• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The next dev diary will be postponed by some amount; don't expect it for at least another couple of weeks. March has been -- and will keep on being -- a busier month for me than I anticipated, which has resulted in me having less time to spend on modding and consequently less work getting done on the mod.

Additionally, Reaper's Due has turned out to have more "interesting" vanilla design decisions to deal with than expected. For example, did you know that a Kind, Just, and Temperate AI-controlled character is as likely to eat someone in seclusion as a Gluttonous, Arbitrary, Cruel, Lunatic, Cannibal is, both when it comes to getting the event to consider it and when it comes to picking the event option? Event weights and the AI acting in line with its traits were apparently not deemed important to consider, and this isn't the only instance of such things being overlooked in the RD files...

Reactions:
......did you know that a Kind, Just, and Temperate AI-controlled character is as likely to eat someone in seclusion as a Gluttonous, Arbitrary, Cruel, Lunatic, Cannibal is, both when it comes to getting the event to consider it and when it comes to picking the event option? Event weights and the AI acting in line with its traits were apparently not deemed important to consider, and this isn't the only instance of such things being overlooked in the RD files...
*Hahaha*

Interesting.
CK2/game development in a nutshell.

I wrote a first and longer frustation fueled post, but deleted it.
I'll leave this here as i can't delete this too.
Maybe they simple couldn't find a compromise in the office and thus ended with the 50/50.
Though then the modififers are worthless....
Sometimes chars are kind, just, but also gluttonous, but still the very opposites should be different.

Hmm....
Peace in the office on the back of product quality and the customers satisfaction.
The assumption required here is that they discussed these things in the first place.

In the end it might simply be down to lack of financing to get time to work on it (and bigger bugs and issues to fix and new DLCs to produce),
coupled with work pressure and a negative cyncial worldview and tired indifference.

Who knows.
Likely all of that to some degree.
Forum member @Whizzer of the Cleanslate project appears have a good idea of that, regarding the file content quality.

Thanks for the info.
QnFmnQV.gif

*Hahaha*

Interesting.
CK2/game development in a nutshell.

I wrote a first and longer frustation fueled post, but deleted it.
I'll leave this here as i can't delete this too.
Maybe they simple couldn't find a compromise in the office and thus ended with the 50/50.
Though then the modififers are worthless....
Sometimes chars are kind, just, but also gluttonous, but still the very opposites should be different.

Hmm....
Peace in the office on the back of product quality and the customers satisfaction.
The assumption required here is that they discussed these things in the first place.

In the end it might simply be down to lack of financing to get time to work on it (and bigger bugs and issues to fix and new DLCs to produce),
coupled with work pressure and a negative cyncial worldview and tired indifference.

Who knows.
Likely all of that to some degree.
Forum member Whizzer of the Cleanslate project appears have a good idea of that, regarding the file content quality.

Thanks for the info.
QnFmnQV.gif

On the one hand, I certainly understand that dev time is finite and that that might result in things being skipped due to other things needing to take precedence (I'm sure there are all kinds of bugs and balance issues that were caught internally and fixed), and it's also possible someone intended to do an AI logic pass after checking that the general implementation worked but forgot about it (been there, done that). I'm not chalking this one up to dev incompetence or malice, even though I think it's something that leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, it's discoveries like these that make me laugh whenever I see someone over in the CK3 forums claim that CK2 was a "flawless game" or that "just porting what's in CK2" would be sensible. CK2 has plenty of flaws that quickly become apparent once you start poking around in the files.

On the other hand, it's discoveries like these that make me laugh whenever I see someone over in the CK3 forums claim that CK2 was a "flawless game" or that "just porting what's in CK2" would be sensible. CK2 has plenty of flaws that quickly become apparent once you start poking around in the files.

It might be a blessing for CK3 that it's DLC output is so slow in comparison, but i surely can't say, as i don't participate in that Gammatesting...
Anyone who claims CK2 being flawless must have got the game after the patching period ended and not enough experience with it.

Regarding the bugs and balance issues, as mentioned i suppose it's a mix of reasons, but leaving the game in this state makes it a sad affair
to a degree. A "what could have been" if there had been a more focused effort and money put in, to refine its events and features.
Ah well, tiring to talk about the past without knowing the backgrounds and in the end without aim.
But interesting.
MfvvyDB.gif

In this context i should try the CleanSlate mod again.
After i finish my other latest campaign.

If only time wouldn't be finite.

Last edited:
A small but potentially impactful thing that's been implemented: Pagans can now get access to the Righteous Apothecary Society (and Court Alchemists) when reforming with HF if they pick the new "Appreciated Alchemists" Doctrine.

ck2_1.png

The AI will only consider picking this Doctrine if it has the Shenist, Muist, Thanist, Benzhuist, Kev Dab Qhuas, Moist, or Ryukyuan religion, and it won't rate this Doctrine much higher than other shared Doctrines (and nowhere close to as highly as it rates its unique Doctrines), but the player has no such restrictions, so if you want to do it as e.g. a Hellenic or an Aztec ruler there's nothing stopping you.

The RAS is still being implemented under the assumption that members are Taoists, however, so while the society's localisation won't explicitly say e.g. "All of us Taoists agree that alchemy is worth pursuing" if you are a non-Taoist the society might still have aspects that come across as weird if you aren't following the Taoist religion -- ans even more so if your religion is extremely different in general -- which is not something we'll be spending time addressing. We are also not going to be unlocking the society for anyone else by default; it is meant to be something that makes Taoists more unique, which wouldn't be the case if others had it by default (and spending a Doctrine slot on it means you'll lose out on something else, including the opportunity to pick up basically everything else Taoists have that Doctrines can unlock), and we've got some other ideas for unique societies for at least some of the Taoist-adjacent religions that we'll be implementing at some point down the line (not anytime soon) that should make those religions more attractive than they currently are while still allowing the Taoists to have their own unique niche.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hint @LumberKing king :
The opening post still only has the 14.0.0 version as attachement, instead of the 14.01 version

Just saying, No pressure. ;)
Thanks

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Hi, just a quick question. I am trying to use the early Aztecs mod for an earlier sunset invasion (for China), but ever since the shift to cleanslate, this doesn't seem to work. Any idea what would be the cause of this?

As a general rule of thumb, any big mod that changes large parts of vanilla should be assumed to not be compatible with any other mod that'd not entirely self-contained (and even then you might have issues) unless the mods specifically are designed with compatibility in mind. Both we and CleanSlate make massive changes to vanilla files, including to the SSI files and stuff those reference (e.g. the Aztec religion tags).

Reactions:
As a general rule of thumb, any big mod that changes large parts of vanilla should be assumed to not be compatible with any other mod that'd not entirely self-contained (and even then you might have issues) unless the mods specifically are designed with compatibility in mind. Both we and CleanSlate make massive changes to vanilla files, including to the SSI files and stuff those reference (e.g. the Aztec religion tags).
Thank you for the response, going through the mod, it is entirely self contained with no overwriting files. I think I'll have to manually check through.

Thank you for the response, going through the mod, it is entirely self contained with no overwriting files. I think I'll have to manually check through.

Even if the mod changes nothing found in vanilla it quite possibly references something from vanilla -- e.g. a CB, a title, a culture, a religion, or a province ID -- in which case it isn't self-contained since changing any of those things -- and all of those are examples of things CleanSlate (and therefore Tianxia) changes -- might change the mod's functionality.

does this mod have community discord where we can share our story and aars?

No, and I don't really see us getting one as moderating it would be a drain on dev time.

The next dev diary is still some time away, but work is progressing; there's just a good number of things that need to get done. Seeing as there are some minor things that have gotten done -- and might be a few more that get done soonish -- that aren't remotely related to the topic of the dev diary, I'll post about at least some of them between now and when the dev diary ends up getting posted.

Mingsplosions should be a bit better come 14.1.0, at the cost of count tier ConBu vassals (excepting the former EoC, if applicable and able to abdicate to an heir or continue as a successor state) and all indirect non-rel head vassals not getting to make a choice.

ck2_6.png

Aside from me triggering the takeover with some console commands and a war declaration, the above is all the AI's doing. A more normal takeover would likely be a bit less broken up as e.g. a faction war would hand out some opinion modifiers making it more likely people that backed the new EoC will stick with the real China.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Two more small changes, the first dealing with a wasted opportunity in vanilla and the second fixing something very silly:

To start with, unless there already is a Great Synagogue present in Jerusalem the "Build Third Temple" decision will in 14.1.0 creates a Third Temple Great Work in the province (a slightly cheaper, non-generic Great Synagogue), clearing out any other Great Work present in the process. Considering it's hard to pull off and that the Jewish religions have very little going for them, it feels warranted, and chances are you'll never see it without player intervention.

ck2_6.png

Secondly, continuing on the Jewish theme, seeing as the Kingdom of Israel de jure drifts all of the Kingdom of Jerusalem when created (an implementation present in vanilla), it will no longer permit de jure drift of its duchies (similar to Jerusalem) and will also have a very high Jewish GHW weight (it currently has the base weight of 1, as in vanilla).

An "interesting" vanilla implementation you might not know about, considering it is very unlikely to come up during normal gameplay: Christians and Muslims have crusade weights for the Duchy and County of Jerusalem on top of the weights they have for the Kingdom of Jerusalem -- and will thus be quite happy to go after those even after they are de jure drifted into Israel -- but the Jewish religion does not have any weights for the county or duchy, meaning that when the Jewish GHWs are unlocked -- which requires the recreation of the Kingdom of Israel (among other things), and thus removes the Kingdom of Jerusalem's de jure permanently -- they will happily avoid targeting Israel/Jerusalem with GHWs if those should be lost to a religious enemy unless they get lucky upon reaching the "Throw darts at the map" stage after securing other titles. Very silly, and fixed in 14.1.0!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dev diary 83: Reaper's Due adjustments (part 1)

Reaper's Due has turned out to be a bit messier than expected, so it has become prudent to split the relevant changes into multiple dev diaries. Below are some of the changes that currently have been made

The Dancing Plague:

Completely unchanged as of now, and fairly likely to stay that way (unlike various things not mentioned below); it is rare, at least subjectively funny, and fairly mild (a risk of One-Legged + Wuonded, as well as a temporary health penalty during the events). At most, I see myself doing very minor AI logic additions, but even that might not end up happening.

The End of Days:

The AI logic has been significantly overhauled (e.g. Kind/Just/Charitable characters are much less likely to support a councillor's "Take advantage of the worried peasants to make money" scheme than Cruel/Arbitrary/Greedy characters), there has been some restructuring (e.g. no more unnecessary letter from a poorly selected (it could select an imprisoned rival or someone at war with you...) worried character), and some sanity improvements have been made -- e.g. someone with a secret religion will no longer get to go with the "This is a punishment from [public religion's high god]!" option, and the "prophet" event will no longer select a courtier and randomly give them +22 raw stat points, +3 health, and some trait tweaks overnight -- to make things work better. The localisation also got a few tweaks, in particular some related to flawed vanilla assumptions regarding the gender or religion of characters.

Outbreak events:

Only the localisation has been changed, removing some assumptions about the world (e.g. the religion in specific places) when the Black Death comes to town. I don't think these events need any other changes, seeing as they're just narrative events with no effect.

Symptoms (and alchemical side-effects):

Assorted "You got a symptom!" events now have a smallish chance to give you a "The symptoms are getting worse" event and associated modifier on a small delay. This is partially to allow the RAS' potions' side-effect events to be less obvious (particularly when someone has been slipped a humiliating potion or a poison) and to let them give some ingredient-related penalties if you've already got symptoms.

ck2_8.png

(The loc tag will be fixed alongside assorted other modifier tags that still need loc, and the event picture is perhaps also changing (I didn't know the Byzantine group had that one for the "stressed ruler" picture...)).

Related to this, the side-effects for assorted alchemical potions (including those tested on a prisoner) have now been properly implemented. In addition to the short-term outcome -- and potentially even if the potion did something obviously good or bad -- you can now get a number of fun little side-effects ranging from getting rid of a hangover or a fever all the way to madness or an untraceable "natural" death.

Immortals beware; you can be poisoned in plots, so you can die from a very unhealthy potion (working immortality potions can never result in death due to side-effects, however, outside possibly being killed from a more temporary health penalty if you are drinking it in a slow fashion). Maybe don't go overboard on the aphrodisiacs and fertility potions unless you know they are safe.

Eternal Life:

Aside from some smallish localisation tweaks (such as making sure the localisation does not assume that you don't reshuffle councillors at any point during the event chain), the main things done here have been AI logic -- despite vanilla potentially allowing these events for the AI, it went with a 50/50, 33/33/33, or similar setup in a lot of places -- along with making councillors that are your rivals less likely to actually find a real mystic (because why would they want to do that?) and making the frauds better at Intrigue but harder to catch overall (e.g. no more +15 Learning for the non-fraud child). Oh, and courtiers investigating frauds will only truly catch them with sufficient Intrigue!

Maimed and torture events and prisoner maiming and torture (plus a few related things):

There are some smaller changes here. The AI logic has been improved (also the case for e.g. dragon burning or using the brazen bull) to make it a bit saner (e.g. it is now less likely to read poetry if doing so would release a prisoner it has a very good reason to not want to go free), the random "Do you want to torture a prisoner?" event from the base game has been disabled with RD (because it's better to have all of the torture work similarly), characters that have already lost an eye now can be fully blinded (for whatever reason, vanilla did not allow for that; was your character strangely merciful, your prison guards very firm, or what?), and nicknames are rarer and a bit saner (e.g. no more "Son/Daughter of [your] EvilGod" for torturing/maiming your religious enemies).

Additionally, prisoner maiming now tries to make the punishment fit the crime or to make it particularly cruel. Are you a fan of reading (Scholar/Erudite)? Would be a shame to lose your eyes, would it not? Are you a man that got caught cheating on the character doing the maiming, did you sleep with their wife/concubine, or are you a Seducer? Say goodbye to your "favourite toy"!

Prosperity events:

The main things that have been done here is making the opportunities you get a bit more fitting (e.g. MRs are more likely to get merchant harbours), to make stuff rarer/inaccessible (it depends) for tribals since their realms at their most prosperous still shouldn't be too fancy, some sanity tweaks (e.g. no more "Hey, this province needs a Centre of Worship!" if it has an active Grand Temple (any type) Great Work), some AI logic being added, and the addition of a few options (a Silk Road-related option and, with JD, access to the special JD modifiers).

Still on the list is making the modifiers go away/require upkeep after a while, because they don't as currently implemented, meaning that even if the province is burninated by a dragon or ravaged by nomads it keeps the modifiers (and Jewish settlements stick around even on religious conversion to a Jewish religion (and general RD minority religous communities, in general)...).

AI vassal meddling:

Vanilla does not allow the AI to ask/demand that its vassals end their wars (outside laws and Realm Peace), nor does it get to ask/demand that a vassal switches to Gavelkind, which gives the player an unfair advantage and which potentially makes things weird (e.g. the EoC's MoH hurting because he won't lift a finger if his vassals are fighting each other). This will change in Tianxia come 14.1.0; it has now been given access to those tools (using pulse events), and will attempt to use them when it makes sense (the AI logic is not completely done yet, but it'll e.g. be far more eager to meddle in a rival's wars than a friend's).

There is a related game rule with four options:

- Let the AI meddle in both specific internal wars and succession. Makes the playing field much more even. Generally the option we're likely to have in mind while doing further work, seeing as "Prevent internal warfare" and "Keep my vassals from having a lot of hereditary land going to the same heir" (historically more along the lines of "Don't allow any hereditary titles", but gameplay considerations for vassals -- and not having the player be a special exception -- take precedence here) would be pretty relevant to assorted bureaucracies in the Far East.

- Only let the AI meddle in specific internal wars. Useful if you don't ever want to risk being told you should switch to Gavelkind.

- Only let the AI meddle in succession. Useful if you don't want your internal wars meddled with.

- Don't let the AI meddle in specific internal wars or succession. Vanilla's implementation, in case you want neither of the above.

ck2_1.png

The Gavelkind-related stuff has also been changed; instead of only ever changing the primary title's succession law -- which doesn't necessarily make the vassal significantly weaker since the primary heir still could inherit a bunch -- the decision will now attempt to pick a secondary primary tier title (excluding rel head titles), making it more likely that the result (assuming the vassal isn't able and willing to refuse) will be "Secondary heirs inherit secondary titles" rather than "The primary heir still inherits the top titles, while the others maybe get a few counties".

Outside Reaper's Due, a number of smaller things (not just the ones shown in the teasers posted previously) have been done, but I'll only show two of them off here:

First off, province climate, being coastal, and the presence of some kind of winter now has an impact on disease resistance (numbers not final).

ck2_3.png

The above should make it so that some of the less hospitable parts of the map -- deserts and arctic provinces, to name a couple -- are less disease-prone than certain other places, while building your castle in a swamp remains a terrible idea even if it doesn't catch fire, fall over, and/or sink into the swamp.

Secondly, an extremely minor (just localisation) thing completely unrelated to diseases has been implemented for Enatic Clans Hellenics: They'll now pick a rather more fitting name for their holy order (the missing "the" was fixed after taking the screenshot).

ck2_5.png

That's all for today. The next Reaper's Due-related dev diary -- focusing on the seclusion event chain, which is getting a very significant overhaul because it has a lot of issues and it also happens to be something you're effectively forced to interact with quite a few times in any given playthrough (well, unless you want to risk your court dying due to epidemics...) -- isn't too far off (barring any surprises), considering it is decently far along, while the other remaining RD-related changes (concerning hospitals, "epidemic events", treatments, physicians, and "general flavour") most likely will have to wait until a third dev diary further down the line as the remaining RAS work is more important to get out of the way in the short term as that'll allow for us to do more proper internal playtesting of the society.

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: