• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Monnikje

Secret Agent
99 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
www.gfoto.nl
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
Me, Floris
A 'Mount & Blade: Warband' AAR

033e.png

Welcome to my first MBW AAR. I'm doing this in between working on my very big and not yet released EU3 AAR: this is just a small fun project while I play a little MBW. So don't count on regular updates, and certainly don't count on the updates to be very long.

I'm mirror posting this AAR also on the Taleworlds forum. You can read it over here.

I'm fairly new to the MBW series, so count on me to make a lot of ingame mistakes. But maybe that will make this AAR more interesting. In this spirit I'll play with the option 'save when quit', so there will be no turning back once I totally screw things up. To keep things interesting and fair, I set the the following options:
Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Friends: Normal
Combat AI: Good
Campaign AI: Good
Combat Speed: Normal
Battle Size: 150​
This gives me a difficult rating of 102%. Well, I'll have to see how far I'll get with this.

I started native, without any mods. Later I used the following:
- Since chapter 18 I use the Battle Size Changer to set the maximum battle size to 1000. This raises the difficulty to 203%.
- Since chapter 21 I use the Arena Overhaul mod to make the arena's more interesting.
- Since chapter 27 I use both the More Horses as the More Warhorses mods, to have, like the name says, more types of horses in the game.
- Since chapter 28 I use the Better Banners Mod, along with a custom banner for displaying the true flag of Holland.
- Since chapter 29 I use the Reworked Armors Mini Mod to make some armor more detailed.
- Since chapter 30 I use the Historic Castles Project - the British Isles, in which six castles have been replaced by very good replicas of old British castles.
- Since chapter 32 I use Diplomacy 1.10beta, a mod which gives you not only a wide variety of diplomatic options, but also better ways to manage your kingdom.
- From chapter 33 till 38 I used the Epic Heraldry Mini-mod for Warband 0.65, in which the troops wear the banners of their lords on their cloths and shields.
- Since chapter 35 I use the More Metal Sound Mod V2.1, where the battle sounds are enriched with more metal sounds.
- Since chapter 39 I updated the game to version 1.125, and updated all the mods along with it.
- Since chapter 42 I replaced the town signs with King Floris signs.
- Since Chapter 47 I updated the game to version 1.127, updated the mods along with it, and added the following ones too:
* Faction Arms Coloured v1.0 A minimod where the black and transparent faction arms are coloured.
* Magus Mod v1.7 Restyles and expands the troop trees.
* The Chocolate Box v1.01 Adds a total of 61 new items to the game.
* Utrehd's Castle Pack v.0.32 Quite some castles and cities have been replaced by new models. Unfortunately the download url didn't work anymore, so I took these from El Arte de la Guerra v1.6.
* Utrehd's Music Pack v.0.8 Adds a lot of new and cool music to the game.
* OSP Warband Item Variants v1.6 Adds a total of 529 new items to the game.
- Since chapter 48 I updated the game to version 1.131, and I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack instead of the other mods. Of course still with the Battle Sizer active.
- Since chapter 49 I updated the game to version 1.134, and I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack version 2.3.
- Since chapter 51 I use the Floris Expanded Mod Pack version 2.4.
- Since chapter 56 I didn't use the game anymore (I lost the modded game, unfortunately), and just wrote the story.

Here is a list with chapters:
Introduction, 3 March 1257
Roaming Free
Chapter 1: The merchant, 25 March 1257
Chapter 2: The criminal, 30 March 1257
Chapter 3: The letter, 12 April 1257
Chapter 4: World trade tour, 5 May 1257
Chapter 5: The feast, 20 May 1257
Chapter 6: The spy, 26 June 1257
Count of Swadia
Chapter 7: Peace?, 11 July 1257
Chapter 8: Caravans and a maiden, 1 August 1257
Chapter 9: Relations with Dhirim, 24 August 1257
Chapter 10: Cattle and Caravan, 10 September 1257
Chapter 11: The Rhodoks War, 26 September 1257
Chapter 12: People come and go, 1 November 1257
Chapter 13: A claim has been made, 30 November 1257
Chapter 14: Defensive and offensive, 15 December 1257
Chapter 15: Halmar under attack, 1 January 1258
Chapter 16: Matheld and the wool, 26 January 1258
Margrave of Swadia
Chapter 17: Building support, 1 March 1258
Chapter 18: The sieges, 3 April 1258
Chapter 19: Looking for my companions, 26 April 1258
Chapter 20: Swadia burning, 9 July 1258
Chapter 21: Floris' harem, 21 July 1258
Chapter 22: Sungetche castle, 17 August 1258
King of Holland
War with Swadia
Chapter 23: Vassals wanted, 19 September 1258
Chapter 24: Breaking the enemy, 8 October 1258
War with the Vaegirs
Chapter 25: War and love, 14 November 1258
Chapter 26: The wedding, 21 November 1258
Chapter 27: Join my side, 28 December 1258
Chapter 28: The last of the Vaegirs, 24 January 1259
Peace
Chapter 29: Peacefull trading, 20 March 1259
Chapter 30: Fiefs and lords, 16 April 1259
War with Swadia
Chapter 31: End of Swadia, 19 May 1259
Peace
Chapter 32: Bureaucratic revolution, 10 June 1259
War with the Khergit
Chapter 33: The feast of war, 14 July 1259
Chapter 34: Expansion, 23 July 1259
Chapter 35: I want Radoghir castle, 19 August 1259
Chapter 36: The feasts of Khudan, 10 November 1259
Chapter 37: Blitzkrieg, 15 November 1259
Chapter 38: For pork and chicken, 25 November 1259
Chapter 39: The last march, 2 December 1259
Peace
Chapter 40: Mr. Smith, 10 December 1259
Chapter 41: Industrial Revolution, 12 April 1260
Chapter 42: Meet the Masters, 31 May 1260
Chapter 43: A forebode to war, 8 June 1260
War with the Nord
Chapter 44: Conquering a peninsula, 11 June 1260
Chapter 45: The face of war changed, 14 June 1260
Chapter 46: Last remnants of the army, 20 June 1260
Chapter 47: Change during the truce, 9 July 1260
Hakim's move
Chapter 48: Hakim's peace, 15 September 1260
Chapter 49: Dreams made of snow, 27 December 1260
Chapter 50: Hakim's move, 13 March 1261
The day the world changed
Chapter 51: The training fields, 26 November 1263, 5 AM
Chapter 52: The mystery of the women, 26 November 1263, 7 AM
Chapter 53: Impending crisis, 26 November 1263, almost noon
Chapter 54: The speech, 26 November 1263, 2 PM
Chapter 55: Ride to the Rhodoks, 26 November 1263, 9 PM
The final countdown
Chapter 56: The gathering storm, 5 December 1263
Chapter 57: A deserted kingdom, 12 December 1263
Chapter 58: Conquest of Yalen, 14 December 1263
Chapter 59: Downfall, 15 December 1263
Chapter 60: Rebirth, 16 December 1263
Roaming Free
Epilogue, 3 March 1264

Bonus
Maps of Calradia (separate thread), by Monnikje
Tutorial on old mapmaking, by Monnikje
How to Make your own custom Flag (separate thread), by Alexspeed
M&B LibrAARy, by Monnikje
Faction Arms Coloured, by Monnikje
Floris Mod Pack, by Monnikje

AARs inspired by this one
Redaln of Veré, by Archevious
Sveta Avdotya, by artifex
Dr. Robert - Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Black Death, by Bobsama
The Journey of Illyis Kryr, by Captain_Insano
Edmundus, by Count Edmundus
The Saga of Kelrathus, by Demonwolf
Kellen's Personal Log, by Ikaguia
The Tale of Dragar, by JTDC
By the Lust of Men, by karviteri
Erick, Pagan Bane, by lancecor
The Harrowing Tale of a Wandering Knight-in-Training, by LastCypher
Warriv, by Mixedpotatoes
Doctor Hypolodeas and his failed expiditon, by Mrr.Phil
Evangeline, Nation-Breaker, by Ogrecorps
Me, Wroden, by Sammyboy
Arinbjorn, the Nord warrior, by Ssgt. Griggs
Bjorn Redcliff. A Viking warrior, by Titan357
The Lonely Life of a Hardy Footsoldier, by Zorr

Awards
Winner of the third quarter 2010 ACA, open category.
Character writer of the week on 24 September 2011.

Last edited:
Introduction
3 March 1257

Dear Diary,

For almost 23 years I've travelled the world, sailed the seas and seen strange lands. But for the past few months I've been really lost. I've sailed with several different ships, which have all sunken in different storms. Five times I've been rescued from certain death while clinging to remainders of the ship's debree. I have no clue where these storms have led me. The sun still rises, and the sea is still blue, but the stars all look different. The old constellations I have learned to trust have all disappeared, and new ones blink in the night. I don't know how this is possible: all I know is that I'm very far away from my home.

Home... I haven't been there in 23 years. My dear Holland. For all I know my children and everyone I love must think I'm dead. I don't know if I ever can go back, so it is easier to forget my past and move on to what lies ahead of me. But even after more than two decades, it still hurts how it all ended. My name is Floris IV, former count of Holland. I was born on 24 June 1210 in The Hague, and got count when my father Willem I died on 4 February 1222. Two years later, when I was 14, I married Machteld of Brabant. We got six beautiful children, who must be married adults by now. How I long to see them, and how torn I am knowing that I can't.

My rule ended suddenly at that stupid tournament in Corbie, France, in 1234. I did pretty well, which made quite an impression on Mathildis II of Boulogne. She even wrote me a love letter! That was quite a stupid thing for her to do, since both she and I were both married. I even dined with her husband, Philippe Hurepel de Clermont, when I received that letter. Both he and I were honour bound to duel over this, which we of course did. Unfortunately it all ended up pretty badly. We both got hit: Philippe died on the spot, and I dragged myself out of there. Even though I had won the duel, I couldn't face the rest of the participants of the tournament. So fled. Unfortunately, when I passed through Zeeland, almost home, a storm set up and drove me away. I never saw my home again.

But now things are about to change. I heard from the sailors that we will soon be some kind of land, Calradia, with six kingdoms. Since there is no way I can get back to Holland, I'll have to make the best out of it in this land. I don't know what lies ahead of me, but it can't be much different from what I know back home, can it? I'll be curious to the town the sailors will drop me: it's called Praven, the capital of the kingdom of Swadia. I'll write more when I get there.

000floris.jpg

Gameplay notes
I made the following choices creating the character of Floris:
His father was: An impoverished noble
In his early life he was: A page at a nobleman's court
As a young adult he became: A squire
He left because of: Wanderlust
Here is a picture of Floris' starting stats:
000stats.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 1: The merchant
25 March 1257

Dear Diary,

Finally I arrived on 23 March in Praven. What a welcome I got... First the cold steel from a bandit, who knocked me out: then a warm drink in the local tavern from a merchant. After I regained my conscious and thanked the man for his intervention, he offered me a job. While I was a count back home, I'm nothing over here. I'll have to start from scratch, so I accepted to gather some farmers and head out to save his brother form some bandits. To start out, he gave me 100 denars, apparently the local currency.

001a.jpg

The local merchant of Praven

I travelled the countryside, and discovered that the kingdom isn't that densely populated. I spotted only a few villages, and even less cities. I first travelled to Azgad, where no-one wanted to join me, then to Lyindah, where I found five people to fight for me, and finally to Veidar, where one person wanted to walk besides me. Together we tracked down the bandits that had taken the merchant's brother, and after a short interrogation we headed for their secret lair.

001b.jpg

I rode through the surroundings of Praven

Their secret hideout was hidden near the village of Elbern. On the road towards there more men joined my cause, so I could enter with a small band of farmers around me. I can't call them soldiers yet, although some start to learn. Maybe I'll be able to raise an army in this strange kingdom, and be a count again. Anyway, the next day, on the 24th, I attacked their lair. It was located in a valley: I first cleared the high ground before daring to enter the valley itself. From up there we had quite a good advantage, and managed to eliminate all the kidnappers. The long lost brother was finally free.

001c.jpg

From the higher ground I managed to defeat the bandits.

I immediately returned to Praven, where I arrived the next day. When I collected my reward, the merchant told me that the bandits had help from within the walls: the captain of the watch was corrupt and had let them in. There were still bandits in town, and innocent victims would be kidnapped again unless something was done about it. So he asked if I would lead a small army against these villians, which I gladly accepted. In the middle of the night we stroke, and managed to overpower the unsuspecting bandits. During the day I followed some escaped looters, but in the end all villians were stricken down. The merchant would explain this situation to the king. These were some exciting first three days.

001d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats:
001e.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice start. What will your course of action be during the first few weeks?

Thanks :). I will try to focus on a few things: Trade between cities to get the money to upgrade my equipment and doing missions for Swadian counts to improve my standing with them. And of course collecting peasants to upgrade them to a good army :). Hopefully I'll be able to win a tournament anytime soon, so I could dedicate it to a lady. But well, we'll see.

Chapter 2: The criminal
30 March 1257

Dear Diary,

After I had conducted my business with the merchant, I paid king Harlaus himself a visit. My name had indeed not been mentioned, since I wasn't immediately thrown into jail. As a former count, I knew the ways of the court, and managed to get an audience, event though I was an unknown beggar in his eyes. We got to talk a little and finally he told me that the lawless villain Raurque the Fearless had murdered one of his best captains. This was the perfect opportunity to get myself into a good light, so I offered to track that criminal down and bring him to justice. He was last seen in the town of Yaragar, so I decided that I should go there first.

002a.jpg

King Harlaus asks me to track down a dangerous criminal.

Underway I came by the city of Suna, where I bought some oil. I had heard that it could be sold with much profit in the foreign cities of Jelkala and Ichamur: Jelkala was just down the road from Yaragar, so it would be the perfect combination with my mission from the king. As a poverised noble without earthly possessions I knew that there was only one feasible way to make much money around here: by trade. If I'm to survive the coming weeks, I'll need to find a source of income. This can be it: buying stuff in one city, and riding it to the next.

On the 26th I rode into Yaragar, a small village in the middle of Swadia. I looked around, until I saw a very suspicious man standing around their mill. He kept a close watch on me and my horse, which immediately drew my attention. When I asked him about Raurque, he immediately started to deny the accusations, even before I had uttered them. I didn't need any more proof of his guild, and executed the punishment quickly. It felt like the power I had back home, in Holland. For a moment I was a count again. Unfortunately the villagers weren't that happy about a neighbour being killed in their backyard. I quickly rode on to the kingdom of Rhodoks, where I went to the city of Jelkala.

002b.jpg

I approach the mill with the nervous looking man.

In Jelkala I was just in time to enter the tournament. I was a bit wary, since the last time I had participated in one, my life drastically changed. But well, the worst thing possible had happened: I couldn't think of anything worse happening now than just losing it, which was exactly what happened. In the first round I was knocked out before I could take anyone with me. Since no-one knew me in this kingdom, I couldn't join the feast. How disappointing: I then rode back to Swadia, to report back to king Harlaus.

While on the road, I passed through the city of Uxkhal: a tournament was also held over here, although without the festivities that had accompanied it in Jelkala. I first spoke with count Deliard, and promised him to help him with those forest bandits that troubled the roads lately. Back home I had heard stories about some bandits terrorizing the woods of Nothingham in England: This seemed to be a similar case. but before I went, I participated in the tournament. Even though I was knocked out again in the first round, I took someone with me this time. Recognizing my valour, they allowed me to participate in the second round, where I was hopelessly beaten.

002c.jpg

King Harlaus rewards me for my help.

During the night I rode away, and in the wake of the morning of the 30th of March, I encountered king Harlaus in the field. Immediately I reported my success with the murderer, which pleased him, obviously. I started to gain his trust, since he asked me next if I could deliver a letter to count Haringoth. If I want to gain a title here in this land, I'll need to favour the king as much as possible. Even though it's not the way of a noble to be an errand boy, I accepted the letter. For great justice. But before I rode off to find count Haringoth, I went back to the royal capital of Praven.

002d.jpg

Gameplay notes
002e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 3: The letter
12 April 1257

Dear Diary,

The same day I received that letter, I started to ride towards Dhirim, where count Haringoth was last seen. It was a trip that took me two days. Not only due to the long travelling distance, but also because I fought some looters on the road, and dealt in some wine. Once I arrived in the city, the count was long gone. I asked lady Auberina, present and a little reluctant to receive me, where he could be, but all she could do was point me to some directions. So I went down to the bar to order some drinks, when I met a young lady named Ymira. She had run away from her family to avoid a diplomatic family marriage. How absurd from that lady to renounce her father's will, but better for me. She's quite handy in medical procedures, so I asked her if she could join my small growing army to take care of my men. After she said yes, I of course gave her some more practical clothes than her fancy dress. I'm not hiring her to be a court lady, but to be a field doctor.

003a.jpg

My army grows steady: Ymira is a fine medical addition to the team.

I followed lady Auberina's directions, but count Haringoth was of course not there. Once again I was close to the city of Uxkhal, where I asked for directions. This mission to deliver a letter could become more difficult than I had originally thought. Everytime I would go where this count was supposed to be, he would of course be gone. This depressed me deeply, so I went down to the local tavern. But even there my misfortune wouldn't go away: I was immediately attacked by some drunken guy. I did win, but it seemed like a sign that hope was lost. But in this time of trouble, lady Bela came to me, whispering words of wisdom: 'Listen to me, listen to me.' She pointed out that count Haringoth has his own castle, Haringoth castle: he would probably be there.

I rode all day, but when it became dark, and I could see the castle already in front of me, some local bandits tried to rob me. That was a mistake they wouldn't make twice. Even though the fighting attracted even more bandits, four waves in total, I easily overcame them. But thanks to this delay, count Haringoth was already gone when I entered the castle. Lady Constansis said that he was patrolling the woods, in the direction of Lyindah, so I continued my roadtrip in that direction. On the road I met king Harlaus again. I asked him what he was doing here, in the woods, and he enlightened me:

'Floris,' he said, 'as a king I must be out in the field once in a while. Since my marshal is out on a campaign, it's up to me to secure the land surrounding my capital, Praven.'
'My liege, why don't you let one of your counts patrol the woods and lead your army yourself into victory?'
'To be honest,' the king said a little shy, 'I have no idea where our main army is. I just can't seem to find it. And how can I lead an army I can't find?'

003b.jpg

King Harlaus admits he loses important things sometimes.

This revelation shocked me. How can a king lose his own army? And I mean not by getting it crushed by a superior foe, but because he's unable to find it. This clearly demonstrates that the king is an idiot, and needs to be replaced. I should save the poor people of Swadia from this madman, I should lead them. But I must be careful: if I want to replace the king, I'll need to act cautiously and make friends along the way. Ow, and count Haringoth wasn't around the small village of Lyindah: the king informed me that the count was currently in the city of Suno.

While moving towards Suno, count Regas walked towards me. After some greetings, he told me that the king had given him the mission to find able men for the war against the Khergit Khanate, and seeing my leadership and my skill against the bandits in the woods, he would really like me to join the kingdom. Of course I accepted: this was the opening I was looking for. But he also wanted me to bring him some prisoners of war: knowing that my current army wasn't of sufficient strength to counter a real trained foe instead of some men in the forest, I had to refuse. Then I moved on towards Suno, even though Regas told me count Haringoth was now near Vyincourd Castle: I had to relinquish myself from all the loot I had taken from all those bandits I had killed.

003c.jpg

One of the many battles against the bandits roaming the woods.

Before I reached the city of Suno, I met count Klargus, lord of Suno. We got to talk, and he came up with an interesting proposal: since he had been unable to collect the Suno taxes for quite a while, he asked me to do so. In exchange I was allowed to keep one fifth of the amount. Twenty percent of the taxes from a large city? That would be really a lot. A chance I really should take. So I accepted, and rode the last few miles to Suno, demanding the people to pay up. It took me three days to collect them all. In the meantime I had to deal with unhappy citizens demanding less taxes. They said it was unfairly much. But how else could we finance the kingdom both in times of peace and war? War seems to be the status quo all around these parts, even more than in my home of the Holy Roman Empire. During the tax collecting the kingdom of Nord even declared war on Swadia, and a few days later the Vaegirs followed. In the end I collected 7523 denars, which I immediately used to buy an enormous supply of wine.

As soon as I loaded all the wine on some carts, I left for Dhirim. I had heard that I could sell it with a lot of profit over there. Since I had all those taxes available, I could pay for those many gallons of red delight. I would pay Klargus his taxes after I'd made some profit from it. But I had bought so many wine, that even the combined funds from the market, the horse trader, the arms dealer and the armor shop weren't sufficient to buy it all from me. But before I left to sell the stock that was left in some other city, I participated in the local tournament. Unfortunately I was eliminated pretty quickly in the first round.

003d.jpg

I participated in the Dhirim tournament on 8 April 1257.

But I still had to deliver the letter to count Haringoth. So I asked around and learned that he was now out of the country. So I asked where count Klergus was, whom I should deliver the taxes too: in Suno, his city. So I decided to go to Suno, but not after making a detour through the kingdom of Rhodoks: I had heard that there would be really great business opportunities over there, ones I should certainly abide with the funds currently in my possession. I first travelled to Veluca, a city greatly praised by my loyal medic Ymira: there I sold the remainder of my wine stock. Then I continued to Jelkala, a city renown for its velvet. And that was exactly what I bought. Cheap velvet is something everyone should invest in. Also, I bought some smoked fish and wool cloth.

Immediately I travelled back to Suno, where I sold everything except the velvet. How disappointing was the offer they made over there. But I asked around, again, and learned that the count was back in his castle. So for the second time I travelled over there, where I finally met him, and could finally deliver the letter I was carrying for almost two weeks. Now I'd needed to bring those taxes to count Klergus. but I wouldn't do that before a world trade tour.

003e.jpg

Gameplay notes
003f.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 4: World trade tour
5 May 1257

Dear Diary,

On behalf of count Klargus I had collected taxes, 7523 denars in total, from the city of Suno. But instead of directly bringing it to the count, I had used it to a small extend for my own profit. Does that make myself evil, or just smart? The Lord will decide that when it's my time to go to heaven. But for now I'm using it to gain much wealth. I had discovered the velvet market of Jelkala, and wanted to discover similar spots in the kingdoms beyond. So I decided to go to the Sarranid sultanate and the Khergit khanate, to see what exotic merchandise they have to offer.

From Praven, I rode to Suno and Uxkhal, after which I entered Rhodoks territory and rode to Veluca. From there I crossed the mountains to Jelkala, to get more velvet. Then I followed the coast until I got to the Sarranid Sultanate. I rode to Shariz and headed into the desert, passing Durquba, to end up in Ahmerrad. This entire trip took four days. My oh my, never I've seen such a strange city before in my life. It is completely unlike anything I have seen both back in Holland, France or the Holy Roman Empire, and also unlike any city in Swadia and Rhodoks. I sold my wine, rode to Bariyye and bought really a lot of iron and salt, which was on sale over there.

004a.jpg

Ahmerrad is a city unlike any I've seen before.

After conducting my business, I decided to ride back to the kingdom of Rhodoks, to sell that salt. The trip took quite a while, but wasn't as long as the one I made from Holland to France. Unfortunately, I was attacked by desert bandits just outside of Durquba. My men easily won, that was not the big deal, but my loyal horse was killed. I'm glad that it happened not that far from the city: I'd rather not walk that distance back.

I rode further, and passed through Jelkala, where I bought more cheap velvet. I still hadn't found a good market for them: all over the world people suddenly seemed to lower the velvet prices. But I'm not worrying: the prices will go up again, and then I'll make a huge profit out of it. Also, there was another tournament in Jelkala, in which I participated and couldn't advance any further than round one. Then, on 22 April, I arrived in Yalen and sold the salt and most of the iron with much profit, and headed back for Swadia, only to continue to the Khergit Khanate.

As I rode through the Swadian kingdom again, I made deals in every city I encountered, from Praven till Dhirim. If I hadn't been of noble blood, I would have probably been a merchant: profit seems to be my middle name. In the meantime king Harlaus gave the command of his armies to count Klargus. With this might to the count's disposal, I really should pay his taxes back when I return from the mountains. Upon passing Dhirim, I was very carefull: the city had been conquered by the Vaegirs. No wonder with a king that couldn't find his own army! When I entered the Khergit Khanate, I immediately rode to the city of Halmar. There I met Rolf, from the house of Rolf. I think this self proclaimed 'Baron' is actually a mere peasant with too much attitude, but despite that I can certainly use him: he has quite some tactical insight, which I might need in future campaigns. It's always good to have a general, and in this strange land I can't afford to be picky yet.

004b.jpg

Baron Rolf, from the house of Rolf.

My trade tour went from Halmar to Narra, where I was unfortunately robbed of 382 denars. I wasn't able to slow those bandits down. I sold my ale there, and quickly moved on to Tulga. Spice and Salt were the main export products of this town. Spice was something really new for me: I hadn't seen that on my previous travels before. It's really addictive and strange. Even though the Khergit people normally have brown eyes, they turn blue after eating this substance. Blue in blue, to be exact. I think I should be carefull with it, and sell it as soon as possible.

Then I moved to Ichamur, where more bandits robbed me from 229 denars. The watch should really do something about this nuisance! I exchanged my salt here for wool cloth, and rode back into the Sarranid sultanate, to visit the city of Durquba for the second time. I had heard that wool cloth and spice would sell pretty well over there. It indeed was: I even bought some nice gauntlets from the profit I made over there.

To get maximal profit, I had to ride back to the Khergit Khanate, or so I thought. This time I travelled along the other side of the mountains, and got to Ahmerrad again, where I bought more iron and wool. I also met Artimenner, a skilled engineer. Not only can he help me construct war machines in times of a siege, he also can help me improve the villages that I will one day undoubtedly have under my control. He's a usefull addition to the gang.

004c.jpg

Artimenner wants to join me for a small sum of denars.

After Artimenner had joined my small band, I rode to Tulga again, where I bought a nice shield. Then I rode back to Ichamur, but price I would get for my stuff was utterly disappointing, so I didn't sell anything. But surprisingly I did see an enormous army outside the city walls, like the khanate was preparing for war. And indeed: on 3 May I heard about the Khergit invasion of Vaegirs.

On my way back to Swadia I was robbed for a third time, now in Narra, for 281 denars. Disorientated I moved on to Halmar, where I bought a crude Vaegirs mask. Even though it wasn't as refined as it could be, it was one of the better masks I could find on the market, for a really good price: only 1419 denars. Each city I visit, I start to feel more and more like a real count again. I shred those unappetidal protection I was wearing from me, to be dressed like a real noble again. Maybe that's the reason I was invited to the feast when I arrived in Praven once again. I'll now get dressed and enjoy the first noble party I'll attend in years.

004d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Floris' stats haven't changed since he didn't went up a level. So I'll now show you his equipment:
004e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 5: The feast
20 May 1257

Dear Diary,

I went to the feast in Praven. Even though it was a lot more sober than I was used to in The Hague or any other European court (there wasn't even a minstrel playing a lute!), it was still fun, in a way. There was a lot of ale, which helped with that part. For the rest it was, just like home, mainly a political gathering of counts and their daughters. Since I hadn't penetrated the inner circle of the nobles yet, all I could do was enjoy that ale. But after quite a lot of beers I became more daring, and approached the counts. I spoke to three of them: Clais, Mirchaud and Stamar. Seeing my elevated state, they were of course glad to let me promise to take up some errands. I got stuck with the following missions:

- Count Clais asked me to deliver a message to count Delinard. The moment I woke up, I thought: 'Not again!'
- Count Stamar wanted me to hunt down the notorious Euscarl the Black, who is currently residing in Nomar.
- Count Mirchaud wants me to bring three Nord trained footman as prisoners of war.

But that's not all: I had met count Delinard earlier, and I had promised him to take out some bandits hiding in the forests. Also, I still had to deliver the taxes to count Klergus. A busy month lies ahead of me!

At the feast not only noblemen were present: also young and lustfull women strolled around in the hope to find a future husband. They were all 19 or 21 years old, quite old to still be a maiden. In Holland I married when I was 14, a proper age to get your responsibilities. But I was too drunk to be surprised by this fact. I must admit: I made a fool out of myself. Being drunk, I tried to say to five different girls that I admired them most of all. The first four waved me irritated away, but to my surprise the fifth, lady Gaeta, was actually quite pleased by my manners, drunk or not. This can be interesting for the future: a political marriage will ensure my holdings in this kingdom. But that's for later.

005a.jpg

The feast in Praven is joy and fun, as you can see.

Seeing the tasks that lied ahead of me, I decided to go to Nomar first, and look on the road for tracks that could lead me to the bandit's hideout. I did spot some bandits, but unfortunately my food supply ran out, and I was forced to leave them and go to Uxkhal to replenish. So I quickly went to Nomar, where I easily found that criminal and eliminated him. I reported back to count Stamar in Praven. One mission down.

While I was in Praven, I paid a visit to lady Gaeta. She had even sent a messenger after me to call me to her: she longed to see me. I don't know what her problem is, falling in love with the most drunken man at the court, but I profit gladly from it. Sooth her with a poem, visit her once in a while: in a few months she will be totally nuts for me. I'll see what this will bring me. Before I left the city again, I quickly fought in the tournament held there, but was defeated in the first round. Again.

005b.jpg

I pay a visit to lady Gaeta in Praven.

I still hadn't found a trace of those bandits, so I decided to bring the letter to count Delinard. He was a lot more easy to find than count Haringoth: I knew that he was residing in the city of Uxkhal, and when I got there, he was still there. I think I like therefor Delinard better than Haringoth: at leas I can find Delinard easier.

The bandits were still nowhere to be seen, so I rode on and on, until I came to the village of Ibaran. There I heard the peasants complaining about regular raider attacks. They asked my help: if I could only train a few of them to withstand the attacks, they would be able to defend their village in case of a raid. I decided to help them. During the training, I heard about a Swadian lord fighting a Nord noble. When I sent some scouts ahead, I learned that both jarl Marayirr and count Rafard were fighting each other, so I decided to jump in and help the count. Together we had three times the amount of troops as the enemy. I used my horse to charge around his army, and ride-by attack many of his archers with my axe while the rest of our troops engaged them on the front. This tactic worked splendid. Even though jarl Marayirr escaped, I managed to capture one Nord footman. I intended to hunt down the other two I needed, but that soon proved unnecessary: right after my victory, the kingdoms of Nord and Swadia made peace.

005c.jpg

As I approach the enemy, I circle around them and attack them from behind.

The same moment I received news about the peace, I also heard that lady Gaeta wanted to see me again. Another feast was held in Praven, with another tournament attached. Of course I didn't win it, but this time I advanced to the second round. I hope to one day get to the third, and maybe climb further until I get to the end. Anyway, I rode of course back to Praven, to not only see the lady and fight in the tournament, but also enjoy another big Praven party. This time king Harlaus was present. As I walked through the party, I recounted the mission status for the past time:

- I have successfully delivered the message from count Clais to count Delinard.
- I have successfully killed the murderer Euscarl the Black.
- While I was working on capturing Nord footmen, the war was over and the mission was cancelled.
- I should destroy the bandit's lair, but haven't found it yet. With just a few days to spare, I don't think I will.
- I still need to bring the taxes to count Klergus.

While thinking about this, the king took me apart and told me he had a delicate matter: in Khudan, a Vaegir city deep in their territory, he has a spy. He needs to get the report, and wants me to ride hence and forth to get it for him. This is a great opportunity: maybe he will grant me with land after this. I'll prepare immediately for my departure.

005d.jpg

Gameplay notes
At this moment the game has been updated to version 1.113.
005e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 6: The spy
26 June 1257

Dear Diary,

On 20 May I got on a feast in Praven the mission from king Harlaus to go to his spy in the city of Khudan and bring back whatever information he has. This would be difficult, since the city's laying deep in Vaegir territory. I had got a month, so it was feasible to go there and contact that spy. Since there has been a recent peace treaty between Swadia and Nord, I decided to travel to this kingdom. But not after I finished the training of the villagers of Iridan. This was more difficult than I had anticipated: I wanted to learn them how to loose, but they just kept on winning! Why did they need me to train them if they are so good already, I wondered. But still I managed to finish their training in time, since on 23 May Iridan was under attack by bandits. Thanks to the help from those villagers, I was able to drive them off. Unfortunately my horse was killed: the second horse I lost these past two months.

After making the villagers happy, I moved to the Nord city of Tihr on foot: There I bought a new horse, and rode to the other Nord cities of Sargoth and Wercheg. Then I rode along the coast to the last Nord village, Ruvar, to try to sneak behind enemy lines. I first rode towards the training field, to avoid being spot from Bulugha castle. When I was halfway between Mazen and Unidiad, I was attacked by some sea raiders, but despite their aggressiveness, their small bands were no match for my army. I rode on, passing the origin of the river, and rode through the forests towards Khudan. I camped in the woods for a few days, to allow everyone's wounds to be healed. Then I waited till it was night, not to alarm the boyars present in the city. It was time to sneak in.

006a.jpg

I took a long detour through Vaegir territory to avoid detection by hostile armies.

No-one knew me over here, so it wasn't that hard to sneak in unseen. Disguised I walked around town, only to realise that at night everyone was sound asleep. So I went to the market, and kept an eye on all business until it was dawn. Unfortunately I didn't see any profitable deals, maybe because I also didn't see any people around this night. But the next morning I walked around town, and asked the code phrase king Harlaus taught me to every person I encountered, until I met the spy. He gave me the secret reports, which I now only had to hand over to the king. But before I left, I heard about a tournament being held in Khudan, so I stayed a little longer and joined the fight. Of course I was knocked out the first round, but well, I had to try anyway, hadn't I?

006b.jpg

The third person I asked was the spy. I guess I was lucky.

When I tried to leave the city, I was seen. Many men followed me, but luckily Rolf came up with a plan. I had to leave eight men, but would be able to flee. Unfortunately they caught up with me, and leaving eight more men behind didn't help: I had to engage in a fight with overwhelming odds against me. In the meantime Rolf complained that he didn't like leaving those men behind, with the plan he had devised. Well, no-one can be happy. I wasn't glad with the outcome of the battle, since I obviously lost: I was knocked unconscious, and even though my men continued to fight a little after, I was taken prisoner by boyar Taisa.

He dragged me along towards the village of Tismirr, where he was attacked by a Khergit force. In the heat of battle I managed to escape, but not without loss of money, my nice helmet, my horse, my sword and some velvet I was still carrying. And I also had lost track of my companions and my entire army. I was alone, on foot, and had to run to the Khergit border while the Vaegirs were distracted.

006c.jpg

During the Vaegir-Khergit battle, I managed to escape.

In the Khergit khanate, I ran towards the city of Ichamur, the closest one. There I bought some steppe horses. I might have had some misfortune, but that wouldn't stop me from trading again, now I'm in this northern land. I was already close to Tulga, which sold spice and salt pretty cheap: I knew I could sell that very well in the Sarranid city of Ahmerrad, which sold both iron and tools for a good price. Without men and with those extra horses, I rode really fast. I rode seven times back and forth between those two cities in twenty days, which made a profit of 26,786 denars for me. When Ahmerrad ran out of money, I sold more in Durquba. My loss of men was maybe a terrible thing to happen to me, but it forced me to trade in foreign countries and become rich. In the meantime Swadia made peace with the Vaegirs, and war with the Rhodoks. I also met Jeremius, a very good surgeon, who wanted to help me in the field. I'm glad I let him join my side, since he was even better than Ymira.

After I concluded my business in the north, I went back to Praven to visit lady Gaeta once again. But unfortunately king Harlaus wasn't home: he was fighting in the kingdom of Rhodoks. With my current army (me and Jeremius), I didn't dare to go there, so I just rode between Praven, where I bought ale, and Suno, where I bought wine: transporting liquid is a lucrative business too. But I soon heard that he was heading back to Praven, so I waited there a few days until he arrived. He was really pleased with the reports I brought back, even though the war was over. It was this moment I swore loyalty to his crown, and became a vassal of the kingdom of Swadia. As a reward I became lord of the village Emerin.

006d.jpg

Gameplay notes
It was irritating to not know how many peasants I had already trained: I lost many of the fights and at a certain moment I had no idea anymore if I was almost there or would have to train a lot more.
006e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 7: Peace?
11 July 1257

Dear Diary,

On 26 June I swore my loyalty to king Harlaus of Swadia. As a reward, he bestowed me with the village of Emirin. After I had heard that, I went out to have a look at it. I rode through the entire Swadian kingdom, only to find it at the far edge of it, just beside Dhirim. Unfortunately that city was just recently conquered by the Rhodoks. Not the most ideal place to rule over. But well, I had to manage.

007a.jpg

My small village of Emirin was lying almost next to Dhirim. Normally a fortunate location, but not now.

It wasn't too save for me to remain in my own village, so I returned to Praven, where I joined another tournament. This time I was knocked out in the second round. When I spoke to king Harlaus, he told me he needed more men: he wanted six man-at-arms. He would be very pleased if I would train them for him. That would of course be no problem for me: after the king gave me six recruits, I went to the training grounds. There I trained with them until they were all promoted to men at arms. When I returned to Praven, I encountered some bandits. I was only with eight men, while they were with twenty-two. With my axe ready I rode around them, and slew many men by just riding by and slicing them in two. The main trick was to avoid being stopped by someone standing in front of me then I would've been cornered by several men and slain.

When I returned to Praven, the guild master of that city was very fond of me. Those bandits had raided many caravans, and were a nuisance all along. He rewarded me accordingly, and pointed out to me that those bandits were not the biggest problem: the war between Swadia and Rhodoks is. They would give a lot to end it. Unfortunately two lords, one on each side, opposes a peace treaty. If I could only convince them to stop their warmongery attempts, the war would end and Praven would be saved from an imminent bankruptcy. In the meantime I sent the six man-at-arms to the king, to serve his needs. He said to me, I quote: 'I don't have enough troops, and I need to get some more. I must attend to this matter before I worry about the affairs of the realm.' I tell you, that king is unfit. I should replace him as soon as possible.

007b.jpg

The war is hindering Praven, and they are prepared to do everything to end it.

I had heard from the king that count Devlian was in Haringoth castle, so I rode there as swiftly as I could and tried to persuade him. Unfortunately, he was deaf for reason, and I couldn't pull a favour: this was the first time we met. So there was no other option than to bribe him for 7160 denars. This was one count down, now I only had to track down count Tarchias of Rhodoks and force him into this peace settlement. That would be a big problem with only Jeremus at my disposal, so I walked around some villages, recruited 10 peasants and trained them on the training grounds until they were full-blown man at arms. It took me three days, but it was worth it.

After the training was completed, I passed the bridge near Haringoth and entered Rhodoks territory. I avoided the small passes with castles like Maras castle and Culmarr castle: instead I followed the river to the sea, and then followed the coastline. I passed the village of Istiniar, and avoided Glunmar. Then I saw Ilvia, but instead went to the city of Yalen. But count Tarchias wasn't there. So I moved on to Jelkala. He wasn't there, so instead I bought quite a lot of velvet, which I wanted to sell at Veluca. While I'm in hostile territory, I can make myself usefull by trading and earning a lot of money. but when I approached that city, half the Rhodoks army was residenting there, including the king. I bravely ran away away, and managed to outrun all those hostile counts following me. But I hadn't had a clue where count Tarchias could be.

After outrunning the enemy army, I noticed a battle raging between the Swadian count Despian and the Rhodoks count Falsevor. I joined in, and proved to be the tip that bounced the balance to Swadian victory. After this victory I proceeded to Uxkhal, where I bought a new horse: a heavy charger. Now my enemies would really tremble before me once I ride towards them. I trembled across the landscape. From castle till castle, I rode to search for count Tarchias, until I suddenly found him close to the village of Chelez: he had just fought with the Khergit noyan Urubay, and was severely weakened. I couldn't have wished for more: I thus approached him.

007c.jpg

When I finally found count Tarchias, he was already weakend. 7 July 1257 must be my lucky day.

When we met, I asked him to stop sabotaging the peace negotiations. He was inspired by my words - and no doubt also by the man at arms standing behind me - but not convinced. So in the end I winded up paying him 1460 denars. I spend quite a lot of money on brides, but the reward was still greater, or so I thought. Before I reached Praven, Swadia and Rhodoks made peace, and the entire operation became null and void. In the end I got no reward! But well, I still got some good soldiers from it.

007d.jpg

Gameplay notes
007e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 8: Caravans and a maiden
1 August 1257

Dear Diary,

Today I don't write this entry from my usual tavern room in Praven, but instead from the Nord city of Dhirim, formerly Swadian. It's closer to my own village of Emerin, and the most recent stop of my journey the past month. A little while ago I realised something very important: if I want to take over control in these lands, I need people to support me. not only the nobles, but also the cities. If they side with me, allow me to enter whenever I like and provide me with all the support I need, who are the kings to oppose me? I'll take over Swadia, and if that seems impossible, I'll found a new kingdom.

At the beginning of July I had a big disappointment in Praven: I was asked to arrange a peace settlement, but when I finally came back, they didn't pay up. Nevertheless I tried to help the folks again. Call me naive, but my revenge will one day be sweet. I promised the guild master on my return to eliminate some looters. Although I fought off a few bands, I didn't find all of them. To be honest, I didn't search extensive for them. I found my relations with other cities more important, after the debacle with the peace settlement.

008b.jpg

Along my loyal man-at-arms and even a few knights I ride into battle to kill some looters.

From Praven I rode to Suno, but they were still not that fond of me. No wonder, I still hadn't given their tax money to their lord, who was now missing in action: he probably spend these days in a prison far away from here. So I moved on, to Uxkhal. They seemed to be ok with me, and asked me if I could escort a caravan to the Vaegir city of Rivalech. Of course I agreed to do that: what could happen on a quiet trip? I only had to ride along and fight off some bandits, heal my wound and move on. Technically that was true. But still it was a more difficult mission than I had anticipated. The moment I entered Vaegir lands, bandits tried to attack the caravan. I fenced them all away, but there was no time for my men to heal their wounds. The moment I defeated the first group of bandits, the second almost immediately jumped on top of us. And the third, and so on. After eight waves of attack we finally reached the city of Rivalech. We made it, but it hadn't been easy.

When I rode back, I passed the city of Dhirim. Since it's neighbouring my own town, I decided to have a look and ask the local guild master what's up lately. He told me that the daughter of a local merchant had been kidnapped, and been brought to Azgad, a small town near Praven. I knew I couldn't trust those Pravens, and especially the king. It had been arranged that a ransom would be paid: they only needed someone to take it there. Who would I be to object to that? I took the money, and rode off, passing Uxkhal once again. There I asked if thy needed a hand too, and heard they needed another caravan protected: this time to Sargoth.

008b.jpg

The guild master of Uxkhal asks me to escort a caravan to Sargoth.

The route to Sargoth was a little out of the way, but well, I accepted anyway. First things first, so I took the caravan and drove them all the way to Azgad. There was plenty of time, so why wouldn't I catch two flies in one stroke? The caravan master did question the route, but after I told him this one was safer than a direct road, he stopped bugging me. He had obviously heard of the trouble I had on my road to Rivalech, and didn't want to get involved in more battles than necessary.

Once we gotten to Azgad, I gave the kidnappers the money without a fuzz. It wasn't my money, and not even my girl, so why would I fight over it? I was just the delivery boy, upping my standing in Dhirim by doing this. The bandits obviously sensed this, since we concluded our deal without any problem. I gave them the money, they gave me the girl. Everyone's happy, especially since I took her on a little tour.

008c.jpg

I had dragged the kidnapped girl along to Sargoth.

Even though I got the girl, I still had to deliver a caravan. I had dragged it along to Azgad, so it wasn't more than fair to take the girl with us to Sargoth. I could have sold her to a slave trader and made some good money for her, but that wouldn't do me much good back home. Dhirim is pretty close to my own village. So I took care of her, and after saying goodbye to the caravan, I rode back to Dhirim, where I am now. The girl is home safely, and a new month has begun I'll await what awaits me this time, since my standing with the cities is not yet perfect. They are still indifferent about me, while they should be hailing me like I'm the second coming. Which I am, obviously, but they need to know that too.

008d.jpg

Gameplay notes
008e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 9: Relations with Dhirim
24 August 1257

Dear Diary,

Today I write once again from my usual room in Praven, sitting in a room next to one of Artimenner and Jeremus. They are debating once again Jeremus' medical skills. Why can't they stop? They know I'm writing in my journal, which is more important than any feud they might have. Anyway, the past month I've been riding hence and forth to improve my standing with the citizens of Dhirim. As the closest major city and a major provider of iron, it's worthwhile having them as friends. So I did the lowest peasantry jobs those citizens could imagine the past two weeks.

It started with driving cattle forward to the Sarranid city of Shariz. Can you imagine it? Me, count Floris IV of Holland, driving cattle like an ordinary peasant? But still I did it, only to get in favour with the local populace. In the beginning it was more difficult than I had imagined, since the cows didn't want to go where I wanted to drive them. But after some practice I knew what to do, and managed to deliver them in that desert town.

009a.jpg

Driving cattle forward can be a tedious task.

After I had delivered the cattle, there were some merchants that required my services. I really felt like a hired blade, prostituting my noble services to the common people. But there is no other alternative, so I'll let it be. I escorted caravans to Ahmerrad, Shariz and Khudan, and killed quite a few bandits on the road. I only couldn't find those desert bandits that had been troubling the merchants of Dhirim. The good thing about these caravans is the possibilities it gives me for trade. And while I was conducting this business, I asked Artimenner to build a school in my village of Emirin. That will raise my status over there, and hopefully my name will be wider known.

After I had escorted all these merchants, I decided to go to Praven. On the road I picked up another caravan from Uxkhal, which I had to bring to Bariyye. When I rode to Suno, I finally met count Klargus again, and paid up the taxes I had inned from Suno. Of course I got my reward, but actually my reward had been the exploit of this tax money. No point in telling him that, so I just gave it to him. With the wars he was glad I paid up: he hadn't expected it anymore, not with him being imprisoned previously.

009b.jpg

Finally, after such a long time, I was able to pay up count Klargus' taxes.

In Suno I was asked to deliver ale to Veluca, and in Praven they had no job for me. The were a little irritated by my misfortune during the previous errand, and didn't trust me enough to sent away on another mission. Aw well, then I'd prove myself to other cities instead. I rode immediately to Veluca to deliver some ale, which was much appreciated by both the local tavern as the people of Suno.

Then I rode on to buy some velvet in Jelkala, and moved deep into Sarranid territory, to go to their farthest city: Bariyye. When I was almost there, marshal Delinard sent a message that he wanted me to report to his army, station near Suno. So after I conducted my business in Bariyye, I rode like hell back to the Swadian city of Suno, to join the army. Joining the army can be a good way to show the nobles my strength. While I rode back, I finally found those desert bandits that had been troubling the merchants of Dhirim.

009c.jpg

Those desert bandits couldn't appreciate my good standing with the Dhirim officials.

On my way to Suno, where the marshal was seen lastly, I walked by Dhirim, where they asked me to escort a caravan to Veluca. I took the merchants, and rode instead to Suno. But first I passed Uxkhal, where I joined a tournament. I managed to get to round four for the first time. I'm getting better, and back up to the strength I had in France. Maybe I'll win a tournament soon. Unfortunately count Delinard was long gone by the time I got to Suno, so I rode on until I got to Praven, where I'm now writing this entry. Tomorrow I'll move to Veluca, to deliver the merchants form that caravan that awaits me outside the gates. These tasks can be a burden sometimes.

009d.jpg

Gameplay notes
009e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter 10: Cattle and Caravan
10 September 1257

Dear Diary,

Today I write from my own castle. It's so good to have my own room waiting for me. Last month I was still in Praven, where they didn't like me very much. That changed after I hired Nizar. Not because of him, but after I left the tavern and got his service, I did something about my standing in the Swadian capital. I had encountered this Sarranid man lost in the tavern, looking for a job, which I was glad to provide him. With his help, I managed to drive some Praven cattle to Reyvadin, but not directly: via a detour along Veluca, where I dropped off the caravan that had been following me to Praven. It must have been a strange sight: almost a hundred cows running through the fields, the woods and even the mountains, followed by a small military company with people form all over the six kingdoms, to be concluded by a group of a dozen merchants riding with a lot of valuables. The peasants from the villages we passed all walked out to see us pass by. After I had dropped of the merchants in Veluca, I rode with the cattle to Vaegir lands.

010a.jpg

Cows, soldiers and merchants: a strange combination.

While I drove the cattle from the kingdom of Rhodok through Swadia, a messenger from king Harlaus reached me: he had decided to give the freshly conquered Uhhun Castle, and the village of Uhhun, to me. I knew it would pay off to have a good relationship with the king. It's the most Nordic territory from Swadia, but given the fact that Emirin is quite north too, that's not a big deal. I now know that my rebellion will have to focus around the area of Dhirim. I'll need to get lords from other kingdoms also behind me, if I want to establish a good base of operations there.

Anyway, I drove the cattle onward, and decided to visit to the lands of Uhhun after I'd went to Reyvadin. Reyvadin lay on the route to Uhhun. While I rode onwards, I realised that it might be a mistake to rely too much on the Swadian king. He has already proven to be weak and egocentric, but the land I would claim as my own his influence was sparse. I would need to track down all the lords from the lands around Dhirim, and appease them.

On the route I had hired a young girl, Klethi. That might have been a mistake, since she was sniffing around in Artimenner his stuff, trying to steal some of his blueprints. So I sent her off to Khudan: she seemed to have some connections there. Keeping her and Artimenner separated might be the best course of action. Also, Swadia and Rhodok went to war again. I guess I won't be visiting Jelkala anytime soon. When I arrived in Uhhun, I immediately ordered Artimenner to build a school there too. In the long run, that will be the best course of action. And in the castle I ordered him to build a prison tower. If I want to become the supreme ruler of Calradia, I'll need to be able to imprison everyone who opposes me until they see the wisdom in worshipping me, Floris. Also I garrisoned some of my best troops in the castle, to take some more inexperienced ones with me: I'll need to train them, to shape them into a battle hardy force to oppose any thread that might endanger my claimant on the throne.

010b.jpg

My newest additions: Uhhun castle and village.

After I had delivered the caravan to Shariz, I returned to Praven. On the road I hired recruits from all kingdoms, except Rhodoks: since Swadia was at war with them, it wouldn't seem wise to intrude there at the moment. My goal with the recruits was to train them all in three different disciplines: archery, cavalry and infantry. I'd find out who would be best in each, best suited for castle defence and for riding along my side. When I'll have found that out, I'll hire more specialized men from all around Calradia, to build an army no kingdom can oppose. But first I had to find out who the lords ruling in my claimed area were.

010c.jpg

The area I claim, encircled with a red line.

While I rode from village to village, from city to city, from castle to castle, I learned who ruled where. Now I'll be able to search for those specific lords, and gain favour with them. And maybe I'll be able to point king Harlaus into conquering some of these places, and giving them directly under my control. While inquiring I fought off some bandits raiding a few villages: the people around here will like me, no matter what. Now I have a day off in my own castle, before I'll start the quest to appease all those different lords.

010d.jpg

Gameplay notes
010e.jpg

Last edited: