Europa Universalis IV Developer Diary 10 - It all belongs to Mother Russia...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And yet, while there was a wide audience in France, in the end, France fell back on the Catholic side, and its Protestant leader had to convert to Catholicism to rule the country.

France is, indeed, much more than Spain or Italy, a meeting ground between Germanic and Latin influences. I think I'd describe French culture as the reverse of the English language. One is Germanic with lots of Latin influence (via French); the other is Latin with a wide streak of Germanic influence.

One way or another, describing France as Germanic is bollocks. There's a mix of elements, but certainly not enough to depict France as primarily Germanic

Well i find france quite germanic, is way of thinking.

EDIT: But contrary to germans, french do have a good sense of humour.

please... if you don't understand both languges ("both are quite gibberish to me.") then don't try to make a serious and major argument about them....
and
EDIT: But contrary to germans, french do have a good sense of humour.
that's... a bit insulting to germans don't you think?

please... if you don't understand both languges ("both are quite gibberish to me.") then don't try to make a serious and major argument about them....
and that's... a bit insulting to germans don't you think?

Well, not all germans do not have a sense of humour. But this statement is true for most of them. They have realy poor humour type in general. Even some germans say so.

no, do i know germans? why yes some of my family even is so yeah i know my fair share of germans as well but that is irrelevant to the fact that i'd imagine that many gerrmans would find that insulting
anywho i'd also imagine people are tired of this already and this is getting off topic so i'll stop here

no, do i know germans? why yes some of my family even is so yeah i know my fair share of germans as well but that is irrelevant to the fact that i'd imagine that many gerrmans would find that insulting
anywho i'd also imagine people are tired of this already and this is getting off topic so i'll stop here

Well i do have german friends, and i say they do have different attitude than poles, of course, as they spent much time in poland i suppose they are other than common germans. Anyway, germans were never known, for their good sense of humour. No offence to them, it is rather cultural thing. Not like they are dumb, they just do not understand some jokes, because they are not taught to.

German sense of humour is rather dull, and very litteral. Unlike english or polish humour, which is rather abstract in the contrary. And the fact I have to explain it to you, means that, propably you are ignorant in this things, or have a german sense of humour or both. Plus it was joke to begin with anyway, so i just suppose you do have german sense of humour.

German sense of humour is rather dull, and very litteral. Unlike english or polish humour, which is rather abstract in the contrary. And the fact I have to explain it to you, means that, propably you are ignorant in this things, or have a german sense of humour or both. Plus it was joke to begin with anyway, so i just suppose you do have german sense of humour.

Polish humour is crap compared to British. ;) Seriously though it's not nice nor wise to generalise like that.

Polish humour is crap compared to British. ;) Seriously though it's not nice nor wise to generalise like that.

I do not agree with this statement. Polish and British humour are compareable. If you say polish humour is crap, then you propably did not had a good sample, of good polish humour. Most popular(mainflow) modern polish Kabarets, are for dummies mostly, because of several reasons... but there are few good ones, and few that had good numbers of theirs.

I do not agree with this statement. Polish and British humour are compareable. If you say polish humour is crap, then you propably did not had a good sample, of good polish humour. Most popular(mainflow) modern polish Kabarets, are for dummies mostly, because of several reasons... but there are few good ones, and few that had good numbers of theirs.

With all respect to Poland and Britain I would put the best of American comedy up with the best of yours. Groucho Harpo and Chico are eternal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeXuL4GrZVc

England is very definitely Germanic. As is France. France is more like Germany than it is like Spain or Southern Italy (Northern Italy is also Germanic).

You don't sound like one who has been to France.

Edit: Argh, I did not see Björn's (I refuse to spell it without ö) post before I posted!

I want to give some right corrections about names of the national Ideas for Russia, there have been made a two mistakes in writing.

Subednik: 10% more tax income.
- Has to be Sudebnik

Letters b and d have to be changed due to right pronunciation of this russian word.

Opprichina: 30% cheaper infantry, and 10% faster manpower recovery.

This word "Opprichina" lacks one letter, and has to be - Opprichnina with N after ch.

Last edited:
The Novgorodians should start with two traditions that should feel rather natural to anyone who played them in the previous versions of the game. They get 25% extra manpower and 20% cheaper infantry. (works well, the main problem is the mongols)

The 7 National Ideas for Novgorod:

10% more trade income.
The Streltsy: 50% higher land force limit. (works!)
Steering trade towards home
cheaper and easier westernization
Siberian Frontier: +1 colonist, and auto-exploration of all territory adjacent to owned home territory. (yes!)
cheaper & better ships for steering trade
Cheaper cores (wanna core siberia!)

The reward for gaining all seven is even more tradeincome

The Novgorodians should start with two traditions that should feel rather natural to anyone who played them in the previous versions of the game. They get 25% extra manpower and 20% cheaper infantry. (works well, the main problem is the mongols)

The 7 National Ideas for Novgorod:

10% more trade income.
The Streltsy: 50% higher land force limit. (works!)
Steering trade towards home
cheaper and easier westernization
Siberian Frontier: +1 colonist, and auto-exploration of all territory adjacent to owned home territory. (yes!)
cheaper & better ships for steering trade
Cheaper cores (wanna core siberia!)

The reward for gaining all seven is even more tradeincome

Novgorod should get stuff that make it strong on the defense, but make it very hard to expand territorially. It was after all a one city dominated republic. Most of its land were basically large areas without anyone there but nomads, and their trade posts exchanging stuff for furs.

Novgorod should not be an alternative militaristic powerhouse like Mosocowy, thats just wrong. Its not after expansion, its after trade domination, anything that hurts that (like wars) is not good.

Novgorod should get stuff that make it strong on the defense, but make it very hard to expand territorially. It was after all a one city dominated republic. Most of its land were basically large areas without anyone there but nomads, and their trade posts exchanging stuff for furs.

Novgorod should not be an alternative militaristic powerhouse like Mosocowy, thats just wrong. Its not after expansion, its after trade domination, anything that hurts that (like wars) is not good.

I think it should have diplomacy bonuses related to offering to elect the grand prince of other states; remember Alexander Nevsky? That would allow a militarily weak Novgorod to endure and perhaps even keep it's lands if you handle it's electoral politics well.

Even Muscovy wasn't above that; it was only the empty headed intolerance of Sigsimund Vasa that stopped a clever personal union of Poland-Lithuania-Muscovy (to be fair he did exactly the same thing for Poland-Lithuania Sweden he is a wonderful candidate for 0 in diplomacy stats). Offering personal unions would be a great way to level the playing field for Novgorod without absurd military stats.