• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very interesting. I think I may have heard the goose alarm story in the past, but not the one about canine crucifixion. And the Romans would call others barbarians! I can imagine the the look on Bernardius’ face if he was told to crucify a chicken! :D:eek:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
As Voltaire might say if he had been Roman;

Romae bonum hortari alios subinde canes crucifigendum (In Rome it is good to crucify a dog from time to time, to encourage the others).

“Against corruption? A good thing, surely, Humphronius,” remarked an eager-looking Bernardius as he waited with Humphronius to conduct the usual handover brief.
I imagine Bernardius is just getting tired of carrying around such massive bags of gold to give to all the rebellious generals. I'm certain he can distinguish between disgusting corruption (bribing generals) and the vital and honourable lubrication of the wheels of good governance (all the gifts and bribes he and Humphronius, though mostly Humphronius, are pocketing).

Last edited:
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Final comment feedback before the next compact little chapter goes up, that finishes off the previous play session.
As Voltaire might say if he had been Roman;

Romae bonum hortari alios subinde canes crucifigendum (In Rome it is good to crucify a dog from time to time, to encourage the others).
How very apposite. ;)
I imagine Bernardius is just getting tired of carrying around such massive bags of gold to give to all the rebellious generals. I'm certain he can distinguish between disgusting corruption (bribing generals) and the vital and honourable lubrication of the wheels of good governance (all the gifts and bribes he and Humphronius, though mostly Humphronius, are pocketing).
This is very much on-message. You will see more of this soon. And it's one general in particular who sees the massive bags of gold as more of a standard salary than anything else.
Ah, very good! :D Applies directly to one of our generals.

Reactions:
Chapter XCIV: Interbellum (3 December 574 AUC/179 BC to 30 May 577 AUC/176 BC)
Chapter XCIV: Interbellum
(3 December 574 AUC/179 BC to 30 May 577 AUC/176 BC)

5HaTES.jpg

Foreword

Consul Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio, a righteous member of the Religious faction, had been elected to the senior Roman magistracy on 2 December 574 AUC (179 BC). Rome was at peace, other than for occasional barbarian risings and incursions – none of which were currently in progress. The focus was on rebuilding Roman manpower reserves that had been sapped by the long war in the East; and on colonisation in the West, in Hispania and northern Gaul.

In the East, the long and gruelling Seleucid civil war continued, with the Rebels – friends and allies of Rome – gaining a strong upper hand. Egypt had taken the opportunity to attack the Seleucids, but when Rome rejected their request to join this new war of aggression, the alliance between them had been sundered – though both still provided each other military access. Egypt was using that access to march its forces all the way from Africa, through Hispania and Roman territory and then (it was presumed) all the way through Illyria and Thrace to Asia Minor.

§§§§§§§

December 574 to June 575 AUC

Things in the Republic remained quiet during the early months of Scipio’s magistracy. Other than generally railing against corruption in public life and threatening to root it out, the first event of any note recorded in this period was the failure of an omen called in early February.

4lihlo.jpg

While the chicken was roasted, the Capitoline Geese (one of which is depicted above) gobbled away, perhaps warning Rome against ill signs. [This one’s for you, @Wraith11B ;) ]

In March 575, the post-war manpower surplus reached 12,166 men, with none required as replacements in the legions. The monthly gain was 2,282.

By early April, the loyalty of leading general T.A. Barbula (‘Bribula’) was once against wavering [to 47%]. Appointments as an Augur and Pontifex helped assuage him a little [+5% each].

Then in early April came shock news: Consul Scipio died suddenly, supposedly of ‘old age’ – though he was only 45 at the time. There were suspicions about what really may have happened to him, but not any credible evidence of foul play. Humphronius gave his best display of faux grief. Which turned to consternation and anger when he found out who the Senate had elected to replace the righteous Scipio.

Jg9AmV.jpg

Consul Falto – also relatively young for the post at 45 – was just as religious and righteous as his predecessor. His charisma and military prowess would be useful in running the Republic – though his administrative finesse was lacking and would be felt in the economic sphere.

At that time, the Religious faction remained dominant in the Senate, but Military men filled many of the key senior appointments and were leading candidates for the next consulship, despite the relative numerical weakness of their faction. It seemed good generals were just more popular than most.

wnYROu.jpg

§§§§§§§

July to December 575 AUC

Even though there seemed not to have been much fighting between Egypt and the (Loyalist) Seleucids of late, Egyptian manpower reserves had fallen significantly in recent months, down by over 50,000 to 111,000 by early July. Bernardius reported to Consul Falto that attrition during their long march through the Republic to the east may be to blame, but this could not be confirmed.

“Whatever the cause, it is useful in the longer term,” observed Falto.

“Yes, Consul,” agreed both Bernardius and Humphronius simultaneously. Egypt’s enormous manpower reserves had long made Roman commanders uneasy, even while they had been allies.

In September, T.A. ‘Bribula’ required another shipment of 50 gold to buy his loyalty [+25% this time, to 68%].

On 11 October a barbarian uprising in recently colonised Arevaci (central Hispania) was savagely suppressed after eight days of fighting by M.J. Bubulcus’ Legio X, which remained there in garrison. He only lost 37 of his 15,000 men, while all 2,000 of the Titti barbarians were wiped out.

“Tough Titti,” was all Bubulcus had to say as another 2,000 wailing slaves were march off to the markets.

On 1 November, the hoped-for barbarian rising in Pictones occurred: the numbers were even on paper, as 4,000 Taurini warriors came screaming as they charged the same number of Roman legionaries in a detachment under the command of P.A. Papus. Their screams were soon of terror, as Papus lived up to his illustrious forebears by savaging them horribly.

2MzO5q.jpg

The Fetial priests provided a map on 30 November that illustrated how far the Rebels (darker yellow with green flags) had advanced: it seemed the Loyalists were doomed. The Egyptian enclave in Asia Minor was still under Pontic occupation as the first of their armies approached Bithynia via Thrace.

Nf5nme.jpg

On 13 December, there was good news from southern Gaul: Volcae had become a full province, with its culture and religion becoming fully Roman.

§§§§§§§

January to April 576 AUC

And the new year began well, with settlers being sent to Pictones as the Taurini left the province in retreat. They would not be seen again: perhaps they ran into the Parisii and were eliminated. But the Romans cared not, as long as they did not trouble the Republic again.

January ended with another colonisation opportunity identified in Hispania. A small detachment – under a 'different' Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio (a Military faction member) to the recently demised Consul was sent to pacify Ilercavones.

0Gh8Dk.jpg

Then the recent run of ‘bad luck’ for ruling Consuls continued on 12 February 576 AUC with the death of M.V. Falto – who had also been commanding Legio IV in Graecia at the time. Again, no murderous plot was mentioned in contemporary sources, but it seemed being a righteous man was hazardous to one’s health as the presiding magistrate of Rome.

PIX5H3.jpg

The new man was one of the Military faction front-runners – with another familiar name. He was (among other things) a tolerant innovator, which might end up both helping and hindering research, depending on the outcome of omens (which would now be even riskier without a Religious consul in charge). Gurges also took over Legio IV from his predecessor.

And his first duty was to order the annual national omen – which once more failed miserably.

uNsOL7.jpg

Some augurs started muttering about whether some dog crucifixion might be in order. Bernardius blanched in horror when he heard this. Humphronius just shrugged his shoulders and wondered whether he should establish a kennel to supply the Pontifex Maximus with suitable specimens in the future.

In any case, a new Pontifex Maximus was promptly appointed – this time one of Gurges’ Military cronies, who began his path along the cursus honorum.

1igOQF.jpg

And a few days later, it seemed that the added responsibility had brought the best out of Gurges, who showed improved finesse (albeit still modest) in managing the Republic’s financial administration.

On 14 February, scouts in the East reported the Egyptians appeared to be fighting their first engagement of their renewed war with the Seleucids, in Pisidia. The rest of the Egyptian armies (highlighted in brown) were still strung out in Roman territory from Histrii to Thracia. The locations of the Roman garrisons (yellow) had been settled for many months now – with no barbarian invasions or rebellions to disturb them.

KJaCry.jpg

But this changed just a few weeks later, when 11,000 Pannoni warriors rose in Pannonia and were spotted heading for Maezaei. A.I. Dives’ powerful Legio VIII was soon on its way to intercept them.

RT8wlp.jpg

As Legio VIII marched to deal with the Pannoni, the detachment of Legio III sent to stir the local Hispanian barbarians arrived in Ilercavones on 20 March.

General ‘Bribula’ required another ‘management overhead’ on 23 April to stay loyal [+22% loyalty to 68%]. And this time, with a faction-mate as Consul, no mealy-mouthed ‘righteous’ objections would be raised.

As April drew to a close, the situation in the East was worse for the Loyalists, but despite this the Egyptians were making little headway against Pontus and the Loyalists as their manpower reserves continued to fall.

UQqOvo.jpg

§§§§§§§

May to December 576 AUC

The Pannoni had been in Maezaei for about four weeks before Dives fell upon them, catching his opponent Patraus Andid completely unawares. After a little over a week, the very badly mauled barbarians fled back to Pannonia.

CkDDVf.jpg

As that battle was finishing on 9 May, the latest Roman colony was founded in Pictones, with work on the obligatory stockade commenced straight away.

Things remained quiet until 27 July, when the Pannoni reappeared in Maezaei. This time, the combat was so brief and bloody that no details remain, except for the great slaughter of barbarian warriors and the seizure of loot and slaves that followed.

iaPBeo.jpg

The slow conversion of Africa to Roman ways took a small step forward on 25 August, when the culture of Tritonis (south of Egyptian-controlled Carthage) became Roman.

In early October, the relative positions of the four main eastern powers was reviewed again. The Seleucid Loyalists had actually managed to achieve a small manpower surplus: whether this was through recruitment or the consolidation of under-strength armies was unknown. Their regime remained highly unstable, while their truce with Rome would expire in a couple of months.

xXa7iL.jpg

Interestingly, the Seleucid Rebels were now guaranteeing the independence of Pontus. Whether that might cause a complication if Rome decided to attack their old enemy, when balanced against the Roman-Rebel alliance, was an open question. Egypt’s war with Pontus and the Loyalists continued to cost them men, for no obvious gain.

On 10 November, a supposed lack of trade in Lusitani prompted the ‘disgusted’ Governor there, Quintus Caedicus Romulus, to build one with local funds. More significantly, the same day saw another of those forlornly ambitious war declarations from the small states of the northern Euxine Sea coast. This time the Rhoxolani were trying their luck. They declared war on the Seleucid Loyalists – but that would no doubt bring their allies Pontus into the conflict.

8t5E2F.jpg

§§§§§§§

January to May 577 AUC

It seemed the Egyptians had had enough of their war with the Eastern Pact by 26 January 577 AUC. For just three gold talents (just 6% of Bribula's annual 'unofficial salary'), the Seleucids were off the hook – though likely too little and too late to help with their civil war.

nUEqRd.jpg

Rome briefly contemplated the prospects of preparing an attack of their own on the presumably weakened Pontus as they fought the Rhoxolani. But the threat to national stability of declaring war without a valid casus belli on either of them meant the idea went no further. And manpower had only recovered to about more than 43,400 by then, so the eastern legions remained in their peacetime garrison positions.

Soon after the Egyptian-Seleucid peace treaty (which also included Pontus), another survey was taken of the four main eastern powers in early February.

1yOFba.jpg

Another attempt at calling on Minerva to aid Roman research failed in mid-February. While the geese gobbled their disdain for the recalcitrant poultry and the Romans gobbled down roast chicken, Humphronius ensured his puppy-farm was well established, in expectation of future demand.

yDrJsM.jpg

When ‘Bribula’ was being given yet another loyalty payment on 24 April [+34% loyalty to 80%], Bernardius heard one of the clerks at the Aerarium mutter about sending the 50 talents to ‘Bribula Maximo’. He chuckled – as he wondered whether the right tense/conjugation had been used.

Momentous news filtered through on 30 May 577 AUC. There was no herald to formally announce it, but the Rebels had won the civil war – and their leader Nicias Seleucid was now officially Basileus of the Seleucid Empire.

0vaV9k.jpg

The new Seleucid government remained Roman allies, meaning the Eastern Pact was now dissolved, with Pontus standing alone. Strategically, this was of course great news for Rome. Further conquests of Seleucid territory in Asia Minor may be off the table for many years, in all likelihood. But dealing with Pontus remained a Senatorial priority, while the longer term issue of the Egyptian presence in southern Hispania, Western Africa and Carthage remained sore points.

In search of grounds to acquire legitimate belli casibus [correct plural?] against both Pontus and possibly even Egypt, Rome set about providing non-binding guarantees to other powers. The Senate was keen enough on two of these, but would veto any attempt to do so for the ‘vanishing kingdom’, Colchis.

7PgPY3.jpg

During the last few years, all the Roman ‘action’ – what little there was – had occurred in the West. Four easy battles against barbarians and the settlement of Pictones were the understated ‘highlights’. The border garrisons were well-settled, with the rabble-rousing detachment still trying to pacify Ilercavones in Hispania.

NE3DNy.jpg

The eastern provinces of the Republic had remained steadfastly peaceful, without even a rising of local malcontents to disturb Bernardius’ skittish disposition.

ZAi8DK.jpg

Africa too remained quiet, with no rebellions in recent years and the sole garrison in Ikosim being untroubled.

qULPLZ.jpg

The Military faction had gained a little ground in the Senate recently, along with the Mercantile and even the Civic groupings. The Religious party remained dominant – most of the growth in the other factions had come at the expense of the Populists.

Roman reserve manpower sat at just under 50,000 men: a good recovery, but a long way to go yet. There was 3,113 gold in the Aerarium, while stability was high [still +3]. All seemed well in the Republic as the next strategic challenges were considered.

§§§§§§§

Finis

• 2Love
Reactions:
I don't think I've commented on this one before, so first of all I'd just like to say that I've been following for a while and it's always fantastic.

As for belli casibus, that would be right if the rule in this case is to match belli, and I genuinely don't remember if it is or not (I was at best acceptable as a Latin student and I promptly forgot everything immediately after I stopped doing it on a regular basis). You might actually want the plural nominative of casus, not the plural dative/ablative, in which case (Wikipedia informs me), it'd be spelled the same unless you wrote the macrons out and it'd be pronounced ca-suus, as in... something like the "oose" of "goose". I could of course be completely wrong about all of this.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think I've commented on this one before, so first of all I'd just like to say that I've been following for a while and it's always fantastic.

As for belli casibus, that would be right if the rule in this case is to match belli, and I genuinely don't remember if it is or not (I was at best acceptable as a Latin student and I promptly forgot everything immediately after I stopped doing it on a regular basis). You might actually want the plural nominative of casus, not the plural dative/ablative, in which case (Wikipedia informs me), it'd be spelled the same unless you wrote the macrons out and it'd be pronounced ca-suus, as in... something like the "oose" of "goose". I could of course be completely wrong about all of this.
Thank you for following and commenting! :) The debate between Latin scholars on the finer points are always a highlight for me: my expertise consists entirely of doing the Google translate (when it’s not a direct quote) and then throwing it out there!:D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Question: does the Repub-pire need to garrison those areas if they've been so pacified? If the Legion in Africa is basically a cushy assignment that will keep them out of the bloodshed on the Eastern Front? Or can we start to send the heavier units to the front lines to help crush the Repub-pire's enemies?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Question: does the Repub-pire need to garrison those areas if they've been so pacified? If the Legion in Africa is basically a cushy assignment that will keep them out of the bloodshed on the Eastern Front? Or can we start to send the heavier units to the front lines to help crush the Repub-pire's enemies?

A good question, and one I’ve been asking myself about the Africa garrison. There used to be some large and regular revolts there, but has been quiet for a long time. The only thing keeping them there recently has been in case anything happened with Egypt, with whom the alliance is now broken.

The rest of them are spaced on frontiers that are exposed to barbarian invasions, are more recently incorporated as so prone to revolts (even if they‘ve been quiet recently) or the border with Pontus. If a new major war target is decided, there would be a mobilisation to that/those areas, with the risk taken of thinning the frontier garrisons.

Reactions:
While the chicken was roasted, the Capitoline Geese (one of which is depicted above) gobbled away, perhaps warning Rome against ill signs. [This one’s for you, @Wraith11B ;)]
I've been saving breadcrumbs for this day, will coat some and fry tomorrow!

But dealing with Pontus remained a Senatorial priority, while the longer term issue of the Egyptian presence in southern Hispania, Western Africa and Carthage remained sore points.
If the senate thought strategically, they'd prioritize Egypt now, but I hope we can attack Pontus without losing the alliance with the Seleucids.

belli casibus [correct plural?]
casii belli?? (no idea what I'm doing :D )

The eastern provinces of the Republic had remained steadfastly peaceful, without even a rising of local malcontents to disturb Bernardius’ skittish disposition.
Unsurprisingly, Rhoxolani are getting their arses handed to them

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for following and commenting! :) The debate between Latin scholars on the finer points are always a highlight for me: my expertise consists entirely of doing the Google translate (when it’s not a direct quote) and then throwing it out there!

Casus is a bit of a weird word, Latin has different declensions for nouns, depending on their main vowel. Casus belongs to the u-declension, a very rare one, and it's nominative plural is... casus, but with a long U. (Later Latin would have written it casuus, sometime. The rules are inconsistent.) Genitive plural of bellum is bellorum, so it's casu(u)s bellorum - causes of the wars. Linguistics!

As for the dogs, I didn't know that! You learn something new every day.

Reactions:
Another update ready to publish, which I'll do now before I head out of town until next Sunday (18 April), so no updates for any of my AARs at least until then.
I've been saving breadcrumbs for this day, will coat some and fry tomorrow!
Love it!
If the senate thought strategically, they'd prioritize Egypt now, but I hope we can attack Pontus without losing the alliance with the Seleucids.
Well, there are longer term plans for Egypt, but for now it's rebuilding and getting an angle on Pontus, while not alienating the Seleucids (to make taking on Egypt easier later on).
Unsurprisingly, Rhoxolani are getting their arses handed to them
As always! :rolleyes:
Casus is a bit of a weird word, Latin has different declensions for nouns, depending on their main vowel. Casus belongs to the u-declension, a very rare one, and it's nominative plural is... casus, but with a long U. (Later Latin would have written it casuus, sometime. The rules are inconsistent.) Genitive plural of bellum is bellorum, so it's casu(u)s bellorum - causes of the wars. Linguistics!

As for the dogs, I didn't know that! You learn something new every day.
I think the correct answer for me is to ... avoid using the plural in Latin! :D But it's an interesting thing to talk about. I think, anyway.;)

Chapter XCV: Minor Distractions (30 May 577/176 BC to 3 November 581/172 BC)
Chapter XCV: Minor Distractions
(30 May 577/176 BC to 3 November 581/172 BC)

932sMS.jpg

Foreword

As the relative peace and rebuilding continues for Rome after the tremendous bloodshed of the Great Eastern War, the Republic sought to expand its settling of the barbarian West, while searching for a valid casus belli against Pontus. Barbarian invasions and revolts have been the main 'entertainment' for Rome’s legates for a few years now, as they seek to grow the manpower reserve back to a point a major war can be safely contemplated.

§§§§§§§

June to December 577 AUC

Rome’s plans for keeping out of Eastern conflicts were soon diverted by a call to arms from their new – and important – ally: the ‘New’ Seleucid Empire. Mid-June brought a request they did not want to ignore, lest that alliance be broken.

Kv8EaF.jpg

There was no desire to bring the Rhoxolani down and Rome would not actually send any troops, the main loss being some popularity for Consul Sextus Fabius Gurges.

“So we will provide all assistance short of actual help, Consul?” asked Humphronius knowingly.

“Ah, that’s it,” said the Consul, a little sheepishly. “Get it done – or not done, as it were.”

“Yes, Consul.”

Although Rome was now in charge of the war for the Alliance, there was too much opposition in the Senate for seeking a peace, which the Rhoxolani sought just two days later with the offer of a payment. A pity, as Gurges would have taken it if he could. The non-war would continue.

a5Hyi7.jpg

Only four days later, two troublemaking Governors were rumoured to be considering independence: Publius Carvilius Maximus of Magna Graecia and Lucius Cornelius Scipio of Raetia. Both were very expendable and not worth bribing, so were dismissed and replaced with more loyal men.

On 22 July, the old but lately disaffected campaigner G.F. Licinus died of old age. The old warhorse was now walking the Elysian Fields.

AeqfUf.jpg

Vale Licinus!

Bernardius, always afraid of revolts (as well as barbarians in general) provided the Consul with the latest assessment of revolt risks around the Republic. Predictably, the risk was highest in recently acquired or settled lands, the bulk of them in the East.

vvu3ZK.jpg

In September, Pontus made a separate peace with the Rhoxolani, gaining the province of Tanais and a small indemnity. Rome and the Seleucids remained in the war.

Txo2qR.jpg

The fears of Bernardius were born out when he brought a note to Consul Gurges, as he attended on him in the military garrison of Legio IV (13,000 troops) in Achaea, which the Consul was personally commanding. It was a revolt by 6,000 malcontents in Euboea. The legion was soon marching east to deal with it.

November 577 saw a massive increase in the Roman navy begun – mainly designed to maintain naval superiority against the large Egyptian fleet in some future war: 16 new triremes were started in ports around the Republic. They would take up to six months to construct.

As the year drew to an end, the Senate actually made a couple of decent command suggestions for new men who were not otherwise qualified by age or rank; this tended to happen more when a war was in progress and units without commanders.

mgLhw3.jpg

Rome’s long term tributaries, the Dacians – maintained as a buffer state on the Danube – found themselves in need of help in mid-December. Which Rome was happy enough to provide from its vast surplus in the Aerarium.

DJUznw.jpg

Suci was then subjected to a revolt, with 4,000 local militia rising on 23 December. Legio I (Bribula) was sent west from nearby Crobobizi to get a little exercise after a long period of inaction.

§§§§§§§

578 AUC

The peace of the last seven months was broken when the rebels in Euboea were easily despatched by Legio IV on 2 January 578 AUC – an auspicious start to the new year. On 30 January, the rebels in Suci were slaughtered by T.A. (Bribula) Barbula’s Legio I. This useful start to the year continued, with a good harvest adding another 2,000 men to the manpower reserve on 11 February, bringing it to almost 64,000 men.

A few days later, Gurges’ term as Consul was over. His replacement would see the top magistracy return to the Religious party, under Gnaeus Servilius Caepio. A sceptical ruler who would slow down Rome’s research rate, though omens would be more likely to succeed again.

F1P4nd.jpg

And just ten days later, A.C. Caudex was the latest to succumb to the ‘Curse of Ikosim’, though in his case foul play was not suspected. The post was left vacant, in the hope the Senate might elevate another promising candidate.

AU8s2k.jpg

The following months were quiet, as neither barbarian invasions nor revolts trouble the Republic’s frontiers. By mid-July, two more ships were under construction in north-west Gaul, in case a small flotilla might be required for transport at some point (there would be four ships available there when they were completed). Manpower also continued to rebuild, while 15 more triremes were ordered in ports around Our Sea.

UPZvHR.jpg

Epirus, Aetolia and Thessaly were added as core provinces of the Roman patrimony on 9 September 578. The year continued quietly, with the last notable event being another excellent military nomination by the Senate, this time for the charismatic teenage prodigy Mettius Cornelius Rufinus to take charge of Legio VII in Ikosim.

2LaURi.jpg

§§§§§§§

579 AUC

By mid-February 579, the loyalty of the largely idle T.A. ‘Bribula’ had become very suspect [26%]. It took two bribes of 50 gold each to restore his enthusiasm [+18 and +25 loyalty]. Coincidentally, within his area of responsibility, Suci and Crobobizi joined the Roman patrimony on 2 April.

As the last batch of new ships was completed, sent to build the fleet stationed in Sardinia, another 14 were laid down on 23 April. This was followed on 11 May by the successful ‘graduation’ of Breuci (in Illyria) from a colony to a fully Roman province. At the end of that month, a detachment of Legio III, then stationed in Vindelicia, was sent east to Marcomanni, which was now potentially available for colonisation: after the local barbarians had been provoked and dispersed.

The months drifted by once more, with the next diplomatic development coming in August, when another Rhoxolani envoy bearing a peace offer was received. With the Senate now on-side, it was a chance to save the Rhoxolani from losing any more territory (this time to Rome's Seleucid allies), while trousering another 22 gold in reparations. All with not a single legionary’s life lost!

FA0G5i.jpg

The long period of peace in northern Gaul was threatened in early September when the Parisii were invaded by a large tribe of Langobardi. They had lost Eburones to an assault and were marching east to respond, though would be heavily outnumbered. S.C. Maximus took his as-yet unnamed legion east as well, ready to fight off these barbarians should the Parisii fail to do so.

dpf3NW.jpg

‘Bribula’ put out his hand for another ‘management commission’ on 2 November. Once more, 100 gold was handed over [45% loyalty +22 and +16 = 83%] to keep him quiet for longer. His massacre of rebels earlier in the year had not been deemed enough to warrant a triumph.

As he marched east, Maximus (then in Bituriges) was informed that a revolt had broken out in Lingones on 1 December. He would have to divert there with the now officially renamed Legio IX before potentially moving against the Langobardi invasion, which was by then in Nervii, two provinces to the north of Lingones.

Next came a barbarian revolt on 10 December by 2,000 Laietani warriors in Arevaci (central Hispania). Legio X was already in place and crushed them within a week. Nearby, Vettones became the next colony to become a fully Romanised province on 28 December – a fine way to end the year. But the barbarian threat seemed to be stirring along Rome’s northern frontiers, after a long period of dormancy.

§§§§§§§

January to June 580 AUC

Turones became the next fully Roman province on 14 January 580, as Gaul became increasingly civilised. The good news continued a few days later with a new discovery in naval technology – which had been lagging a fair way behind the others to that point.

CBqu7W.jpg

On 28 January, S.C. Maximus slaughtered the rebels in Lingones and then two days later marched north towards Nervii, where the Parisii had attacked but been defeated by the invading Langobardi.

lw4dNl.jpg

That same day, settlers were sent to both Lusones (central Hispania) and to Pannonia. Both colonies were due to be founded on 30 May.

Gurges saw his quite successful term out on 12 February, to be replaced by Caelus Claudius Caudex, from the Mercantile faction. Another sceptic! He was not an impressive military man, but had good administrative skill and charisma: not too bad for a peacetime Consul. So Bernardius opined and Humphronius grudguingly agreed.

O775Z3.jpg

His first decision came a week later: 7,000 Alani warriors had arrived in Dacia’s undefended province of Apuli. T.A. Regulus was just to the south in Autariatae with Legio VI (20,000 men) and by 19 February was on the way to administer a good thrashing to the barbarian invaders. The battle had been fought and won by 20 March: another slaughter, with the whole tribe wiped out and its camp followers enslaved, though the Romans lost 389 men doing it.

From 2-12 April, S.C. Maximus fought almost 15,000 Langobardi warriors at Nervii, the largest battle of the current period. His arrival had been well timed, as he was joined during the battle by around 7,000 returning Parisii, bringing his numbers up to about 26,000. The battle ended in a heavy defeat for the Langobardi, but they still had over 10,000 warriors left. And the Romans were suffering a monthly decimation (ie 10% attrition), so quickly headed back south to Roman territory. The Parisii would have to look after themselves from here.

The new colonies in Lusones and Pannonia (the latter a long-held Roman objective) were founded on 2 June. The manpower reserve stood at 127,000, with a gain of 2,288 per month. In the Senate, the Religious faction was still ascendant, the Mercantile party actually edging above the Populists in numbers.

oMh1vr.jpg

§§§§§§§

July to December 580 AUC

After years of Roman insults, parades and buttock-baring, the barbarians of Ilercavones on the eastern coast of Hispania finally rose to attack the Roman detachment. But there were only 2,000 of them, and the 6,000 troops of G.C. Scipio’s Detachment II of Legio III killed them all in five days, losing only eight men doing so. The Roman settlers were soon on their way.

While that short ‘battle’ was going, the 20 units of the Langobardi returned to attack the eight of the Parisii in Nervii on 3 July. But by 20 July the Parisii had won and were chasing the Nervii to barbarian-occupied Eburones. The earlier Roman assistance had proven sufficient and Roman respect for the Parisii grew.

Then on 3 August, 5,000 local Chatti warriors obligingly rose in Marcomanni to expel the same number of Roman troops in a detachment of Legio III that L.A. Barbula (the other one) had taken there for that very purpose many months before. The result was – of course – a trouncing for the Chatti after a ten-day fight. But just nine days after that victory, another tribe – seven regiments of Auiones – was spotted approaching from Lugii, north-east of Marcomanni, due to arrive on 13 October. Barbula (the non-bribe taking one) braced for a defensive battle.

Back in northern Gaul, the Parisii fought the Langobardi once more at Eburones on 29 August. They would win the battle by mid-September, the Langobardi fleeing north while the Parisii stayed to retake their occupied province, rather than chase the barbarian attackers.

By 12 September, the Chatti had retreated to Hermunduri and turned back, but this time to Vindelicia. The rest of Legio III waited there, without a commander as L.A. Barbula remained in Marcomanni, awaiting the attack of the Auiones. So Consul Caudex himself, although only a mediocre commander [Martial 3], took over the troops waiting in Vindelicia. This also meant there was a window to send the settlers into Marcomanni, with no barbarians currently within its borders.

On 23 October, Rome recorded two victories in adjacent provinces. Caudex slaughtered the rest of the Chatti in Vindelicia, while L.A. Barbula had an easy victory against the numerically superior Auiones in Marcomanni. All Rome's generals were proving very efficient during this period, admittedly against predominantly smaller barbarian bands than many they had encountered in the past.

The new colony in Ilercavones (Hispania) was founded on 4 November 580 with (as always) a stockade soon being built. Later that month, Bribula took his cut of 50 gold [45% +21 = 66% loyalty]. As he had the largest following of personally loyal troops, he was the only Roman general who required such generosity to keep him sweet.

In early December, three new cohorts of archers were raised in the Illyrian region, to balance Dives’ principes-heavy Legio VIII. These troops would later receive an unexpected baptism of fire!

§§§§§§§

January to June 581 AUC

The Auiones had also retreated north after their loss in Marcomanni and made for Vindelicia, where Consul Caudex awaited them. They attacked him on 4 January and he soundly defeated them five days later. During the battle, this military novice had learned enough to add a valuable tactical skill to his repertoire: he was living the dream as a Roman military hero when he had never expected to do so.

d9qrad.jpg

The rally event is a particularly useful one, regenerating morale during a long battle.

Six days later, the latest Roman colony was founded in Marcomanni. The Romans intended to put this interbellum period to the best use they could.

A small barbarian revolt in Sedetani (central Hispania) by a 3,000 man band of the Orgonomesci broke out on 9 February to provide a slight interruption, but Legio X was soon headed their way with a fistful of Roman justice to administer.

But the trend of barbarian activity was picking up: by 22 February another, a reinforced group of the Auiones was on its way to Vindelicia, with 11 units this time. Caudex was becoming quite the veteran as he waited for them to arrive – and for L.A. Barbula to rejoin Legio III with his detachment from Marcomanni.

Over the last four years, the omens had been consulted when called for. When the auspices seemed good, Minerva was invoked. When the chances looked worse, the Consul would risk his own popularity rather than further impede Roman research by invoking Jupiter instead. This policy paid off (part luck, part good management) between 578 and 581.

2I68ti.jpg

The Orgonomesci were duly defeated in Sedetani on 29 March 581, but would be back for another try in due course. And the day that battle ended, a barbarian revolt by 5,000 Cenomani warriors erupted in Histrii. Then from 31 March to 2 April, C.C. Caudex started the battle against the Auiones in Vindelicia, which L.A. Barbula finished after reinforcing, with all 6,306 barbarians wiped out for 388 Roman casualties.

The area was now a hive of activity, however: 4,000 Roman reinforcements making they way along the border between legions was very unluckily ambushed by a band of 6,000 Triboci who had revolted in Scordisci on 2 April! The Romans, without a commander, retreated as soon as they could, but had lost 1,789 legionaries before they could escape on 7 April. It would be the only Roman defeat during the entire interbellum period.

T.A. Regulus and the 20,000 men of Legio VI in Autariatae were immediately sent west to teach the Triboci a harsh lesson. At the time, many Roman legions were in motion, as a reorganisation of border assignments was under way – in part to try to give Bribula some proper battle time so a triumph might be arranged (far cheaper and more effective than bribes). Dives was on his way with Legio VIII to crush the rebellion in Histrii.

G2CfJX.jpg

Legio VIII duly beat the Cenomani in Histrii between 29 April-4 May, but the barbarians put up s stiff fight, killing over 300 Romans and avoiding complete destruction. In Sedetani, the Orgonomesci were not so fortunate, wiped out by Legio X on 21 May when they returned to another forlorn attack. And then Regulus fell upon the Triboci on 25 May, but attacking across a river and running into a tough barbarian defence. He won by 31 May, but lost over 900 of his own men in killing about 2,300 of the enemy.

§§§§§§§

July to October 581 AUC

Legio VIII had pursued the Cenomani to Pannonia and this time destroyed them in a single day, killing over 3,400 barbarians for only 31 more men lost.

Next followed an alert that the Triboci had retreated to Autariatae on 9 August and were besieging it. But Regulus was in pursuit, the final reckoning coming on 21 August with the destruction and enslavement of the Triboci and final Roman revenge on the upstarts. This signalled a quieter period in that region for the next few months, after a frantic time of chasing barbarian rebels and invaders.

Diplomatic events now began to assert greater importance once more. At the end of August 581, it seems Pontus had decided to grab the remaining province of the Bosporan Kingdom. Bingo! This finally gave Rome the casus belli they had been searching for. The Senate would have granted a declaration of war immediately, but there was still uncertainty about what the Seleucid Empire might do (being allied with both Rome and Pontus). And the Roman forces in the East were somewhat out of position at that time.

SxM65X.jpg

So no declaration was made. But Rome started making moves to prepare for one. First, Classis IV was sent around to be ready to embark Legio IV from Achaea, for use on either Crete or Rhodes, both Pontic possessions.

RA98Ry.jpg

In mid-September, Bernardius reminded Consul Caudex that the Senate’s grandly titled mission to ‘end the Pontic Kingdom’ remained extant, with the deadline of 28 April 586 still some way off, but getting closer. To fail this one would destabilise the Republic.

1cbtLS.jpg

As Rome re-positioned its forces for an option of war against Pontus, the alliance with the Seleucids once more drew them reluctantly into a war – with the Bosporans. Again, the Consul took a popularity hit to support their allies: if it came to war with Pontus, anything possible would be done to either keep the Seleucids out of it, or even bring them in on Rome’s side.

308UBg.jpg

The Luggones rose in the recently settled Lusones (central Hispania) on 1 October: but Legio X was still there in garrison. After a desultory fight that lasted until mid-month, Bubulcus had wiped out all 2,000, for only 91 Romans killed.

This marked the last battle of the period. A map of the major battles, colonisations and provincial declarations between June 577 and October 581 is provided below

REuOwW.jpg

Plus a table of all the battle details, including total casualties – which were generally very heavily in Rome’s favour.

UCrltH.jpg

§§§§§§§

3 November 581 AUC

Legio VI arrived in Suci on 3 November 581 – bringing it next to the Pontic province of Pephigi, at the mouth of the Danube. The Pontic 1st Stratos was heading east to the province of Pontus – and the casus belli still held, despite the fact both realms were now at war with the Bosporans. Three more legions were heading back east: one (Legio VIII) would probably be retained to patrol the troublesome Danube frontier from Marcomanni through to Autariatae. The other two (I and IX) would most likely keep moving east to be used in a possible war on Pontus – and be ready if the Seleucids unexpectedly supported Pontus if Rome attacked the latter. Legio IV remained ready for naval landings in the Eastern Mediterranean.

tewDKI.jpg

In Roma itself, the cursus honorum was again employed to advance new military commanders, with Albinus promoted from Pontifex to Censor, the other new Censor being picked for his administrative ability. Another brilliant young military officer with a famous name but no personality, M.C. Maximus, was the new Pontifex.

Dcq4HK.jpg

The promising young M.C. Rufinus, recently promoted by the Senate to command Legio VII in Ikosim, was moved out of that posting for redeployment to the East, leaving Legio VII's command vacant once more. He took over Legio VI in Suci, replacing T.A. Regulus. The lacklustre C.F. Gurges was replaced as commander of Legio V in Phrygia, on the border with Pontus, by M.O. Crassus.

eW0kuC.jpg

The competent and already ‘blooded’ Regulus was compensated with the command of the ten cohorts in Remi (the balance of Legio III), with Consul C.C. Caudex relinquishing his position.

In Roma, with the next Consular election due the following February, none other than T.A. Barbula (the current Military faction leader) was the hot favourite for the post. It would be good for any potential major war effort if he won. Recently ‘retired’ Legate of Legio V, C.F. Gurges (also from the Military faction), was running second, while the Praetor M.A. Lepidus from the Religious party was a close third.

EyTBOB.jpg

The Mercantile faction was now the second most numerous party after the dominant Religious group, with the Civic and Military factions a distant fourth and fifth.

And thus stood the Republic, as it remained poised for a possible war of aggression against the old enemy Pontus. With consequences that could only be guessed at if the Seleucids reacted differently than Rome hoped.

§§§§§§§

Finis

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The year continued quietly, with the last notable event being another excellent military nomination by the Senate, this time for the charismatic teenage prodigy Mettius Cornelius Rufinus to take charge of Legio VII in Ikosim.
Have to say, they're on a roll!

The rally event is a particularly useful one, regenerating morale during a long battle.
Impressive :)

This marked the last battle of the period. A map of the major battles, colonisations and provincial declarations between June 577 and October 581 is provided below
Rome has been a busy bee during this peace period, a lot of progress!

Curious to see what will the Seleucids do on the next installment, even if the best case happens and they decide to help, then there'll be the job of rushing for sieges so that the good Black Sea provinces fall to us and not them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Although Rome was now in charge of the war for the Alliance, there was too much opposition in the Senate for seeking a peace, which the Rhoxolani sought just two days later with the offer of a payment. A pity, as Gurges would have taken it if he could. The non-war would continue.
A proper Roman Senate decision. "We didn't want this war, but now you've dragged us in we demand control of the war effort and a proper victory."

In Roma, with the next Consular election due the following February, none other than T.A. Barbula (the current Military faction leader) was the hot favourite for the post.
Will this end in the slightly confusing scenario of Barbula having to start bribing himself to stay loyal to his own leadership?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Have to say, they're on a roll!

Impressive :)

Rome has been a busy bee during this peace period, a lot of progress!

Curious to see what will the Seleucids do on the next installment, even if the best case happens and they decide to help, then there'll be the job of rushing for sieges so that the good Black Sea provinces fall to us and not them.
Making the best of ‘peacetime’ recovery. I haven’t shown the lame suggestions the Senate made and I rejected over the same period (disloyal and incompetent characters to replace seasoned leading commanders), but this time there were as many good as bad suggestions, which is unusually helpful.

I’m hoping the Seleucids stay out initially and that I can call them to arms before Pontus does. We’ll see in due course.
A proper Roman Senate decision. "We didn't want this war, but now you've dragged us in we demand control of the war effort and a proper victory."

Will this end in the slightly confusing scenario of Barbula having to start bribing himself to stay loyal to his own leadership?
Very appropriate Senatorial deliberation: “If we do declare war, lip service must at least be paid, if not actual troops sent.”

I think being elected consul sets loyalty to 100%, so hopefully I don’t have to keep paying Bribula his ‘stipend’! Though this being a Paradox game, and an old one to boot ...

Reactions:
Another Great Eastern War approaches, then?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another Great Eastern War approaches, then?
I think so - though it should be far more limited than the last one, as Pontus isn’t what it used to be. Unless the Seleucids back them instead of Rome, in which case ... :eek:

Reactions:
I’m a longtime forum lurker and primarily an EU4 player. I decided I needed to post to commend you on some well written AARs. I’m all up to date on this one and about 1/3 of the way through Talking Turkey. I also started looking at Blood and Battle. Keep up the good work.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I’m a longtime forum lurker and primarily an EU4 player. I decided I needed to post to commend you on some well written AARs. I’m all up to date on this one and about 1/3 of the way through Talking Turkey. I also started looking at Blood and Battle. Keep up the good work.
Thanks so much @madchemist76 that means a lot to me. Both the long haul catching up and making the effort to comment. These things make one want to keep going with renewed vigour. :) In any of the ones you’re catching up on, feel free (if you feel like it) to comment or ask questions on anything as you go and I’ll provide spoiler-free responses. Once more, welcome aboard and thank you.

• 2Like
Reactions: