• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh no!

That stinks. Computer problems are never fun to have happen to you, Cora - I can tell you that from experience. That's how I lost my Day of the Doves CK2 campaign, sadly. I hope things turn out well, though, and that it is only a minor display problem... and that the storytelling can continue!

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
So sorry to hear that! Looking forward to when you can return.

The PC repair store has informed me that my laptop simply had a loose display cable; apparently it is working correctly now. Hopefully I'll be able to get some writing done over the next few days, then.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The PC repair store has informed me that my laptop simply had a loose display cable; apparently it is working correctly now. Hopefully I'll be able to get some writing done over the next few days, then.

That's good news! Hopefully not too expensive for them to discover that.

Indeed, good news indeed!

Khan Shilian II of the Tuoba Khanate, 965 - 985
Khan Shilian II of the Tuoba Khanate

Born: 925
Reigned: 965 - 985

iiPGgc5.png

As a boy Prince Shilian was modest and retiring. He rarely boasted, rarely yelled, and was quick to forgive offenses against his person. His father, the first Khan Shilian, came to appreciate the prince’s reliability in the troubled years after Prince Zhen’s incestuous affair and the death of the beloved Zhaocheng. For all that, there was something unsettling about the child. He was polite and well mannered but neither kind nor particularly concerned for the wellbeing of others.

The boy prince was plagued in those days by a recurring vision of the fierce god Mahakala [1], adorned with skulls and sitting on his throne made of corpses. The boy’s ears would ache to hear the loud shrieks of vultures and jackals, and yet the most powerful sound was the quiet voice of the God of Destruction. In a whisper the god told his child supplicant of the destruction of men, women and children, their deaths coming implacably with the march of time. It is not for this chronicle to determine whether these visions were borne from divinity or madness, but later generations would find them prescient regardless.

Adding to Shilian’s agitation, the Tuoba Khanate was riddled with tensions. His father may have won the kingdom for the Melie faith but there was no guarantee that the family could hold it. The potential opposition was vast: from ambitious uncles in the north, Buddhist and Daoist agitators to the west, the treacherous Duke Hongwu in the south and the ever-present possibility of invasion from the east. When news struck Shunzhou of the assassination of Khan Shilian I, Silk Road merchants began to stream from the city gates for the (relative) safety of Five Dynasties-era China to wait for the dust to settle.

Despite these ominous rumblings, Shilian’s first reaction was aggression. He launched a series of conquests aimed at securing the Koko Nur [2] region on his southern border. The population of Koko Nur was primarily Mongolian-speakers in this period, and presumably the khan expected that he could use the loyalty of his new provinces as a counterbalance to the old. During the summer of 966, Shilian seized the western lands of Mahila Lhathrimo of Fuqi; the following year, he went to war against Mahila Tsamchö in Tu’ulain. By 968 the entire duchy was his.

If the khan had hoped to secure the loyalty of his new subjects, he would soon be disabused. Although they shared some ethnic and linguistic ties to their new king, the people of Koko Nur had lived under Tibetan rule for far longer and most were practitioners of the Nangchos school of Buddhism. Soon they too would be plotting rebellion.

KS1MGXX.png

The first rebellion of Shilian’s reign came in 972. Dai Tuoba, youngest brother of Shilian I and powerful noble in his own right, made a bid for the throne; he was a respected general and supporters argued that he would be a steadier hand than the god-plagued Shilian II. Although he was a Tuyuhun and a Melie practitioner, Dai was able to claim some support from Daoist nobles in the west by promising to respect their religious practices.

Dai’s rebellion collapsed on February 7, 973, when his forces were soundly defeated at the battle of Drotsang. Adding to the khan’s relief, Duke Hongwu II perished that same month, splitting his mighty fiefdom among his sons. However, the instability was far from over. Later that year, the Cao family--a powerful Han dynasty that converted to Melie a generation before--began to support the Daoist noblewoman Khrimalod Litang’s claim for the throne. Countess Cao Hong quietly used her influence to gather an alliance of nobles that could easily outstrip the might of the throne.

Forewarned, Shilian II stole a march on the nobility by having Cao Hong arrested and thrown into prison. Her supporters launched their revolt regardless, but without the countess and her substantial forces they were poorly coordinated and undermanned. The khan won a series of brutal victories, including a near-slaughter at Tu’ulain; but the winning blow took place on July 7, 977, when Khrimalod was poisoned by a Tuyuhun assassin. The death of their figurehead left the rebels fatally scattered, and the revolt soon collapsed.

FBGpnCY.png

Following the murder of Khrimalod, Shilian II ordered a purge of the nobility, starting with the public execution of Countess Cao Hong and a dozen of her collaborators. The remaining years of his reign would be occupied in the never-ending hunt for traitors in the realm. The Daoist and Buddhist nobility would be the primary objects of his suspicion. Noble families suspected of treason would be obliged to provide hostages to live in Shunzhou as ‘honored members’ of the royal household.

Between the summary executions and the policy of hostage-taking, the khan was able to maintain the docility of his lords for a time. Instead, the fires of rebellion took hold among the Manichean Uyghurs in the khanate’s northern frontier. While the khan rode forth to put down the rebellion, the Buddhists in Koko Nur rose up in the south, proclaiming a Mongolian Buddhist kingdom of Gyalrong on the northern Tibetan plateau. The disgruntled nobility were too intimidated to directly support these revolts, but they did little to stop it and quietly hoped that the kingdom would be consumed by them.

As a result, Shilian II’s final years were spent trying desperately to keep his kingdom intact, and the chronicle of his reign becomes an extended series of executions and reprisals. Despite appearances, conditions were improving, as a younger generation of nobility came of age that did not remember the old Guiyi Circuit and Melie practice became more popular in the kingdom’s west and south. It was hardly a given that the Tuoba khanate would survive its second generation, and Shilian’s measures are a large reason why it did.

However, the constant bloodletting took a toll not just on the kingdom but also its monarch. Shilian’s visions only intensified in the final years of his reign, and he took to quelling them with wine--leading to a resurgence of the dynastic curse, alcoholism. In the early 980s, his health declined substantially, and in his final year the khan was unable to ride a horse or lift a bow.

As Shilian declined, courtiers considered with concern the matter of the inheritance. Crown Prince Rou, eldest grandson of the khan, was popular among the Confucian official class for his learning and his excellent calligraphy, but he held few of the martial values so admired by the Tuyuhun elite. Could this mild youth maintain the allegiance of the realm, or would the chaos of the realm be renewed for a new generation?

O0zl1or.png

[1] Mahakala was known in those days as a god in the Hindu and Nangchos Buddhist traditions; in the late tenth century, he became increasingly recognized by Melie followers as well.
[2] Literally, “Blue Sea/Lake.” Known as Qinghai to the Han and Tsongonpo to the Tibetans.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So we're back with Shilian II, and we see that the diversity of the region is going to continue to cause trouble for our khans during these early centuries. There's going to be a lot of infighting to come.

The Khan was successful, but to a horrible price; his very soul and peace of mind. May he rest in peace.

That's going to be a trend with these early khans, I think. I think that's my Christian school upbringing shining through: what does it profiteth a man to gain the whole world etc etc.

Excited to be able to get in on this on the ground floor. Loved the al-Rus AAR, looking forward to more of this!

Thanks, I hope this AAR lives up to your expectations.

Personally, I'm not a fan of horde AAR but this one is really catchy. Good job!

Thanks! I'm going for something a little different than your average horde AAR. The Tuyuhun are in the Mongolian culture group (in the game), but they're not Temujin's Mongols.

Very good detail for the opening, kudos. Though this translation gives a different meaning by asking what does it say?, as oppose to does heaven speak?. Interesting, will check for other translations and interpretations to compare.

Well, technically the translation I found said "What does Tian say?", but I reworded it just a little bit to get the effect that I wanted.

Oh this is gonna be good! Definitely a great part of the map. And who knows, maybe the Mongol Horde will redeem itself after their virtual no-show in the Caliphate of al-Rus.

They damn well better. I'm putting myself right in their path, they really can't miss me.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That's going to be a trend with these early khans, I think. I think that's my Christian school upbringing shining through: what does it profiteth a man to gain the whole world etc etc.
Truer words never said. :) Good update, sorry I was a bit late to reply!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Khan Rou of the Tuoba Khanate, Part I
Khan Rou of the Tuoba Khanate
Born: 956
Reigned: 985 - 1032

vmQktxl.png

Khan Rou Tuoba was a difficult man to love. The officials admired his learning, perhaps, but beneath his cultivated, soft-spoken exterior the khan was duplicitous and cruel. The court said that he practiced calligraphy with the blood of his enemies, and if this was an exaggeration it wasn’t much of one. This polite sadist would nonetheless leave a larger mark on his kingdom than any of his predecessors, building the foundation of a mighty empire out of a minor merchant kingdom. Even today, you can go to his capital–for Yutian is his capital, first and foremost–and see his hand everywhere.

Shunzhou had grown substantially since the Tuobas had risen to prominence over the Gansu pass. It was a cosmopolitan city packed with merchants, scholars, and travelers from west and east, known for its thriving markets and rich melange of peoples. And yet the city was not, in a physical sense, much larger than it had been before. It had begun as a fortified zhai in the mountains, forcing more and more people to crowd on top of each other. Fire was an obvious danger, when one blaze could kill so many; and the traders brought their disease with them as often as not.

Beyond that, Shunzhou was on the far east of the Tuoba khanate, leaving it vulnerable to invasion. The lands of the Tang were held by feuding warlords with rival claims to the imperial throne, and yet the possibility of Chinese invasion worried Khan Rou more than anything else. Imagine a Han general invading from the east while the local Han notables rose up in the west: he might find himself trapped between two tigers, with nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

Rou put his mind to this problem early in his reign, during the war for Cherchen on the western roads. Uyghur prisoners spoke of a thriving city to the west, called Yutian (or Khotan by some). It was a city of silk and jade, of carpets and fine pottery. Once it had been home to a proud kingdom, but the arrogant Yutianese had ignored the wisdom of Mani and thus been brought to ruin. (Such, at least, was the testament of the devout Uyghurs.) Now the great city was diminished, the holdfast of a minor noble in the Tibetan kingdom of Maryül. Ghosts were seen wandering the empty palaces, while the market stalls were home only to packs of feral dogs.

The khan had perhaps a romantic streak, because the thought of claiming this once great city as his own capital consumed him. He imagined a mighty empire spanning Tibet and Persia alike, with the great city of Yutian as its center. Building such an empire would be the job of many lifetimes; it would take most of his own simply to claim Yutian as his prize. But his mind, once fixed upon an object, would not be loosed. This great city would be his.

ObjHxXD.png

First, however, the kingdom would need to be secured. The enemies of Shilian II did not think much of his soft-spoken son, and meant to test his meddle in battle.In the summer of 988, the high chieftess of Qumarlêb led 3200 men to claim Rou’s throne. The chieftess spoke the Tibetan tongue and worshipped as a Bon, and she meant to claim the kingdom–which she called Tangyud–for her people and her gods. Qumarlêb outnumbered Rou’s own forces, if only by a little, but still the war would not have seemed so daunting if the khan could fight it alone.

This, unfortunately, would not be possible. Another Tibetan duchess, Kunchen of Malho, was quietly laying the groundwork for a conquest of Rebgong. She could raise an army of at least thirty-five hundred, and perhaps more besides. Rebgong was just a single county, and yet to the Melie it was sacred. Great shamans in the past had gone there to call upon the gods and obtained the power to work powerful magicks on the enemies of their people. Such a land could not be abandoned lightly.

Kunchen would not declare until the following April. However, as the Tuoba mustered their forces for war in the south, the Han Daoists rose up in rebellion again. Han Chungli, a disgraced former official and general rabble-rouser, led an army of more than a thousand peasants and artisans to throw off the shackles of the barbarian Tuyuhun and their bandit kings. The khanate was under threat from within and without.

The khan was not by nature a lenient man, but under the present circumstances he found that savagery was a luxury he could not afford. He ordered his army on a daring early-winter invasion of Qumarlêb, arriving mere days before the mountains became impassable; and there he besieged the capital. The primitive holding had a simple wooden wall for defense, and it would fall just in time for the spring thaw. Rou might have pressed further, had the situation been different, but instead he settled for a simple truce so that he might wheel again and face Han Chungli.

Master Han and his rabble had overwhelmed the local magistrates and dared a march on the Guiyi capital of Ganzhou. It was there, on March 9, 989, that he met the khan’s men in battle. Despite the fanatical zeal of his followers, they were poorly trained and on foot, and one charge of the Tuyuhun horse archers led to a rout. Han himself slipped away with a number of supporters to join another group of rebels in the west, and some of the khan’s generals urged an advance.

But even then the army of Malho was marching north, and thus Rou again took a lenient tack. Han Chungli and the other rebel leaders would be sent into exile, he commanded, but the rank-and-file would be able to return to their farms in peace if they swore an oath of loyalty to their khan. After the loss at Ganzhou, most of the rebels took the deal, and the latest Han rebellion ended quietly.

Malho would prove far more formidable than the other two foes, however. By the time Rou’s men could arrive, Kunchen had already invested the mountainous lands of Rebgong and their defensive lines were formidable. Even so, the Tuyuhun braved an attack in early spring, 990, when 3300 of the khan’s men faced off against a smaller force of Tibetan warriors. The two sides fought for hours, in a bloody stalemate, until an enterprising band of Tibetans caught the the Melie commander Shou Tuoba out of position and took him behind their lines as a prisoner. Shou’s capture was devastating to the Tuyuhun morale, and the stalemate rapidly turned to retreat.

News of the defeat at Rebgong shocked the Tuoba court, where conventional wisdom held that a Tuyuhun warrior was more than an even match for any warrior in the world and thus they could not be defeated when they enjoyed numerical superiority. Rou called up whatever reserves he could and sent a fresh army under his marshal to renew the offensive against Malho. This army would suffer a second defeat at Shanzhou, losing five men to every one of Kunchen’s. The small duchy of Malho had somehow managed to best their neighbors to the north, and Rou had no chance but to sign a humiliating surrender. The sacred mountains of Rebgong were, for the moment, lost.

ZZSQ8KV.png

After the loss of Rebgong, the dream of Yutian seemed further away than ever. If Khan Rou could not hold his own inherited lands, how could he hope to expand? So it was that the khan proposed a marriage alliance with the Gyalpo of Maryül: his eldest son, Yitan, for the Bodpa princess Pabu. If Rou could not claim this great capital, his grandsons might someday inherit it.

In the meantime, he needed to wash away the stain of defeat by finding a great victory somewhere–anywhere. It was then that the gods handed him a provident gift. In the winter of 992/3, Mahila Kunchen had lost her husband of many years, leaving her diplomatically isolated and dramatically weakened in the field. By now she could perhaps field a thousand men of her own, far short of what she had enjoyed only a few months before.

The mahila had grandly promised to spare Tuoba from further conquests for a time of five years, a condescending gesture that stuck in the khan’s throat. And yet–as Rou’s officials were quick to note–she had not asked him to do the same. He could attack her without sacrificing his honor. And so in the fall of 993 the Tuyuhun army rode forth to avenge the losses at Rebgong and Shanzhou. At their head was the great general Shou Tuoba, who had some grudges of his own to satisfy.

Kunchen had desired only Rebgong, but now Rou declared a holy war for all of Malho, to give the pagans who had tarnished the sacred mountains a taste of Mewn’s justice. Suitably, at least in the khan’s eyes, the Tuyuhun met their Tibetan enemies in battle at Rebgong once again, and this time Kunchen’s forces suffered a devastating defeat–losing one man in every two. The remaining stragglers were ridden down and slaughtered to a man. By October, Kunchen had only her bodyguards to protect her.

The mahila held out defiant for a time in the fortified capital of Rebgong, but she lacked the men to defend such a fortress and by the end of the year her capital fell. Kunchen was taken before Khan Rou in chains, and after a long moment of silence the khan softly gave his order: tie her hand and foot to the four strongest stallions in the army, and send them running in four directions. He is said to have watched the resulting spectacle with quiet satisfaction.

webR4FD.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Khan Rou's entry proved to be longer than I expected (or more to the point, I really got into writing him up) so I divided his portion in half; the second half is basically finished and I'll post it in a few days.

I just got through a very busy period, involving both moving and starting up a new college program; things are starting to settle down so I foresee being able to move back to something like a weekly update schedule in the future.

Truer words never said. :) Good update, sorry I was a bit late to reply!

No worries! It looks like we're both busy right now.

Kunchen was taken before Khan Rou in chains, and after a long moment of silence the khan softly gave his order: tie her hand and foot to the four strongest stallions in the army, and send them running in four directions. He is said to have watched the resulting spectacle with quiet satisfaction.
A grim conclusion. It seems like Khan Rou does not take well to setbacks.

I hope we will see this return, although I guess you are as busy as me. :)

Thanks, Nikolai, that's very nice. However, unfortunately the save file for this AAR got messed up, leaving only a save from sixty years earlier; and I'm afraid that that took the wind out of my sails for this iteration. I expect to return to this idea (or do a similar one with the tiny pagan faith in Nepal,), but in the meantime I have been playing and writing a little something; this time I'm waiting to build up some entries before I post it, so that I can feel sure that it won't get interrupted mid-stream.

but in the meantime I have been playing and writing a little something; this time I'm waiting to build up some entries before I post it, so that I can feel sure that it won't get interrupted mid-stream.
Make sure to inform us when you post it! I, and presumably the other lovely chaps here, would love to read it.