Launching the new launcher! (Coming with 1.29 Manchu)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, I've achieved the CTD stage of modding, which is actually progress. What seems to be the case is that the syntax telling the game to ignore certain vanilla folders has changed, meaning that those folders are no longer ignored, which in the case of my mod results in a crash. What should I replace these with:

replace_path="common/client_states"
replace_path="common/bookmarks"
replace_path="common/colonial_regions"
replace_path="common/countries"
replace_path="common/country_tags"
replace_path="common/disasters"
replace_path="common/estates"
replace_path="common/factions"
replace_path="common/government_reforms"
replace_path="common/great_projects"
replace_path="common/natives"
replace_path="common/on_actions"
replace_path="common/province_names"
replace_path="common/trade_companies"
replace_path="common/tradenodes"
replace_path="common/triggered_modifiers"

I know that my mod is loading but also that vanilla things are loading that shouldn't be loading because error.log has these lines:

[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file BPI.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file ENA.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file FIN.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file LUX.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file MAM.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file MFL.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file NED.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file OKA.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file ORM.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file ROM.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file RVA.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file TUR.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag
[dynamic_province_names.cpp:42]: Province name file brazilian.txt matches neither culture, culturegroup nor countrytag

EDIT: I'm basically certain that this is the reason for the crashes now. replace_path no longer works. Some other modders I know are having the exact same problem, and it's causing crashes for mods which rely on replacing large amounts of vanilla content.

The last lines of the error log are:

[trigger.cpp:531]: Unknown trigger-type northern_greece_area in missions/Aragonese_Missions.txt line : 220
[persistent.cpp:52]: Error: "Unexpected token: northern_greece_area, near line: 220
" in file: "missions/Aragonese_Missions.txt" near line: 223
[trigger.cpp:531]: Unknown trigger-type BOH in missions/Austrian_Missions.txt line : 37
[persistent.cpp:52]: Error: "Unexpected token: BOH, near line: 37
" in file: "missions/Austrian_Missions.txt" near line: 40

But those missions shouldn't even be loading because I have a line saying replace_path="missions"

Another EDIT: So, it turns out that replace_path only fails to work when using absolute path for the mod's location. This still needs fixing, please.

Last edited:
When I download a mod, it doesn't show up in the mod folder. My only two hours free time before sleep and work is ruined again

Edit : don't know what I've done but they show up now, the problem is, I have no time to play the game anymore lol

Last edited:
I dislike how listed items are always shown with a thumbnail. Implement proper desktop listing, sort and search filters. Why o why would anyone want to scroll multiple pages to browse the 100 dlc items.

A big issue I've noticed with the launcher is, when you exit the game, Steam still thinks you're playing, thus it shows as EU4 still running. That's an issue that needs prompt patching. I'm not really a fan of the rollout of this new launcher, to be quite fair.

A big issue I've noticed with the launcher is, when you exit the game, Steam still thinks you're playing, thus it shows as EU4 still running. That's an issue that needs prompt patching. I'm not really a fan of the rollout of this new launcher, to be quite fair.
I haven´t seen a single person who said something positive about launcher in this thread.

I am sincerely sorry, but what is this launcher, it looks and operates like a discount Total War launcher, and I actually managed to use that one successfully, hadnt had the need to switch to the custom one for TW.
But this one looks like it wants you to manage your EU4 game settings on your mobile phone. Why is there so much scrolling instead of tabs? why aren't there tabs, the previous launcher was perfect to use for me. In CK2 I could perfectly see what DLC / Content Packs I had and hadn't bought. This new one needs a spreadsheet.
Also too much scrolling!!!

Edit: Super excited for the new free goodies tho!

Another EDIT: So, it turns out that replace_path only fails to work when using absolute path for the mod's location. This still needs fixing, please.
Can you try putting all replace_path entries into your descriptor.mod (The one inside the mod folder)? They may not work in the one with the absolute path.

FYI for anyone interested, rolling back to 1.28 also rolled back the launcher. I had to unsubscribe from all my mods, delete local mods, roll back, resubscribe and now it all works fine in the 1.28 avatar. I will never leave you again, classic tabbed launcher!

I am really desappointed by the new launcher. I have lost my Byzantium Iron Man (i Don't know how to come back easily to 1.28.4 so i can not have the IronMod on my old save from… yesterday. Plus, letters are extremely small (it wasn't the case before) and i am unable to read them now. To me, it's impossible to play now. I was so thrilled with the idea of playing mandchuria and it is like a cold shower for me.

Just another comment about launcher on Linux:
- When started via Steam, it does crash, while leaving a bunch of dead processes
- Launching directly via "/~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Europa\ Universalis\ IV/dowser" works. Can start the game, manage DLCs/mods, etc.

Hope this helps to others struggling. If needed, I can share details of my computer and dead launcher processes.

By the way, the only way i have found to have a bigger text was to go in the files of EU4. It now looks shitty and pixelised while I had a good visual previously. And more and more starting to question about the utility of this new launcher. I Don't know if it is linked, but it wasn't like this before.