Stellaris Dev Diary #401 - An Ode to Mercedes Romero

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrFreake_PDX

Lt. General
Community Ambassador
10 Badges
Feb 20, 2020
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
EventSpotlight.png

written by the Stellaris Devs

Hi all! Happy April Fools!

This surprise and totally fake unexpected dev diary will be showcasing some new UI, gameplay and Quality of Life improvements that we here on the Stellaris team are really excited about. We’ve gone over Stellaris with a fine-tooth comb and picked out some key improvements that we think you’ll be thrilled to learn about!

Starting off, Xeno-Compatibility has been a hit beyond our wildest dreams. In the spirit of proper UI housecleaning, we have removed the ability to toggle it on or off, since our data shows that the [off] toggle has never been used a single time. Removing this vestigial icon will save precious pixels on those with smaller resolution screens.

Expanding on Xeno-Compatibility, we have now decided to allow even further degrees of cross-species hybridization. Players can now create hybrids with 1/4th and even 1/8th genetic splices of other species! To account for this exponential increase in variance, we have shored up the UI to have several robust features.

PopRework1.jpg

Players can now enjoy nested tabs within the planetary demographics panel, as well as an astounding 5 new demographic colors (Dull Diamond, Daffodil 2, Green-er, Blue but Not, and Darker Dark Grey).

To support the increased complexity, we have also implemented a brand new feature we are extremely proud of!

PopRework2.jpg

When moving the cursor into the demographics screen, your cursor will now shrink by 400% as well as slowing by a considerable amount. This will allow you the accuracy and precision you need to manage your empire!

Another big update coming is the ability for end game crisis’ to join the galactic community. We have long wanted to give these fascinating societies a bigger voice and a platform to share their voice and unique perspectives.

PreythorianCouncil.jpg

Above is a working prototype of the Preythoryn Scourge joyously receiving the invitation to be a part of the greater galactic community. Be sure to watch out for the Unbidden and their energy tariffs!

A great point brought up in a recent meeting was the inconsistency in the Outliner of Civilian Ships, and Military Fleets. To fix this, we have decided to only display individual ships for both categories. This will let you create a stronger and more personal connection with your military vessels. To minimize creating any more clutter in the Outliner, we have capped the maximum number of ships that can be listed at 6, but provided a handy scrollbar for your larger military adventures!

ShipOutliner.jpg

Some smaller but no less important changes we are making also include:

• Notifications will now auto-collapse into a single stack, clicking on this will expand the stack in a grid pattern to cover your entire screen. While this may cause momentary discomfort it will allow you to select the very specific notification you want much more easily!
  • Similarly, event pop-ups now no longer have that clunky [x] button; instead events will automatically dismiss in 60 real-time seconds regardless of if a decision has been made. We think this will increase the tempo of the mid-game and create a fun but frenetic multiplayer environment.
  • Authoritarian ethics renamed to Collectivist
  • Egalitarian ethics renamed to Individualist
  • Rebels now have 4x starting fleet size since we realized space piracy is more popular than we previously estimated.
  • Due to instability in some parts of the code base as a result of the above updates, we have limited the amount of mods you can have active at any given time to 1.
  • To reduce notification spam, we have tripled the cooldown for all galactic community events.

That’s all for now, stay tuned for next week where we'll actually have a real dev diary for you, with actual news! Happy April Fools!

• 75Haha
  • 8Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
Expanding on Xeno-Compatibility, we have now decided to allow even further degrees of cross-species hybridization. Players can now create hybrids with 1/4th and even 1/8th genetic splices of other species! To account for this exponential increase in variance, we have shored up the UI to have several robust features.

PopRework1.jpg
Showing subspecies as branches under the main species is actually a good idea.

• 5Like
Reactions:
The most funny thing in this Dev Diary is that lot of those features can actually be really interesting...
Like more accuracy of sliders in species tab menu, but not because of slower cursor, but becasue slider box would really work better.
Slider for ships, planets and everything else in the outliner. Its frustrating that i have to close whole planet window do go to civilian ships and give orders for my science ships, this slider would really help with that, and cap for only few plantes would also be nice.
Crisis in gc is maybe not as good, but more interaction with them... devouring swarm being able to be vassalized by prethoryn and help eating galaxy?
Even xeno-compatibility. Right, people do not use on/off button in galaxy settings. Players turned it off and forgot that they can turn it on again... And yes, this button should dissapear, but with proper changes to xeno-compatibility (and genetics!) at the same time.

Overall... great dev diary :D

Reactions:
devouring swarm being able to be vassalized by prethoryn and help eating galaxy?
I always thought it'd be cool if a Determined Exterminator could join the Contingency in eradicating all sapient organic life.

It could work like Satrapy, where submitting yourself to the Contingency imposes a resource and naval cap tax and puts a Contingency station over your capital, which produces extra Contingency fleets.

Doing so could even automatically declare total war on all of galaxy (except other Determined Exterminators who joined the Contingency), which lasts for as long as you remain the Contingency's subject (which is until you or the Contingency is defeated, or either you or the Contingency breaks off the agreement)

Breaking off the agreement ends the total war with the rest of the galaxy and turns the Contingency hostile again. And like with the Great Khan, you cannot submit to the Contingency again after breaking off the agreement.

Then if the Contingency and its subjects control more than 60% of the galaxy, it terminates the agreement, becoming hostile to its former subjects.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
That thing about Crises in the GalCom actually sound like it could be a lot of fun for the Contingency. Allow it to hack its way in and jam the GalCom with unique proposals that outlaw all kinds of things and puts everybody in breach of galactic law if not veto-ed or voted down, to make the galaxy fall apart from within.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That thing about Crises in the GalCom actually sound like it could be a lot of fun for the Contingency. Allow it to hack its way in and jam the GalCom with unique proposals that outlaw all kinds of things and puts everybody in breach of galactic law if not veto-ed or voted down, to make the galaxy fall apart from within.
contigency could do that. propose a resolution, pretending it was some already existing empire so that everyone thinks that its actually their proposal. Then it turnes out synths taken that empire over and pretend in galaxy.

What's interesting is that few years ago we had a dev diary on the first of April about origins, where one of them was an origin where you start as primitive civilization... This diary should be taken more seriously...
exactly xD

I guess the Pie Chart Colour crisis is now averted :=)

Until the next time anyway.

can we pls return warp and wormhole stations too? ;)
"Shroud Tunnels" should just be wormhole stations.

And you should actually be able to remove the wormhole by dismantling the starbase module. And you should be able to build multiple, maybe up to 2 or 3. Sort of an early game alternative to gateways.

Or maybe I just want too much convenience at the expense of game balance again.

But I still feel that the Shroud theme for what is basically just an artificial wormhole is a bit out of left field.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Can we see a look on machine empire balance, specially gestalt? As discussed in a recent thread. Review the -40 stability malus for amalgamation. Possibly other machine pop values as well.

Reactions:
Once more the Custodian team provides features I didn't even know I wanted! Thanks guys!

A little sad about that one-mod limit, but I think I'll just copy-paste every line of code of every mod I use into a single file. That should work fine. Am I not right modders?

• 6Haha
Reactions: