• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nothing like a good little piece of intrigue.

I'll say - a little of the old you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I hope Jan does not get tangled up in that affair. Would JP Kooerne do something and then try to blame it on his foe?

prussiablue said:
Jan Krompkamp remained motionless and wondered just how far this guy would go for the ultimate prize in nVOC.

do you think that we have to stay tuned to find out? hmmm. i agree! :D

excellent update! :cool:

An Anonyomous Affair

He has been here for nearly three hours, surveying the surroundings while waiting for his prey. Tonight the weather has turned cold and he is very annoyed by this but the bush he hides in did help shield him from the cold wind of the North Sea.

Clean and shaved, his fingers start nipping at the grass in perfect concert as an image of bloody corpses starts appearing in his mind. He craves the taste of blood and the very thought of his victims lying on the floor begging for mercy makes him so excited that he contemplates drawing his dagger to cut his own flesh.

For the man knows known as Khalid Bouza, the Dutch occupation of Morocco is the best thing that happened to him. An orphan and nameless since young, he had grown up in the streets of Rabat witnessing countless mugging and fighting. It is no wonder, under this sort of environment that the kid grows up to be a mugger himself.

He has no friend, no name only permanent interests. Those that which to address him simply call him “hei” or sometime in more courteous manner “boy”. A small time mugger until one day when his accidentally killed a young father over two loaf of bread. Instead of fear and remorse, he felt rejuvenated with the murder. From that moment he knows he found his calling. And to complement his cynical mind, he not only took the life of that young innocent man but his name as well.

And so this is the Khalid Bouza that the world knows today, the same one that board the ship from the shore of Tangiers to the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam, the same Khalid that now is about to execute his latest assignment.

His latest assignment was offered to him by an unknown man in a local pub few days ago. The man claims to have his contact from a previous client’s of his. Khalid couldn’t care less. He needs the money and he needs his thrill. The assignment was interesting but not unusual and besides this short man pays really well.

As Khalid eyes roam the surrounding of the cottage, he heard the sound he has being waiting for. Finally he arrived, ten minutes after her.

Dennis Koorne’s carriage stopped just a few steps away from the cottage. A lovely place that he has bought a few months ago just for one purpose and this cottage has duly served its purpose well.

He saw the light beaming from inside the house as he steps out of his carriage. A gentle knock on the door was answered by the loveliest voice he ever heard, belonging to no other than Isabel Fabrice-Alweys.

Once inside, Dennis couldn’t keep his hand away from the softest body he ever held. “Wait, Dennis”, Isabel says as she tried to break away from his hug with a gentle laughter. “Let’s eat first. I have asked the maid to prepared your favourite”.

“Well you know my favourite is cream de la tu,” as Dennis try to unbutton Isabel’s blouse. “Don’t worry dear, we have plenty of time for that later”, Isabel slips away.

Over dinner, they talk, like most of the other night when they are together in the cottage or “Love Cottage” as Dennis likes to call it. Dennis would update her on how he spent his days being boss around in the PM’s office whilst Isabel would chat away with how her days were spent thinking about him and longing to be with him.

It has all begun in the gala thrown by the company to celebrate Dennis’ brother appointment as the new chairman of NOAC. Dennis knows it is wrong to court another’s man wife but once he let go of his moral shield, he was free to love the only woman he ever wanted. Isabel, a stunning beauty on her part, never really loved a husband 30 years older than her. Their marriage was more of a convenience than a real marriage for Isabel’s father a Flemish businessman, has incurred a mountain of debt during First Benelux War and Robert Alweys has stepped in with an intention to clear his debt. Naturally Isabel would be and have been the chattel in this bargain.

Khalid has been watching all this time from the side of the window. Still he waits for his chance to pounce and the chance duly arrive when Isabel cleared the dining table and walked towards the kitchen.

As with his other assignments, Khalid carried out his plan meticulously. In accordance to his plan, Khalid had already unlocked the kitchen door two hours ago. Sensing his opportunity when he saw Isabel started clearing the dining table, he has sneaked into the corner of the kitchen hiding behind the huge water container pail.

Like a shadow that lurks in the corner, he waited for the right moment to pounce. With a single thrust, the sharp dagger in his left hand should stab right into the heart of his victim. He waited and waited as his heartbeat started drumming louder and louder. “Now”, he said to himself.

Isabel was just about to reach for the water pail when she heard Dennis shouted “Darling, come quick, I have something to show you”. She turned upon hearing this followed by a loud cry.

Khalid couldn’t adjust with the sudden change of movement. The dagger landed on the back of Isabel. Should enough the thrust was hard but the stab was not fatal. Isabel’s cry alerted Dennis who came running into the kitchen.

Khalid recovered and yanked the dagger out before turning Isabel around. He heard the sound of footsteps approaching but that does not concern him. For the first time he saw his victim from close proximity, indeed a ravish beauty, he thought.

His appreciation was interrupted by a sudden shout of “No, I beg you whoever you are, No..”. Khalid stares at Dennis with a sinister smile before he thrust the dagger with full might into the stomach of Isabel.

( :eek:o OOC : I know I might have sidetracked from the main story of this AAR. But I promise once this sub-plot is finished, it will be action all the way, I hope!!).

Last edited:
prussiablue said:
...I know I might have sidetracked from the main story of this AAR...

i would think that the selection of the DG is of primary concern to the AAR. :confused:

also, this is still "action", just not the ordinary AAR action.

nice update! :cool:

Taking care of the problem, all right. And rather underhandly at that. :eek:

A rather direct method of resolving the difficulty. I wonder if perhaps this is hinting at a Political Assassination event or somesuch.

Ghostwriter – Well, the selection of DG is not the primary concern of this AAR. Is more of a characters introduction/building part of this AAR.

BBBD – Maybe just maybe the wonder of modern medicine might save her, but wait have the Dutch discover medicine? I made no promise.

Stnylan & Coz1 – Yes, perhaps a bit direct but I have to make haste. Why?

Over the course of writing this AAR, it occurred to me that I may not want this AAR to stretch to over 15-20 pages (depending on your supports, of course :p ). No, don’t get me wrong, I love epic and to all of you out there who writes so much you have my total respect. It just that I don’t think I have enough gas to last the distance. Certainly being my maiden AAR, I feel that I still have a lot to learn.

Secondly, at the pace the story is developing, this could really be a long AAR. I still have a lot of events to cover. It could be a case to me being anxious to share with you the Dutch “adventures”. :D

Thirdly, as mentioned earlier, there is a bug that I am trying to de-bug. Unfortunately, no such luck. I have to replay the whole game and so far the bug has not appeared. This replay however forced me to alter the game plan significantly as all of you will find out soon.

Thanks for your readership and comments.

prussiablue said:
GhostWriter – Well, the selection of DG is not the primary concern of this AAR. Is more of a characters introduction/building part of this AAR...

understood. and i agree. however, my words were "i would think that the selection of the DG is of primary concern to the AAR."

i consider the episode very interesting: a delight to read. :D

Page 121, Netherlands under the House of Orange by Wim de Kok, former editor of Amsterdam Post

With the re-unification complete, the Regent finally acceded to the request of his ailing father and loyal subjects to ascend to the throne. The coronation process held in the Royal Palace in Dam Square was attended by all the ruling monarchs in Europe save for the French whom for obvious reason was represented only by their Foreign Minister. It is on this memorable day that Europe and the rest of the world witness the emergence of a new dynasty.

But history will forever remember this day for another reason for even as the new King Willem III, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg was paraded before a jubilant and screaming crowd in the street of Amsterdam, a direct kind of scream was heard rampantly elsewhere in the newly-occupied territories.

The Special Branch was a special unit formed under the direction of the new King just before the signing of the annexation agreement. The infamous SB as it’s widely known now was formed for the sole purpose of terrorizing families and friends of former Flemish Nationalist leaders whom advocated the secession in the early 1830s. It’s a fact that SB members were mostly comprised of thugs and hooligans.

On this dark day of 13-5-1848, the SB launched its worst attack by far on the streets of Brussels and Antwerp. Hundreds of people, including neighbors and friends of former Flemish leaders were dragged onto the streets for public flogging and others demeaning punishment.

Whilst less well-known than the 1938 Nazi’s “Crystal Night” attack, the aftermath bores the same deep scar that will forever remain with the victims’ family and all civilized people alike in what was once Belgium.

The Army and other law enforcers were given strict instruction by the King not to interfere. Cries of sorrow and screams of fear can be heard through out the night. By the morning, major cities like Brussels and Antwerp were littered with corpses mostly beyond recognition. Families and friends alike scout the street hopefully to find the remains of their love ones. Alas, most can’t.

Around the globe, leaders condemn this heinous attack and demand justice for the victims’ families. Even King William III realizes the SB has gone too far and issues a immediate order to arrest the leaders of the SB whom by now are already on board the ship that sail away last night to an unknown destination.

The appeasement attempt failed miserably. Even the Dutch themselves are ashamed of this savage attack and several notable leaders were quick to distance themselves from the King whom is fast losing the plot. Rather surprisingly, the newly appointed Foreign Minister Simon Blays was the first leader to condemn this attack.

Over the course of the weeks that follow, the Free Belgium movement begins to gain momentum with the now exiled King Leopold II setting up his royal court in Paris. All over Belgium, the people revolted and held mass demonstration day in day out demanding independence. The Free-Belgium cause was further given a great boost by Emperor Napoleon III, whom initiated a conference in Paris to discuss the future of Belgium.

The leaders of the Big Four (France, Prussia, Austria and United Kingdom) were unanimous that the Netherlands had breach their promise to treat all citizens alike when they gave the Netherlands their consent to reunify the Benelux.

How fast the table has turn. A special envoy from UK was appointed in the Conference to negotiate with King William III to find a solution to this crisis. The position taken by the Big Four, notably UK is simple. The Netherlands is to grant independence to Belgium and recognize her as a sovereign and independent state and in return United Kingdom is willing to guarantee the independence of the Netherlands (obviously for fear of French retaliation). To rub salt into the wound, King William III must abdicate his throne in favour of his daughter.

After consultation with his government, King William III realized he has no alternative but to go down as the shortest-reign monarch yet in modern history.

(OOC : As all of you are aware, I have to replay the whole game and there is no way I can get around the Treaty of London event like last time (boy am I lucky, then). So I have to come up with a story to justified the break-up :( .

Actually I think that is quite a good working around of that problem. Are there any other particular changes? Let's hope there is no bug in this game.

prussiablue said:
OOC : As all of you are aware, I have to replay the whole game and there is no way I can get around the Treaty of London event like last time (boy am I lucky, then). So I have to come up with a story to justified the break-up :(

the story (and results) is acceptable, but to me, just an explanation that the game was restarted would also have been acceptable. (do i remember correctly that your "lucky" result last time was a 5% event?)

bummer result, excellent AAR! ! ! :cool:

Ahh, that had to hurt. Here you just went to all that trouble to unify and then it justs breaks it up again. However, without that, I imagine war with France was probably in your future, so...six of one, half dozen of the other, I suppose.

I'm with Stnylan! I think it was a very well done explanation for how defeat could be snatched from the jaws of victory... The best laid plans of mice and men, eh?

In the game of power politics, there are winners and there are losers... And often one days' winners are the next days' losers.

Good job! Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Rensslaer

An Anonymous Affair - Partie Deux

In a flash it was all over. Dennis being a professional trained doctor has seen those eyes before. A dying man unable to accept he is about to leave behind the world he so adored.

He was only three feet away from Isabel he saw her final stare. Forgoing all sense of danger he rushed to catch her falling body as Khalid yanked the dagger away. The assassin remained nonchalant. It gives him a huge amount of pleasure to witness another person grieves. After all he has time on his side and his next prey is not going anywhere.

“Why..why” a sobbing Dennis shouted while clinging to the still warm body.

“ I am not paid to answer question, I am here to execute the infidels”.

“You bastard”, Dennis yelled as he reached out for the rolling bat on the kitchen table and swing with all his might towards the Arab. The effort failed miserably. Khalid was able to evade the attack and immediately landed a strong kick on Dennis’ stomach.

The doctor felled, his body crashed onto the wooden cabinet at the side of the kitchen. Pleasure over, Khalid pounced on Dennis like a lightning cat. His strong left arm holding down Dennis right hand while the whole weight of his body now falls upon Dennis.

He produced the dagger and slowly draws it closer to Dennis’ right eyeball. Instantly Dennis stopped his struggle as fear looms over him. “ You know, sometimes I fancy boys as well, oh yes man, woman, boy, girl, I have no problem with that. You’re a pretty thing yourself”, Khalid mumble softly into the left ear of Dennis as he licked the sweat falling from side of Dennis head. “Look at you, are you scared, my little one? No, perhaps I should lower my hand here so that your eye can see better.” The point of the dagger is known just less than one inch away from Dennis right eye as which point Dennis let out a soft cry.

“ That’s more liked it, darling. I was thinking of her as my supper well since she’s dead I guess you will have to”, a laughing Khalid directed his left kneecap to rub the crouch of the kind doctor.

“Ashamed, angry, scare, oh this is better than I expected..ha..ha…”.

Suddenly a tearful Dennis yelled, “Claus hit him”.

The Arab was taken aback and momentarily loses his concentration. He remembered there was a driver. Could he have heard all this? He questioned himself as he turned his back around.

This gave Dennis the opportunity he has been waiting for. He stretched his left hand to the limit and just managed to grab the kitchen knife that tumbles when he crashed onto the cabinet. In a split second, he grabbed the knife and slashed it across the face of the assassin.

Khalid was stunned by the slash and dropped his dagger as the pain caused him to cry in agonizes. He watched as Dennis ran out of the cottage leaving him alone with a dead body minus the satisfaction.

He thought of giving chase but the sound of the moving carriage extinguished that thought. Feeling hurt both physically and his ego, he sat down next to the dining table and poured the remaining red wine into his mouth as he surveyed the room trying to find a proper piece of cloth for his wound.

His roaming eyes were fixed on a small black book on the floor. Khalid picked it up and open the book which read “ Dr.Dennis Koorne, 12 Noort Street…..”. He grinned as the thought of revenge enter his mind.

JP Koorne loathes coming to this part of the town, more so this kind of joint. He has no choice as his paid assassin has insisted the final transaction should take part in this cheap and shamble looking brothel by the south side. He couldn’t even remember the name nor he wanted to.

Khalid was flirting with a 30 years old looking woman, definitely way past her peak when he saw the short man came in. Their eyes met and he started walking towards his table.

The Arab was sensible enough to ask the whore to fuck-off, with a small tip of course as JP sat himself on a beer-stained looking stool.

“ Here the rest of the payment”, JP said as he slide over the parcel containing the balance payment across the table. “As promised I want you out of Amsterdam by the end of the day”.

Sliding his hand across the table to receive the parcel, Khalid says, “ Of course that’s what we agreed upon, but I have just one last request”

A surprisingly and increasing irritate JP asked “What now?”

“Saw the slash here”, Khalid directed JP’s attention to the scar on his face. “ The doctor said is going to be a permanent scar. The guy did it to me that night and I want my revenge. I know you only instructed me to get the girl but I will do this one for free. I just need a few days, I even know where he lives”, a triumphant looking Khalid spoke oblivious to JP’s constant stares at his watch.

A gradually discomfort JP answered, “All right”, in his mind he was thinking why should I care, better let this psychopath finish his job then have him hanging around here, before he continued “But I want this be done by Saturday and then I don’t want to see your face ever again in this town”.

“Saturday it should be then”, Khalid mumbled to himself as another scantly dressed woman approach his table.

JP was halfway on the staircase leading to his bedroom when the image of the assassin enters his mind. He felt a slight chilled and looks around. He is convinces that the Arab is a devil in disguise. No, he retracted. He doubted even Lucifer wants to take him in. He pities the man whom he is sure going to be tormented by the Arab on Saturday. Suddenly he stopped on his track and asked himself “How did the word Saturday just shout out of my mouth?” Then a grin appeared and he remember Saturday is going to be the most important day in his life. The day he is going to be crowned as the new DG.

I'll say - that's one mean assassin! Not just cold-blooded but off his rocker, seemingly! He must really enjoy his work!

Is there a relationship between Dennis and J.P.? I may have missed this earlier (and if so, please forgive me.) If so, J.P. seems to have very little remorse and much ambition, to be sure!