• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Uriah

"The Verbose"
56 Badges
Dec 22, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
Preface

A brief note before getting into this attempt to conquer the known world.

This is my first game ever of Imperator, so don't expect a "how to do it" AAR. Probably more a "what not to do" AAR. And I play for fun, not necessarily to win. Sometimes I make decisions to fit in with what I think my characters would do, rather than what might be the best or safest. But, given that, I do try to win, or at least survive. Though I don't cheat. I don't play Ironman because I often need to go back to previous saves to check on details or get screenshots I missed, but I generally only retrack when I am distracted by my wife and miss an important event.

Finally, while I this is my first game of Imperator, I have logged thousands of hours of the HOI franchise, hundreds of hours of Victoria and EU. Could never get into CK. And I have written some very long AARs - I think my two HOI3 AARs had about 1 million views.

So a last point: this will probably not be for those who like a quick read. I play slowly and I include a lot of detail.

A final (I promise) point - feel free to criticise, You won't hurt my feeling. Having brought up three daughters, I am now immune.

I like Imperator AARs! Subbed!

This should be interesting...

The Chosen People

Introduction: King Simon I issues an order

In his fortieth year, my lord Simon Zadokite became King of Judea. One of his first actions was to summon me and instruct me to begin and maintain a record of his reign. From the enthusiastic way he talked about this record, I got the distinct impression he believes that, in time, it will become a national treasure, like the books of the Torah, and that he will gain a reputation to match those of Solomon, David and other great kings in our nation’s history.

We shall see. I am a mere scribe, and my opinion is of no account.

Before commencing, it may help the reader to have some background on Judea and its new king.

The bulk of Judea’s population is Jewish Hebrew, but there are some Phoenician, Aramaic and Nabatean citizens. It is a landlocked country, centred around Lake Asphaltites. There are 20 territories: 12 in Judea itself, 7 in Peraea and 1 in Samaria. The capital is Jerusalem, which, in addition to its fortress, contains the Temple of Samuel. There is another fortress to the east, in Characmoba, protecting the province of Peraea. We are largely self-sufficient, and we have a surplus of honey, vegetables and cloth should we need to trade with our neighbours.

Dead_Sea.jpg

Lake Asphaltities, sometimes called the Dead Sea​

For our sins, we are currently paying tribute to the Antigonids, who rule virtually everything to our north and west, other than Samaria, but that country is also under Antigonid “protection”. To the east there is nothing but desolation. To the south lies Nabatea. We have contact with the Egyptians through Elousa.

Judeafinal.jpg

Kingdom of Judea​

When I was young, I thought Judea to be vast. Jerusalem was enormous, and from there one could walk for days without leaving Judean territory. Now, having acquired both age and wisdom, I realise that we are a tiny part of the world, a world that stretches far in all directions, though most of our information comes from the west, where a great sea provides a trading route to many nations.

The Antigonid Kingdom, which I thought to be the greatest in the world, is matched by that of Egypt, and is dwarfed by the Kingdom of the Seleucids to the east. There are countless nations to the west that are all equal or larger than Judea. For a Chosen People we seem to be very small and weak, almost insignificant. This annoys the new king greatly.

Westfinal.jpg

The World as we know it​

Do not get me wrong – Simon I is not some sort of aggressive expansionist. Our new leader, is known to be just if a bit zealous, and the military admire his sense of security. I am told he does siphon funds from the Royal Treasury for his personal use, but which king doesn’t? A little corruption is tolerable. More importantly, he has told his inner circle that though he wants to grow his kingdom, he will not do so impetuously. So no sudden outbreak of war. That at least is a relief.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Chosen People

Part 1: The Mission of King Simon I

I had barely finished writing down my initial thoughts when a slave informed me I was wanted by the king. Simon was in his private quarters, relaxing on a divan. He did not invite me to sit but began speaking immediately.

“You have heard of Herodotus of Halicarnassus? You have read his “Histories”?”

biography-herodotus-of-halicarnassuscrop.jpg

Herodotos of Halicarnassus – the Father of History looking forward and back​

I nodded – like any civilised person I am fluent in Greek and have read all the important writers – the palace has a reasonable collection of scrolls.

“That is what I want for posterity. A record from the start of my mission.”

I must have looked blank, because he explained:

Palestine.jpg

The region of Palestine – more than double the size of the present Kingdom of Judea​

“To bring the whole of Palestine under the rule of Judea! To recreate the glory of Solomon! To make Judea great again!

“That is my mission. The night I was crowned king I dreamt that I was seated on a throne on a high mountain and a voice told me that it was my destiny to recover the lost territories and restore Judea to its rightful place as an independent kingdom!”

The king was flushed with enthusiasm, and, not wishing to be sent to a slave mine, I kept my views on setting foreign policy on the basis of a dream experienced after a stressful day to myself.

“But first there are some pressing matters that have to be dealt with.”

I expected him to refer to the fact that we are under the thumb of the Antigonids, to whom we must pay tribute and who might have an opinion on Judea starting wars in the neighbourhood, but he seemed to ignore that minor detail.

“Before I can begin my mission in earnest, our nation must become more powerful. We must grow in numbers, so that we can build a mighty army. But that will be slow and not enough to defeat our enemies who are far more numerous. We must develop our civilisation, our level of skill in all areas. We must become rich through trade and the raising of taxation from the population. We must be united in our religion and culture.

“I have decided to appoint some military advisors to improve our army. To give our merchants a better standing internationally we shall adopt standardised measures for all trade. And legal matters will be settled by due process, to give the people confidence in the law.

“Trade is to expand. New imports will be allowed into Jerusalem. Papyrus from Egypt and livestock from Kidyessos in Phrygia Minor for now, but perhaps more later.

Papyrus-Paper (1).jpg

Some of the papyrus imported from Egypt will be used in my record of Simon’s achievements​

“After much discussion with the elders and the priests, I have realised that the Prophet David has sent us an omen. Our economy will greatly expand over the next 10 years, with more taxes for the Treasury and more freemen moving to our lands.

“Not only that, but the Court Philosopher, Mannaseh Zadokite, has come up with some ideas that seem promising. Judaism will be the state religion, we will sanction privilege and all construction materials will be standardised. These are to be come into force immediately. Manneseh has been instructed to develop new ideas with the assistance of his researchers, but he warns this could be a long process. I want you to keep an eye on his progress. Any problems you report directly to me.”

Another nod. It seemed the safest option – I didn’t want to interrupt Simon while he was in full stream of consciousness.

“Oh, and by the way, I have decided to remarry. A royal necessity I am afraid. You may know her – Judith Zakobite. Only 21 years old, but she shows a great deal of finesse, something I lack myself. There is an age difference of course, but what is 20 years really?”

I was debating internally whether this was a rhetorical question but it seemed that the king had finished.

He waved me away while calling for a slave to bring him some dates and a fresh drink.

I retreated to my quarters and prepared to transcribe my notes from my wax tablet to a scroll. It seems that Judea will be experiencing a few changes in the coming years. Whether that will be for the betterment of its people is still to be determined. One thing is for sure – they will be better off than those Phrygian shepherds given the task of driving flocks of sheep and goats from Anatolia to Jerusalem!

This king seems very ambitious... I wonder how that will go. Let's hope that the Wars of the Diadochi keep the Greeks distracted...

Will you play politics with the Diadochi? Side with Egypt or the Antigonids depending on which benefits you more at the time?

This king seems very ambitious... I wonder how that will go. Let's hope that the Wars of the Diadochi keep the Greeks distracted...

Will you play politics with the Diadochi? Side with Egypt or the Antigonids depending on which benefits you more at the time?
At the moment survival is my main goal. If anyone turns on me it will be a short game, even with the Antigonids protecting me. But as a tributary nation of the Antigonids, my first decision must be when to break free of them. Until then my diplomatic options are limited. But that will not only lose their protections, but also give them a casus belli. As it so often is in these games, it could be a lose:lose decision.

Seems like a tough place to start. But I want to see this happen.

Seems like a tough place to start. But I want to see this happen.
That is a measure of my cunning. If I get wiped out early I can say "Nobody can win from there". The reality is that I wanted a bit of a challenge, a country that there wasn't already an AAR for and one that I knew something about. The Iceni or the Trinovantes seemed a little tougher.

The Chosen People

Part 2: The Reign of Simon I – Year 1

The start of Simon’s mission did not begin in a manner likely to excite the masses. A few days after our initial conversation, I received word that the export of some surplus honey had been approved. Quite a few traders were interested but the Tymadians got the deal. We still have some spare, but it was felt that we should keep some extra for our own use. As it says in Proverbs: “My son, eat honey, for it is good”.

BUZZ-10-5-2017-4-690x497.png

Our bee hives are most productive – Canaan was called the “Land of Milk and Honey”.​

A week or so after that a meeting was held with some of the more powerful men in the royal and noble families attending. I was present of course – Simon wants all these meetings to be recorded.

(He wants me to copy the way Herodotus includes in his “Histories” what is said in various meetings leading up to the Persian invasion of Greece – I have no wish to anger him by explaining that Herodotus was not present and had no way of knowing what was said or if the meeting even took place. He just made it up).

The topic – Simon’s plans for expansion and the attitude we should take with the neighbouring states. I was a little surprised when after some extremely passionate discussion the king announced that we would be pursuing a more warlike approach. My face must have given me away, because when the others left, he motioned me to stay.

“You find my decision perplexing? Perhaps you disagree?”

“No, not at all” I replied as quickly as I could. “I just thought that you had indicated a slow and gradual approach, not striking until you are ready”.

“That is still the plan. But when considering long term goals, one must not neglect the day-to-day tensions that arise. Did you notice that Onias my son and heir was forceful in his desire for a peaceful approach and was disappointed when I overruled him?”

“Yes, my lord.”

“Onias is a good son and intensely loyal to me. His disappointment will not damage that loyalty. But Eleazar Zadokite, my close relative currently working closely with the Court Philosopher, was just as forceful in his call for aggression. He is far less loyal, and to be overruled might have led him to some rash decision. Perhaps leading to a direct challenge to my authority. Best to give him a scrap and keep him happy. The actual policy can change later – but I need no internal dissension.”

Loyalcrop.jpg

The ruling Zadokite Family, ordered by loyalty to the king. Eleazar is near the bottom, while Onias is the most loyal of Simon’s relatives.​

It would appear that I must think more deviously than I have previously if I am to keep track of palace intrigues and power plays.

Then some weeks of nothing but the mundane. The king had explained to me that as part of my duties I was to fraternise with traders and travellers and gather news from outside our borders. To be honest, most of it is rubbish. Tribes I have never heard of adopting traditions or religious beliefs that have no relevance to Judea. I ignore most of it, but keep an ear out for anything that might interest the king.

A similar situation applies with monitoring Menassah and his band of intellectuals. A lot of talk but it is of little interest: progress in developing new ideas is painfully slow. I also keep in touch with the Shephat, Ezekiah Hyracanus, which at least gives me something to keep track of – the content of the Treasury increases every month. That is so even with the payment of more than half a talent as tribute to the Antagonid Greeks every month.

We may be raising more in taxes and trade imposts than we spend, but the Treasury is not as full as it was. The King is very keen that Judea become a centre of learning, and has heard that a huge library has recently been built in Alexandria. He has ordered that a similar (but much smaller and less expensive) library be built in Jerusalem. It will take at least 180 days and more than half our total wealth, but Simon points to the benefits: faster research, a higher level of civilisation and an increase in the conversion rate. That may all be true, but with our current income it will take many years to replace those precious talents.

Library-of-Alexandria-cover.jpg

The Great Library of Alexandria: the Library of Jerusalem will not be so grand​

• 1Like
Reactions:
Israel is doing well - becoming a center of learning is nothing to scoff at!

I love how much Simon misunderstands Herodotus's Histories... will that lead to more hilarity in the future?

The Chosen People

Part 3: The Reign of Simon I – Year 2

Early in the second year of Simon’s reign his ability to play both sides was on display – when an opportunity to sound out the opposition was presented, he went with friendship to Nabatea! The direct opposite of his earlier warlike position! That is diplomacy I suppose.

It was not a one-off decision either. We received a message from Hasa Malud, the Chief Philosopher at the Court of Nabatea, and responded with a gift of a considerable amount of money, further ingratiating ourselves with the likely target of our expansion.

Privately Simon reassured me that his plans were not affected by his outward signs of peace. The success of a Commercial Venture allowed the import of Palmyrene stone, lowering building costs and making our slaves much happier. The library was completed, helping our researchers in their quest for new ideas to make the nation strong. Research into Civic issues was increased when Eleazar Zadokite was replaced as lead researcher by Ezekiah Kalatha, a much more intelligent man. To placate the Zadokite family, angered at losing an important post, Eleazar was made Shephat, in place of Ezekiah Hyracus. That seems to have turned Joseph Hyrcanus against the king, but as the king said, we will deal with him later.

quarry.jpg

The Palmyrene quarry will enjoy the order for a steady supply of stone to Judea​

To help recover some of the enormous cost of the library, Treasury, supported by the newly appointed Shephat, convinced Simon to issue a permit for the export of more honey. Despite pressure from many merchants, however, the king refused to allow any cloth to be traded away – it is too important. Even without that extra income, there were enough funds to provide for the construction of a granary in Jerusalem.

The Courts, which had been considering the implications of Simon’s mission, handed down their decision. Judea should announce that it would protect the weak of Palestine. A subtle move – who would suspect that the offer of a small olive branch would conceal a desire for conquest? This peaceful façade was bolstered by the adoption by the Chancellor of a mercantile stance to foreign relations.

At the beginning of the 10th month of his second year, Simon actually came to my quarters! His excitement was apparent.

“Get out your writing equipment! Great news! The Ptolemies have declared war on the Antigonids! Our two most powerful neighbours at each other’s throats! This could be our chance to throw off the shackles, to stand as an independent nation!”

Then he rushed off, presumably to order the Chancellor to send out messengers to get more news on this earthshaking development. Spies were also sent to all the market places and bazaars. They were to gather any scraps of information about the military dispositions of the two major powers.

It was not too long before a picture could be put together. The Antigonids were currently at war with Macedon and its allies. That war seemed to be of little importance. With no common border, presumably some minor naval engagements were all that could be expected. More serious was the Antigonid invasion of its neighbour Cappadocia. Most of Cappadocia was under Antigonid control, but conquering the last strongholds seemed to be taking some time. The Egyptians on the other hand were at war with perhaps a dozen nations, but most were in Greece. Some sort of dispute over who was the true inheritor of Alexander’s legacy.

Cappadocia.jpg

Cappadocia – almost 80% has been overrun by the Antigonid armies, with only the south-east and south-west holding out.​

Gadish Hyrcanus, the Mefahked, was encouraged by this. Admittedly he is not the brightest member of the royal court, but he is intensely loyal and can be relied on to say what he thinks about our military situation.

“All the indications are that the main Antigonid force is in Cappadocia, with some scattered along the northern coasts to prevent a sudden invasion from Macedon. There will be little in the south to block the Egyptians, let alone worry about us.

“It is harder to know what Ptolemaios I Soter Lagid is up to. We have no idea where his armies are, nor how aggressive his campaign might be against the Antigonids. For a man of 65 he is being quite aggressive. Should he die in the near future, which is something we must consider, his son Ptolemaius Keraunos Lagid is reasonably warlike and might be expected to continue the war.

Simon gave no indication of his thinking on the matter. I suspect that he was in two minds as to what to do, and preferred to wait and see. A wrong decision could see Judea ravaged by enemy armies and he and his family executed.

Another piece of news towards the end of the year might have helped him in his quandary. Yitha’amar I Yashhid, Suffete of Lihyan, declared war on the Nabateans. Even a military novice such as myself could work out that the eyes (and armies) of Dharmar’ali I of Nabatea would be turned to the south, away from the border with Judea.

Lihyan.jpg

Lihyan, Nabatea’s southern neighbour, will hopefully distract Nabatea from our plans​

As the year ended, all Judean eyes were on Simon I, wondering what his third year would bring.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It definitely seems like an opportunity to strike.

Taking advantage of the Diadochi fighting each other would be a good move, but it could backfire if a victor emerges. Of course, the chances of that are low.

The Chosen People

Part 4: The Reign of Simon I – Year 3

The new year began with further news that delighted the king. Travellers from the north told of Thracian forces attacking Byzantium. Should the Thracians be successful, and Macedon gain access to that territory, the Antigonids could find themselves under pressure from the west. Just as welcome was the news that the armies of the mighty Seleucid Kingdom were on the march. King Seleukos I Nikator Seleukid had declared war on Armenia. Are his plans for expansion further west, into the territory of the Antigonids?

One hopes so, because before the first month of the year was over, Simon issued his orders to the Shephat. No payment would be made to the Antigonids this month, nor in any month from now on. Judea will throw of the shackles and again be independent! (That did mean that the threat of civil war, previously non-existent because of Antigonid control, became a possibility, but nobody has anywhere near enough power to cause any serious concern).

Outwardly there was little sign of change. The new granary in Jerusalem was completed, but no new building projects were begun. Although it was not confirmed, I heard that a secret meeting between the king, the Shephat and the Mephaket had determined that funds should be saved for now, as it may be necessary to hire mercenaries to supplement our levies. There was another secret meeting, with the Chancellor, but I was present at that one. Our agents in Nabatea were ordered to begin fabricating a claim that Mempsis was really Judean, not Nabatean. When the time is right, that can be used to justify an invasion.

E Armies on move.jpg

Egyptian armies on the move – further protection against Antagonid reprisals​

The Antigonids may have been angered by our refusal to pay tribute any longer, but they had more pressing issues to worry about. Egyptian armies have been seen near our borders, heading north. It would appear that already the provinces northwest of Elousa have been captured by the Egyptians, including the fortress of Gaza. Now the forces of King Ptolemaios occupy Thala and are heading along the coast of the Great Sea. The Egyptian King himself, despite his 65 years, is leading the main force, the 13,000 men of the Army of Lower Egypt. General Marcus Grebus commands the much smaller Army of Palestine, barely 2,000 strong.

The atmosphere at the palace was much more relaxed. There were the normal events that provoked gossip: the heir, Onias Zadokite, sponsored some games and the Shephat, Eleazar Zadokite, started gambling. Personally I find the idea of the man in charge of the Treasury being exposed to money lenders and other unsavoury types a little alarming, but although I am sure Simon has heard the rumours, he has chosen to do nothing. I am not so sure he will do the same about Levi Maiman, a researcher in Oratory. That idiot has let it be known that he is planning to assassinate the Chancellor, Harqaq Yochanan. The likelihood of success is tiny, but what is he thinking?

Much more important than these palace intrigues, the major port of Apollonia Palaistinas has been captured by the Egyptians. How long before the Antigonids react? It may be that all their forces are tied up in Cappadocia. From what we can make out from the garbled and often contradictory tales from merchants, Cappadocian resistance to the invading Antigonids is now concentrated in the mountainous country to the east. To take those provinces would be difficult, which might explain the lack of action here in the south. The Seleucid invasion of Armenia is apparently going more smoothly, with several provinces already said to be under Seleucid control.

granarycrop.jpg

Rebuilding of the granary was undertaken by the original Egyptian architects and builders​

Disaster struck towards the end of the year. Not a massive disaster, like the arrival of an Antigonid army, but a disaster no less. The newly constructed granary in Jerusalem caught fire and sustained severe damage. While there was a call by some to simply demolish it, King Simon considers it an important strategic keystone and authorised Treasury to pay for repairs. While this gave him a boost in his popularity, it was an expensive exercise, as specialist builders had to be brought from Egypt, and the loss of an enormous amount of grain could not be avoided.

There was worse to come. The Antigonids are celebrating the surrender of the Cappadocian king, Ariarathes II. All his lands are under control of the Antigonids, and Cappodicia is reduced to nothing but a satrapy. The Antigonid armies are free to move south. The only thing that might prevent that happening is that Thrace has forced Byzantium to cede its western provinces. As Macedon has the right to military passage through Thrace, perhaps it will turn its naval war with the Antigonids into a land war of conquest. One can but hope!

The other political news was disconcerting. As our spies spread rumours about our claim to the Nabatean province of Mempsis, the Nabateans have altered their diplomatic stance to bellicose. Could they be planning to pre-empt our invasion? Do we face a threat, not from the north, but from the south? Our recent payment to the Egyptian builders has made hiring mercenaries out of the question for some time. Would our local levies be enough to deter the Nabateans?

Capp surrenderfinal.jpg

Our region following the surrender of Cappadocia: the Antigonid threat is only eased by the advance of the Egyptians, the expansion of the Seleucids into Armenia and the possible entry of Macedon into Asia through Thrace. Nabatea must also be considered a threat.​

Just before the end of the year, there was a strange event. A wandering prophet passed through Jerusalem, spreading the normal tale of woe and destruction should we not all mend our ways. What was different about this one was that he had a specific source for this divine retribution. Somewhere far in the west, further even thea Greece, some city had defeated a local tribe, the Sabines. According to this man’s prophecy, this signalled the coming of the Lord’s wrath. This caused a lot of sniggers around the more secular members of the court, but the devout looked concerned. I really don’t know what to think, but the king did get me to make a note of the city’s name: Rome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Judaea is free, but that freedom is threatened by the Antigonids. Maybe an alliance with Egypt could help?

A prophecy that Judaea will fall to Rome... I wonder if it is true, or if this prophet is merely seeing visions of our timeline...

Judaea is free, but that freedom is threatened by the Antigonids. Maybe an alliance with Egypt could help?

A prophecy that Judaea will fall to Rome... I wonder if it is true, or if this prophet is merely seeing visions of our timeline...
Hard to get an alliance with Egypt - major powers v reluctant to ally with small fry. Just have to hope for a few decades of being too small to worry about. And I like to keep an eye on the elephant at the far side of the room.

Bah, what threat could such a far off city pose?

The Chosen People

Part 5: The Reign of Simon I – Year 4

That mad prophet was nothing if not persistent – he was back in the market in the new year, still predicting doom for our sins, but this time talking about these mysterious “Romans” attacking the just as mysterious “Samnites”. It is all very strange, even if it seems to have no effect on the general populace.

Ptolemaios I Soter is doing well in his war against the Antigonids, if one can call it a war. As far as we can tell, no a single Antigonid army has taken the field against the Egyptians. The forward Egyptian forces are to our north, where they have taken possession of much of southern Phoenecia and Galilee. Another army is moving along the coast to reinforce them – the 1st Cyrenaica Army, led by Peneus Djehed. Only two thousand men, but together with the troops ahead of them, Ptolemaios has a total of 17,000 men. Are the Antagonids prepared to let the Egyptians have their southern provinces without a fight?

Whatever the Antigonids are planning, Simon has decided that we must ingratiate ourselves with the Egyptians. Although he has long held that our surplus cloth is too valuable to sell, he has allowed a deal to be made with Kikyratia. The extra income will be used to pay to influence various Egyptian officials to look more favourably on Judea. Perhaps at some time in the future an alliance may be possible. Another source of income became available as our increase in population meant a new trade route could be maintained. Fish from Libya will keep the free men happy, and add a little to the Treasury.

Egyptian fishing.jpg

We know how the Egyptians fish – can the Libyans be much different?​

Simon, for reasons he did not disclose to me, took the wandering prophet seriously. He had told me to keep an ear out for news of this far-off Rome, and I know better than to ignore the king’s “requests”, no matter how foolish I think they are. So although the prophet has been gone for months, I did let him know that some traders reported that these Romans were at war with another of their neighbours – the Umbrians. Greek travellers said that the Romans were now considered a regional power, posing a threat to Greek colonies in the far west.

The Palace was unusually quiet. The internal feuds seemed to have petered out, and most of the court seems content with life. Eleazar has had enough of gambling, which was a relief to me. It is true that the Shohmer, Samuel Maiman, is trying to provoke the king, but he has no power to challenge Simon. The Kahen, Jacob Hyrcanus is showing a bit too much interest in one of his wife’s female relatives, especially for someone who is supposed to by our high priest. The Rophet is investing in opportunities, but that does not concern anyone much, as long as he fulfils his medical duties.

More news on the Rome situation. The Greeks were right to be concerned about their colonies. The latest is that the Romans have attacked the city of Sipontum, and are likely to take it easily. They seem obsessed by war. Thank the lord they are so far away from us.

More important to Judea was the announcement by Dhamar’ali I Rashid, Suffete of Nabatea. He claims to have crushed the barbarian hordes of Lihya. Nabatea now extends more than a hundred parasangs down the Sinus Arabicus. Critically, the Nabatean army is free of commitments. Our spies have been able to fabricate a claim to the province of Peraea, but Simon is in no hurry to use it as an excuse to declare war. We must be patient. We need more men, more money, more skill. All will take time, but exporting some livestock to Praesos will generate some additional funds at least.

Nabatea.jpg

Greater Nabatea: are we going to be strong enough to take some of its territory?​

So ended the 4th year of the reign of Simon I. He puts on an outward show of content, but I suspect that inwardly he is annoyed that he has as yet not created a legacy, a more powerful Judea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nabatea looks like a threat to Judea.

Rome seems to be doing well. Of course, the Diadochi will be a threat to them, as will Carthage. Judea has time.

Are the Antigonids at war with anyone besides Egypt?