Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 5 - Production Lines

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Darkrenown > If there is a modifier to concentrated IC, perhaps it could be set that way for an 'optimal' build. Perhaps more than one IC in a region adds a slight efficiency and % bonus to IC. If each consecutive IC added past 5; adds say 1% efficiency to said production line. Perhaps 10 IC in a region can add a flat 20% cap bonus to that region. This would mean that 10 IC regions are worth 12 IC undamaged. This adds a massive boost to concentration and gives you the incentive to defend your industry. It also models 'damage' to industry.

There could also be tech to lighten the load of strategic bombing.

Strategic Resources are not accumulated in pools. Instead, they represent the potential flow of resources into your factories.

So if i use 5 metal/week and gain 6 metal/week, does it mean that all the extra metal will just vaporize into thin air?

So when you say we are producing 17 tanks per week, i suppose this is 17 actual tank that will come reinforce our division, and not 17 divisions of tanks ? :p

Will you need to do trade deals and run convoys to get strategic resources to your homeland like you do with metal, coal and oil in HOI3?

Yup.

How come "Artillery" is one model of equipment? Surely to fit in with the level of detail of Churchill Tank and Hurricane, you would need to have artillery be a little more specific, 6" Howitzer for example.

I just haven't had time to add flavour names to everything yet, although there will likely be less detail on support equipment even once I do so.

So if i use 5 metal/week and gain 6 metal/week, does it mean that all the extra metal will just vaporize into thin air?

It doesn't vaporise so much as miners/smelters w/e scale back their production if there's no market.

So when you say we are producing 17 tanks per week, i suppose this is 17 actual tank that will come reinforce our division, and not 17 divisions of tanks ? :p

Yes, also these are using placeholder costs.

Very interesting and looks as much better than HoI1-3 way. One thing I hope for is that while stockpiling is reduced, logistic should affect the strategic materials one gets.

A very minor quibble - I think it would be better to call iron either steel or iron ore, as iron per se wasn't really that much used... If iron ore, then I'd also add coal as resource (representing both the coking coal as well as energy needed to run the factories in the first place... )

3)Abstracted. Although currently factories do "remember" what they were tooled for and the system will use the best picks if you disband some lines and then start up similar ones.

It's good to see that you don't have to micromanage every single factory in the game, but it could backfire if you don't also give the players the opportunity to manually move the production of key production lines away from the front or possible bombardment. That would also add to the new idea of sacrificing efficiency for undisturbed production and more efficiency in the future.

It's good to see that you don't have to micromanage every single factory in the game, but it could backfire if you don't also give the players the opportunity to manually move the production of key production lines away from the front or possible bombardment. That would also add to the new idea of sacrificing efficiency for undisturbed production and more efficiency in the future.

I agree, although it's difficult to judge without having the games in our hands, i guess it would be more interesting to have factories anchored at a real location, with a costly possibility to move those factories with gameplay mechanics without resorting to scripted decisions.

For instance, if i'm playing france, and i'm holding my own in northern/eastern france, i might want to move factories from Paris to Bordeaux or Toulouse in the south, rather than risking losing my factories along with my capital.

Very interesting and looks as much better than HoI1-3 way. One thing I hope for is that while stockpiling is reduced, logistic should affect the strategic materials one gets.

A very minor quibble - I think it would be better to call iron either steel or iron ore, as iron per se wasn't really that much used... If iron ore, then I'd also add coal as resource (representing both the coking coal as well as energy needed to run the factories in the first place... )

Technically it's iron ore, otherwise we'd need to ship steel from Sweden to Germany which would be weird. And yeah, it does need to be turned into steel to be useful, but I considered that to be abstracted into the industrial process and coal to be covered by the raw material need of Industry, otherwise we'd have 2 good that are always used together and would feel redundant.

It should not be a problem since lines aren't tied to onmap factories, damage or loss of factories is deducted from the lowest priority lines. Possibly there should be some efficiency loss to higher priority lines when this happens, but that may get too fiddly.

Reactions:
Looks nice and thank you for this DD

1. Strategic bombing and destroying IC, who will feel the shortage first? Art or the planes?
2. I assume there will be no "Inf" to build, only equipment and Manpower is an Extra pool that not shows up in production?
3. Will the ressources be hardocded or moddable?
4. For ships there will be the text "1 Destroyer each 6 months" ?
5. Off topic(Dev Dia) can spies reveal your production output?

Thanks

That resource system reminds me, very strongly, of The Settlers 7. I hope we'll not have to send out the workers and errect ore mines etc... on the other hand, podcat did mention that the civilian branch in the industry in fact does errect buildings...

Taking those 72 Hurricanes per week as an example, how do things work? Can I stockpile equipment, so units will have spare planes etc when they engage in combat? Or will I just need little over a week to churn out another fighter wing?

Last edited:
Looks nice and thank you for this DD

1. Strategic bombing and destroying IC, who will feel the shortage first? Art or the planes?
2. I assume there will be no "Inf" to build, only equipment and Manpower is an Extra pool that not shows up in production?
3. Will the ressources be hardocded or moddable?
4. For ships there will be the text "1 Destroyer each 6 months" ?
5. Off topic(Dev Dia) can spies reveal your production output?

Thanks

1. Arty.
2. Yeah. The mating of equipment and manpower/training will be covered when we talk about Deployment. It's cool though.
3. They should be moddable, although UI space is limited.
4. Well "2/year" is how I think that would show, but yeah.
5. Yes (no followup questions please!)

Oh yeah and the button "storage"... seems like we can "storage" equipment? :)

Well it has to go somewhere untill you use it... :)

So you can only allocate whole factories ? No more tinkering with hundredths of IC?

So you can only allocate whole factories ? No more tinkering with hundredths of IC?

Yeah, no more tweaking sliders every hour of the game