• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ôm namô Parabrahmane namaha
Thou Transcendant One, Praise be to Thee!

One of the 108 common names of Lord Skanda Kumara

senani.jpg

Cat

PS: Amazing what you found google-ing:
http://murugan.org

Damn,

flapiflops returns 0 result in Google !

Makes it hard to research for "Transcendant One flapiflops" !

Cat

OK,

another try:

the_transcendent_one.jpg

This is the Transcendent one coming from another plane !

Hey ! We don't know if he wears flapiflops, we can't see on this picture, maybe he is !

Cat

PS: This one is coming from Planescape, truly...

(OOC: Damn Angelfire hosted picture).

OK,

very very last try, until Peter gets angry about us AAR-hijacking him...

The mountain The Transcendant One comes from:

mtn.gif

All here where each thing seems its lonely self
Are figures of the sole transcendent One...

Sri Aurobindo

Cat

PS: Mmh, a lot of cactus for the Tibet :confused:
http://www.collaboration.org/96/fall/text/0.mtn.html

Nice attempts at guessing the Transcendant One's identity, but it should be obvious to everybody that the guesses are wrong, since (amongst other reasons)

1) They don't sport flapiflops
2) The Transcendant One is larger

Episode 3

From the Notes of the Transcendant One

China at a glance
China is a vast country filled with Chinese. Some of them live in huts and eat rice, while others go fishing. China exhibits mountains, plains, deserts, and just about any sort of geography you could imagine. Though quaint, their mountains do not stand comparison with the new and improved mountains I have commisioned in Boing, and the same goes for their plain plains, and their desert deserts. China, in fact, would be improved mightily by the beneficial influence of Boingonese geography.

Economy of China
The numerous people of China spend most of their hard earned money on supporting a weak imperialist ruling class led by the Emperor. Currently the economy is in a shambles, due to the recent fracas (see the Chinese Fracas of 1486-).

Geopolitics of China
Despite being the mightiest country in the neigbourhood, China maintains but a small standing army. It also maintains a rather larger running army, currently on the run from rebels.

Customs of China
It is the custom to defer to visiting dignitaries with big armies and to avoid inflicting grevious bodily harm on friendly visitors by the good strategy of advancing in retrograde. The natives are very friendly once you get to know them, and they are very understanding of the peculiarities of strangers. Though it shames me to admit it, I accidentally slept on a house in one of the nameless villages, and despite the not inconsiderable damage, the natives didn't raise a fuss. I had the army erect a monument of a Yeti as a reward for good behaviour.

But the natives do get tiring. Whenever I begin having a serious discussion on philsophy or the natural sciences, I naturally show Pommi'do'Kalwarg and raise my flapiflops, as anyone would do in my situation while arguing a subtle point, at which point they throw themselves sprawling in the dust in abject admiration and fear. It does get a bit tiresome, to be treated like a god. I am just a friendly traveller, and seldom mess with the gods - most of them are so unsophisticated, when all is said and done.

It is the custom of China to roast an eel in every village while burning an effigy of a Tax Collector once a year, during summertime. I am reliably informed that in days of yore actual Tax Collectors were used. However, in these enlightened days, it is impossible to get rid of a Tax Collector, which shows a firm sense of infrastructure economy.

The Chinese Fracas of 1486-
Apparently influenced by the songs of the card-carrying leviating monks of Falalalala (one of the remoter Boingonese mountains), several hundred thousand free thinkers decided to throw off the imperial yoke and pull their home provinces screaming and kicking into the 15th century - just as the rest of this world was getting ready to enter the 16th. The oppressive and ineffectual Chinese bureaucracy was unable to copy with this crisis, and initially decided to ignore it, evidently assuming that if they ignored it as insignificant, the rebels would as well. However, time would show that...

From the Book of Beginnings

"Is it certain?", asked the first senior monk.

"Can it be really be true?", questioned the second senior monk.

"What was HE thinking of?", said the third senior monk.

"Blasphemy!", cried the fourth and the fifth senior monk.

"Was not", said the third senior monk.

"Was too"; said the first senior monk.

"SHUT UP!", said the Priest-King Dön-Yö Dorje, "The fact remains that while our army is accompanying the Transcendant One on HIS adventure in China and, incidentally, conquering province after province, Delhia and Orissa has declared war on Boing. We have 2,000 troops in our self-defense forces and a manpower of 2,000 troops yearly. Now we've got to ask ourselves: What would Jesus do?"

"Celebrate the 16th century ten years from now?", suggested the third senior monk.

"Anticipate the imminent collapse of he who attacks in anger", said the second senior monk.

"In the eye of the storm the mantis draws breath", said the fourth senior monk.

"No man is a mountain.", said the fifth senior monk.

"I'll ask him", said the first senior monk, prematurely ending what otherwise promised to be an interesting discussion.

From the Book of Adventure

China, February 1490

Dear Priest-King

My interviews with prominent rebels are yielding valuable sociological and demographic data and China is a very nice place to visit. However, I would like to protest the actions of certain reactionary elements of the army. Rather violently, though in self-defense, the army has occupied Sichuan Pendi, Lanzhou, Yunnan, Guizhou, Shaanxi, Ningxia, Hunan, Guangxi, Guangdon, Shanxi, and Jinan, and is currently besieging Kowloon, Zheijang, Shanghai, Shangdong, Hebei, and Hothot. Though losses are few (an estimated 5000 soldiers have been lost to lust), I really must protest this treatment of the innocent Chinese workers and peasants. Boings armies are behaving like conquerors rather than pacemakers. Rather disturbing, that. I don't for the world of me know what's gone into them.

Yours sincerely,
HIM.

Boingonese Armies Behaving In A Not So Nice Fashion, 1488
384863614.jpg

February, 1491

Dear Priest-King.

I am having a blast of a time in my travels. Currently I am visiting the twin hamlets of Itsucksmajor nad Itsucksminor (see picture attacked). The Chinese are quite friendly, and have decided that they would like to give Boing a lot of provinces. To avoid appearing greedy (and one does so want to keep up appearances, you know), I have steadfastly refused their ever more insistent demands over the last few months. At the end, I have been forced to make the minimal counterproposal of giving Boing Guanxi and Shanghai (an eastern port), which will allow me to visit the rebel controlled areas without interfering in provinces under Chinese control (I understand that they would like to end the fracas). I am off to see the rebels on their home turf!

Yours sincerely,
HIM.

March, 1491

Dear Priest-King.

I will be returning soon due to unforseen conqsequences. Following Boing's peace with China I met some of the rebel leaders in person. Attempting to ingratiate myself with them, I raised myself up, gave them my best smile, and raised my flapiflops - at which point they, as one, pronounced themselves subjects of Boing. Most disencouraging, since the rebellion seems to have disappeared overnight. This means that in addition to the provinces of Assam, Arakan, and parts of Bengal, you must now add Jiangsu, Anhui, Fujian, Guangzhou, Henan, Hubei, and Nanchang to the provinces of Boing, for which my sincerest apologies. I tried to dissuade them but to no avail. This has led to the interesting situation of an Western Boing (Boing Proper) that is disconnected from the Eastern Boing (centered on Shanghai).

Yours sincerely,
HIM.

Rebels Without A Cause Join Boing, 1491
369057176.jpg

From the Book of Self Defense
  1. Everyone knows rule one
  2. And if you are struck on the left cheek, turn your right, find a heavy stick, and beat the crap out of the offender
  3. And if you are struck on the right cheek, turn your left, find a heavy stick, and beat the crap out of the offender
  4. And if your neigbour burns your house, find a heavy stick, and beat the crap out of the offender
  5. And if a neighbouring nation invades with a massive army, burns your villages, mutilates the sheep, makes off with your womenfolk, annoys the Yetis, and disturbs the tranquillity of the monks, find a heavy stick, and beat the crap out of the offender
    [/list=1]

And in 1491 by HIS firm guidance was rule five applied and Delhi and Orissa left Boing all alone.

And when the Chinese Imperialist Aggressors having finally raised a massive army caused Dai Viet and its alliance of Cambodia, Vientiane, and Boing, to preemptively attack in self-defense in 1495, the Boingonese manpower pool was full at 6,000 men, 3,000 men being raised per year, and the Transcendant One applied rule five and to defer further aggression from the CIA, HE took Lanzhou of the mine of gold, Shaanxi of the Naval Equipments manufactory, and Jinan with its advanced weapons manufactory, and the senior monks said: We are now considered very bad, Transcendant One, and HE said: Nonsense. It was self-defense. They'll forget about it in a decade or so.

And when Delhia, Orissa, and the CIA attacked in 1503 following severe peasant unhappiness, and caused the grevious loss of a full third of the Boingonese army, some 20,000 men, a seven years crop, HE uttered words of wisdom, saying:Wow! Look at the size of that red blob, and HE applied rule five, and beat them off, and made neutral peace with the CIA, and HE gave Orissa 21 pws, saying: It would have been cheap at twice the price.

The Red Blob, 1504
    870092256.jpg

And when during the war with Orissa, the nobles allied with Myanmar causing the stability to plummet yet again, and immediately afterwards the Chagatai Khaganate attacked in 1505, after which a wave of obscuratism swept war-torn Boing, HE applied rule five and beat the crap out of them, and in 1506 HE took Bastar from Delhi, and being in a good mood, HE gave Chagatai 7 pws for peace in 1507, and Boing was at peace again.

And when the CIA, Delhi, and Orissa attacked the Fellowship of Boing in 1512, which at the time included Vientiane, Dai Viet and Ayutthaya, the Boingonese army had risen again from the 30,000 man low it reached during the Chagatai war, and HE applied rule five, and made a neutral peace with Delhi, and HE asked Orissa to stop offending and become vassals and they did so upon HIS asking, and HE asked the CIA to kindly hand over Shanxi, Zheyiang, Liaotung, Shandong, Kowloon, Yalu, and their colony in Bogorodsk to prevent future aggression, and the CIA did so, and the senior monks said: We are now considered extremely bad, Transcendant One, and HE said: Nonsense. It was self-defense. They'll forget about it in a decade or so.

From the Book of Om

Convert:And in 1501 Lanzhou spontaneously converted to the wisdom of the Transcendant One, and there was much rejoicing
    Convert:And in 1510 Fujian spontaneously converted to the wisdom of the Transcendant One, and the birds of the fields sang sonnets in HIS praise
    Convert:And in 1537 Howrah spontaneously converted to the wisdom of the Transcendant One, and the Elephants danced in joy

From the Book of Beginnings

"Boing has lived at peace these many decades, Transcendant One, for which we thank YOU, and praise YOUR wisdom. The Boingonese colonies in India and Indonesia grow daily, and with the recent diplomatic annexation of Bengal in 1532 and Orissa in 1543 we seem to have entered a state of perpetual bliss, a golden age of peace. The Boingonese armies stand as strong as ever, and Boing is a quantity-driven, defensive, decentralised, land-focused, narrowminded, slighly mercantilist, enserfing country balanced between the nobles and the commons; a country of happy Boingonese who have lived now for a generation without wars. And despite the corruption amongst the orders which YOU struck down recently (and impressive smiting it was truly) and the 70%+ inflation, Boing is now, in 1549, considered merely very bad. For this and for YOUR many other gifts to the country of Boing, we give thanks.", said the Priest-King Ngawang Namgye.

"Truthfully, we have benefited mightily from THY presence, Transcendant One", said the first senior monk.

"It is not too much to say, that Boing is the better off for THY visit", said the second senior monk.

"Indeed, it would be inconsiderate of us to insist on THY continued presence, Transcendant One, considering how THOU could bring enlightenment to other less fortunate countries, far far away", agreed the third senior monk.

"When the going gets blissful, the blissful gets going", rasped the fourth senior monk.

"A man with no pun is not a man", said the fith senior monk, missing the point.

You are too kind, really, all of you. Sniff. I am moved to tears by your gratitude, and a stream of tears departed the Transcendant One's eyes and flooded the chamber and swept the monks from their feet. But though I will, of course, depart in time, I will abide here yet awhile. I have recently begun studying the flora of the mountains, and I couldn't possibly leave before my floral studies have been completed, now could I? So until then you will retain my company. Are we all happy again, now? asked the Transcendant One with a big and toothy smile on HIS face (and how could it be otherwise?)

"Yes", chorused the senior monks, for being senior they were wise enough to divine the course of the conversation.

Wonderful! I'll get back to the flowers and the mountains, then. Did you know that there are more than 49 species of mountains in the neighbourhood - including some unique types only found in Nippon and Indochina? And the flowers. Have you ever seen the quibbling daffodil or the boastful rose. Truly, this world is a marvelous place! burbled the Transcendant One, happily, after which he performed the wappa-dance of joy.

And as the very Earth shook beneath their feet at the impact of HIS dance, the acolytes threw themselves to the ground as had become their custom, the lesser monks grabbed at anything remotely stationary to keep their dignity, and the senior monks levitated to avoid the quaking Earth. Outside, the Yetis trembled in their mountain lairs, the Yaks went crazy, and many a mountaineer was sent careening over the side of a now unsafe mountain, and in the the ceremonial gardens, the monk of steel, monk 357 Version Alpha Mod One Block Zero, rooted himself to the shaking Earth and took heed that HE had done it again.

As a matter of fact, I would like to go on some more more expeditions! added the Transcendant One as an afterthought.

YAK DUNG! went the senior monks, agreeing for once.

Originally posted by Secret Master
Just out of curiosity, Peter, what are the steps involved in the wappa-dance of joy? I was thinking of trying it out in the club to impress people.... :D

Unfortunately you lack both flapiflops and size, and in the wappa-dance of joy, size does matter.

Interesting moniker you have acquired by the way, and unlike with me you got one without spelling errors.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen

Interesting moniker you have acquired by the way, and unlike with me you got one without spelling errors.

Well, my moniker was a sort of collaberative project between BiB and I. At the same time he was hading out the custom titles to you and a few other of our comrades, he wanted to give me one. But he couldn't think of one. It took me a day or so to make it up, and I sent it to him in PM. I'm guessing he used copy and paste to get it right.

Then again, BiB might have misspelled yours on purpose. Maybe with another 1,000 posts, you get a correcrtly spelled custom title... :D

Edit: Speaking of custom titles, check out Carolus Rex's title. Is that Banned title a joke? :eek:

I want one of those too! Do I have to do something actually useful to get one? :D

*thinks*

*drinks*

*slobbers*

Okay, seems as if I'll stay as a major... :D

Originally posted by Peter Ebbesen
And, of course, he has flapiflops, which rules out most of the obvious candidates :D

Flapiflops. Flapiflops?

What in the name of the Serene Buddha is a flapiflop?

*Prufrock meditates deeply upon the flapiflop*
*reaches the transcendent state known to initiates as "Google"*

"Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle."

*finds no answers there*
*leafs through the Tibetan Book of the Dead, and draws another blank*
*leafs through the Iowan Book of the Dead, realizes its a phone book, and tosses it aside*
*chews through his prayer wheel in frustration*

this aar is great as usual, but i just see care2 notes instead of sreenies ;(( grrrr

best regards,

Avocado

Originally posted by Avocado Aguila
this aar is great as usual, but i just see care2 notes instead of sreenies ;(( grrrr

best regards,

Avocado

Rightclick on the title of an image, copy shortcut, paste in address should solve most firewall problems. Once seen it should be stored in your local cache and substituted for the oopsed picture in the text. Other people have suggested other suggestions a few pages back. If you can't get them at all, too bad.

Snark lifts his head, raises his flappiflops, and looks around for the Enlightend One.:confused:

It had been too long since the last hilarious post. Where was HE hiding? And would HE be fooled by the synthetic flappiflops (cunningly fashioned of papier-mâché) used to entice HIM into making an appearance? If that doesn't work, surely the wonderful bonsai mountains will bring HIM.

"What can it be, brothers?", asked the first senior monk.

"Truly, the world is a strange place", said the second senior monk.

"Is it, perhaps, a filloppogated aardvaark?", suggested the third senior monk.

"It neither grunts with pain nor pains the grunts", stated the fourth senior monk.

"I wonder if those flapiflops are functional?", asked the fifth senior monk.

....Let's learn by doing....

Om
Ommm
Ommmm
Ommmmmmm

and
HEAVE!

..aaaaarrrrrrgg, went the Snark, for it was he.

"It's a long way down, isn't it?", said the first senior monk, peering over the edge of the mountain.

rrrrrrrrrrggggg, continued the Snark.

"Well, I'm not sure about the flapiflops, but those lungs are impressive", said the second senior monk.

ggggghhhhhhhh!, went the Snark.

"It would be wise to avoid that rocky outcropping", stated the third senior monk.

THUMP!
SLAT!

"He was caught between a rock and a hard case", intoned the fourth senior monk.

"So those flapiflops weren't functional after all. What a shame", said the fifth senior monk.

And as they spoke a huge shadow fell over the mountain and a storm was raised by HIS flapiflops and HIS voice came down from on high: Hello fellow travelers on the road of wisdom! You wouldn't believe what just happened in Asia. Are we out of gnomes yet?

Last edited:
Episode the fourth

From the Book of the Cheetah

And it is written in secret pages of the hidden book of the Cheetah, that in one timeline, which is no more, having been erased at HIS command, the mighty nation of Boing under the influence of corrupt and wasteful lesser monks rising to positions above their abilities, supported the burgeoisie against the aristocracy, and became aggressive, and invaded China taking Guangdong and Liaoning in 1556 and later on made an alliance with the Manchu at great cost. And the aristocracy was persectuted harshly in the name of equality. All was not serene, however, as the peasants were, as peasants are wont to be, unhappy, time and time again. And it came to pass that Boing claimed the throne of Nippon in 1596, and invaded that island, and despite dreadful losses ended up taking Kansai province in peace negotiations. And it happened that the Manchu alliance was broken as the Manchu refused to honour it in the invasion of Mysore and Vijayanagar, even as the Manchu assimilated the Eastern Mongols, and the 200,000 Manchu warriors decided to invade Boing instead in 1608. And HE said: Tough luck.

And HE threw back the Manchu during two bloody wars and in a fit of rage annexed all five of their provinces outside the capital, but since China was still alive and kicking, Boing was not a frontier country, and HE said: So what?

And Boing defended itself vigorously in the early years of the 1630'ies against the kingdoms of Makassar, Nippon, and Delhi, and they were all made vassals, and HE said: Interesting

And despite frequent occurrences of insanity amongst the various Priest Kings, Delhi was finally diplomatically annexed in 1659, and HE said: What do you mean? We're worse than dishonourable scum? That's not very nice. Shame on you.

And this ushered in the Age of Blood which saw the Boingonese armies initially triumphant but over the years whittled down to almost nothing, as even tiny Malacca with its tech12 troops consistently beat the ever fewer tech2 Boingonese armies. Thus the half million army was whittled down to 160,000 men over the first eight years and only thirteen provinces gained.

And in the Age of Blood Boing could raise but 40,000 troops a year, and everybody and his little donkey waged war upon Boing, and Oman, the Mamelukes, and many other strangers, such as the Portuguese, came from far away to join the fray. And HE said: I wonder why they did that?

And the Mahrattis declared independence even as fighting was finally drawing to a close in Nippon and HE wondered: Why do the senior monks look so desperate? We've finally reached trade4! and can now embargo hostile nations, of which there are plenty.

And the peasants were unhappy and there was a major political crisis and the senior monks looked decidedly unhappy, and HE noticed that some merchants had nicked one of his favourite mountains, and that one of the rare floral families HE had been studying had been ground into the dust by the passing armies, and HE said: This will not be.

And he returned to the mountains of Boing and HE said unto the senior monks: Hello fellow travelers on the road of wisdom! You wouldn't believe what just happened in Asia. Are we out of gnomes yet?

And there being still a gnome left in Boing, the dreaded Rite of the Cheetah was performed, and the Brute Incarnate Belial slew the gnome most horribly, and time warped.

And This Is How It No Longer Will Have Been
827858058.jpg

From the Book of Boing

And following the defensive invasion of the CIA in 1553, the CIA decided to award the heroic defenders of Boing Guangdong, 200pws, and military access in 1555. And the CIA said: Let us leave a breathing hole in the closure of China, and the monks added this to the trove of mystic sayings, and the Boingonese province of Guangzhou became a regional centre of trade.

And in 1564 the pws were first created with HIS image adorning them, and the people of Boing were impressed, and they built a Goods Manufactory for the production of Transcendant One Prayer Wheels in Lhasa, and HE was pleased, and grinned mightily at the news.

And the monks came unto the Transcendant One as he contemplated the Buddha nature of an imported mountain and said, we are ready to begin cracking down on the aristocracy as you have earlier indicated was your desire, and HE said: Nonsense, you are mistaken. Down with the greedy and intellectually dishonest bourgeoisie has always been my mantra

And the monks said, that's one impressive mantra all right, we must have been mistaken. And HE sniggered to himself: That'll teach them not to steal my mountains.

And the monks said: Shall we now focus our efforts on worldly trade?

And HE said: No. Increase the research in upgraded Prayer Wheels instead. I had this idea of a nifty steam powered Prayer Wheel, and your tech isn't up to it yet, so get cracking.

And the monks agreed that that was a most powerful bit of ancient and unfathomable piece of wisdom indeed, and they began cracking Prayer Wheels.

From the notes of the Transcendant One

It is interesting to note how money, here taking the form of pws, can peacefully change the course and the fate of nations. Boing is an excellent example. Somewhat disliked due to its two centuries of succesful self-defense, who would have predicted that Boing would become the centre of a peaceful coalition of friendly nation states? Not many, to be sure. But seing the terrible state of this world, it has come to me that it is, in fact, my duty, to help these unfortunate mammals. Are they to blame for their small brains or lack of flapiflops? For their uncouth habits and crunchy yellow bodies? For their awful stink and woefully deficient sense of smell ? (though perhaps these are connected? Surely the second can be imagined as a sort of protection from the first, but I digress)

No, no, and no! The malignant forces of nature and their capricious godlings are to blame. In themselves, they are guiltless. But should I let them wallow in their poverty, when I can bring them so many gifts? I think not. But I must act gradually, so as to minimise the damage of the transition, for change always comes with a price.

And sometimes the price is money. Bribery, though a dirty word, works wonders when nations are ruled by self-indulgent unprincipled kings and princes. And if they are principled? Well, in that case it works just as well, once you find out which principles to support.

And thus, though it pains me to admit it, I have bribed my way into the hearts and minds of the princes of Ayutthaya, Malacca, and Atjeh, and if my personal visit to the princes in question did, perhaps, intimidate them slightly and lend them added incentive to join up, it was yet in a good cause.

From the Book of the Peaceful Coexistence

And in those days did tranquility descend upon Asia, and if the lion did not lie down with the lamb, at least it had a good snack, and HE brought about the alliance of Boing, Ayutthaya, Malacca and Atheh in 1573, the beginning of the Boingonese Co-Prosperity Sphere, and HE asked them to become vassals of Boing, and, in time, they did agree, and HE asked them to join Boing for the greater good of all, and, in time, they did agree. Atjeh in 1585, Ayutthaya in 1596, and Malacca in 1597, and the senior monks said: We are now considered extremely bad, Transcendant One, and HE said: Nonsense. We are all happy and serene campers in the Boingonese Co-Prosperity Sphere. They'll forget about it in a decade or so.

The Boingonese Co-Prosperity Sphere (BOCOPS), 1597
664301311.jpg

And with the growth of Boing, Boing had a total manpower of 11,750 men before the rigorous training which added 40% to their number (truly the ways of the Transcendant One are mysterious), the top contributor being the province of Jakarta which provided a thousand men per year, and this was brought to HIS attention and to the attention of the senior monks.

And HE said: Great. Then Boing is able to protect itself even more vigorously against unwarranted aggression! This is truly fortunate, for Manchu has just deliberately insulted me. They said I was a great big unfeeling visitor from abroad (how rude!) and they disparaged my flapiflops and insinuated that I eat humans, to which I must very much object. I'm a conscientious objector, I'll have you know. Snifff. They're hurting my feelings. And they're not alone, since they are allied with Nippon. I very strongly feel that they ought to be taught a lesson in civility - why I'm almost stirred to anger! Sniff. Are we serene?

And great tears fell from HIS eyes as he cried piteously, while sneaking a peek at the senior monks, to gauge their reaction, or so an uncharitable and unsensitive lout might suspect, whereas the infinitely more correct interpretation would be that HE was studying the Buddha nature and the degree of enlightenment within the monks, for who could be a better judge than the Transcendant One?

And the senior monks were shocked by this incivility shown to the Transcendant One, and they said as one: Yo! We are serene!

And HE said: Yo-yo! Then we are all serene. I'll apply rule five.