• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for the DD and reveal of the redesign.

Another point: "We're spoiled"

This dev diary in between launches thing is relatively new all around. EU4 started it first and only recently, CK2 is dabbling in it now. I don't think it's a sign of anything specifically.

How many other dev studios would get fan responses of "Is this game dead?" every time they post ("too little") information?

No. DD's on a regular basis is not a newly used devise - and your question at the end is farcically posed. We as a community are no more "spoiled" than Paradox as a developer is "spoiled". The relationship between the community and the studio may be unique or have unique elements to it that others do not share but this does not equate to being "spoiled".

The DD as a communication tool has been regularly used throughout Paradox's history. Some developers use it more and have more experience in using it than others.

What is new and what every community member should appreciate is the commitment of this current CK2 team to this devise. Some people have a harder time communicating this way than others.

There are things that I dislike (such as the re-emergence of deference to the EUiv flagship in marketing etc shown recently) but I am very thankful this DD deployment effort is in effect. This type of effort only grows more important as the game and its community matures, something I've been saying since I first started speaking up here.

Reactions:
Thank you for the DD and reveal of the redesign.

No. DD's on a regular basis is not a newly used devise - and your question at the end is farcically posed. We as a community are no more "spoiled" than Paradox as a developer is "spoiled". The relationship between the community and the studio may be unique or have unique elements to it that others do not share but this does not equate to being "spoiled".

The DD as a communication tool has been regularly used throughout Paradox's history. Some developers use it more and have more experience in using it than others.

What is new and what every community member should appreciate is the commitment of this current CK2 team to this devise. Some people have a harder time communicating this way than others.

There are things that I dislike (such as the re-emergence of deference to the EUiv flagship in marketing etc shown recently) but I am very thankful this DD deployment effort is in effect. This type of effort only grows more important as the game and its community matures, something I've been saying since I first started speaking up here.

I don't know that I'd use the word "farcically" but yeah, I intentionally posed that question in a manner to indicate the absurdity of pointing to a dev diary and saying "Hey, look, the game is getting killed!" You disagree? That pattern of thinking makes sense to you?

None of the recent set of titles have had dev diaries prior to the start of teasing (or the actual announcement of) a new expansion. EU4's team wasn't writing non-release-centric dev diaries until a few weeks before The Cossacks teasers. Vicky 2 only ever had diaries related to a release. CK2, until this set, had followed that pattern.

I kind of get the idea that you completely missed the point of what I said, clicked the quote button, and made up a response to something you felt I could have been saying...

Interface redesign? Oh please tell me the intrigue window has been overhauled!

Reactions:
I believe that CKII, along with other Clausewitz games, handles fonts in an antiquated way. It does not use the operating system's normal on-the-fly creation of glyphs. Instead certain glyphs (selected according to Windows-1252, originally the character set for Windows 1.0!) have been saved as bitmaps, and PDX then use custom code to build them into words. Adding another font would presumably mean checking all the code (including any ugly hacks) still worked as intended, so it's not straightforward.

IMHO, 21st century font handling should be a priority for all future Paradox games (starting from HoI4 and Stellaris), but it's an under-the-hood change that will involve lots of developer time for little immediate player benefit. I can understand the temptation to focus on other things that look good in the next dev diary.....
One immediate player benefit would be that we could have scalable font sizes, instead of having to squint to read the text or use mods for larger font sizes.

One immediate player benefit would be that we could have scalable font sizes, instead of having to squint to read the text or use mods for larger font sizes.

Yeah. Not all of us players have 20/20 vision. My eyes aren't just bad. They're really bad, so bad, in fact, that when i bought my new glasses, they gave me a discount on the price because the prescription was so strong...

Scalable font would be a purely unmitigated blessing for me...

Reactions:
This could be aight.

Nice improvment to the so-called quality of life of the game, with some additional flavour!

Please make it so that we can view other realms' laws in this view as well. Sometimes you don't want your monarch with a strong claim and a female heir bothering to go after an Agnatic-only realm.

It also helps to know who all of the pretenders are as well.

Edit: or at least expose it for modding

Last edited:
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Birken :). An overhaul of the laws UI and no more scrolling is definitely welcome. Flavour names and pics are also a nice touch :).

Reactions:
interfaces improvements are great, but not worthy of my money... I hope newt Dev goes further into real changes

Reactions:
interfaces improvements are great, but not worthy of my money... I hope newt Dev goes further into real changes
I think you are missing the point, these things are for free, you don't pay any money to get them.

Reactions: