• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe instead of those out-of-place looking icons we just get a nice, fresh, new map mode (there are never not enough map modes)?
They should show prosperity statistics on the province tab - not on the map - and then have a dedicated mapmode with colors and icons, similarly as to how development works in EU4.

Reactions:
That is just one of the possible events, not the only one. It will of course not fire if there can be no more slots added. The slot isn't removed if it stops Prospering either.
Could you consider having a possibility of holdings being destroyed during severe depopulation? Since as mentioned that is historical.

Reactions:
These are some great changes. This will finally make it possible to shape provinces more, meaning you can to an extent choose which area you want to make viable as your capital duchy. Coastal provinces will always be king of course, but in reality location is not the only thing that dictated the prosperity of regions. Now we won't feel so locked into history in terms of where is best, which is fantastic.

I'd also love to see some (extremely costly) way of converting holdings though. It's not a huge deal to me, but I feel we should have a way to slowly turn temple and castle holdings into cities somehow. I'm looking at you Rome!

Reactions:
This is really cool. I remember a game where I played as a Kingdom of York and I kept my capital in York for RP reasons, but it was a sad little capital. Hopefully now if I want to do it again I can make it the greatest city in Europe.

Reactions:
I love the idea of going tall, developing holding slots instead of making brugge my capital every European playthrough - What i'm hoping to see/ideas:

1. using prosperity as a mechanism to convert from Feudal to Republic without gimmicks and speed 5 shenanigans in ironman.

2. Right now we have a silk road that stays in the same place for 700 years. Prosperity as a mechanism to produce a node to that route, or alternatively, a new 'road' of trade if conditions and events allow for it.

3. Prosperity is obviously going to have interactions with Vikings - 'if province has not been raided' - and currently the Viking age as a catholic player in 769/ToG is a 400 year+ game of whack a mole or 'let them siege your counties because the amount they loot is less than the cost of dealing with them', its boring, really. Deals with Vikings not for land but for trade rights (Ala Dublin in this timeframe) at the expense of regional opinion malus and benefit of local prosperity increases (A viking Pirate / berber pirate company in your employ like we have with mercenary companies?)

Reactions:
This is going to entirely change the "what should my capital / capital duchy be" game.
Well, it'll change it, but we'll see how much, in truth. The holdings that are already full of building slots will have a huge head start, and it looks like it costs nearly as much to create a new holding slot as a new holding. Depending on how long it takes for those events to fire, it might be quite the uphill battle to make a bad county worthwhile.

Well, it'll change it, but we'll see how much, in truth. The holdings that are already full of building slots will have a huge head start, and it looks like it costs nearly as much to create a new holding slot as a new holding. Depending on how long it takes for those events to fire, it might be quite the uphill battle to make a bad county worthwhile.

This could at least somewhat be balanced out by nerfing some of the currently overpowered duchies. With this new system there won't be nearly as big a need to give out slots to duchies that were historically very prosperous, since how the game goes will instead shape that. Coastal provinces will always be the best, so places like Flanders and Sicily would still have the advantage that they should have.

@Darkrenown @Divine Does the scripted effect to add more holding slots that appear there also mean we will get a scripted effect to destroy holding slots? If the answer is no, can we get that added in?

I disagree unless you only meant unused holding slots. If you did mean that though then I agree.

Reactions:
Sorry if this has been already mentioned, but has there been anything said of trying to fix some of the game performance. As all these things for the mid-late game sound cool, but when the game slows down that much in the mid game, then I normally start a new game, so these features will be wasted.

Reactions:

Right but I'm talking macro, looking at your whole run long term. I'm saying this will drastically affect the question I always ask myself of do you want this to be your capital for the entire play through.

I think in my games there is the notion that you started here I tend to stay in that duchy, or near there. But there are other games where you get to the top title in the area and you start to re-evaluate where your capital is.

It's like @Kozmkz said, instead of say gravitating toward Brugge for it's six holdings you're going to be tempted to maybe not. This will make deciding to move your capital duchy much more significant.

And maybe there is a cap that they simply haven't mentioned, yet maybe we won't be able to go up to 6 holdings with every province. Who knows.

But honestly the amount of time it takes is irrelevant, even if it takes 400 - 500 years to fire, + keeping up prosperity levels, even with both of these the ability to build holdings will change how you evaluate your capital / potential capital, for the better I think.

Flanders and Thrace, and Rome will still be top choices, but now you will have the option of maybe staying here and actually building your "family land" to potentially be as good, even if it takes centuries.

Edit and this whole prosperity system will help what a lot of players think is too slow of a "peace" game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
These are some great changes. This will finally make it possible to shape provinces more, meaning you can to an extent choose which area you want to make viable as your capital duchy. Coastal provinces will always be king of course, but in reality location is not the only thing that dictated the prosperity of regions. Now we won't feel so locked into history in terms of where is best, which is fantastic.

I'd also love to see some (extremely costly) way of converting holdings though. It's not a huge deal to me, but I feel we should have a way to slowly turn temple and castle holdings into cities somehow. I'm looking at you Rome!

Double the cost of what it cost to build would be nice.

Reactions: