• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI3 Writing Contest - Top 5

• Watch out for vegetables... by cocodtim

Votes: 16 7,0%
  • Fall Weiss by demokratickid

Votes: 35 15,3%
  • Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn

Votes: 45 19,7%
  • OUR LADY of SORROWS - The Seven Tragedies of Poland by robw963

Votes: 62 27,1%
  • Here is Europe as the cool empire of P0L4ND!!! by Storm501

Votes: 71 31,0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1) Watch out for vegetables... by cocodtim

2) Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn

3)

1: RCAF Quebec City, 1994 by trekaddict
2: Doktor Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hun by Llywelyn
3: I wish it would rain by eleazar

I honestly did not read them all. I used that index in the second page to view ones that had a description that seemedf to interest me. I went through about 10 before finding 2 I liked (My number one choice actualy stood out when scanning the page, I can't remember who wrote my number one, but you deserve an extra round of applause).

Unfortunatly, the index is a bit lacking, it makes several good ones seem bland, indeed, I wouldn't read my own after seeing its listing, but hey, what can you do when you have to come up with 50+ descriptions.

The one I picked for number three was very good (and indeed is about 3 votes ahead of everyone else), but didn't sound too good reading the index. So I'll go and see if I can find a better one then 2, the only one I'm not sure about.

I honestly did not read them all. I used that index in the second page to view ones that had a description that seemedf to interest me. I went through about 10 before finding 2 I liked (My number one choice actualy stood out when scanning the page, I can't remember who wrote my number one, but you deserve an extra round of applause).

Unfortunatly, the index is a bit lacking, it makes several good ones seem bland, indeed, I wouldn't read my own after seeing its listing, but hey, what can you do when you have to come up with 50+ descriptions.

The one I picked for number three was very good (and indeed is about 3 votes ahead of everyone else), but didn't sound too good reading the index. So I'll go and see if I can find a better one then 2, the only one I'm not sure about.
You have 20 days to vote...you can and should read all of them to make it fair.

I agree with comagoosie. There is plenty of time to relax and read through them all. There are quite some beauties between them. Personally I've read them all this weekend at least once, some twice, but it was late during the night. I want to reread them all at a moment I'm less tired, so I can give them a fair chance.

It was indeed quite some work to think of 62 descriptions (the one for my own I had already thought of a little while back). If anyone can think of better descriptions of entries (one sentence, not too long), just pm me and I'll change it :).

You have 20 days to vote...you can and should read all of them to make it fair.
This.

Also, as oam points out, because otherwise you might miss some excellent work. Even those without the interest to go through all of them should, at bare minimum, skim through the thread itself. The list was intended to help you find stories you already enjoyed, not replace them.

oam said:
Oh I do intend to atleast look at each one, but if it turns out to be borring, I'm not going to waste time by sitting through it to the end.
That's certainly valid: you might still miss a good ending, but drawing the reader in is part of the author's job.

I unfortunatly have found the vast majority to be borring so far. Yours and that comedy one (that I guess had an unfair advatange being right above mine) did do a good job of getting my attention. Something that yelled "Hey! Look at me!"

If you find the stories boring (Which is unfortunate, there are many good ones... :) ) Then try mine, it's poetry... :)

Ok Hi Boys...it's me again....the guy with questions that are already answered in the first post of the contest thread. Today I have a question about where it is and where it is NOT legal to promote our contest entries. This rule seemed pretty clear to me (at first):

~ Advertising your story is only allowed in the main commets thread (do NOT make any new threads or post in other threads about your entry).
When telling us about your AAR DO NOT SPAM . Use common sense and NO BIG FONTS. Inkwell and signature are fine as long as they follow forum rules​

sooo...does this mean no promotion in our own AARs? God knows i don't want to get disqualified for doing anything wrong. Anyone got the scoop on that?

Last edited:
If you find the stories boring (Which is unfortunate, there are many good ones... :) ) Then try mine, it's poetry... :)

Or mine. It's a screenplay :p.

Ok Hi Boys...it's me again....the guy with questions that are already answered in the first post of the contest thread. Today I have a question about where it is and where it is NOT legal to promte our contest entries. This rule seemed pretty clear to me (at first):

~ Advertising your story is only allowed in the main commets thread (do NOT make any new threads or post in other threads about your entry).
When telling us about your AAR DO NOT SPAM . Use common sense and NO BIG FONTS. Inkwell and signature are fine as long as they follow forum rules​

sooo...does this mean no promotion in our own AARs? God knows i don't want to get disqualified for doing anything wrong. Anyone got the scoop on that?

As far as I know you are only allowed to advertise on three places:
1) Here in this thread,
2) in your signature,
3) in your inkwell.
So no, I don't think you may advertise in your own AAR.

This rule was set because someone started not only to advertise in this thread and his own AARs, but also on several new threads he created especially for the purpose of advertise his AAR. Therefor he has been banned from the contest. I recommend you to keep it with the three mentioned options.

You may list your entry in your inkwell entry and in your signature as well as in this thread. Anything else goes over the edge in trying to campaign. If you wish to highlight this contest in your AAR to let other people know about it, feel free but make sure to link the contest thread and not just your own work. The entry should speak for itself without people needing to continually point others to it.

And if you advertise this in your signature, please make sure you are following the forum rules.

We have been having quite a lot of trouble recently with sigs and I will start adding infractions instead of giving warnings if it doesn't start to get better soon. The rules are clearly stated and ignorance of the rules is no excuse.

Last edited:
I unfortunatly have found the vast majority to be borring so far. Yours and that comedy one (that I guess had an unfair advatange being right above mine) did do a good job of getting my attention. Something that yelled "Hey! Look at me!"
Oh, you sure know how to make friends fast telling near 60 writers that their work is boring. :D

And pray tell me if you consider your writing interesting, what makes it so. We are all learning here and anything to improve our writing will be weighed.

EDIT: To critique work, go here : http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132748
They're asking for critiques.

Oh, you sure know how to make friends fast telling near 60 writers that their work is boring. :D

And pray tell me if you consider your writing interesting, what makes it so. We are all learning here and anything to improve our writing will be weighed.

I'm simply very picky when it comes to my AARs. It is more of the subject matter that is borring. It takes a truely talented writer to turn it into something that stands out, which is another problem. Individualy, I might have considered every single one a "good" AAR. However, sense we have so many on such a similier range of subjects, they all bleed together. You must make it STAND OUT.

Personaly, my AAR was alot worse then I hoped for. I started it with hopes of getting perhaps three votes, but my style is to write very little, and as such, I had to expand it nearly 200%. This decreased the quality I believe, and as such, I am not advertising it at all, as I don't think it is worthy.

I'm simply very picky when it comes to my AARs. It is more of the subject matter that is borring. It takes a truely talented writer to turn it into something that stands out, which is another problem. Individualy, I might have considered every single one a "good" AAR. However, sense we have so many on such a similier range of subjects, they all bleed together. You must make it STAND OUT.

Personaly, my AAR was alot worse then I hoped for. I started it with hopes of getting perhaps three votes, but my style is to write very little, and as such, I had to expand it nearly 200%. This decreased the quality I believe, and as such, I am not advertising it at all, as I don't think it is worthy.
Extremely valid point, though if you were aiming for that in your first post, I would say you expressed it badly, I thought you were...oh never mind :D

But what you said is true. When 60 writers are vying for a Johan's signature, and 20 are on a single page, one must make their AAR stand out or be lost in the crowd. There might be the best 1,500 story ever written but if it is all one huge column of text, no one might read it. I suppose this is a rule for all AARs. That is why you see custom graphics and different color fonts, to catch that potential voter's eye.

Glad to see us on the same page. And don't worry the race for 3rd, 4th, and 5th, is pretty close, anyone can win ;)

Extremely valid point, though if you were aiming for that in your first post, I would say you expressed it badly, I thought you were...oh never mind :D

But what you said is true. When 60 writers are vying for a Johan's signature, and 20 are on a single page, one must make their AAR stand out or be lost in the crowd. There might be the best 1,500 story ever written but if it is all one huge column of text, no one might read it. I suppose this is a rule for all AARs. That is why you see custom graphics and different color fonts, to catch that potential voter's eye.

Glad to see us on the same page. And don't worry the race for 3rd, 4th, and 5th, is pretty close, anyone can win ;)

Heh, with how mine turned out I don't expect a single vote :D

But yes, the ones with a custom title bar were the first ones I stopped to look at.