• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As for gameplay considerations, how often in your test games has the AI King of Italy attacked the Pope for its de jure territory?

Would've sworn that there was specifically a protection against this in the de jure claim CBs, but I may have removed it later at some point.

Would've sworn that there was specifically a protection against this in the de jure claim CBs
Taking the County of Rome or the (entire) Duchy of Latium while it's held by the attacker's religious head is specifically forbidden, but the AI is free to enforce its claims on all of Latium except Rome piecemeal.

Taking the County of Rome or the (entire) Duchy of Latium while it's held by the attacker's religious head is specifically forbidden, but the AI is free to enforce its claims on all of Latium except Rome piecemeal.
Right, well, earlier this morning moments after your previous comment, I simply made it so that k_patrimonium_petri remains (and stays active) for Latium, so I think we've reached the correct setup choices.

Honestly, I'd prefer to not prevent the AI from pursuing de jure wars for Rome against the Pope if only there were an effective way to tell the AI to not do this very often unless their ai_zeal is abysmal and then let mechanics take care of the rest (e.g., other rulers step up to stop you, though must be same-liege if attacker is not independent and independent otherwise).

EDIT: But even with something for other rulers to defend the Pope, we wouldn't want Latium to be a constant battleground, and that's what we'd get right now without those CB restrictions.

Last edited:
I'm playing a game as the Normans in Sicily, and I was wondering if the Sicilian melting pot events were ever fixed?
From what I remember last time I checked, they were quite outdated and therefor didn't work at all (the searched for an Italian culture, which doesn't exist in SWMH, and therefor only converted a few Greek provinces, and no Langobardo and Sicilian-Arabic ones).

Saw some odd crusade behavior: Catholic crusade against a Cathar in Aquitaine was won be some Irish prince (is it just me or is it always some random Irish guy) and he chose the give to dynasty member option (I believe) and gave the new crusade kingdom to another Cathar! Could a same religion check/condition be added to that crusade outcome? Seems like questionably historical behavior (though weirder things happened) otherwise.

Could a same religion check/condition be added to that crusade outcome?
Such a condition already exists.

Maybe he already was secretly Cathar, or he got converted to Catharism shortly after he took the kingdom.

Attachments

• emf_crusades excerpt.txt
    10,3 KB · Views: 9
I'm playing a game as the Normans in Sicily, and I was wondering if the Sicilian melting pot events were ever fixed?
From what I remember last time I checked, they were quite outdated and therefor didn't work at all (the searched for an Italian culture, which doesn't exist in SWMH, and therefor only converted a few Greek provinces, and no Langobardo and Sicilian-Arabic ones).

It hasn't been fixed / rewritten yet. However, I've finally started up a personal game of CK2 -- finally trying William Iron-Arm in 1043 -- for the first time in a long time (too long by my standards for modders actually playing their mods, TBH), and since this is directly relevant to my personal game, I will probably write a new Sicilian melting pot along the way. Thanks for the reminder.

Such a condition already exists.

Maybe he already was secretly Cathar, or he got converted to Catharism shortly after he took the kingdom.
Ok good. Thanks for digging up the code for reference. I'd hoped that precaution was already there. It must have been secret option (yes I forgot to turn that off) because he was openly Cathar the day he took the throne.

Ok good. Thanks for digging up the code for reference. I'd hoped that precaution was already there. It must have been secret option (yes I forgot to turn that off) because he was openly Cathar the day he took the throne.
Y'know, the secret religion option is highly unlikely... were it due to a cult (as you mention the game rule), more than just he would've shown their true Cathar colors. I see a lot of people blame the secret religion feature of this game for so much stuff with which it probably had nothing to do. People do still convert semi-randomly to heresies, as always. Sometimes it happens fast, depending upon the rest of the game state around them. You did mention it was Aquitaine, and that is where our heresy code tends to "go heretic" with Cathar.

TBH, though, demanding gavelkind succession just seems totally implausible and probably very historically inaccurate interpreted directly. It's only if you're able to swallow disbelief and look it as some sort of "liege screwing with my succession" abstraction that it has any value, although I can see that value.
Have you looked at the other favor interactions? If you think that forcing a vassal to institute gavelkind is gamey, you may think the same of forcing a vassal to surrender in a war.
blah.png

Have you looked at the other favor interactions? If you think that forcing a vassal to institute gavelkind is gamey, you may think the same of forcing a vassal to surrender in a war.
Yeah, I'm aware of them. Those don't bother me as much. Favors have to be good for something, after all. OTOH, maybe simply forcing white peace via favor if the vassal has war_score >= 20 would be better than a surrender.

Option 1 of event emf_religion.2615 in emf_sainthood.txt (ruler who's pursuing sainthood abdicates) transfers the ruler's cash to his heir, but doesn't transfer his artifacts! Is this intended? (It seems a little odd that a new monk would take all his swords, scepters, and crowns with him to the monastery...)

If it is intended, maybe it would make more sense for the monk to bequeath all his artifacts to a local bishop (or to the head of the religion) rather than to the feudal ruler in whose court he's chosen to reside. (In my current game, the Iron Crown of Lombardy ended up in the hands of the Countess of Carcassonne!)

Also, abdication doesn't trigger emf_core.90, so tributaries are lost.

Last edited:
For the sake of additional flavour for the 1204 start, or alternatively a successful conquest of Byzantium through Robert Guiscard/Other Latin Invasion, would it be possible to have a Papal coronation decision akin to the HRE's for the Latin Empire?

For the sake of additional flavour for the 1204 start, or alternatively a successful conquest of Byzantium through Robert Guiscard/Other Latin Invasion, would it be possible to have a Papal coronation decision akin to the HRE's for the Latin Empire?
Except latin emperors weren't generally crowned by the pope, except Peter of Courtenay who stopped by Rome on his way from France for the extra prestige as it were. Whereas the HRE had a special, somewhat mutually dependent, and long lasting complex relationship with the papacy, which is why the papal coronation mattered in the first place.

Except latin emperors weren't generally crowned by the pope, except Peter of Courtenay who stopped by Rome on his way from France for the extra prestige as it were. Whereas the HRE had a special, somewhat mutually dependent, and long lasting complex relationship with the papacy, which is why the papal coronation mattered in the first place.

The point of the suggestion was for alternative Latin Empires as well, where such a convention would be more believable. Guiscard's equally complex and dependent relationship with the papacy would reflect this just as easily. It seems like it would simulate more flavour, especially since the very dynamic Basilieus modifier ceases to exist for the Latin Empire.

The point of the suggestion was for alternative Latin Empires as well, where such a convention would be more believable. Guiscard's equally complex and dependent relationship with the papacy would reflect this just as easily. It seems like it would simulate more flavour, especially since the very dynamic Basilieus modifier ceases to exist for the Latin Empire.
And it's a cool exercise in historical "what if," but because it's entirely a "what if" it falls into that difficult grey area when it comes to inclusion in this mod, imo. My read on Guiscard, for instance, is that if he got the empire he would've done what he always did with the papacy, alternate browbeating and kowtowing to get what he wanted. Likely would've tried to revive the preeminence contest between a latin patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope as a way of furthering his independence and caused a schism along the way. Point is, we just can't say and I don't like copy-pasted flavor, it tends to lose its taste out of context.

I get that the Latin Empire is alluring, but that's mostly because it's a big ol' might-have-been. Maybe someone with a deeper background can offer something unique for it?

And it's a cool exercise in historical "what if," but because it's entirely a "what if" it falls into that difficult grey area when it comes to inclusion in this mod, imo. My read on Guiscard, for instance, is that if he got the empire he would've done what he always did with the papacy, alternate browbeating and kowtowing to get what he wanted. Likely would've tried to revive the preeminence contest between a latin patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope as a way of furthering his independence and caused a schism along the way. Point is, we just can't say and I don't like copy-pasted flavor, it tends to lose its taste out of context.

I get that the Latin Empire is alluring, but that's mostly because it's a big ol' might-have-been. Maybe someone with a deeper background can offer something unique for it?

That's fair enough. I can't say it'd be a plausible inclusion without much suspension of disbelief, or at least an unhealthy stretch under those criteria.

Hi!

First of all, I absolutely love this mod and HIP in general, it's an incredible addition to the game.

I have a question about taxation during warfare - whenever I am at war, whether levies are raised or not, Feudal and Church taxation drop to zero (City taxes tend to remain). Is this intended? I can't find mention of it in the changelog or other documentation.

Thanks!

Hi!

First of all, I absolutely love this mod and HIP in general, it's an incredible addition to the game.

I have a question about taxation during warfare - whenever I am at war, whether levies are raised or not, Feudal and Church taxation drop to zero (City taxes tend to remain). Is this intended? I can't find mention of it in the changelog or other documentation.

Thanks!
If you're a primary participant in a war, and you have at least one army somewhere not on friendly soil, you'll get a temporary malus to how much your vassals pay in taxes until the end of the war. This was a [admittedly stopgap] measure to increase the cost / risk / challenge of war, as so fervently requested on these forums in the past.

It is merely a negative offset to your other laws which affect vassal taxation (i.e., the Obligations & Focus sliders for all 4 vassal classes-- feudal, republican, theocratic, and tribal), so if they're already not paying you much in taxes (i.e., feudal is the case here by default, since they pay jack in taxes at the default setting and still not all that much ever-- cities yield lots of tax both by default law settings and by design, so they'll tend to keep paying something, in contrast), you won't get anything from them when in such a personal war.

To counteract this, any of these would help:
- stockpile cash more carefully before undertaking a war
- establish better demesne income
- increase vassal obligations
- trade-off less levies for more taxes (vassal focus laws)
- business focus
- friendly prosperity faction
- lower Imperial Decay (if relevant)

I appreciate the effect quite a bit, myself, although I hope to be able to make war more risky in more clever ways in the future with the advent of some new scripting features.