• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey @Lord of Pain

Is it possible to have a version with flatmap at some point ???
I think that many people would appreciate it...

Cheers
It's already in the mod as an optional.

Just go to "...\mod\Historical Immersion Project\map\optional - flatmap" and copy those files over to "...\mod\Historical Immersion Project\map", replace when asked and voila.

Reactions:
Thanks for including all those optional files, by the way! When I accidentally discovered the high-saturation-low-transparency file while looking through the files, I was absolutely flabbergasted at how much more awesome the map looked!

I think you should include some kind of notice somewhere that these optional files exist, though--either in the HIP.exe installer or in this thread's OP. I found them entirely by accident, only because I was looking through the files for fun!

Reactions:

Just go to "...\mod\Historical Immersion Project\map\optional - flatmap" and copy those files over to "...\mod\Historical Immersion Project\map", replace when asked and voila.

You're really an asset for the Team and the Forums mate...

Cheers

Reactions:
I think you should include some kind of notice somewhere that these optional files exist, though--either in the HIP.exe installer or in this thread's OP. I found them entirely by accident, only because I was looking through the files for fun!
I second this. I only just found all the optional border files. So many lovely options!

In Historical Immersion Project/map/optional-flatmap you'll find the alternate topology and world height maps, just swap them out. The saturation-transparency options are in Historical Immersion Project/gfx/FX/alternate files; just pick the one you want, rename it to pdxmap.lua and swap it with the original in the folder above. Borders are in Historical Immersion Project/map/terrain/alternate border options; I know two color battlements was the default a few releases ago because it's in my screenies—the texture is nice. I haven't tried too many because it takes my computer so long to boot the game that it becomes tedious. (Again, you rename the file to match the default and swap them.) Straight black border5 is pretty intense, haven't tried the ones labelled "crazy." Here are a few for reference.
2-color battlemented borders:
ck2_16.png
high saturation - low transparency political map:
ck2_77.png
low saturation - high transparency political map:
ck2_78.png

EDIT:
Ok I went and looked at a few more, have some pics.
crazy multicolored borders:
ck2_79.png
old straight multicolored borders:
ck2_80.png
straight black borders, or Never Get Confused Glancing at Similarly Colored Neighbors Again (I think I really like it in conjunction with A Revolutionary Map Font):
ck2_81.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is it possible to use these amazing graohics also for the normal vanilla game (All dlc´s)? I can´t find a link ;)
The HIP installer contains an alternate LTM (LTM+vanilla) which is designed for those who are still using the vanilla map, so to just install that one: say no to everything in the installer except for LTM, easy peasy. As I've written before: The LTM variant for vanilla is a lite version, it basically includes shader edits, new river textures, new borders, and vanilla texture replacement, so that one doesn't expand or edit the terrain like you see with the LTM+SWMH screenshots.

Reactions:
Reactions:
@Lord of Pain
Hey buddy. Thanks for your update in the new HIP patch.
Just a quick question how compatible do you think your mod is with Gaea ???

Cheers.

@Lord of Pain
Hey buddy. Thanks for your update in the new HIP patch.
Just a quick question how compatible do you think your mod is with Gaea ???

Cheers.

The Gaea sub-mod is compatible with LTM, you can just install HIP as normal and run Gaea on top of it all. Gaea is also using LTM in its promotional screenshots, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be played with LTM turned on ? However, I must point out that because of how Gaea is built on another map, it doesn't manage to incorporate most cosmetic changes LTM manages to bring to SWMH, and it also might have some oddities here and there. Some of these differences are:
  • LTM uses small forests and compensates this in a different ways, but mostly by having a larger trees.bmp (i.e. more forests). Gaea however uses the vanilla sized trees.bmp, which makes LTM's small forests have more empty space between them. A quick and easy fix to this issue would be to increase Gaea's trees.bmp size to 512x341, however this could also cause some trees to appear on water in certain places and if it is an eyesore, then it would tediously need to be removed pixel-by-pixel.
  • LTM introduces more textures to localize different terrain on the map, like arid mountains in the middle-east. Gaea however uses the vanilla number of textures, so LTM's extra textures are not in use, which create the same visual issues as the vanilla has: the texture for the Alps are the same as mountains on the Arabian peninsula. Anyway, none of this creates any graphical issues and is completely fine, this just means that LTM's resources aren't fully utilized and there will be lack of terrain variation compared to LTM+SWMH. This would be a very long process to fix and you would basically need to repaint the Gaea terrain map.
  • LTM uses a custom colormap.dds and colormap_water.dds for colour correction in different areas around the map to create even more variation to terrain (ex. extra snow in Alps, "wetter" marsh areas, salt lakes in Turkey, etc.), and also adds depth contours to the map's lakes and seas. Gaea however uses its own files (due to it being a separate map) and thus these features from LTM are lost.
  • There's also much more stuff that is missing, but those are probably the biggest ones on top of my head.

@Lord of Pain
That's why I was eager to ask you first. Thanks for your detailed answer mate. ;)

Cheers

To my pleasant surprise, LTM for Vanilla is perfectly compatible with Achievements. Thanks a lot for all your hard work! A shame flatmap doesn't work on vanilla, but that's not a big deal.

@Lord of Pain, have you considered warning about the Optional files (flatmap, high/low transparency/saturation, borders etc) in the original post? Someone worked a good deal on all this and like others, I found these options completely by accident.

An installation guide (no matter how easy it is) should also be described, even if it's just "Install HIP.exe, then install just LTM".

Last edited:
To my pleasant surprise, LTM for Vanilla is perfectly compatible with Achievements. Thanks a lot for all your hard work! A shame flatmap doesn't work on vanilla, but that's not a big deal.

@Lord of Pain, have you considered warning about the Optional files (flatmap, high/low transparency/saturation, borders etc) in the original post? Someone worked a good deal on all this and like others, I found these options completely by accident.

An installation guide (no matter how easy it is) should also be described, even if it's just "Install HIP.exe, then install just LTM").

Thank you. :) And that "someone" would be me too :p

I have thought about rewriting the OP with more thorough descriptions, but I just have never gotten around to it on my busy schedule. Might update get to update in September though.

Thank you. :) And that "someone" would be me too :p

I have thought about rewriting the OP with more thorough descriptions, but I just have never gotten around to it on my busy schedule. Might update get to update in September though.

Do you have any plans for the next Major DLC compatibility update mate ?

Do you have any plans for the next Major DLC compatibility update mate ?
Unfortunately, unless an immediate need for a compatch pops-up then I won't be put any priority on an update for quite a while. I just have too much on my hands IRL right now, as I'm trying to juggle a full-time job, two side jobs, full-time university studies, a funeral, moving, sports, girlfriend etc. So A LOT of things on my plate keeping me very busy for the next few months. :/