Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 37 - Aragon, Naples and Korea

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why has aragon got 8 Ideas and the other two only 7? Did you count naple's starting bonus as one and not count the others?

Why has aragon got 8 Ideas and the other two only 7? Did you count naple's starting bonus as one and not count the others?

1. Naples starts with a 25% bonus to National Spy Defence and 5% faster recovery to Navy Morale.

:)

Edit: So now I will reallz enjoy Japan + Korea MP games now.

Korea looks awesome, though I would have preferred that it received more defensive ideas to stop players from effortlessly railroading it, which is what happened anytime Ming, Manchu, or a daimyo was controlled by a player in Divine Wind.

It's great if you keep NI's from the forming nation. This way, a Castille-formed Spain is different from a Aragon-formed one, so, if you're fan of Spain you get to play the same country in two different ways, I suppose.

Looks good, but Korea need a more accurate and cooler coat of arms:
Coat_of_Arms_of_Joseon_Korea.png

4. Consolidation of the Estates: Stability Cost Modifier -20%: Bring all the great houses and lands together, so that there are fewer points of conflict, weakening our kingdom.

This one is totally ahistorical for Aragon, as one of the biggest problems the crown suffered during the modern era was the "bandositats": conflicts with none or little reason between noble families or towns that started during the XIV century and lasted until the XVIII, reacihing it's peak in the XVI , when specially in Catalonia, but also in Valencia and Majorca the country was full of armed companies who attacked people who were enemies of their side.
The most improtant example were the early 1600s, when catalonia was divided between two sides, the "nyerros" and the "cadells", and every week some mayor or priest who was a nyerro was attacked and killed by a band of cadells, and the following week a cadell was killed by nyerros. This conflict lasted until the catalan revolt of 1640 when the catalan goverment ended it by making both sides to fight the castillians, after the crushing of the revolt nnobody wanted to fight more xD

If this idea was made in order to represent the king ending with this situation I find it really ahistorical as in the real world 250 years of efforts from the king were totally incapable of finding a solution to this problem xD

By the way, i'm glad to see that Aragon has changed it's flag, as the old one was only used between 1410-1516, and only had sense while keeping Sicily inside the crown.

Last edited:
The tech bonuses that some East Asian get are not as awesome as they sound though, since you'll most likely never catch up with the European nations anyway.
You might - remember that now it's the monarch points that advance tech and not the money, so Prussia/Germany no longer will be 5 techs ahead of its time.
Once you westernize, you'll have both national ideas bonuses, innovative bonuses (which I think is a requirement for westernization) and neighbourhood bonus.

So, initially, yes, you will be behind, but you should be able to get even better tech than Europe if you choose to.

I must say, this is strange. When Venice got no idea for mercenaries, i thought no one would get one, but now Aragon has one? Venice and the other north italian citystates were the entities that hired the most mercenaries in the time scale of the game

I must say, this is strange. When Venice got no idea for mercenaries, i thought no one would get one, but now Aragon has one? Venice and the other north italian citystates were the entities that hired the most mercenaries in the time scale of the game

As this is the first idea, I can assume that is based mostly in the medieval period, and the aragonese Almogavers were one of the best mercenary units of that time. Specially famous (at least in catalonia, where most history books have some chapter dedicated to it, so at least for us are an important aprt of our history :cool:) was the campaigns they fought in Anatolia and Greece in the early XIV century against turks and byzantines, crushing both of them and finally conquering Athens for the king of Aragon by themselves :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Company

As this is the first idea, I can assume that is based mostly in the medieval period, and the aragonese Almogavers were one of the best mercenary units of that time. Specially famous (at least in catalonia, where most history books have some chapter dedicated to it, so imagine if they were important in our history :cool:) was the campaigns they fought in Anatolia and Greece in the early XIV century against turks and byzantines, crushing both of them and finally conquering Athens for the king of Aragon by themselves :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Company

I know that, but it is still strange. Venice relied on mercenaries heavily during the whole time scale of EU.
Of course the other nations had mercenaries too, but for venice it was a integral part of their strategy, because the native venetian had to serve in the navy. And while the almogavers were very famous, it was only for a small part of time of the game.

tl;dr: while i find this idea totally plausible, i think Venice should be the first nation to have some mercenary ideas.

tl;dr: while i find this idea totally plausible, i think Venice should be the first nation to have some mercenary ideas.

Venice has idea to make cash from trade according to DD. And cash makes mercenaries.
Aragon seems more about having home land mercenaries that it can pay less because they are homeland.

Hmm, no complains about no Poland yet...

Where's Poland?

;)

I wonder if we still get some DDs about actual new game features - country specific ones feel just like a filler.