• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This mod does something similar: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2052636859

Basically it adds new ethics to reflect religious beliefs, but "categorizes" them by playing with the ethic points system: all the basic ethics cost 2 points and the religion ethics cost 1, but you start with 7 to spend, meaning you will always end up with a spare ethic point to define the empire's religious outlook.
That's pretty good, I'll look into that.

Wiki (from console dump) says that every_country and random_country are equivalent effects as they iterate through all empires within their limits, and scope to them.

So, is it true that there is no difference between those two country-scoped effects?

Wiki (from console dump) says that every_country and random_country are equivalent effects as they iterate through all empires within their limits, and scope to them.

So, is it true that there is no difference between those two country-scoped effects?

Random country scopes to an arbitrary Planet that fits the limit. Every Country iterates through all that fit the limit.

Hi all. Can anyone help me find where the starting ships (corvette x3, science, constructor) are defined?

edit:

nvm, found it. If anyone else is looking for it, it's in gamedir>events>game_start.txt

Another question, is there a way to make a fleet take the name of the lead ship automatically?

Last edited:
HI, I have a question about defined_text, only use in scripted_loc scripts.
In dynamic modding, a scripted loc allows to access to a a bit of text (that corresponds a localization key) depending of triggers, and it is called through a "retriever" such as "[Scope.GetXXX]". (I don't know if "Get" is mandatory here)
Code:
#trigger -> determines if a text entry will be picked or not.
# (The triggers need to be valid for the scope the key is called in
# (eg Root or From.From).)

defined_text = {
    name = GetXXX
    text = {
        trigger = {
            (...)
        }
        localization_key = id_key
    }
    text = { (...) }
    text = { (...) }
}
For what I can see, triggers are always both mutually exclusive and exhaustive if you compare them between each text block for the same defined_text, such as GetAuthorityName, GetScientist, or GetEdibleName, and Wiki doesn't tell more about it.
That is, I don't know if text blocks have any implicit "BREAK" command built-in in case conditions match (first one to match defines the key), or if they are all tested and key is defined by last ever matching text block (as in a SWITCH in C).

I intent to use scripted loc extensively, and I would like to know if there's a mean to have one of the text blocks used as a default if any other

Code:
defined_text = {
    name = GetXXX
    text = { (...) }
    text = { (...) }
    text = { (...) }
    default_text = { localization_key = id_key }
}
Or default_text could be a text block with an always triggered trigger block?

Hi, I'm trying to create a new patient job for a disease mod but I'm unsure how to create a timer for how long a pop has been in the job. I was hoping to have the pop become uninfected after say 1 year but I'm not sure how to do this, does anyone know how I might?

Hi, I'm trying to create a new patient job for a disease mod but I'm unsure how to create a timer for how long a pop has been in the job. I was hoping to have the pop become uninfected after say 1 year but I'm not sure how to do this, does anyone know how I might?

Probably the easiest would be to define a modifier to apply to selected pop when they get infected. When you use add_modifier you can assign a days = <count>. The modifier expires and is removed at that time.

Reactions:
Probably the easiest would be to define a modifier to apply to selected pop when they get infected. When you use add_modifier you can assign a days = <count>. The modifier expires and is removed at that time.
Thanks a heap for the help. I'm still a little stuck to be honest though. I wasn't sure how to apply modifiers with jobs so I tried doing it with pop flags, which works perfectly for events, but sadly I couldn't find a way to trigger this when a pop is being hired as a patient

Never would have thought of that although it makes sense!

Follow up, short of killing a ruler, is there any command to "remove them from office" so to speak? What I'm ultimately trying to do is an event that makes a ruler defect to a new country. Thinking about it there may already be events that do something like that?

Edit: Is this what "exile_leader_as" is for?

Last edited:
Looking at creating a game rule to prevent non-machine pops from settling a machine world variant. Do I have to overwrite the current "species_can_live_on_planet" game rule? The entry only defines when it returns true, not what happens when it doesn't. Is this hard-coded into the game or can I create my own separate, non-conflicting rule for my own planets?

Am I able to modify how solar systems are generated other than just changing stuff in solar_system_initializers?

Basically I want to make solar systems make a bit more sense, and the more I look into it the more it seems the easiest way would be to rewrite whatever code is parsing at least the systems with "usage = misc_system_init", but from the modding guides and google I haven't been able to find anything on this.

If it isn't possible I could just write a python script that generates an enormous system initializer file to replace misc_system_initializers.txt (and overwrite that one to remove those systems) with all the possible systems hardcoded, but I don't know how well the game would handle such a file, so any knowledge of that would be appreciated.

Another question is how would I add another number to planets that affects habitability?
For example if I wanted all planets to have an atmosphere from 0-5, and each species to have a preferred number, with default habitability for planets with the same atmosphere as they prefer, -20% if the difference is 1, and otherwise set habitability to 0.

Not really sure where to look for either of these things.

Did you look at mods that add new planetary types (e.g. Planetary Diversity, Real Space)?
Such mods also replace solar system initializers (e.g. to have a more realistic Sol system, or another Sol sector).
They also use modded version of defines.txt to change some NGraphics parameters (basically relative scales).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Did you look at mods that add new planetary types (e.g. Planetary Diversity, Real Space)?
Such mods also replace solar system initializers (e.g. to have a more realistic Sol system, or another Sol sector).
They also use modded version of defines.txt to change some NGraphics parameters (basically relative scales).

I have now, at least planetary diversity. It seems to just hardcode them all (or at least the companion mod for planetary diversity habitability), so I guess its time to refresh my python skills for that as well. Will probably look into it a bit more, but at least for now I think I have a way that should work.

Thanks for the pointer.

Couldn't figure out if real space is anywhere other than steam (I don't play on steam), so haven't managed to look at it.

Also tested how many system initializers I could add and while it seems to never cause the galaxy generation to slow down if I went much over 220k intializers it would cause the game to crash when I tried to generate the galaxy, so will have to be careful about that

Edit: Another question, how do I change background in system view? beautiful galaxy doesn't seem to work anymore and gorgeous galaxy I can't find to download anywhere other than steam to see how it works. I tried overwriting star_a_class.txt with a copy of star_black_hole.txt (renamed to star_a_class.txt) (in gfx\worldgfx) and change "world = black_hole" to "world = a_star" but that doesn't work (background of class A stars is still blue)

Edit again: I messed around and ended up in the same position as before and it worked this time, no idea why though

Last edited:
If you can read Russian, Real Space has a dedicated site. The link should be on Steam Workshop.
System backgrounds are also changed by another mod (besides Real Space): Beautiful/RealisiticUniverse suite, iirc.
I don't have the game at home currently, so I can't help you by peering at my mods folder.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you can read Russian, Real Space has a dedicated site. The link should be on Steam Workshop.
System backgrounds are also changed by another mod (besides Real Space): Beautiful/RealisiticUniverse suite, iirc.
I don't have the game at home currently, so I can't help you by peering at my mods folder.

Could not find a dedicated site, but I've downloaded a second version of stellaris since there is steam key associated with the account, not idea but it works.
was similar problem with the working version of beatuful universe, need to test that further later though since it seemed to start working without me doing anything differently

Now I've got a problem with the game crashing on startup if I have too many uninhabitable planets (adding ~90 including suns, if I remove the suns or some of the other uninhabitable planets I don't get the crash); since 90 seems way too small a number I figured I would look into crash logs and got this:

Application: Stellaris Plaza
Version: 7.2.*
Date/Time: 2020-07-31 18:05:08

Unhandled exception C0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0x00007FF620D06F3F

Stack Trace:
1 stellaris.exe (function-name not available) (+ 0)
2 stellaris.exe (function-name not available) (+ 0)
3 stellaris.exe (function-name not available) (+ 0)
4 stellaris.exe (function-name not available) (+ 0)
5 stellaris.exe (function-name not available) (+ 0)
6 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_writeSLE32 (+ 483826)
7 stellaris.exe PHYSFS_writeSLE32 (+ 133319)
8 KERNEL32.DLL BaseThreadInitThunk (+ 20)
9 ntdll.dll RtlUserThreadStart (+ 33)
10 ntdll.dll RtlUserThreadStart (+ 33)

Which unfortunately doesn't help me. From google it seems to be a problem that causes many things to crash for different reasons, and while I can make it work on my computer by severely limiting the amount of uninhabitable planet types (doesn't seem to be any problem with the >150 inhabitable (colonizable = yes) planet types I have right now though, and if I put colonizable=yes on all of my uninhabitable planet types it doesn't crash anymore), I'm not very confident that the problem isn't based somehow on the specs of my computer

anyone have any other knowledge of this or is there a bug tracker I am able to find? I found one person had a similar problem with a specific mod, am similar crash issues with different software, but nothing else useful for me)