Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 5 - Production Lines

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting concept, gents. I am especially intrigued by the potential it has for more detailing/revision in the inevitable cycle of DLC's that will come out of this eventually. You seem to have thought of this with such possibilities in mind.
I do have trouble wondering just what "raw materials" consists of, once you have subtracted out all of the "strategic resources" -- wood, spit, glue, and maybe a bit of Bakelite, eh?

Now all I have to yearn for is a real on-map petroleum refining capacity.

That was without a doubt the most insightful comment I have ever seen! Great job that man!

Coming back to the matter at hand - the changes seem very promising, moving resources from IC level to production level is a great idea. It actually looks so good I'm starting to have great hopes for IV, considering that I did not like III, it's a wonderful feeling :)

Sounds very good so far, but not being able to stockpile 'Strategic reserves' of fuel, steel or other tradeable goods sounds weird, because a lot of nations did so (and are still doing today) ...
I was going to make the same point. All very well to simplify, but you shouldn't oversimplify real-world responses away.

Well I guess I'll have to wait and see how it will turn out when it's finished :)
Yes, I'll have to do that as well.

I trust the Devs... I hope that trust isn't misplaced.

In all this, the "raw materials" have hardly been mentioned at all, so I was wondering if you buy that on the open market or if they are abstracted someway in the production process?

You mentioned 3 types of factories: civilian, dockyard, and military.

Could modders introduce more?

Doubtfully, since those three will probably be hardcoded to produce their determined areas.

I'm really liking this new production system. I was concerned about the lack of stockpiling at first but I think it will make targeting supply lines more viable and really put the pressure on central European powers (aka Germany) to secure natural resources. One question, how will lend lease be handled this time around? I assume you won't just be given extra IC anymore. I'm hoping for a more realistic transfer of military equipment.

I was going to make the same point. All very well to simplify, but you shouldn't oversimplify real-world responses away.
At some point one just has to recognize that some realistic options have to be removed because they lead to uninteresting gameplay outcomes. Assuming your enemy is using all his available resources and is not getting more through trade, it is now just as viable to attack your enemies resource producing provinces as it is to attack his factories directly if you want to hamper his production. In fact, if you know what units you really don't want your enemy to have a lot of and you know what strategic resources are used in their production, going after the production or shipment of those strategic resources now seems like it is very important if you want to stay ahead of your enemies.

In HoI3 it would have been nonsensical to go after resource producing provinces (with maybe the exception of oil), since your enemy might be sitting on such a huge stockpile that he could continue producing at full speed out of his available factories with the game ending before those resources got used up.

Reactions:
Looking great Paradox, this really is a monumental improvement from the old systems.

Some things that i wonder about though;
What constitutes 'raw materials'? Is it just energy resources? Otherwise it seems like a bit too much of an abstraction, but I'm sure you have good reasons for it.

Why not make the player assign each production line to a province with any level of factories, and have the system then automatically assign the most adjacent available factories to that production line?
I could of course be wrong, but right now it seems like industrially targeted strategic action is just as effective as it was in previous games.

Anyway, great stuff.

Planes are certainly going to consume aluminium. This is where the new system becomes interesting:
Jet fighters like the ME-263 had a serious heat-problem. Only tungsten could solve that. Without tungsten, the planes suffered heavy damage from overheating. The Brits were aware of that. So they pre-emptively bought all the tungsten they could, mainly from Germany's main supplier of that resource: Turkey.
.. and Portugal

"During World War II, the Portuguese Republic was an authoritarian political regime under António de Oliveira Salazar and the Estado Novo, often regarded as pro-fascist. Although Portugal was officially a neutral country, it exported goods to the Allies as well as Germany and other neutral countries.[1] The most exported goods were sugar, tobacco, and tungsten"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal_in_World_War_II

Sounds very good so far, but not being able to stockpile 'Strategic reserves' of fuel, steel or other tradeable goods sounds weird, because a lot of nations did so (and are still doing today) ...
My words exactly...

I am really really really disappointed that there aren't more news regarding dogs - such as, I'm wondering what dog will Czechoslovakia have, and what will have Nationalist Slovakia? Maybe some street mix dog for Czechoslovakia, and some sort of shepherd dog for Slovakia?
But as disappointing as this dev diary was absenting the dogs, I wonder about one point regarding resources, it seems exciting as it seem it should allow quite nice simulation of hard considerations there were when production was generally moving from wooden planes to aluminium planes, as there were great constraints with aluminium production early on, which was a limiting factor of planes modernisation... so with respect to that, is it part of system to "build" (some of) resources? And will different generations of products use different volume of materials? Or will it be factories will be consuming it at same rate, but take longer to produce more modern equipment?

So if I have a high efficiency line and I get a better model and I shift all but one factory out, does that mean I can instantly ramp back up production if I need to?

Will strategic bombardment disrupt deficiency or just factories?

Will civilian industries be civilian exclusively or will there be some overlap with military production? Can factories change type? Can civilian industry build more military factories or increase raw materials production?

Will oil just be an industrial good or will there be any sort of strategic pool for use by units?