• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So... if manual promotion is ended, how does V2 handle the promotion of cultural minorities? Same as in V1, except coded into the algorithms to say "if cultural minority, and if non-full citizenship policy, don't promote"?

This DD made me really excited for this game. I like how each city has a living population unlike EUIII where its just a number, i also like how the population has an opinion :rofl:.

Just a question (sorry if its been asked) but would making a dynamic population for every city in every province have a negative effect on game speed? it seems like it would take up alotta ram lol.

...this is Victoria 2, you understand? These ideas have been field tested.

Go take it for a spin, see if you like it.

So... if manual promotion is ended, how does V2 handle the promotion of cultural minorities? Same as in V1, except coded into the algorithms to say "if cultural minority, and if non-full citizenship policy, don't promote"?

Hopefully not.

At the moment we have not done anything, but our idea is discriminatory policies against minorities reduce the chances of them promoting up the ladder.

At the moment we have not done anything, but our idea is discriminatory policies against minorities reduce the chances of them promoting up the ladder.

Even if promoted up the ladder are minorities less productive or somehow different under everything except full citizenship? Or will they simply not benefit from social reforms unless living under full citizenship regime? IE- pay taxes but not receive the benefits?

Even if promoted up the ladder are minorities less productive or somehow different under everything except full citizenship? Or will they simply not benefit from social reforms unless living under full citizenship regime? IE- pay taxes but not receive the benefits?

It would be nice if they were just as productive under the optimal laws, but it should make your primary culture POPs militant if they get competition from minorities.

They should definitelly be more militant without voting rights. Slightely less than majority under dictatorship, but still. It would be interesting to have productivity connected with militancy, as was already discussed. That (combined with nationalist movement) would surely make them worse POP types to have.
This also brings me to idea, how nationalism and immigration would cooperate. It is most likely too early to ask, but I don't want to see italian/irish/german/slavic nationalist rebels rising in USA/Argentina/Brazil/etc.

I find it odd no one have brought this up yet, perhaps because it is not so much related to the graphs at hand.

But what keeps bugging me about that screenshot is that it is clearly the United States in 1836, yet somehow North Dakota (among other examples) are states, and there are simply too many stars on the flag for this time.

I assume the obvious answer here is; 'it's alpha, it'll be historical accurate once we get around to do that'. But it still leaves me hanging with a question; will the American flag increase correctly in star amount as it historically did? Or will I have to wait for a flag modifications for that to happen?

And related to the topic; these graphs are simplifying an overly complicated part of the gameplay. Nice...

I find it odd no one have brought this up yet, perhaps because it is not so much related to the graphs at hand.

But what keeps bugging me about that screenshot is that it is clearly the United States in 1836, yet somehow North Dakota (among other examples) are states, and there are simply too many stars on the flag for this time.

I assume the obvious answer here is; 'it's alpha, it'll be historical accurate once we get around to do that'. But it still leaves me hanging with a question; will the American flag increase correctly in star amount as it historically did? Or will I have to wait for a flag modifications for that to happen?

And related to the topic; these graphs are simplifying an overly complicated part of the gameplay. Nice...

Colonial territory appears in the list too.

Colonial territory appears in the list too.

Are there any difference between them and regular states other than... aesthetics? If so, shouldn't there be a slightly different appearance of the states on the list (and perhaps sort them last)? Regardless, the the flag is wrong.

just a quick question on the mechanics side, does literacy play a part in pop promotions and does it affect the overall litteracy of the pops?

eg. a 'farmer' pop starts to trickle to clerks or capies would litteracy be a factor? would the litterate farmers be chosen over the illiterate or would it just be random?

just a quick question on the mechanics side, does literacy play a part in pop promotions and does it affect the overall litteracy of the pops?

eg. a 'farmer' pop starts to trickle to clerks or capies would litteracy be a factor? would the litterate farmers be chosen over the illiterate or would it just be random?

literacy is one of the factors we have to play with, but the actual promotion logic is not done.

A souped up national focus sounds interesting, but what might be even better would be a "national priority". Something like "promote industry", or even a more specific "promote steel production"/"recruitment drive"/"encourage literacy" etc. to give your nation a little nudge in the direction you want it to go. Then again, perhaps you can already do this through your spending policys etc.

A souped up national focus sounds interesting, but what might be even better would be a "national priority". Something like "promote industry", or even a more specific "promote steel production"/"recruitment drive"/"encourage literacy" etc. to give your nation a little nudge in the direction you want it to go. Then again, perhaps you can already do this through your spending policys etc.

Ok, here is a Q. Do you need clerks to make Capitalists? Or can the lower classes promote themselves to Aristocracy / Capitalists? Or will they need to become middle class first. The reason for my Q is a state without factories will likely not have clerks, which means it may have trouble getting enough capitalists to build a factory in that state. Or has that changed, and Capitalists can now build factories anywhere?

I also hope there will be a "encourage capitalists" focus so you can get Cappies making factories in other states. Was odd to split a POP and promote 10k of them to cappies by hand just so Ohio got Factories.

I do worry this will be like Rome, but they had 3 pop types and and Vicky 2 has around 12. But it looks like encouraging promotion is a matter of taxation - more taxes = less money for pops = less vertical mobility. In Vic Rev, there was no real reason to not heavily tax the lower and middle classes, now less taxes for lower class = more promotion to middle class.

Ok, here is a Q. Do you need clerks to make Capitalists? Or can the lower classes promote themselves to Aristocracy / Capitalists? Or will they need to become middle class first. The reason for my Q is a state without factories will likely not have clerks, which means it may have trouble getting enough capitalists to build a factory in that state. Or has that changed, and Capitalists can now build factories anywhere?

Artisans are the key. Every nation has them, they are middle class and if I understood all those hints correctly, they will be able to evolve into capitalists. I would also say, that aristocrats would be able to do the same.

I think Free Citizenship should not be as much a no-brainer as it was in Vic1. Maybe the minority policy should be a sliding scale between a lot of militancy for the national culture vs a lot of militancy for minorities.
Then you would have the choice of swallowing a lot of militancy for fast assimilation vs playing it safe.

Are there any difference between them and regular states other than... aesthetics? If so, shouldn't there be a slightly different appearance of the states on the list (and perhaps sort them last)? Regardless, the the flag is wrong.

Technically, that flag is wrong too. ;)

I think Free Citizenship should not be as much a no-brainer as it was in Vic1.

Actually, I would love (actually, I expect something like that) much more detailed policies regarding the citizenshp then just 4 staged system of Vicky 1. Multiple national decisions should rise or lower the differences between various cultural/religious groups in the country - it doesn't have to be as simple as ruling party prefered choice.

It should be more like "you have ruling party with citizenship policy A, so you can implement national policies X, Y, Z, but if you change to the ruling party with citizenship policy B, you can implement P, Q and X (X only if P and Q are on already)".