• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good show old chap! I have just caught this AAR and after reading it, I like. You don't get many Dutch AAR's around here so it is certainly good to see one. Nice story and plot!

Anyway, I have a question. Will Holland attempt to expand once again into Belgium (damn event) later on or will you continue your adventures in Africa and perhaps more so in the Far East (Korea is nice for Coal and Iron) or perhaps even expand into other Colonial territory of other nations (retaking South Africa from the Brits)

Good luck all the same and write some more, quickly good sir!

Nasty nasty man. Still I wonder if things are not going to get beyond his control.

BBBD - Yeap. That Arab is sick but that what makes him interesting :D

Coz1- Well, J.P and Dennis are brothers. I mentioned in my first post and no I won't blame you because you are a reader of this AAR.

Ksim300- New face. Thank you for reading and your comment. I always like comment and hope for more comments from you in the future.

As for your questions, you just have to continue stay tuned to find out. :D . Well, I will give a hint on one or your many questions. Which one will that be?
Ah...Belgium event. I never say I will won't try again, right?

Stnylan - Yes. Looks like a family tragedy is in the making or is it?

Thanks to all and keep those comments coming in.

prussiablue said:
..Then a grin appeared and he remember Saturday is going to be the most important day in his life. The day he is going to be crowned as the new DG.
and who says that crime does not pay?

excellent! ! ! ! :cool:

I was thinking this AAR would be about "the lowlands"...

Now it seems it is to be more about "the underworld". ;)

Tension building... interested to see more.

Rensslaer

I have read through your entire AAR today, and I think it is very good work :) You have done good showing the rise of the Dutch and you have been able to have both personal stories of your characters as well as the big picture showing what happens in the world and that is very cool and very well written. I must say you did well “explaining” the replaying, although that was a really sorrow event :(
But the story is great, both the story of the characters and the story of the Netherlands, I am enjoying this. You just keep up the great work :D

More than a number game

A seven feet long chandelier hangs high above the ceiling of the Trader’s Hall in nVOC headquarters. The shinning light illuminate from the chandelier shines ever so lovely and bright. Even as members of the company admired this grand piece of art they too wonder which of the two stars tonight will outshine the others.

Members arriving at the Trader’s Hall tonight will no be blame if they feel they just step into a Greco-Roman Wrestling arena. On the left hand side, Jan Krompkamp with his supporters are still making last minute effort to persuade the delegates from the Amsterdam Kamars to vote for him. Jan knows this is a tall task and it is highly unlikely they will break rank and vote for an outsider but Jan was relentless nevertheless highlighting to them his main issue in his campaign, eradication of corruption within the company.

This is an issue that Jan held close to his heart. He scorn at the thought of people like Koorne poisoning the company with money politics. It did occurred to him maybe what Koorne is doing is perfect and ethically acceptable in the context of the company. Perhaps it him who is in the wrong company, he wondered. He dispelled that thought for now.

Some of the delegates were polite and nod their heads in unison as thought they embrace Jan’s point but one glaze at the eyes will reveal a whole different story.

On the far right hand corner by the Wine Bar, JP Koorne and his supporters are clearly in a more relaxed mode. Sipping champagnes and smoking cigars, one could be mistaken to think the post-match celebration has already begun.

Their laughter were interrupted by the announcement of the Chairperson asking all delegates to take their respective seat as voting begin.

By convention selection for the new Director-General in the company is held by open ballot voting system. Each delegate will be asked his preferred choice of the nominees and he is to announce it aloud in front of all. This is to ensure transparency and encourage close-rank exercise after the election.

The voting begun with the first 4 votes go to Krompkamp. This is expected, as non-Amsterdam delegates tend to favour non-Amsterdam nominee.

“And how do you vote?” the chairperson direct his question at the head of the Amsterdam Kamars.

“We choose to vote en Bloc”, reply the gentleman.

Another fixture of the voting process is the en bloc system. As Amsterdam and Rotterdam have more than 1 delegate, they may if they choose to vote en bloc.

“And who do you vote for?” the Chairperson continued.

A slightly tense looking Jan close his eye and heard “ We vote for JP Koorne”.

Clearly disappointed in his heart, Jan still managed put up his best poker face and remain confident never once let his famous boyish smile deserts him.

The Rotterdam delegates also choose to vote en Bloc and not surprisingly their 4 votes went to Jan Krompkamp. With the votes tie at 8-8, the fate of the new Director-General falls into the hand of the delegate from Delft, one Mr.Robert Alweys.

By now the whole Trader’s Hall is dead silence with the whole audience at the edge of their seat. For the first time and most probably the last time in his life, Robert Alweys has all the attention on him.

Alweys is clearly enjoying every second of this. He stand up slowly and gives two quick glaze to the respective nominee before he says, “ I vote for JP Koorne”.

The hall erupted into sea of euphoria as JP Koorne was mobbed by his supporters.

“Order,Order”, the Chairperson shouted while banging on the wooden hammer on his table. Once the noise subsisted, he announces, “ It is with great pleasure that I declare by a margin of 9-8, Mr.JP Koorne is the winner today and accordingly by the power vested in me in the Company Charter I hereby announce the new Director-General of nVOC is Mr.JP Koorne”

After delivering his victory speech and promises to close rank, he was ushered into one of the conference room which has been temporarily transform to a party-room.

A delighted and clearly drunk Robert Alweys pulls JP aside. “I must say, JP, you are one hell of a devil in disguise. The bitch got what she deserved. Look I even got a souvenir from the bastard whom she bedded with. I found this in the wooden box she kept in the house”.

JP was pissed at Alweys for bringing this matter up in a crowded room. He was about to gives him a scolding when the shinning gold pen held by the tipsy Alweys grabbed his attention.

“Where did you get this?” a worried JP asked as he started to examine the pen which resembles the same one he gave Dennis on his graduation date.

“Didn’t I just say this belong to the bastard?”

JP worse fear was confirmed when he saw the initial D.K. engraved on the pen. He’s face turn pale as if the whole world just run out of air. He stood there motionless like the one of the statue around the room.

“Are you okay, Director-General?”, a supporter asked when he noticed the new DG’s pose.

“Oh my god, Dennis”.

The new Director General sudden shout alerted the others in the room as they wondered why the new DG ran out of his own victory celebration.

Victory at what cost?

JP ran as fast as he can. 12, Noort Street is just 5 blocks away. He could have use the carriage but in this time of hazard he forgot. As he ran his tears start flowing like a broken dam. He kept asking himself what kind of sick joke is god playing, how could god allow this to happen, why must fate conspire against him?

Dennis was lying on the bed with two bottles of vodka left unattended, one empty and one half empty or half full depending on how one want to looks at it.

Gone are his boyish and suave look replaced by an unshaven and dejected face pondering what kind of pain does life still have in store for him.

He reluctantly got up from his bed and approached the shower room. He gazed at the mirror and wondered who is the person he is staring at. He bit his lips when the image of Isabel came flashing in his head. He paced himself towards the bathtub and gazed at the pool of water. The thought of drowning in it did enter his mind.

Sitting by the balcony for the past hour, the Arab contemplates when he is going to make his move. The sight of poor Dennis drinking himself to death does not appeal to Khalid. He likes active and not passive victim. He brushed his hand against the rough scar on the cheek before climbing into the bedroom.

JP was fast running out of breath but he kept pushing. The thought of his little brother and the mad Arab prompts him to run faster. Just two more blocks around the corner, he says to himself. Silently he cursed himself and wondered whether is it all too late?

The bathtub was full but the man inside is only half alive. For the first time in many nights, Dennis finally found a bit of his sanity back as the warmness and tranquility of the water started to relax him, or is it the opium. He closed his eyes and let his mind wonder. Soon images of his childhood started to appear. He is running with JP around the dock where their father labors for all his life. Then the image faded and he suddenly found himself at his graduation ceremony, surrounded by friends and watch over by his proud brother whom has sponsored his studies at the University of Groningen.

Another image flashed in, he and Isabel holidaying in the Capital of Lovers, Paris. Of course they have never been to Paris together, but he imagine this would how they would behave if they had been to Paris. The drug is starting to take greater effect. In his vision now Isabel and him would walk hand in hand they take an evening stroll by the Seine without a single care in the world.

Another vision came to mind. After the stroll they would make passionate love in their chamber all night. Dennis realized he is entering into a hallucination stage as the opium started to accommodate his mind to all kind of wonderful scenarios. He was beginning to feel happy again when a sound woke him up.

JP can see the bedroom light from here. He throws away his jacket as he prepared to climb the hill leading to the end of Noort Street. He hopes he is not too late.

“Hello there pretty boy”, the Arab spoke while kneeling by the side of the bathtub.

Dennis opened his eyes slowly. He saw his face less than a feet away. This time Dennis holds no fear only liberation. He is glad he can finally join Isabel in his Paris.

He was forced to kick the door after Dennis did not respond to the constant knocking on the door. He entered to find himself to a deserted house with an eerie feeling. “Dennis, Where are you?” JP shouted as he search the house for the sign of his brother. He heard the sound of running water and rushed to the attaching bathroom upstairs.

He froze as he saw his little brother body’s lying on the bathtub with a sliced throat. Fresh blood continues to ooze from the open throat like water from the tap.

He kneeled besides the bathtub holding Dennis’ still warm hand and started to cry. In this moonless night he has achieved his life long dream but at what price.

Last edited:
prussiablue said:
Victory at what cost?

In this moonless night he has achieved his life long dream but at what price.
yes, that was a terrible price to pay. fair, but terrible.

awesome, just awesome! ! ! :cool:

Wow. You handled those two scenes perfectly. Particularly in the second scene there was a question as to whether he would arrive in time, and to find that he does not. Also the moment of realisation, of it all going horribly wrong in the first scene. Everything has a price, so it is said. It reads in some respects like a Greek Tragedy here, undercut in his moment of triumph. The final image is a haunting one.

The beginning image playing up to boxing ring annoucements injected just the right amount of humour to make what follows more stark - it is a moment of irreverency on a very serious night.

All in all, highly enjoyable. What will Jan become, knowing the price that he has paid, and will continue to pay with his grief? Has the Arab fatally overstepped? Will Alweys find himself meeting his maker? Or will Jan take all the burden without release and reforge the company into a grander thing in honour of his dead brother? So many ways you could turn in this story, and I cannot wait to see what you do.

Pity for Jan that he lost, but it seems JP will have to contend with far more than he bargained for. It seems only right that his backroom and/or underhanded dealings would come back to bite him. At least Jan does not have to take that to sleep with him every night.

And the tension was built perfectly at the end of the second post. I kept thinking you might let Dennis live. But no - Khalid's just too good at what he does, I suppose.

Very good work on the last couple of updates, really well written and full of tension and excitement. Especially the last of them was really a little “scary” and jolly well written, it is like you hope that JP will be able to get there on time, and then you hope that the Arab will fail, and you just have to read on until the end because you can’t actually wait to see what happens, and then you see it is to late for JP, a little scary, but great work :)

Looking forward to more updates

Thank you all for your comments. With the dead of Dennis and the succession issue settled, we came to the end of Part I of this AAR.

Exactly like what Stnylan said, this conclusion gives me a lot of room to maneuver in the story. For the next part of the story we shall concentrate on the development of the Dutch Empire and her endeavour to find a place under the sun. I promise you all it will be GRAND!!

Ghostwriter : as ever nice to see you again with your highly encourage comments.

Stynlan : Great comments. Among as long as my update :D . What can I said you pick the word right out of my mouth. Yes, you are right, it does seems like a Greek Tragedy in the making.

coz1 : Disappointed? Well it has always being my plan from the start that Dennis would meet his end, the only question was how? The key is to find a way tied it up with the story. I hope I succeeded in doing so.

Lord E : Thanks for your kind comment. Seems like you like action.. ;) In fact I was to write a much more lengthy account of the struggle/fight between Khalid and Dennis but decided against so. Potraying a man devoid of all meaning of life is much more enticing.

Thanks you all for reading this AAR and keep those comments flying in.

Two excellent parts there old chap! Very well written. I wonder if JP will ruin the company due to his depressive state or perhaps resign in anger and thus, Jan takes over? That sir, I am eager to find out.....

Now excellent, time to see what happens to the Dutch Empire. I look forward to this part!

Ksim3000 said:
I wonder if JP will ruin the company due to his depressive state or perhaps resign in anger and thus, Jan takes over?
I was wondering if JP was going to get caught in the middle of it all. Either taking the "bullet" for Dennis, or joining him in death!

But in the end, JP learns the price of power politics.

As sad as I am to see Jan lose the seat, I'm sure JP's kind of politics will make for a more interesting term of office!

Rensslaer

Nieuwschans, at the border of Netherlands and Hanover
Royal Netherlands Border Checkpoint

The guards at the border checkpoint in Nieuwschans are unusually vigilance tonight. The guards comprising of a captain and two privates have received an urgent order earlier today from the headquarters directing them to perform thorough search on all persons and vehicles departing from this normally quiet checkpoint.

This enormous amount of stress is alien for the young man currently inspecting the wagon of a woodcutter whom he known for years.

“Come on, Brett, What is there to search? I pass through here every week” to which the young man reply “ I know, Mr. Mecks but orders are orders” as he gently lift the cloth that reveals a pile of woods.

“By the way, Brett, exactly what are you looking for?” for which the woodcutter question was met with a small grin from the young man waving him to move on.

Police Headquarters, Groningen

He promised his son he would be back by 9 tonight. Little Timmy would not go to bed unless his father read his favourite bedtimes story. Inspector Arjen van der Linn also wishes he was at home now. Instead he is stuck here in his cramp and messy office reading the dossier on his desk for the six times and no much closer to solving the case.

One month ago, the city of Groningen was graced with a new museum, Dennis Koorne Art Museum to be precise, named after the brother of one of the wealthiest man in the Netherlands, JP Koorne, Director-General of nVOC.

Inspector Arjen has read the story on the tragic murder of the promising politician whose career was abruptly cut short by this dead. So far police investigation has failed to cast any light to the murder. Ironically, the citizens of Groningen have benefited from this tragic event, as the late doctor was an alumnus of University of Groningen. JP Koorne has donated generously to the setting up of this nice museum situated next to the university campus and his contribution does not end there.

Apparently Koorne have managed to amass a huge collection of Rembrandts’ works to be put on display permanently in the new city museum. This added a huge amount of prestige not only to the museum but to the city as well. Flocks of visitors and art lovers started to assemble in this city. They are even talks that Groningen could replace Amsterdam as the central of the art activities in the Netherlands but all that could be derailed by the event this morning.

The cleaning lady was the first one to discover the theft and she promptly informed the museum guards. 6 pieces of Master Rembrandt best works were missing including the famed De Nachtwacht (The Night Watch) and De Joodse bruid (The Jewish Bride).

The Night Watch

The Jewish Bride

The Chief of Police declares this a national disaster and did not hide his anger when after 8 hours Inspector van der Linn was still unable to find the thieves and more importantly the paintings.

Arjen was about to read the dossier for the seven times when a knock at his door distracted him.

“ Sir, I think we might finally have a lead”.

30 minutes later in the Chief of Police residence

“Well, if what he says is true, we have better move fast”, the Chief read out his order to Insp van der Linn.

“Yes Sir, right away Sir”, the beaming Inspector replied.

Arjen have already assembled a group of his best constables as they make their way to the mansion at the outskirt of the city. Clearly feeling better, he recalled the confession of the scum who admitted to the theft. Under normal circumstances he would be more inclined to find out the modus operanti of the theft but tonight he is only interested in recovering the paintings. The thief had told the police he has commit the crime on the encouragement of a certain gentleman with a German ascent living at the rented mansion just outside of the city. “He promises me he would buy all the paintings and he did”, the thief continued.

Upon arrival Arjen leads the raid. Since no one bother to answer the door, he knocks front door down with the help of two other constables. The house was deserted but just. His heart started to pounce when he saw the name of person that rented the mansion.

Arjen shouted to his assistant “ Quick, get me to a telegraph machine” he glanced at this watch, “we might still make it”.

Nieuwschans

Count Alfred von Altinbourgh, an avid art collector, was calm despite being asked to stop by the border guard at the Nieuwschans checkpoint. He holds his breath as he came down from his carriage.

“ May I know what is inside this wooden box?” young Brett asked.

“ Certainly”, the count replied, “the body of my death uncle” as the count direct his servants to open the coffin.

Brett was momentary stunned by this revelation but quickly got back his composure. “And why would you want to moves a corpse in the middle of the night? The young guard now starting to feel suspicious.

The Count for once was speechless. It had never occurred to him that anyone would even dare to suspect his plan. The young guard was about to lift the dead body up when a shout from behind halt his action.

“ What is going on Brett?” The voice belongs to the Checkpoint’s Captain as he starts marching towards the coffin. “And who are you?” the Captain directs his question to the German. “Count Alfred von Altinbourg of Munster, Hanover at your service”.

The captain clearly impress with the Count’s profile now speaks with a milder tone. “Is there any problem, My Lord?”

“No. No problem, your guard here was just about to toss my late uncle body around” the Count spoke with a sarcastic tone.

“Brett, how dare you disturb a dead man body? This is unacceptable, and not but”, the Captain shouted before turning to the Count. “Our apology, My Lord, we hope this unfortunate incident would not disturb the cordial relationship between our two nations”.

“ I would hope not. Now may I go?”

“Yes certainly”, the Captain replied. Brett watches bitterly as the Count rides into the soil of Hanover.

The captain was still smarting from his encounter with a noble count when he saw the telegram message on the desk. “It must have comes in when I am outside”, thought the Captain as he read the message.

“ To the Officer-in-charge, Nieuwschans Border Checkpoint.

Suspected man with stolen Rembrandt’s paintings attempt to crosses your checkpoint to Hanover. Use all means of force to stop him. Will not tolerate any failure. Name: Count Alfred von Altinbourg of Munster, Hanover END”.

Brett was drinking his coffee when he heard the gunshot from the Captain’s office.

Few days later
Prime Minister Office, Amsterdam

“How’s the situation?” asked the Prime Minister.

“Well, King Ernest Augusta I, refuses to handover his nephew. The Hanover court has informed us that the King feel that the Count may not get a fair trial in Amsterdam and furthermore as a member of the Royal Family he should be accorded diplomatic immunity. He was quick to add that investigation is underway in Hanover even as we speak”, Foreign Minister Simon Blays was quick to answer the PM’s query.

“Outrageous, this thief has stole our national treasures and they expect us to accord him with some stupid immunity”, a burly minister shouted.

The PM clearly feeling and sharing the sentiment of his fellow cabinet members and Dutchman all alike shows a disgruntled face before he direct his next question to the Minister of Interior. “Any more anti-Hanover rally going on?”

“Yes, Prime Minister. In fact the situation has escalated. I fear the people will start rioting if we don’t take some stern action soon”.

“For a few paintings?” a junior minister mumbled softly but obviously not soft enough for the ear of the PM.

“This is not about a few paintings”, the Prime Minister barked at the junior minister. “We are talking about the works of the greatest painter in the world, a Dutchman through and through. Today they took our paintings, tomorrow our land”.

“Simon, immediately issue an ultimatum to Hanover, either they hand over that bastard together with the 6 paintings by end of this week or we will go to war to get it back ourselves”.

Sound of cheers and applause filled the room.

End of the Week
Cabinet meeting room, Amsterdam

“Well, Simon what says our old King Ernest?”

“ Let just says that he picks the wrong option, Prime Minister”, reply the smiling Minister.

Hmm, I suppose that is a definition of all hell breaking loose. One hopes that Prussia will not take up the cause of their fellow, if misguided, Germans.

Yes, that's true. Are you ready to take on Prussia at present? If so, then there is a chance for some major gains. If not...well, I don't need to tell you how bad that might be.

Has the queen victoria event fired yet?
If not then Hannover is allied to England not Prussia, he will be able to steamroll hannover before the Brits can start to attack.
Huzzah for the King and Holland!