• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prime stuff, as we all have noticed, this was. Even I, devoid of any spiritual life, have become serene after reading such an engrossing story of transcendancy. ;) :)

Thanks, Perrygreat. I must admit that those 11 Mighty fortresses - most of them in supply 2 provinces in the Americas - really strained my temper, but if I ever had a reason to do a turbo-annexation, this was it :D

Passeportout? Keep singing, and you too will be serene. Or locked up and put in a psychiatric ward for the mentally bewildered, where they will treat you well, or at least as you deserve.

Secret Master, MrT, Castellon: The final post, part b/b of the conclusion is yet to come.

Norgesvenn: Thanks, you Righteous BastAARd, you. :)

Valdemar: Finished, nearly... One more post to do, and it is coming up...NOW.

The Conclusion, part b/b: The People's Tale

Somewhere beyond the curtain of night, a people lives. Peaceful since the dawn of history they greet each moment with a sense of wonder. Their name for themselves, for they do have a name for themselves, is this: The People. They have few laws and fewer customs, but then, there is, in fact, almost nothing that could limit them anyway. For convenience they assemble in times in family groups of four to nine (though sometimes three or seventy, depending on what fancies take them), especially when rearing children. Alert to the world from a young age, the children, bumbling and charming though they may be, are yet capable of great disturbances if not followed closely.

"Mummy! I'm hooome"

"What took you so long? It has been simply ages!"

"Sorry, but my voidcraft punctured, and I fell off, breaking the pollifloggeligator, so I had to repair it"

"Your dinner is cold by now, in case you were wondering"

"Aww. I'm not that late, am I?"

"Yes, and it was Red Dwarf, in case you were wondering"

"My favourite.."

"Indeed, got it from the galaxy next door. Now, apart from the puncture, how was your day, dear?"

"Well, after the puncture, I landed on this tiny speck of dirt which had an interesting fauna - and some quaint small mountains - and ...uhm... then I slightly influenced the destiny of an emergent species."

"Nice to hear it, dear"

"I sort of advised them just a bit on how they could build a better world, since they seemed to spend an inordinate time worsening their already dismal conditions. It was strange, really. Here you had a world which was already against them in so many ways, poor puny creatures. On 70% of the surface, they could not live, since they would die if immersed in water. Of the remaining 30% only a small fraction was really livable, and that they tried to destroy with every means possibly to their limited intellects"

"Aha. Well, these things happen"

"But it was so stupid! If they had cooperated, they could nevertheless have made of the place a garden fit for their frail shells, but instead they seemed to take a perverse pride in harming each other and deepening their misery!"

"I see. Nothing uncommon there, really, most species are dismally stupid. However, I hope you didn't interfere too much... Puny though they may have been, they should at the least be granted self-determination."

"Uhmm."

"I know that tone of voice, dear. Speak up, please"

"Well, I sort of encouraged some quaint hermits to band together and search for cosmic harmony and suchlike..."

"Yes?"

"And then, since I was there and felt like being helpful, I sort of supported them morally when they fought back barbarian invaders."

"Yes?"

"And then I sort of advised them a bit on how to civilise barbarians, just like in the 7D show, 'B is for Barbarian, C is for Civilised!' "

"Oh, dear...."

"And then I sort of gave them all sorts of useful advise on building a maintainable society, and I left some primers on civilization, polar caps, global warming, nuclear recycling, and quantum dentistry behind, and then I went home as soon as I had repaired the pollifloggeligator, mother."

"You are leaving out some details, aren't you?"

"Well... Nothing really important. The important part is that I returned home safely, right?"

"There is nothing capable of harming you anyhow, dear...."

"Well"

"Except me. Details, please!"

"uhmm. The quaint hermits sort of overran the entire world in an orgy of blood that spanned 16 of their short generations, uniting it finally in one peaceful nation, led by some guy who kept reincarnating all over the place. But apart from that, nothing really happened."

"Oh, dear. What will your fathers say? They always claim you are such a well-behaved girl."

"I brought you this souvenir, mother"

"A bonzai mountain! How nice - and ice covered as well. That is my favourite flavour.... Just the right bit of sweetness to go with the crunch. Awfully small, though"

"Yes, it was a very small world. That isn't a bonzai mountain, mother, they don't grow them any bigger in Nepal where I was staying. I had to stay at size one or two logarithmic most of the time so as not to disturb the world's orbit, and I doubt you would fit in anywhere since you don't go beneath size twenty if you can avoid it."

"A shame. Just as well, really. Never did like foreign cuisine. Anyhow, it doesn't sound as if you did anything bad, like slaying their gods, creating a new pantheon, or buzzing their star, so since you are a good girl at heart, I will reheat the Red Dwarf, just for you."

And the dear and the mother lifted their flappiflops and danced the wappa-dance of joy, shaking the universe, or at least their corner of it.

And they, too, were serene. For such is the nature of The People.

Hmm! before I tell you that was a great ending (again) just checking to make sure it is now complete. (no part C?) :D

Extremely weird or extremely brilliant take your pick.:D

For some reason I feel strangely serene after reading the ending. I’m glad she didn’t get into trouble. That would have been an unserene ending if she had and then I’d be non-serene. Luckily that didn’t happen. Bravo Peter!
:cool:

Joe

Thanks again, everybody, and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it, which judging from the comments by the vocal minority, might just possibly seem to be the case :D

And rest easily, Castellon, part b/b was indeed the final entry. :)

I have decided to go around to the AARs that have been previously reviewed and briefly bump them back to the top so others might appreciate them if they choose to read.

Take a look at the review for this AAR and if it seems something you might enjoy, spend some time reading the tale. I imagine you will enjoy it.

The Review