• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Or that they'll actually mean something? Return of Contest Succession (or whatever it was called) CB??? Pretty please?

This would be great.

Reactions:
I don't know that I'd use the word "farcically" but yeah, I intentionally posed that question in a manner to indicate the absurdity of pointing to a dev diary and saying "Hey, look, the game is getting killed!" You disagree? That pattern of thinking makes sense to you?...

It is not about agreeing (which belongs elsewhere as a topic) but rather use of a dog whistle to elicit an expected response. Setting a false dichotomy at the end there is also unnecessary, especially since I have no intent on furthering the discussion path of understanding and making things up.

Now, back on topic: Groogy made an interesting statement that this interface disclosure's point was that "these things are for free".

I had thought the point of the DD was to show us upcoming improvement, regardless of actual cost to the gamer. To find out that the DD was pointedly geared towards self-promoting a virtue is disappointing.

UI improvements really add a lot to the game's playability and it is this characteristic which excites me rather than it being a "free" improvement. I would like everyone working on these quality-of-life improvements to know that I appreciate them for their own sake. The wonderful Coat-of-Arms added by Q/A team members are examples that I appreciate all the more each time I am able to utilize them.

So to those team members working on "the little things": thank you.

Reactions:
Now do these flavorful Government Types do anything?

If yes, awesome! If no, boo!

Reactions:

Pretty sure this is a face lift. There's nothing on the screen shot that appears to change existing functionality.

Reactions:
I think you are missing the point, these things are for free, you don't pay any money to get them.

Not entirly true, since you do this in your worktime and "we" as customer pay your worktime if we buy the DLCs. Of course, if someone really just bought the basegame, and just uses the new patches, it would be free for him. But many/most of us buy the DLCs and with that we finance this work.

But don't take this the wrong way, I like the interface improvment. I am personally ok with that.

Reactions:
Imperial Governments.

Inland Republics.

Major Retinue/Unit and Tactics rework.

Or bust.

I'm pretty certain it's a facelift fluffy explanation of what you have for a government, and if it's a "Genderlaw+Inheritencelaw+Titlelevel", then anything from that could already be grabbed.

I'm always happy to welcome Interface changes! Small things like a nice layout just adds that little bit extra to the game for me. :D

Reactions:
@rageair good job! I like it! Is this where you've disappeared to?

Rageair is one of the embedded QA on the team, but made a guest appearance on the EU4 expansion some weeks ago. He also played a large part in creating the suggested design for this new interface that we decided to implement.

All the stuff that goes into them already have gameplay effects. The government types we show here are more targeting people who like to RP.

Not entirly true, since you do this in your worktime and "we" as customer pay your worktime if we buy the DLCs. Of course, if someone really just bought the basegame, and just uses the new patches, it would be free for him. But many/most of us buy the DLCs and with that we finance this work.

But don't take this the wrong way, I like the interface improvment. I am personally ok with that.

Partly true, but it's not necessarily the sales of the next dlc that finances the free stuff we're working on and management could very well decide to not give us budget for free stuff and only to make paid features.

On the topic of what content we have in dev diaries. We've been doing dev diaries for a long time and we've been making games for a long time. Over this time our processes have changed and one such change is when and how we announce new projects (we barely had marketing for expansions before). Previously we'd announce earlier and in the days of EU3, V2 and HOI3, we didn't make expansions back to back like we do now, thus there was no team working on most titles at a given time and no expectations of dev diaries or "signs of life" unless we explicitly announced that we were working on an expansion.
We have a lot of changes stored up, but until the expansion is announced we're only giving you small bits and pieces. Complaining about it won't do you any good.

Reactions:
We have a lot of changes stored up, but until the expansion is announced we're only giving you small bits and pieces. Complaining about it won't do you any good.

Most of us appreciate the diaries, Birken. Sorry you have to deal with complaints. Some people just love to complain, no matter what you do for them....

Reactions:
It looks brilliant, though I'll admit when reading the title thread I was hoping for some more in depth changes. Who knows that might be in a future DD (or not), regardless I like the cosmetic changes and the bonus flavour government name.

Reactions:
Will you use a different font type for the government flavor name? The current font looks a little bland. It'd be nice to have font that's more medieval themed.

You can find tons of better font types just by googling. And just about anything would look better than the font you used.

Medieval%20Scribish.ttf.png

Dearest%20Outline.ttf.png

I read that as "Medieval Scrub".

Hands up if you're a Medieval scrub

\o/

Reactions:
On the topic of what content we have in dev diaries. We've been doing dev diaries for a long time and we've been making games for a long time. Over this time our processes have changed and one such change is when and how we announce new projects (we barely had marketing for expansions before). Previously we'd announce earlier and in the days of EU3, V2 and HOI3, we didn't make expansions back to back like we do now, thus there was no team working on most titles at a given time and no expectations of dev diaries or "signs of life" unless we explicitly announced that we were working on an expansion.
I appreciate the dev diaries, even if they are brief. Such signs of life are important for letting us know that the game still lives and breathes. :)

Reactions:
Any chance you'd be willing to announce when you are going to make the announcement of the next DLC? Or if you'd be willing to announce when you will be announcing when you will be announcing the next DLC?

Reactions:
I think you are missing the point, these things are for free, you don't pay any money to get them.

Unless you are making these changes in your free time, we pay for them indirectly. Every time we buy an expansion, that is a pool of money that is used to cover all development expenses.

Reactions:
Any chance you'd be willing to announce when you are going to make the announcement of the next DLC? Or if you'd be willing to announce when you will be announcing when you will be announcing the next DLC?

I can disclose that there will be some kind of reveal before Christmas.

Unless you are making these changes in your free time, we pay for them indirectly. Every time we buy an expansion, that is a pool of money that is used to cover all development expenses.

Well, Groogy is working on stuff in CK2 in his free time quiet often, but this particular feature was at least partly done during office hours, but Rageair put in a lot of work in his spare time.

Reactions:
This is great. An interface overhaul is certainly welcome. Two questions regarding this:

Will there be more view toggle buttons (I mean the ones beside the played character's portrait) or will the views take more space?

Are we going to see more interface improvements in the next big patch (whenever it arrives)?

Last edited:
If there is to be a change to the laws UI it would be extremely helpful to rework the menu that opens for opponents of a law change. When hovering over the button in the current laws screen when a law change vote is occurring, you can see the opponents names and the votes they have in the decision in the popup. When you actually click on the button to interact with the opponents the votes total is not present so you cannot see or sort on which individuals will give you the most votes for your money/titles.

Well, Groogy is working on stuff in CK2 in his free time quiet often, but this particular feature was at least partly done during office hours, but Rageair put in a lot of work in his spare time.
NERDS! Wait... I'm a nerd too. Damn it!

Reactions: