.”

Mayor Cathbad relayed the sequence of events that had taken place so far to his liege. “So far, we’ve just been discussing tax revenue and things. Apologies, Domnall; I know that’s your area of expertise.”

Capture 12.PNG

Domnall was still flushed and breathing heavily. He managed to huff out, “It’s fine. Your city, your policies. I have a more important matter to attend to, anyway.”

“Oh? And that is?” This was the first time Murchad had heard of any such ‘important matter.’

“Simple. Wiping the remnants of those horrid Norse off this island.” Tryggve stared at Domnall, his face half incredulity and half well-disguised rage.

One could feel the atmosphere in the room tense up as soon as Domnall let loose his insult. Murchad tentatively asked, “What exactly are you talking about, Domnall? I will remind you that our Spymaster is Norwegian himself.” He gestured to Tryggve, who leaned back in his seat and nodded, still glaring at Domnall.

“Oh, he’s fine.” Some of the tension in the room faded away. Some of it. “I mean to spread Irish culture among the citizens of Dublin, turn them away from their Viking roots.

“Well,” Murchad let out an awkward chuckle, “I wish you luck with that. It’s your business, after all.”

Tryggve spoke for the first time since Murchad and his son had entered the room. “I would be more cautious about insulting us in the future. Half this county would not exist today without us, nor would you be the Catholic religion you love so much.” Domnall and Tryggve shot mutually fierce glares across the table at each other.

Capture 14.PNG

“Alright boys, alright!” Cathbad slammed his fists down on the ovular table the council was gathered round. “Enough is enough; I won’t have anyone fighting in the council!”

Murchad sighed a grateful sigh. He didn’t have the spine to interfere in these things himself, so he was relieved Cathbad had done so for him.

“Anyway,” the Earl of Dublin decided now was a prudent time to change the topic. “I have an announcement to make. Guards, bring in Bjorn!”

“Bjorn? Who is-” Brenainn was cut off when Bjorn entered the room.

A fresh-faced youth of seventeen with long red locks, Bjorn towered above any of the other men on the council, even when they were standing. “Our new marshal, that’s who.”

Brenainn took a few seconds to process his liege’s news. “Wait, you’re firing me? You’re firing me?”

“Yes. I’m afraid Bjorn has proven himself to be a lot more effective than you at managing troops.”

“How?” Brenainn’s face lit up with anger. “How is this whelp better than me?!” He stood up and turned to face Bjorn.

Bjorn still loomed over Brenainn, his youthful face displaying an ugly smirk. “You think you can take me in a fight? Good luck.”

Capture 13.PNG

“Yes,” Cathbad taunted from the back of the room, “I would love to see you try. You’re supposed to be the Marshal, but I can fight better than you. I know because I’ve won before. You could barely beat Tryggve in a fight!” Tryggve winced at that, despite how true it was.

Murchad had a jovial smirk, too. He was having some fun, seeing the rather incompetent mayor ridiculed. “You’re the reason we lost those forty levies, you know. I think you might’ve scared ‘em away.”

Bjorn laughed and roughly shoved Brenainn out of the way, taking his seat as Marshal both figuratively and literally. “That’s the difference between us; I can scare forty men into joining me.”

Brenainn seemed frozen in place; he knew not what to do. His fists were balled and his face turning red, but that was about it. He eventually settled for shouting, “Do not think this will go without retribution! I am your strongest vassal!” A very humble compliment, Murchad knew.

“Yes,” Murchad replied calmly, “but you still have a third of my men. And as we just covered, I have better commanders. And my father has well over four times your men. Together, we would crush any attempts at rebellion. Do you have any further objections?”

Brenainn did not, apparently. If he did, he wasn’t about to express them. He stormed off, spouting curses about his liege.

“Well,” Murchad chuckled, this one a bit more genuine, “that’s him taken care of. How about we acquaint you with your new job, Bjorn?”

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am your strongest vassal.
-Some random mayor

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Chapter 3- December 1066
Gudrod Haraldsson, the Petty King of the Sudreyjar, let out a hearty laugh at his wife’s joke. “Oh, that’s an excellent one, dear! An alliance with the Scots? Who are we to marry? Surely Domhnall doesn’t qualify as a lass?”

Capture 8.PNG

His wife, Ragnhild Haraldsdatter, rolled her eyes and sighed. “Does every alliance have to be sealed with a marriage in this land? Can you not just agree to fight each other’s wars and be done with it?”

Capture 9.PNG

“Bah.” Gudrod leaned back in this throne and stroked his beard. “We’re better than that anyway. They’re the ones we’re supposed to be drivin’ off this island, remember?”

“Aren’t we allying with-” Ragnhild was cut off by a messenger sprinting into the throne room, announcing the arrival of Murchad, Earl of Dublin.

The caravan consisted of four people; Murchad himself, Domnall, Tailltu, and Cathbad. The latter was only there as Murchad’s chancellor, tasked to accompany his liege on all foreign visits.

Murchad bowed to the ruler who was technically his superior, a king to his simple count. A smile was on his face as he came up and greeted Gudrod, “Greetings. I don’t believe we’ve met before.”

Gudrod’s face split open wide with a gigantic smile. “Don’t think we have, friend. Don’t think so.”

“You’ve already decided I’m your friend? My, that was fast.”

“A turn of phrase, Murchad. Is that better?” Murchad shrugged and chuckled lightheartedly.

“You can call me whatever you want, Gudrod. I consider myself a tolerant man.”

They were speaking in perfect Norwegian, which prompted Cathbad to protest, “I thought you brought me here to translate.”

Murchad smirked back at his chancellor and retorted in Irish, “No, you’re the one who needs to learn the language. You can speak Gaelic, but your Norwegian’s awful. I’ve seen you try and hold a conversation with Tryggve; it’s bloody hilarious.” Cathbad crossed his arms and directed his gaze toward the ground.

Gudrod suddenly exclaimed in Norwegian, “Now that’s a bloody riot! The Chancellor’s the one getting educated this time!” He didn’t understand much Irish, but it was close enough to Gaelic, which he did understand, that he could get the gist of what was being said.

Tailltu grabbed her husband’s arm and sternly reminded him, “Back on task, if you would. Time is precious.”

“Right.” Murchad regained his focus on what they had come to do. “I would like to propose an alliance. My son Domnall would like to take the hand of your sister Helga in marriage.” Short and to the point. Perfect.

Ragnhild’s eyes turned into flinty chips as she stared Murchad down. “Why, exactly, are you suddenly so interested in my sister-in-law? Are there not plenty of women on your island to court?” That was true, but they were all lowborns or infants. Murchad decided bringing that up would be imprudent, give off an air of arrogance.

Instead, he came up with a different excuse, one that was half-true at that. “Well, none of those ladies are the acclaimed ‘most beautiful maiden on the Isles,’ now are they?” Said title was probably untrue, but it was only needed for flattery anyway, so who really cared?

Beside Ragnhild, Gudrod laughed. “I like the way you think, Murchad! Stay for dinner with us, would you? I think you’ll be great company!”

The queen of the Sudreyjar stared Domnall up and down, analyzing the potential husband. She cryptically asked, “What do you think of this arrangement, Domnall? Any opinions?”

Murchad shot a warning look back to his son, only to find that he didn’t need to; Tailltu had already done that for him.

Domnall replied calmly, “If she’s as beautiful as the bards say, I’d be delighted to have her.”

Murchad and Tailltu had already accepted Gudrod’s offer, meaning the chances of meeting Helga were much higher.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The core of the Cheinnselag family was gathered at the table of honour with the members of House Crovan. Gudrod sat the the head of the table, with Ragnhild to his left and an empty seat to his right. One row beside them sat Gudrod’s two siblings; the much talked about Helga beside the empty seat, and Ragnhild keeping a close eye on a younger boy, one a bit younger than Enna. He had neatly parted blond hair and a mischievous look on his face.

Helga, meanwhile, was not far from living up to her falsified title. One long braid of brown hair trailed down her spine, and she was wearing a stunning gold dress as she talked with Domnall. She was apparently quite the social one. If his son wasn’t betrothed to her, Murchad would have considered pursuing her himself, sinful as adultery might be.

Tailltu did seem to be enjoying herself quite a lot, a full plate of veal before her. It made Murchad cringe to see anyone, man or woman, eating quite that much at one time. He sharply reprimanded his wife, making sure to whisper as not to embarrass her, “Control your eating, would you? It’s unseemly.” Her mouth was full, the food blocking her response. However, the glare she shot her husband was enough for him to get the general idea.

Some time later, Murchad felt a presence pushed up against his legs. Looking down, he saw the blond boy from earlier. When Murchad looked back at his seat, it was empty. Ragnhild, who was presumably supposed to be watching him, had been pulled into her husband’s lap. They were very enthusiastic and rather public about their love for each other, regularly sharing kisses in full view of everyone. Oh, how Murchad wished he had a marriage that public.

The earl’s attention was then drawn back to the boy standing in front of his legs. “Well, hello there.”

The boy donned a cocky smile and greeted Murchad, “Hello to you, too. Do you have any cakes you can spare, perhaps? I’m almost out of mine.” He was eating what was presumably the last of his cakes while he was talking, leaving his voice muffled.

Capture 10.PNG

Murchad was in the midst of a response when Gudrod finally seemed to notice his younger brother’s disappearance. “Domhnall!” The entire hall suddenly went silent. “Where the bloody hell have you gone?!” Domhnall Crovan put a finger to his lips, urging Murchad to be silent, and scurried out from underneath the table. The earl decided to play along.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“You two did what?” Helga Crovan and Domnall Cheinnselag stood in front of the latter’s father, arm in arm. He considered himself a patient man, but his temper was wearing thin.

“We’re betrothed, right, Father? It should pose no problem, then.”

“Yes.” Helga agreed with her new lover, donning a dazzling smile that Murchad suspected rather intensely was fake. “I see no problem. We are just doing what couples do, no?”

“Well, there’s a bloody problem with that.” Murchad’s voice remained even, although he knew that might not last for long. “You’re not set to be married. You,” he pointed to Helga, “are to be shipped off to Northumbria in January. Your brother turned down our offer.”

Capture 7.PNG

“What?!” Helga lost her composure almost immediately, before regaining it just as quickly. She still had a scowl on her face when she next spoke. “Surely, you can do something to make him change his mind. England is a land at war, after all.”

Unfortunately, Gudrod had already told Murchad his mindset. He was quite nice about it, all things considered. It wasn’t hard to figure out, given his actions. “He wants an in no matter who wins. He married Harald Hardrada’s daughter, and he’s marrying you to one of Godwinson’s most loyal vassals, the Earl of Northumbria. If the Frenchman wins, he told me he’ll ‘marry Domhnall to his daughter or whoever.’ I’m not changing his mind.”

Domnall was staring down his father, his wrath rather poorly disguised. “Do you not want us to have such a powerful ally?”

“Plus,” Helga interjected, “what about true love? He has fallen in love, and so have I.” Murchad wasn’t sure of that, but Helga staying by his son at all did lend some credence to the theory.

Thus, Murchad tried to be sympathetic. “Listen, I understand. I’ve been a lusty young man myself. I’m still lusty now.” He halfheartedly laughed. “I’ve loved and lost. If there was something I could do about your predicament, I would. One thing I can do is not let your brother know about your… indiscretions.”

Helga once again put on a charming smile. “If you could keep our secret, that would be excellent. I would certainly owe you a favour; I can be quite… influential.” She didn’t need to ask. Murchad was already going to, and he told her as much.

“Thank you. Please, rest assured that I will not betray this favour.”

Domnall was far less diplomatic about it, however. He swore, “I will find a way to be with her. One way or another, she will be mine!”

Helga rolled her eyes and giggled, switching from bored to happy in a split second. She said in a hushed voice, “There’s the man I want to be mine one day.” Funny, that. Two young lovers, each claiming to own the other. Who, Murchad wondered, would be right, if either?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Well, this might pose an issue.

Well, that might be a huge problem.

Also, words have power. Insulting the Norse is a bad idea...

Chapter 4- 7 May 1067
“Shh!” King Murchad of Munster loudly quieted his errant son Brian, who was making quite the racket. Oh, the irony of that sentence.

Capture 16.PNG

Brian promptly silenced himself, instead focusing on the stag he was about to shoot down. It was a beautiful specimen, truly earning the title “King of the Woods.” It had some of the largest horns he’d ever seen on an animal, and it was larger than either man by a good margin.

When Brian let loose his arrow, it promptly missed, thudding into a tree about two metres away from the stag. He growled lowly, rueing his apparently insufficient arms training, cursing his uncle Lorcan.

The combination of these factors was enough to alert the stag he was hunting to the presence of a predator. It shot its head up from where it was feeding, then bolted as soon as it saw its hunter hiding among the bushes. Needless to say, their attempt failed.

Murchad growled in irritation and loosed an arrow from his position. It speared the stag in its right hind leg, sending it to the lush forest floor, where it cried out in pain.

Murchad and Brian both emerged from their hiding places, but the father far outstripped the son. He speared the stag through the throat, quickly ending its life.

As the stag’s blood soaked into the dirt, Murchad smacked his son upside the head, hard. “Bloody idiot,” he remarked. “Can’t even shoot a bow straight. How’re you gonna go to war if you can’t fight? Leadin’ from behind the lines’ll only get you so far.”

Brian was not remotely fond of his father’s continuous insults. He angrily responded, “I’ll do fine, thank you very much. I’ve got twenty years more’n you, that’s for sure.”

Capture 18.PNG

Murchad muttered, unaware of his eldest son being able to hear him, “Please God, let Cwenburg give me a son.” Cwenburg was Murchad’s wife, only three years older than Brian himself. He questioned the king’s choice, but he wasn’t in a position to object, nor would he try to seduce a pregnant woman, his stepmother no less. He had honour.

Brian was very aware he owed everything to his father. Both men may have been short of temper, but neither was stupid. A fistfight would be fun but not productive in the slightest.

Some time later, the stag had been dragged back to the nobles’ cart, horns removed for a trophy and meat carved up for easy transport. Murchad ordered the driver, “Head back to the castle, would you? Get there in two hours or less.”

Brian felt compelled to add, “I’ll pay you double for it.” He earned a brief glare from his father, one which abated very quickly.

Meanwhile, a pregnant Queen Cwenburg of Munster waddled out of Thomond Keep to greet their newly arrived guests. Namely, the Earl of Dublin and his family.

Murchad had brought his wife and three sons, of course. His father had adamantly refused to attend, citing health reasons. The earl suspected that said reasons had nothing to do with disease.

Murchad, being a much more trusting man than his father, had no issue with celebrating Cwenburg’s pregnancy. At least, that was the official reason for his visit. In truth, he had other, fairly obvious motives.

When Murchad got out of his carriage, he found Tailltu and Cwenburg engaged in a hostile staring contest. Neither liked the other much, it seemed. “What’s this about?”

Cwenburg sourly told Murchad, “I do not see what business a lowly count has with us, the House of Briain. We are the rightful owners of Ireland. You are our rightful vassals.”

Capture 17.PNG

Before her husband could say anything, Tailltu sniped back, “And you don’t fit either description, lowborn.” Murchad decided not to point out that she too was lowborn. An insult was an insult, after all.

Nonetheless, peace had to be maintained. Thus, Murchad decided to intervene. “My mother was your husband’s sister, I will remind you.” This immediately earned him Cwenburg’s ire, evidenced by the fierce glare she gave him.

Enna backed up his father’s claim, “Yeah, we’re family. That’s why we’re here, right Father?” Murchad nodded approvingly.

Donnchad, face completely neutral like usual, stated, “Let’s all stay calm here. We don’t need to get angry.”

Murchad bent over and ruffled his youngest son’s hair. He whispered, “Good boy, Donnchad. Now you’re learning.” Enna was almost of age; he didn’t need the same amount of praise the twelve-year-old Donnchad did.

“Anyway,” Murchad asked, “where’s your husband? I notice my uncle didn’t come out to greet me.”

Cwenburg sneered at Murchad and informed him, “Murchad and Brian are out hunting. I presume they’ll be back some time in the next few hours. Please, feel free to wait outside until they arrive.” The lower-ranked noble wasn’t fooled for a second by her more diplomatic language; the sentiment beneath was just as vicious as it was before.

“Well,” Murchad diplomatically parried, “how about we wait inside? Surely you have the accommodations to treat us to something finer than what we have at home.” Cwenburg recoiled at the extremely polite jibe, prompting Tailltu to shoot her a smug grin.

“Bah! Suffer in the cold, impudent fools!” Before anyone could say anything else, Cwenburg turned right back around and marched into the secure walls of the keep, locking the Cheinnselag representatives out.

Domnall bitterly remarked, “I told you we should have brought Cathbad. Much as we disagree, he does have quite the silver tongue.”

Murchad quipped, “Not quite as much as the two of us, right son?” Both father and son laughed at his joke, with only the former’s coming out as the full-throated bellow it was meant to be. Domnall’s laugh was more of a deep chuckle. Everyone else present rolled their eyes.

Tailltu started cursing under her breath. “That little upstart…” Murchad filtered her speech to be a bit more palatable; he doubted the people listening would want to hear such obscenities as his wife spat.

Donnchad walked up and wrapped his mother in a hug. Or at least, he tried to; he was too small to make it more than halfway around her waist. He hadn’t quite hit his growth spurt yet, apparently. Hopefully there would be a growth spurt to have.

Murchad’s youngest son reassured his mother, “Don’t worry, Mother. We’ll be in soon, I promise.”

“Aww.” Tailltu rubbed her son’s head, draping an arm about his shoulders and pulling him in tighter. “Thank you for the thought, Donnchad.”

Meanwhile, Enna was bouncing up and down in place. He shouted, “I’ve been sitting for hours! I don’t want to do more sitting!” He thought about his problem for a bit before deciding, “I know, I’m going to go running!” He then dashed off.

“Wait!” Tailltu knew she had no chance of catching her son, and thus didn’t try. “Murchad! Find him and make sure he doesn’t get himself hurt!” He promptly obliged, partly because he wanted to and partly out of fear of his wife’s wrath.

The pair’s run had long since finished when two brawny men, one with a beard and one without, came out of the keep and zeroed in on the family. They looked friendly, so Murchad wasn’t worried.

“Greetings.” The clean-shaven one spoke first. “I would have expected you to bring an escort with you, but I suppose this makes things easier.” Now Murchad was a tad more wary.

All four men present put their hands to their swords, despite two of them being children and another being quite weak. The man who spoke seemed to have realized his error, as he hurriedly stated, “No, that’s not what I meant! My apologies!”

The bearded one then interrupted his partner, “My name Conchobar. He Lorcan.” He spoke in a very strange manner, something Murchad picked up on almost immediately. “We’re both brother of King Murchad.” Something very weird was happening with Conchobar’s speech. Murchad was trying to figure out what it was when Enna shaking his shoulder brought him back to attention.

Capture 19.PNG

“I said,” it was Lorcan speaking this time, “would you like to come into the keep?”

Capture 20.PNG

Tailltu challenged Lorcan for some reason. Perhaps not her smartest move, but he seemed genial enough. “I thought your Queen refused us entry.”

“Ah, about that…” Lorcan was interrupted by Conchobar.

“The queen lack the authority to lock you out. Murchad put me and my brother in charge of the keep while he left.” Murchad understood the situation now. A rather humorous one, actually.

Lorcan then started apologizing on Cwenburg’s behalf. “You know what they say; a pregnant woman is the least rational human one can imagine.” He lightly chuckled, joined by Conchobar and Domnall. Murchad was considerably more hesitant about joining in, and his wife was angrily glowering at Lorcan.

“I’ve been pregnant three times and I haven’t become a she-devil. Consider getting your brother a different wife.”

Lorcan took Tailltu’s rebuttal in stride. “I think you mean another wife. He already has one, in truth. She is a much more pleasant person to talk with, even if she is near-useless on the more… conjugal… side of things.” Lorcan winced at the thought.

It was an important reminder that unlike Murchad of Dublin, who was a devout Catholic, Murchad of Munster was far more of a typical Irishman. This included taking as many wives as one wished, much to the chagrin of everyone off the island. He just knew that such activities would get the king killed one day.

“Anyway,” Conchobar once again interrupted, “I’m getting bored. You want to go in now?” Murchad had a hunch as to what the problem was, but he refused to state it. Being nice sometimes took one a long way.

And so it was that Murchad’s family were treated to much more comfortable amenities inside the keep. Enna and Donnchad were allowed on the sparring grounds with the other youths and young adults inside Munster’s capital, Domnall was introduced to a lovely young maidservant, and Tailltu was treated to a plate of fresh fish.

Unfortunately, Murchad could indulge in none of these, for he was called to the king’s study to discuss business. According to Conchobar, he had ordered ‘Only [him]. No family.’

Murchad the weaker found Murchad the stronger reclining in what looked to be a very comfortable chair, with his wife, about three months pregnant by the looks of things, standing beside him. Conchobar and Lorcan stood behind them, barring the door.

“So,” Murchad stroked his fiery orange beard, “What’s it you wanted to talk about, nephew? I don’t have much time, I’m afraid.” Murchad the black-haired very much doubted that.

“I wanted to ask about an alliance. We are, after all, family. Would it not be best to stand together, against the foreign rulers of Wales, Scotland, and England?”

Cwenburg interjected, “Like you’ll be any help. I would sooner ally Connacht than you, and nobody’s been able to find him for ten years!”

Her husband waved her off, ordering her, “Go away, woman. You have no stake in this.”

However, Cwenburg adamantly refused. “I do! I am the Queen of Munster, carrying the potential prince!” The existence of her stepson Brian was conveniently forgotten about by the queen.

That was not the case for the king, however. Not at all. “I have a son! He may be a disappointment, but he is my heir, and I will not have you trying to oust him!” Murchad flared up awfully quickly, to the point where the other Murchad was starting to regret his visit. “Now go away, woman!” He got up from his seat and forcefully shoved her toward the door.

This did not cow the queen, however. She marched right back up to her husband and slapped him across the face, her long nails drawing blood. This likely helped nothing. She spat at her husband, “Do you want a fight?! Because if so, a fight is what you’ll get!”

Murchad the earl felt frozen in his seat. What was he to do? He wanted to break things up, but he also didn’t want to endanger his alliance.

Murchad the king had his fists clenched, and was breathing heavily. “I will tell you one more time. Go away. My temper is running short, and as much as I would like to force you into submission, you are carrying my child.” Cwenburg did not leave, however. She stared her husband down, fire in both partners’ eyes.

It was at that time that Murchad the black-haired sighed in relief, as Conchobar and Lorcan charged in to break up the fight. Conchobar ordered, “Lorcan, take Cwenburg. Be gentle.”

“Got it, brother.” Lorcan easily picked up the much smaller Cwenburg and carried her out of the room.

Conchobar then rounded on his brother. “What are you doing, brother? Letting your wrath override your judgement? If I not there, you could have hurt her. Hurt your baby.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Murchad dismissed his brother’s concerns and turned back to his negotiating partner. “Apologies for my wife there; she’s not normally this much of an arse.” The other Murchad didn’t respond. He felt sorry for both partners in that marriage, but this wasn’t the time to piece together his uncle’s household.

“So, did you think about my offer?”

“Yeah, I did. The answer’s no. I gave you an audience in my sister’s memory, but it doesn’t seem like my dad made a great decision.” That one stung.

“What do you mean, exactly?” Murchad was able to keep his composure, but the disappointment weighing on him was growing in size. It was like a gigantic sandbag had just been thrown on his back, and he was struggling to stay standing. Even though he wasn’t standing.

“I mean that you’re weak, friend. Your old man isn’t helping me any time soon, and you don’t have any more men on you than any of these other pathetic earls on the island.” That was true, even if it hurt to hear it said out loud.

Murchad of Munster sank back into his chair and stared into Murchad of Dublin’s eyes for a good thirty seconds before testily asking him, “Any more business to bring before me, or can I be rid of you now? The truth was that there was no more business.

As Murchad left the study of his fellow Murchad, fuming at his rejection, he knew one thing; the Duke of Munster would be his greatest adversary and final obstacle to uniting all the Irish under one banner.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There seem to be family issues...

That refusal will be remembered... and, in all likelihood, cursed.

A house divided ...