Europa Universalis IV Developer Diary 10 - It all belongs to Mother Russia...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poland and russia are like germany and france. Both Germanic, but totaly different. See, the fact our churches look totaly different than russian cerkiew's. Totaly other culture actualy. I would say that we have much more common with ukrainians and bohemians than with russians. Also, much difference in language, AND other script, for alphabet.

France is not a Germanic nation.

Franks, were one of the german tribes. As were anglo-saxons.

EDIT: Which shows, the how big, is the difference between russians and poles.

Yes but no one in the world today says the French are a Germanic nation, because they speak a Latin language. I could just as easily say the Russians are Germanic too because of the Rus.

Yes but no one in the world today says the French are a Germanic nation, because they speak a Latin language. I could just as easily say the Russians are Germanic too because of the Rus.

I see litte difference between french and german, both are quite gibberish to me. The language difference is not realy big. Also, what do you mean, by term LATIN language anyway? Language of latin barbarians which invaded italy? Or roman language? Or todays latin? I realy see no reasoning that would make french latin language, more than any other language in europe.

The RUS were just rulling class, which propably did influenced the language of russians, but the people they rulled, were slavs. In case of franks, it was more that franks invaded and settled france, rather than just become the rulling class. So it is totaly different case.

Such ignorance I barely know where to begin... Right,

Franks, were one of the german tribes. As were anglo-saxons.
Correct on both accounts; that doesn't mean Franks are the same as French. Nor does it make France as Germanic country. Else Italy (Lombards) and Spain (Visigoths/Franks) would be Germanic countries too. And by extension of the latter, so Latin America would be Germanic too. But Latin America is not called Latin America because it is Germanic, quite the opposite in fact.

I see litte difference between french and german, both are quite gibberish to me.
By that logic I could claim Arabic and Chinese are probably closely related as I understand absolutely nothing of either.
The language difference is not realy big.
If you hadn't just said that "both are quite gibberish to [you]", you might have been a bit more credible... If you actually understood either of those languages, you would see that they are far from as similar as you think.
Also, what do you mean, by term LATIN language anyway?
"Latin languages" (also referred to as a Romance or Romanic language), are languages based on Latin, as opposed to Germanic languages which are based on proto-Germanic, for instance. The two groups are probably about as closely related as either group are to Slavic. So if you claim German and French are almost the same, I could claim German and Polish are almost the same, and be equally (in)correct. Typical Latin languages would be Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian; typical Germanic languages are German, Dutch, the Scandinavian languages and English (yes, English is very much a Germanic language contrary to the belief of some).

So just because you think two languages are similar because you don't understand either, it doesn't mean they are...

The RUS were just rulling class, which propably did influenced the language of russians, but the people they rulled, were slavs. In case of franks, it was more that franks invaded and settled france, rather than just become the rulling class. So it is totaly different case.
What? Are you suggesting the Franks took over France, threw out the population that existed and settled it with people from Germany? The Franks took over France, and became rulers of the local population, which was predominantly Gallo-Roman. So it is not a totally different case.

Poland and russia are like germany and france.

Germany and France are at least relevant in terms of size and power in relation to eachother. Not sure if you can compare Poland to Russia in pretty much anything really, apart from the animosity. They partitioned you couple of times, you burnt down their city, boo hoo lets hate each other forever and ever.

I see litte difference between french and german, both are quite gibberish to me. The language difference is not realy big. Also, what do you mean, by term LATIN language anyway? Language of latin barbarians which invaded italy? Or roman language? Or todays latin? I realy see no reasoning that would make french latin language, more than any other language in europe.

This got to be the highest concentration of BS I have had the pleasure to read lately. So, you really don't know what the term LATIN means? Also, French and German got to be similar 'cause they are both, and I quote, "quite gibberish to me"?! And, please do tell, what is "todays latin" and what's the difference between it and "roman language"? At last, who the hell are the "latin barbarians which invaded italy"?!?!?! I really want to know how latins (ancient inhabitants of Italy's central region known as Lazio... you know: the one with Rome in the middle) can invade Italy?!

The language difference is not realy big.
Linguistically speaking, German is a Germanic language (surprise!) from the West Germanic branch while French is a Romance Language from the Galloroman branch. Russian and Polish are both Slavic languages, though from different branches: Polish is West Slavic and Russian is East Slavic. This is comparable to the difference of German (West Germanic) and Swedish (North Germanic).

However, culture is more than language. Religion also plays an important part and here we have France, Germany and Poland being influenced by Roman Christianity (later called catholic) while Russia was christianized by monks from Constantinople (later called orthodox). Then there's historical influence - be it by friendly relations or warfare. Here, Poland has close ties to Germany as well as Russia. Poles invaded Russia and tried to install a false Dmitry on the throne. In modern times, Poland has been part of the Russian-dominated Warsaw Pact. But Poles also saved Vienna from the Turks, elected a Saxon to be their king and in modern times have joined the German- and French-dominated European Union. So I'd say it's a tie.

I realy see no reasoning that would make french latin language, more than any other language in europe.
Pick 10 random words from the dictionary. Look up their equivalents in French, German and Classical Latin (the language of the Ancient Romans). I predict a majority of them will look alike in French and Latin, but look different in German.

Nope, the Franks were but the ruling class either. As were the Lombards in northern Italy and the Visigoths in Iberia. Their subjects were mostly Romans and romanized Gauls. At least in the western part of Charlemagne's Empire which constituted today's France. In the eastern part of his empire there were indeed some Frankish-settled areas, mainly in the kingdom of Austrasia. These lands, together with the lands of the Alemanni, Bavarians and Saxons who had been subjugated by Charlemagne or his predecessors, later developed into the East Franconian Empire aka Holy Roman Empire aka Germany.

England is very definitely Germanic. As is France. France is more like Germany than it is like Spain or Southern Italy (Northern Italy is also Germanic).

French is the most germanic of the latin languages, there's about 3% of its words that derive from German. Less so in Spanish and Italian.

English is the most latin of the germanic languages, as about 1/2 to 2/3 of their vocabulary was brought over from France by the Normans. The structure of the language is still germanic though.

Nobody can deny the germanic influence on western Europe. The germanic tribes formed post ancient central and western Europe. Their kingdoms became the foundament of the medieval world, and shaped Europe as we know it today.

French is the most germanic of the latin languages, there's about 3% of its words that derive from German. Less so in Spanish and Italian.

English is the most latin of the germanic languages, as about 1/2 to 2/3 of their vocabulary was brought over from France by the Normans. The structure of the language is still germanic though.

This is also my understanding of things.

Modern French are a combination of Germanics who mixed with locals (so its part one part other), so its language is kind of in between, but its still more latin than Germanic.

English language is basically Germanic core with lots of words just taken from French. This was kind of apparent to me from early on as i had studied French 4 years before English in elementary school (French from first grade, English from 4th IIRC).

Germany and France are at least relevant in terms of size and power in relation to eachother. Not sure if you can compare Poland to Russia in pretty much anything really, apart from the animosity. They partitioned you couple of times, you burnt down their city, boo hoo lets hate each other forever and ever.

Nah, it is totaly wrong from your side to say that. Poland, was simmiliar size as russia during the gameframe. The fact now it changed, does not change the fact of the big difference between us. Aspecialy linguistic difference. Also remember, that russians settled big number of tartar lands, and whole siberia. People who name themselves russians, are about 79% of the population, but propably, if you would look at their roots more closely, you would findout lot of them not being ethnic russians at all. In my opinon, number of ethnic poles, could be simmiliar to number of russians now, with russians numbers being only slightly bigger. Knowing that lot of poles emigrated from poland long ago, and they had families in those places. But would be matter for totaly other discussion anyway.

What? Are you suggesting the Franks took over France, threw out the population that existed and settled it with people from Germany? The Franks took over France, and became rulers of the local population, which was predominantly Gallo-Roman. So it is not a totally different case.

Well, franks also did colonized the terrain of france, it was more a mix of french and gaul-romans. If you are saying that the fact that language is latin, make it NOT germanic, this is not true. this fact does not change it. Language can be both germanic, and latin at the same time. Like they are both franks, and gauls partialy.

If you say that it is simmiliar as in russia, then you may be right, it only does prove my point, over the simmiliarity between germany-france and poland-

No. England us Germanic, France definitely is not.
Talking about languages: definitely. Talking about history and culture, France might indeed have more in common with Germany than with Spain, depending on what aspects you look at. The teachings of a certain German monk found a wide audience in France, while they were barely recieved in Spain, and one of his most influential disciples was a Frenchman. Gothic architecture was widespread in France and Germany, but nearly absent from Spain.

And yet, while there was a wide audience in France, in the end, France fell back on the Catholic side, and its Protestant leader had to convert to Catholicism to rule the country.

France is, indeed, much more than Spain or Italy, a meeting ground between Germanic and Latin influences. I think I'd describe French culture as the reverse of the English language. One is Germanic with lots of Latin influence (via French); the other is Latin with a wide streak of Germanic influence.

One way or another, describing France as Germanic is bollocks. There's a mix of elements, but certainly not enough to depict France as primarily Germanic

Last edited: