• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ALLY with the Greek states, upgrade your trade in Iron/Horse provinces and trade to the more powerful of them. Wait for the Sel's to be at war and pounce on Illy, not nec to destroy them but def to cripple them. Encirclement would be good depending on which is their capital province. I'm still very much against the fleet idea, in fact...I could see a CIVIL WAR if we went that direction...i'm just saying, the land party is strong!

Amy idea what Illyria's national ideas are? As for Cbs on Illyria, at least Paeonia, recently acquired by Ptolemy is likely to be an Illyrian core. They will come calling. The question is whhether youcan have the Greeks in the dsouth come to your aid. Crete and Rhodes ought to have fleets that will assist in blockading Illyria (if it's been coded right). Armenia looks quite capable of taking Seleucia down, unfortunately it pretty much hates Macedonia, too.

King said:
Ok I did quick fleet scouting mission. I can 6 cohorts on the border and none on the coast. There is one province I can not see from either the border or the coast so there may be more troops hiding in the interior. Also Illyria has access to both Iron and Horses, which means that its army should be of a much higher quality than the Greek states to the South.

Edit: I'll delay starting todays update for a bit, while you consider this information.

If you have a chance to win you should take over Illyria. If you get their resources Macedonia will have a good position for further conquests. But if Macedonia is not strong enough to defeat Illyria now, it will become overwhelmed by other expanding powers soon.

Stay the consolidation, fleet creation course. Without a CB, fighting Illyria will undermine Ptolemy. Wait for a good moment to strike. Don't be hasty, better to build up yourself and strike hard, when the opportunity arises.

Nice update. It seems Rome has a lot of juice... :cool:

Well it looks like Illyria is next. I'll try and get some tribute out of the Greeks states to the South and maybe build a ship or 2.

What is the difference between EU3 vassalation and EUR tribute?
I really hope the word "lifetime" in the message means the current ruler, not the whole game. One of the biggest problems in EU3 is vassals never brake free and everyone does this in multiplayer a lot because there is no badboy for doing this, but the state is secured for your later annexation and will fight for you.

Got a few questions:

1) You mentioned that it will take a generation for your manpower to recover. So you are saying that its going to take roughly 25yrs before you are at full manpower?

2) Is there any way for you to help one of Rome's or Seleucid's generals/governors to create a bit of trouble or convince them too? If it is possible and you have a good chance of being successful w/o detection then I would do so. If you have a good likelihood of being caught then its not worth risking Roman or Seleucid ire.

3) Is there any way for your to diplomatically annex a nation? If there is then I would attempt to do so to the Greek city states. Its nice to get a little money but even nicer to get the whole package. :)

I would work on getting my economy humming. Build some buildings to help out with both the economy and give us a culture boost. Establish a few more trade routes. Colonize a bit more or speed up colonization if possible.

If the chance arises finish off Illyria. They could still cause some mischief if we are occupied elsewhere and they may be a tempting snack to Rome after they are done sticking it to Carthage.

Good.
Ptolemy has followed the council of the sages (at least the majority of them) and has reduced the Illyrian thread for this generation.
Let's hope Rome will still busy for while with Carthage. But attacking Rome or the Seleucids would still be very unwise. I would suggest to build up the economy and scientific research, to build up a fleet and to colonize in the North if possible. Would it be possible to "convince" the two other Greek states to pay tribute?
The next military target might be Rhodes, but I don't know about their alliances and their military and naval strength.
So, wait a while, consolidate and then go for Rhodes.

richtern said:
1) You mentioned that it will take a generation for your manpower to recover. So you are saying that its going to take roughly 25yrs before you are at full manpower?

Only 20 years, but that's still almost a generation

What you mean? :) it IS slightly more than a generation.

Great update. I wonder if marriage between heiress and someone else is possible by choice or will be it be auto?

Cheers

Sappy.

Another great piece, King!
Once in a lifetime opportunity indeed :D

As for Illyria, i'm not toally convinced. You gained one of their cores and 2 colonies, so it is weakened, but the losses are not that great.

But great going so far. More tributary states in the south and more expansion to the north once your colonies reach enough civ and pop levels. And more breeding, we need these babies! :D

And i still think Illyria should be destroyed. But not in the next update!

Nice war. But also - ouch!! All those casualties! Might turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory (no... wait.... hmmm....).

You clearly can't afford any major wars. You need to worry about the security of your northern frontier from the Barbarians, but your heavy infantry ought to mean that's not a problem. So it's back to diplomacy.

I would try to consolidate the southern Greek states a bit more and get a bit more tribute to expand your power bloc.

What are your relations with Rhodes, Crete, and Thrace? They are all looking like useful buffers between you and the Seleucids. In the long term, taking them out is probably a mistake with the Seleucids as strong as they are.

I suggest further colonisation northwards is probably the best way of gaining territory over the next generation or so.

Obviously you want to drag the Punic Wars out as long as possible - is there any way you can aid the Carthaginians on the sly?

Given the manpower situation I vote for consolidation as well. Colonize if you have the ressources otherwise build on your economy and manpower.

Why is everyone voting for a navy? :wacko: There seems to be plenty of oppurtunity for land based expansion. Aren't navies expensive? If they are it is better to focus on the economy.

Pro said:
Only 20 years, but that's still almost a generation

I suppose it is intended to slow down expansion by a little manpower growth.
But aren’t the playable nations a little bit too vulnerable if hordes of barbarians attack regularly?