• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, the soldiers would seem to grow in numbers then, in the case where you invest larger sums into military spending.

Automatic promotion sounds good, but how to then control things?
What if i wanna play Tsar of Russia and do this thing historically. Could there be royal decree decisions for absolute monarchies ?

So that I can make a decision when war is coming (either nationwise or provincial), to make officers go to the peasants and say, "You and you and yes you too! go to the recruitment office immidiately, you are now drafted for the next 20 years."

Then perhaps get a higher militancy and pay cost to the nobles who own these serfs, but increasing the factors significantly upon which farmers are promoted to soldiers.

This happened you know in Tsarist Russia. Would be fun if it could be historical with these old school systems, as long as there is no reform that you made to liberalize your Russia. Then such an option could simply dissapear.

IRL during these events the Russians held memorial ceremony for their men who went to the army already as they left the village, for they knew they were not likely coming back. It was clearly not a volunteer thing over there ;)

Just wondering... in New Orleans, Louisiana, the religious % of the population probably shouldn't be 75% Prot/25% Cath... The other way, maybe.

Just wondering... in New Orleans, Louisiana, the religious % of the population probably shouldn't be 75% Prot/25% Cath... The other way, maybe.

Wow, you just caused me huge shock... I saw Dev diary with number ending with 0 and my extatic eyes already saw 20 instead of 10... :wacko:

But to your post. I am sure those numbers were not definite. Paradox and VIP team made a lot of work in this aspect and if not anything, Vicky 2 will have very acurate numbers. There I have no fear at all.

I'm wondering how conscription will be handled?

Any chance that there will be labor requirements for construction?

No, that would mess up economy. Every start would either be delayed until imigration kicks in or there would be large number of unemployed people.

Last edited:
It's a management issue. Yes unemployed would be useful and so would mobile foreign unemployed. These are not necessarily disadvantages in a simulation, but challenges for the player.

But what is lost by not doing that is an entire segment of the economy and natural limits on how things get done.

Further, construction projects like the Panama Canal and the US Continental RRs provided for a vast movement of foreign labor.

Labor movement and migration also provided profits and incentives for the transport industries.

It does mean that you need some 'seasonal' workers but it would also be possible to have 'construction' companies that maintain an employed labor pool.

Simulating the need for labor gives insight into why some things are done and the motives for policies. Also there is the ability then to show the effects of technological improvements.

Art work looks good and the improvements announced seem moving in a good direction.

Are all the pops going to continue to be European or will we have Africans that look African and Chinese who look Chinese? As distinct from culture.

--

I'm still uncomfortable with 'capitalist' populations. They should be leaders who have an Company (or trust), similar to a factory or rgo, that employs a ratio of clerks and laborers. It be funded by the contributions of of the pops who would get a return, or nothing if it went bankrupt.

The company would accept investment money or loans and purchase or build factories rgos and railroads. or what ever else needs to be done. It would consume paper and transfer profits to its 'investors' and owner.

--

Could pops buy and keep durable goods like autos. The number of autos owned determining fuel demand?

What is a pop's cost of housing? Is he paying rent or a mortgage, freehold or homeless?

Could pops own shares of companies/rgos/factories?

--

Could pops gain experience while working in factories or RGOs similar to how army units gain experience so they work more efficiently. If the pops return to their pop bucket they distribute that of experience proportionately.

Army units should also be more like factories, consuming materials and losing effectiveness if they are not available.
--

To model death and fertility rates:

Jobs and particular factories/rgos should have an attrition rate. Working conditions were often hazardous. Environmental pollution should be modeled and contribute to death rates.

There should be a distinct pop for baby makers and distinct factors affecting their output considered. Issues of maternity deaths can be tracked and addressed. The simple model would be if they work they stop reproducing.

There should be pops for infants, working/school age children and youths. Policies for education and work can then affect them directly. The other advantage for youth pops is that they can become something other than their fathers.

There should be pops for old people so retirement costs and health costs can be modeled. gives the chance to track life span improvements.

Every pop should produce some effluvia. So put enough pops and farms/factories in one spot, and ick, there goes the life rating.

--

Education and literacy.

In order to learn pops need to spend time in an institution of learning, or all the money you spend on it is wasted.

This means that having youth pops you can model the process of education and the effects of working youth. It's also a great place to put your unemployed.

One idea is if the work hours are reduced the working pops can attend some school. And also have leisure spending.

I understand that you have the present idea to use clerics, but I think that is not particularly good to confabulate the roles.

Set up schools and have them staffed by clerks. Sell bits of literacy. The church can sell literacy too. Doing it this way allows you to have policies were you can choose to subsidize education and religion separately. And pops can buy their own. If you do it this way education becomes very simple and understandable, and so does the role of the church.

Using a bell curve you could assign a intellect value to your pops and thus know who can benefit from what level of education.

Schools and Universities could also do research, and maybe companies too.
--

My ideal is a leader/pop/structure paradigm that is necessary to implement all game activities. And that all money spent goes to pops to spend if it isn't sitting in an institution.

--

Suggested RGO/Factorys:

-Investment Trust.
-School/University. (sells literacy and does some research according to policy)
-Construction Company. (builds stuff)
-Church. (sells religion to interested pops)
-Museum (employs pops as artists generates prestige and does some research)
-Theater (employs pops as artists sells entertainment, competes with church) consumes cloth, paper.
-Hospital (employs educated pops as doctors and nurses, and laborers) consumes medicine, paper, cloth.
-Criminal Enterprises (as independent factories, not just a province feature, thus you could have more than one)

Some criminal enterprises are could be legitimate under different law. For example a distillery or brothel. Imagine a state comprised entirely of criminal enterprises. yumm!

--

Pops should require and pay for transport services.

Last edited: