• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Goodness! Mars' appetite certainly seems endless... What's the butcher's bill totals up to at this point?
Alas, by this time I wasn’t tracking it battle by battle any more - and attrition is always harder to keep track of, then there are new unit builds along the way. Suffice it to say Mars is both hungry and thirsty! :eek:
This does not sound well at all :D

The chicken are finally on a run!

Ha! That's my hometown! There's a Roman bridge built in 2nd century AD which was still used by motorized vehicles as recent as 2007. At that time, it was the oldest Roman bridge that was still being actively used. Now it's pedestrian only.
1920px-Ta%C5%9Fk%C3%B6pr%C3%BC%27n%C3%BCn_Panoramik_Foto%C4%9Fraf%C4%B1.jpg

This is also the place where Saint Theophilus the Penitent lived, his is the oldest story of a pact with the devil and was an inspiration for the Faust legend. Not many people know this, but this can be a good tourism catch. Not as good as the kebabs, but still.
5a4cb9dec9de3d11988cae3f.jpg

Where my uncle studied medicine, home to the best dried meat
Traditional-Turkish-Pastirma-Nation-of-Turks.jpg

Home to an extraordinary megalithic site, the tomb of the king of Commagene who founded the kingdom after the Seleucids fall apart when the Romans beat them.
1280px-East_Terrace_%284961356591%29.jpg

I'm not putting any visuals from here, because not being able to east the best food of the world right now would kill me

Excellent news! With the added morale and extra military idea.

A lot of lives lost, and I was hoping for a few extra provinces maybe from the rebels, but going very strong against the Seleucids. Victory will be Roman!
Loved the local visuals and stories. That bridge looks amazing! Now - imagine the sight when it was built! Those guys were great engineers. :cool:

The Romans are very determined to deal the Seleucids a heavy blow this time, for the sake not just of a good settlement, but for the future too. How successful that will be - and the cost in lives - of course remains in the hands of the Fates.
So much blood! But hey, it's for the greater glory of Rome. Or something.
Yes, they should feel privileged to shed their blood for such a noble and glorious cause. Or something. ;) They will find their reward in the Elysian Fields.
An intimidatingly large update as always. The Selucids and their cunning tactics (not least around confusing names) are a worthy foe. Though of course the problem with worthy foes is that they are quite hard to beat, maybe Rome should focus on un-worthy foes that could be beaten without so much bloodshed?

Will our new military focused Consul prosecute the war with renewed vigour, or will it take a proven man of war to bring peace?
Yeah, sorry about that, I just wanted to get that whole two year period up. I really need to make these more concise. But Rome wasn’t built (or written up) in a day! :D:rolleyes:

I needed to confront the Seleucids at some point and break up that Eastern Pact. It has been hard, but Rome is prepared to pay the price. And it is fitting they are such a worthy opponent. No pain, no gain!

By now, even the most non-military minded Consul will be swept along in the tide of war. Though they may muddy the waters a little along the way.

To All: Many thanks for the comments, I appreciate them so much. I will start working up the next episode over the next few days.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That bridge looks amazing! Now - imagine the sight when it was built! Those guys were great engineers. :cool:
As an engineer myself I admire those guys! Also see the one below, around 20 km east of the one. This is where (according to myths) Luqman (a character similar to Askleipos) was struck by the gods for his arrogance when he discovered the elixir of life, and the elixir was mixed in the river.

Image result for köprüsü misis

• 1Love
Reactions:
As an engineer myself I admire those guys! Also see the one below, around 20 km east of the one. This is where (according to myths) Luqman (a character similar to Askleipos) was struck by the gods for his arrogance when he discovered the elixir of life, and the elixir was mixed in the river.

Image result for köprüsü misis
Amazing - I assume they must have repaired or renovated it along the way, but the foundations at least look original. All that time subject to river flows and still there.

To All: I’ve taken the decision to shorten the next chapter to cover just the one busy year, to make it easier to write, read and hopefully comment on too. I’ll have to make up game time after this latest big war is done, to progress the game. Shouldn’t take too long to put it up.

Reactions:
Chapter XCI: Mars Ascendant (12 January to 31 December 569 AUC/184 BC)
Chapter XCI: Mars Ascendant
(12 January to 31 December 569 AUC/184 BC)

GbwZvU.jpg

Foreword. The great Roman commander Titus Aemilius Barbula [Martial 9] had been elected Consul on 2 December 568 AUC and remained in the field, even as his Legio I was losing a battle against the Seleucid 13th Stratos of Mitrodoros Vardanid [also Martial 9] at Commagene.

By early January 569, the Seleucid War raged on in the East unabated, with the last major action being a hard-fought victory in Commagene on 12 January AUC by Ptolemy Ptolemy’s [Martial 6] Legio VI over the highly talented but now badly outnumbered Vardanid.

Meanwhile, the West had been quiet since the previous March, with a few new colonisation prospects being explored through provocations of local barbarian tribes in Hispania.

§§§§§§§

Part I: The Eastern War - 12 January to 30 June 569

After the latest fighting, Roman manpower reserves stood at around 98,500 men, with 53,200 reinforcements needed and around 4,900 expected to reach the units this month. The monthly gain stood at 2,263 throughout the year.

On 19 January, Legio VI rested in Commagene. The only partly-recovered Legio I was back in Commagene with 26,000 men in 35 cohorts, pursuing the fleeing Vardanid’s 13th Stratos to Sophene. The latter had finished the last battle with about 10,000 men left in 40 regiments.

Old Gaius Fabius Licinus (Legate of Legio IV) was getting a bit restless by the end of January [loyalty down to 37%]. Bernardius suggested to Consul Barbula that his factional colleague’s ego might be stroked a little with the promise of a triumph. And at age 69, it was likely that would be enough to keep the old warhorse safely in harness for the rest of his life. It was duly granted.

In Sophene, Barbula attacked the Seleucids on 10 February. But it seemed there had been a reorganisation, with the 13th being merged into the 11th Stratos, now commanded by the renowned Seleucid Admiral Shapur Arkhid – who was just as accomplished a general as Vardanid and had added around 5,000 men to the enemy’s army.

The opposing generals were evenly matched, but Roman morale started better, they had a 10,000 man advantage and were more heavily armed. This time, Barbula was confident of victory, even if Arkhid obtained a little bit of a tactical edge as the battle started. Things tilted against the Romans on 20 February, when they were caught flat-footed as the Seleucids counter-attacked, despite the disparity in numbers.

FDDLIB.jpg

Things remained difficult for the Romans from 25 February, but finally changed for the better on 2 March. In the end it became too much for the Seleucids, despite their having inflicted heavier casualties once again on the invading Romans.

zDosov.jpg

While the Battle of Sophene was in progress, news came of a rare good suggestion for field command from the Senate. Barbula warmly welcomed the appointment of the very young (if cold and arrogant) S.C. Primus to command one of the reserve legions, without having to go through the normal process of the cursus honorum. Given the talent the Seleucids could draw upon, young Primus would be very useful.

pzknX9.jpg

With Sophene won, the weary Legio I was alerted to the approach of the enemy’s 1st Stratos. They were due to attack in just nine days. Another of the new elite Roman legates replaced Ptolemy as commander of Legio VI and marched east with around 12,000 men to assist Barbula. As it happened, this was enough to halt Apollonid in his tracks, to the relief of the Consul and his still tired and depleted legion. Barbula settled into a siege.

ykW4Ex.jpg

On 2 May, Aulus Iacus Dives finally arrived in Euboea after a long march from Thrace with 20,000 men to take on 6,000 local rebels. His temporary ‘4th Legion’ was forced to make a strait crossing [-2 die roll penalty] and he made rather heavy weather of the tactics [adjusted die rolls of 1.5 v 5 and -1.5 v 3]. He had won by 18 May, but lost 1,860 men to the lightly armed rebels’ 1,886, before the rest dispersed. He then began marching all the way back to Bithynia, where his troops would be fed into the maw of the ravenous beast that was the Seleucid war.

On 5 June, Barbula and Bernardius (who was still attending the Consul in the field) were perplexed when the 545 day siege of Armenia was finally won by Rome – and the Seleucid Rebels took over! After all the prior fighting for it and the time and attrition taken to win the siege, this was a bitter and inexplicable outcome [1]. A disappointed Licinus started Legio IV marching back west Cappadocia.

Note 1. There was no obvious immediate prior indication that Armenia was other than a Loyalist-held province before this. Maybe the Loyalists had previously conquered it from the Rebels, and because I’m at peace with them, it was treated as a liberation. And reverted to them. A mystery otherwise.

In early June, the siege of Galatia was well progressed, while that of Sophene was still in its early days. Regulus was ordered to take Legio VI south to Syria, where it would be a close-run thing to see if they could catch Apollonid and the 1st Stratos before they escaped to Coele-Syria. A battle could take place on 2 July, if Regulus was fast enough.

2yvuP4.jpg

By 22 June, Roman manpower was at around 86,000, with 52,900 reinforcements required and 6,655 due to reach the legions at the beginning of July.

§§§§§§§

Part II: Roma and the West - 12 January to 30 June 569

The relative peace in the West was broken on 16 January 569, when a tribe of 12,000 Ubii invaded Remi in northern Gaul. The Populist ‘new man’ Cunobelinus Correid – a previously forced Senate appointment – led Legio III ‘Nova’ (15,000 men) from Aedui to confront them. They would march through Carnutes before attacking the uncouth barbarians to eject them from the Roman colony.

In Roma, another bright young potential commander had come of age: on 24 January the 26-year-old but already very corrupt [40%!] Lucius Aemilius Barbula [Martial 9] was made Pontifex Maximus, to start his progress along the cursus honorum.

Just a few days later, the Fetial Priests brought news that the Parisii had declared war on the Atrebates, who had recently defaulted on their tribute to Rome and were thus vulnerable to predation by their much larger neighbours, who were still Roman tributaries.

bV01Al.jpg

That is what you get, thought Humphronius to himself as he read and discarded the despatch. So long as that fool Correid hurries up and gets rid of those disgusting barbarians infesting Remi. A pity about the temporary disruption to wine shipments, though.

It took Correid until 29 March to make contact with the Ubii – and the incompetent upstart, badly out-generalled by his barbarian opponent, never got the upper hand. Despite having more and better troops, the Populist hack was trounced, losing more than twice as many men than his opposite number.

TcWE4g.jpg

And as that battle was moving to its embarrassing and disgraceful conclusion, a new threat arose in Hispania, where Legio X was ordered to respond to a barbarian appearance in Ilercavones.

ny6wqf.jpg

As Legio III began its humiliating retreat back to Carnutes on 16 April, Legio XII saw its own mediocre legate replaced by the experienced (if not outstanding) Ptolemy Ptolemy, who had been replaced as commander of Legio VI in the east. They were soon on the march from their post in Raetia to save the colony in Remi from barbarian destruction.

uBIY0V.jpg

These plans were unfortunately upset later in April when news came from Hispania that the Orniacos had trekked north from Ilercavones to Cassetani, where they had grown to 25,000 in strength and now appeared to be headed for southern Gaul.

VG8S8A.jpg

Legio XII was diverted from their Remi rescue mission on 2 May and instead sent west to Arverni to be ready to repel this latest threat, as it would be a long march and the sacking of the more civilised southern provinces could not be risked. Legio III would have to recover and deal with its own mess in Remi instead.

As part of the plan to stop the large Orniacos war band – now in Volcae and due to hit Ruteni on 3 July – seven new cohorts began recruiting across Gaul on 28 May. Five of these were auxiliaries (to minimise the impact on manpower reserves) – thee of lighter velite infantry, one each of cavalry and archers. One regular cohort of principes and another of horse archers were also raised.

On 6 June, Legio III reached Carnutes. There, the disgraced Correid was sent on ‘gardening leave’ and replaced by the pedestrian but at least competent M.C. Dentatus. He headed them straight back to Remi – where it would be a race against time to relieve the beleaguered garrison from the Ubii warriors.

vbocww.jpg

§§§§§§§

Part III: The Eastern War – 1 July to 31 December 569

Regulus brought his battle-hardened Legio VI up against the equally talented Seleukos Apollonid in Syria on 2 July. Despite attacking over a river, Regulus was sharp at the start, with Legio VI boasting better morale, vastly more heavy infantry and an overall 10,000 man advantage. But the tide began to turn somewhat by 13 July, then even more so on the 17th, the Seleucids putting up a vicious hand-to-hand defence. Still, the Romans remained in the stronger position as the defenders began to fade.

C7eTMs.jpg

As the battle ground on, Galatia fell to Rome after a mammoth siege of almost exactly two years. The Seleucids could probably have been forced to relinquish Sparta and probably one other province at that time, but Rome wanted more.

9AV4Wg.jpg

In Syria, despite maintaining a significant numerical advantage throughout, Legio VI could not get a break against their wily enemies and Roman morale crumbled. By 28 July it was all over, the Seleucids unshakeable despite the Romans inflicting significantly more casualties in the final analysis. Once more, Mars was rapacious for the lives of mortal men.

fgSuGc.jpg

But soon after, as Legio VI fled north to Antioch, another of the ‘young lions’, S.C. Primus, was put in command of Legio II and sent south to see if he could gain a measure of vengeance. Even if Apollonid would likely be gone from Syria by then.

After this latest setback against a tough enemy and more fighting against barbarians in the West, Roman manpower was down to about 79,000 by 2 August, with 52,400 men needed to fill the gaps in the ranks. But spies reported the Seleucids were in a far worse situation: their government remained unstable [-2 stability], they had no manpower reserves and only 3 gold left in their treasury. And their civil war showed no signs of ending soon.

The Roman manpower situation seemed an embarrassment of riches by comparison, while the 4,500 gold talents in the Aerarium could sustain a massive auxiliary recruiting campaign if needed, with no spending required on the navy for many months. This encouraged Barbula, with the support of the Senate, to keep battering away at the resilient Seleucids, hoping they would break before Rome did.

Legio II arrived in Syria on 22 August to find the Seleucids had indeed gone south, to Coele-Syria. Primus set up his siege works. Just a week later, Consul Barbula received an embassy from the Seleucids offering a white peace.

“Is this some kind of joke?” thundered Barbula at the hapless envoy, one Argaeus Tirid.

The Seleucid left empty-handed, but at least with his head still attached.

Sophene fell to the Consul on 26 September, after a relatively short siege of 203 days. By that time, a Rebel army was besieging Loyalist-held Artashat to his north-east, while two Seleucid armies were manoeuvring to his south in Edessa and Mygdonia. Indeed, the latter contained a new formation to Roman experience, the 17th Stratos, with 26 regiments and commanded by one Aesillas Zoticid. And he was due to attack Barbula in five days’ time!

Zoticid attacked bravely on 1 October, across a river. While the overall numbers were reasonably even, the Seleucids’ morale was already a little shaky and Barbula was by far the better commander, with superior troops. The opening exchanges were barely a light skirmish, but by 6 October the Romans were crushing the attackers. Zoticid was now seen to have been rash rather than bold, his troops suffering a heavy defeat by 8 October, while for once the Romans took only light casualties.

gFpWDw.jpg

With western and central Asia Minor now secure, Legio V had pushed through and began a siege of Edessa on 24 November. Legio II had advanced to Coele-Syria after the Seleucids vacated it, leaving a detachment behind to invest Syria itself. Legio I pushed forward on Mygdonia with a thinned-down Legio VI following in behind them to Sophene.

i33fJ0.jpg

There were no more battles in the east before the end of the year. But there was one last diplomatic surprise at the very end of the year, with the intrepid Colchis once more chancing their arms against what they no doubt hoped was a fatally debilitated Seleucid Empire: perhaps one day they could actually recover some of their long lost territory.

slozZv.jpg

§§§§§§§

Part IV: Roma and the West - 30 June to 31 December 569

The huge Orniacos war band struck Ruteni on 3 July and immediately assaulted the walls. More than half the 2,000 man garrison had been killed before this attack was beaten back on 10 July. Once more, the earlier building of a stockade had saved the day. For the time being anyway, as Legio XII was still a considerable distance away.

eamW1A.jpg

But as that assault was being met, up in Remi the garrison succumbed to the barbarian siege. The Ubii were ruthless: the Roman colony was entirely destroyed. Just two weeks before Legio III was due to return. Dentatus kept on anyway, hoping to gain some revenge and eliminate any continuing threat the Ubii may pose to civilised lands.

CGTDVM.jpg

And they had their revenge in Remi over ten days from 18-28 July. It was a fierce engagement and the Ubii held the superior tactical position. They were not destroyed and could return – though they may instead look for other targets, perhaps among the Parisii.

t76Jyq.jpg

The annual omen fell due in early August, but this year, with a lapsed Consul [-10% chance of success] and an ‘amateur’ Pontifex Maximus who was only there because of his military abilities, the prospects for success did not seem good [only 42.3%]. This was laid out in a typically qualified and obscure letter from Humphronius in Roma to Consul Barbula in the east.

It would appear that, on the balance of probabilities, taking all relevant circumstances into account and considering the variables that may – or may not – impact upon the chances of success, the calling of an omen this year could, in the interpretation of some learned religious scholars, be regarded as something less than completely propitious. In fact, you may wish to consider deferring such an enterprise until the auspices are more favourable, in due course and the fullness of time. Or so one who addresses himself by the perpendicular pronoun may vouchsafe to offer humbly as the best advice available at this time.

Barbula looked up from the scroll with a rather dazed countenance.

“What in the Gods’ names is the old buffer blathering on about, Bernardius?”

“Ah, he suggests you should not call the annual omen this year, Consul. Discretion the better part of valour, and all that.”

“Then why didn’t he just say so!? Draft something back letting him know I concur. All that religious pontificating is just a lot of rot anyway.”

“Er, yes, Consul.”

The chickens would roost undisturbed for at least another year.

As Legio III marched back to Carnutes from Remi, Dentatus received word that the Parisii had defeated the Atrebates. He passed the message on to Roma.

u1PgE5.jpg

In southern Gaul, as Legio XII gathered recently recruited reinforcements in Arverni, the Orniacos tried another assault on the walls of Ruteni. This also failed, will already poor barbarian morale plunging even further as attrition further thinned their ranks.

29bZcW.jpg

By 25 September Ptolemy had 19,000 men mustered and set off south to Rutheni, before the barbarians could recover their morale.

It was just as well the Orniacos had weakened themselves against the walls of Ruteni, as their commander Punicus Tautalid proved to be something of a military genius. Ptolemy managed to almost match him to start with, then Punicus managed to rally his fading forces, causing the Romans heavy casualties. By 9 November the battle was at fever pitch, but the superior morale, arms and training of the Roman troops triumphed over the barbarians’ numbers and their leader’s skill.

a8LF3F.jpg

Punicus fled for now, but with well over 18,000 still under arms, would be expected to return – again and again – the following year.

Following the battle of Ruteni and with another year of fierce warfare in the East, Roman manpower stood at 69,912, with 58,000 replacements needed and about 5,900 due to reach them come next January.

§§§§§§§

So ended another tough and turbulent year, with a frontier colony destroyed in northern Gaul and hard-won advances against the Seleucids, while a new generation of elite Roman generals came to the fore. Mars had again seen a sanguine year and there was no expectation the next would be any less so.

e9S9nn.jpg

Mars – a busy God these last few years.

§§§§§§§

Finis

Last edited:
Reactions:
Amazing - I assume they must have repaired or renovated it along the way, but the foundations at least look original. All that time subject to river flows and still there.
Yes, this was somewhat damaged in the earthquake of 1998 and subsequently repaired. This one I believe still handles automobile traffic, I remember driving over this a couple of years ago. Just around the bend of the river there're some statues and writings on stone from Hittites, and in the town close by when I was playing in the dirt as a kid I found a Roman coin (which I later identified as during Basil II's reign)

On 5 June, Barbula and Bernardius (who was still attending the Consul in the field) were perplexed when the 545 day siege of Armenia was finally won by Rome – and the Seleucid Rebels took over! After all the prior fighting for it and the time and attrition taken to win the siege, this was a bitter and inexplicable outcome [1]. A disappointed Licinus started Legio IV marching back west Cappadocia.
Oh so frustrating!

Lucius Aemilius Barbula
Either they started to sound like each other or we had one with the exact name in the past?

It took Correid until 29 March to make contact with the Ubii – and the incompetent upstart, badly out-generalled by his barbarian opponent, never got the upper hand. Despite having more and better troops, the Populist hack was trounced, losing more than twice as many men than his opposite number.
The idiot!

In Syria, despite maintaining a significant numerical advantage throughout, Legio VI could not get a break against their wily enemies and Roman morale crumbled. By 28 July it was all over, the Seleucids unshakeable despite the Romans inflicting significantly more casualties in the final analysis. Once more, Mars was rapacious for the lives of mortal men.
RNG hates the Romans

Zoticid attacked bravely on 1 October, across a river. While the overall numbers were reasonably even, the Seleucids’ morale was already a little shaky and Barbula was by far the better commander, with superior troops. The opening exchanges were barely a light skirmish, but by 6 October the Romans were crushing the attackers. Zoticid was now seen to have been rash rather than bold, his troops suffering a heavy defeat by 8 October, while for once the Romans took only light casualties.
Now we're talking :)

There were no more battles in the east before the end of the year. But there was one last diplomatic surprise at the very end of the year, with the intrepid Colchis once more chancing their arms against what they no doubt hoped was a fatally debilitated Seleucid Empire: perhaps one day they could actually recover some of their long lost territory.
Normally I would be a little hopeful that they'll provide at least some distraction, but they proved to be worthless. I hope they shame me this time.

So ended another tough and turbulent year, with a frontier colony destroyed in northern Gaul and hard-won advances against the Seleucids, while a new generation of elite Roman generals came to the fore. Mars had again seen a sanguine year and there was no expectation the next would be any less so.
We have the control and the tempo in the Seleucid war, and while it's always a bummer to lose a colony unfortunately that we need to accept as part of the process. While there's still a lot of blood to be shed, the general direction is definitely positive!

Reactions:
There is, as always, a strange disconnect between the scale of the conflict and the stakes involved. As I understand it Rome might squeeze at best four provinces out of the Seleucids if we get to 100% war score, but we may only get three. And for these relatively low stakes campaigns will rage for years, hundreds of thousands will fight, tens of thousands will die and the Seleucids will empty their treasury and collapse their stability for years to come.

Are the Eastern provinces really that much richer? It is clear the war in the East is delaying our expansion into Gaul and Hispania (as the former citizens of Remi would attest, if they weren't dead), how many western provinces would we need to equal say Sparta? Unless it is something ridiculous like ten, I do wonder if this Eastern war was a 'courageous decision'. I fear the decision was not made based on long-term considerations and instead the Consul rushed prematurely into precipitate and ill-conceived action.

On which note, it is good to see Humphronious Senior has not lost his way with words in his old age. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've fallen behind on this tale a bit, but I'm glad to see it's still going strong, Bullfilter :) Going to see if I can find the time to catch up here in the near future.
Welcome back mate! I certainly hope you can. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
A sanguine year indeed. A time of blood and heroism, where good governance is less of a concern. But it always lurks in the backrooms... I mean background!
Very true! Mars remain dominant for now, but politics will never cease.
Yes, this was somewhat damaged in the earthquake of 1998 and subsequently repaired. This one I believe still handles automobile traffic, I remember driving over this a couple of years ago. Just around the bend of the river there're some statues and writings on stone from Hittites, and in the town close by when I was playing in the dirt as a kid I found a Roman coin (which I later identified as during Basil II's reign)
Fantastic! :cool:
Oh so frustrating!

Either they started to sound like each other or we had one with the exact name in the past?

The idiot!

RNG hates the Romans

Now we're talking
The war is a tough one, but slowly progresses. Given the similarity of family names, it's no surprise they tend to recur (as they did in OTL).
Normally I would be a little hopeful that they'll provide at least some distraction, but they proved to be worthless. I hope they shame me this time.
Colchis is the perennial wannabe with poor timing. We'll see how they go this time.
We have the control and the tempo in the Seleucid war, and while it's always a bummer to lose a colony unfortunately that we need to accept as part of the process. While there's still a lot of blood to be shed, the general direction is definitely positive!
We should have had enough troops there to safeguard things, but that loss and then destruction was a bit of a surprise: they happen every so often.
There is, as always, a strange disconnect between the scale of the conflict and the stakes involved. As I understand it Rome might squeeze at best four provinces out of the Seleucids if we get to 100% war score, but we may only get three. And for these relatively low stakes campaigns will rage for years, hundreds of thousands will fight, tens of thousands will die and the Seleucids will empty their treasury and collapse their stability for years to come.
Yes, that's true I guess, but is what I must play with in the game system as presented. At least it puts a brake on over-hasty blobbing. I have found that one or two big victories, with the comparatively modest territorial gains you get, are necessary precursors to ultimate dominance. And in this case, I really needed to confront the Pact in general and the Seleucid giant in particular, before they completely out-researched me (among other things). They have tried to sue for peace quite a few times, but I have simply been unrelenting in the desire to humble them. Much like the earlier take-down of Carthage. Seleucia delenda est! :D
re the Eastern provinces really that much richer? It is clear the war in the East is delaying our expansion into Gaul and Hispania (as the former citizens of Remi would attest, if they weren't dead), how many western provinces would we need to equal say Sparta? Unless it is something ridiculous like ten, I do wonder if this Eastern war was a 'courageous decision'. I fear the decision was not made based on long-term considerations and instead the Consul rushed prematurely into precipitate and ill-conceived action.
They are a lot richer, more populous and advanced than undeveloped barbarian reclamations in the West. With the latter, it is the spread of civilisation rather than military dominance that governs the pace of settlement. More troops there won't hasten anything per se, though (as you note) would make the odd sacking less likely (and consequent loss or decrease in civ % when not destroyed). But in this case, quite sizable garrisons were left, which should have been enough in most cases and certainly this last one. But Remi, for example, is a marginal border colony loss. And the Seleucids had to be confronted before they became unassailable.

The West will continue to be a strong focus for settlement, garrisons calculated to be adequate most of the time for expansion and securing the colonisation gains. But sometimes, when there's a big war on, I may get called on one of those risk assessments. I'll try to do both simultaneously, as best it can be managed.
On which note, it is good to see Humphronious Senior has not lost his way with words in his old age. ;)
Wars and Consuls may come and go, but verbose bureaucracy (ie 'good government' in Humpy's jaundiced view) will endure them all!

Reactions:
Chapter XCII: The Children of Mars (1 January 570 AUC/183 BC to 20 July 571/182 BC)
Chapter XCII: The Children of Mars
(1 January 570 AUC/183 BC to 20 July 571)

EjAbqB.jpg

Foreword

The top general Titus Aemilius Barbula had been Consul since 2 December 568 AUC and remained in command of Legio I. In western and central Asia Minor, 569 AUC had finished with Legio V besieging Edessa, while Legio II had advanced to Coele-Syria leaving a detachment to continue the siege of Syria and Legio I pushed to Mygdonia. Then Colchis had yet again declared war on the Seleucid Empire in another attempt at revenge.

In the West, the Orniacos tribe had been defeated by Ptolemy Ptolemy’s Legio XII before the walls of Ruteni in southern Gaul, their formidable commander Punicus Tautalid’s efforts notwithstanding. But they remained a serious threat and would return. And return. And return. Colonisation options in central Hispania still required local barbarians to respond to Roman provocation, so they would rise and be cleared out, allowing the settlers in.

And a new generation of elite Roman generals – dubbed ‘the Children of Mars’ by some – was now coming to prominence, both via the cursus honorum but also through direct Senate nominations. The new year began with Mars still ascendant and his ‘children’ coming of age.

§§§§§§§

Part I: The Eastern War - January to December 570

The first major engagement of the year in the East came at Sophene, when Mitrodoros Vardanid attacked T.A. Regulus’ Legio VI. The Seleucid general's superior skills were offset by him having to attack across a river, while he had a couple of thousand more but less well-armed troops, with poorer starting morale than the Romans. Regulus opened the battle well, holding his own until reinforced on 30 January by around 4,000 more troops, who now gave him the edge in numbers. This was useful, as it enabled him to prevail despite Vardanid having the better of the later exchanges. Rome had the victory, while the casualties were almost exactly even.

fuRAZJ.jpg

As this was happening, a large revolt broke out in Bithynia. Fortunately, A.C. Dives was in place with 21,000 men destined for the front. The battle was bloody, with Rome losing over 3,800 precious troops, but a dangerous rebellion was quashed.

bV5BaA.jpg

Also in early February, Thracia, Triballi and Maedi were acknowledged as core provinces of the Roman patrimony.

After these battles, by 28 February the Roman manpower reserve stood at 60,703, with 54,021 vacancies and 6,263 due to be deployed as replacements in the coming month. Monthly recruiting stood at 2,252 – never enough to balance out the monthly losses through battle and attrition.

A major consolidation of the cohorts on 8 March, after the monthly replacements had gone out, left the reserve at 56,492 but now only 36,568 vacancies, though of course with the total number of cohorts reduced.

The various Roman sieges continued uninterrupted until 11 April, when the young military prodigy Demetrius Zoticid (yet another of the top-flight Seleucid generals) attacked Consul Barbula in Mygdonia, where his siege was still in its early stages. Although outnumbered, Zoticid put up a ferocious fight. As the battle swung to and fro, by 23 April the Seleucids remained fully in it. Despite having taken terrible casualties their morale was bearing up while the Romans’ resolve began to falter.

rgGWsf.jpg

This situation continued, the morale of both sides falling at a similar rate, but a Roman charge on 2 May was the decisive blow. The Consul prevailed four days later, losing almost 4,600 troops but inflicting crippling casualties on the 17th Stratos, which had lost well over half its number when they withdrew on 6 May.

RlNbEY.jpg

Deciding to immediately follow up this major victory, on 6 May Barbula ordered S.C Primus to leave a detachment to continue the siege of Coele-Syria and take the main body of Legio II (about 15,300 men) east to Mesopotamia, which was undefended. Old G.F. Licinus was to do the same, leaving a detachment in Syria and then follow Primus through to Mesopotamia via Coele-Syria with the rest of Legio IV (about 16,400 men).

In early July, a large Seleucid Rebel army was assaulting the walls of Loyalist Kirkuk. Legio II was in Mesopotamia and pushing on towards Babylon as Legio IV approached Mesopotamia from the west. The four Roman sieges were making their slow but steady progress.

cLrZ7y.jpg

By 23 August, the Rebels had occupied Kirkuk and – rather opportunistically – taken over the siege of Coele-Syria, which had almost reached completion. Rather than use Roman troops to aid their effort, or worse be wasted in a reckless assault, the Roman detachment was sent back to Syria. Legio II had halted in Mesopotamia and Legio VI joined them as Seleucid forces began to appear in strength to the north-east.

lTXtK1.jpg

But rather than be rude about it, the Rebels made a diplomatic advance to Rome on the same day. Not only did Barbula agree to their request for military access, but he soon responded with a reciprocal proposal to which the Rebels were happy to agree.

4TIEX6.jpg

Barbula thought this could come in handy later when seeking access to the remaining Loyalist heartland provinces. This marked a definite improvement of relations between the two realms, which would continue in coming months.

By mid-September the Seleucids had withdrawn from Adiabene and Primus was sent there with Legio II (15,500 men in 30 cohorts), Licinus left to run the siege in Mesopotamia with 13 cohorts in Legio VI.

With no more recent major battles in the east (though attrition was always an issue and the barbarians had been a drain in the west over the same time, as we shall see below) at the start of October the manpower reserve was 48,029, and 33,734 replacements were needed. It was still decreasing, but enough to sustain the continuation of the war, in Rome’s view.

Legio II arrived in Adiabene on 9 October, setting up its siege camp against the 2,000 man garrison. No Seleucid armies remained nearby in the bordering provinces of Gelae or Atropatene: their visible forces were currently to the north in Meskheti and Artashat. And they had taken Phasis from Colchis, just north of Meskheti.

The Senate once again proved a good judge of talent when they proposed that the 24 year old Manius Junius Bubulcus [Martial 8] be given a field promotion to Legate, in charge of one of the siege detachments in Syria. Another Young Lion had joined the Children of Mars.

On 6 November, scouts reported that the 1st Army of Colchis (with 10 units) was fighting Vardanid’s 13th Seleucid Stratos (20 units) in Pontic Trapezus. Despite the difference in unit numbers, the Seleucid force was likely to be greatly under-strength, so it was unknown who might have the numerical advantage. These Roman scouts had come from T.A. Regulus’ Legio VI, which had taken advantage of the Seleucid Rebel military access agreement to march through Armenia to attack the Loyalist’s 1st Stratos in Meskheti, where battle was joined on 9 November.

Apollonid was the superior commander, but Regulus had the great advantage of numbers and morale. Unfortunately, the Seleucids clearly had the better of the first ten days of fighting. But then the Romans turned things around over following days, while inflicting heavy casualties on the badly outnumbered Seleucids. By 27 November, Legio VI was on the brink of a crushing victory, having almost wiped out the whole of the opposing 1st Stratos. And then, on 30 November, came the perplexing ‘Mystery of Meskheti’.

ODBzbb.jpg

It is lost to history what caused the Romans to retreat: an inexplicable failure of morale, a battlefield miscommunication or some other misadventure. But they conceded the field even after having left fewer than 700 Seleucids alive to claim it.

I really can’t remember what happened here: deliberate, a mis-click or one of those strange morale vagaries. This session was played back in mid-December and it was a long one, with over 900 screenshots taken that I have been writing up ever since. So it actually is lost to the mists of history!

As the battle was ending, the Colchis-Seleucid fight was still going on in nearby Trapezus! And better news reached Barbula on 30 November; Mygdonia had fallen to Rome after a 330 day siege. As the year drew to a close, the Rebels took Coele-Syria on 27 December. While on 31 December, Legio VI completed their retreat in Rebel-held Armenia and headed straight back to Meskheti – which the Seleucids had by then vacated. The battle in Trapezus had ended, but it was not clear who had won it. And the three ‘older’ sieges in the south were making good progress.

CSH7iP.jpg

§§§§§§§

Part II: The West and Rome - January 570 to July 571

In late January 570, Punicus led his Orniacos warriors back to Ruteni from Volcae, where the numbers were almost even but the morale of Legio XII was superior. The battle started well for Punicus but Ptolemy was able to strike back after five days. He still suffered a few hundred more casualties than the wily barbarian chief, but emerged victorious on 8 February.

shGCGn.jpg

As Ptolemy waited in southern Gaul for the inevitable return of the Orniacos, early March saw an ill-timed revolt by a small Orgonomesci band in Sedetani (Hispania) was ruthlessly put down by Legio X, which was garrisoned there, despite being surprised at the start.

B7sMTm.jpg

Punicus appeared in Ruteni again on 24 April and once more won the opening exchanges, but was defeated after two weeks of the usual bloody fighting. The Orniacos retreated, only to start the whole cycle over again.

KleCML.jpg

While he waited for Punicus to return, Ptolemy discovered the Orgonomesci stragglers from the earlier battle in Sedetani crossing into the Roman Ruteni on 7 July. All 1,058 barbarians were killed in a single day for no Roman loss, with 2,000 slaves sent off to the markets.

The Orniacos turned up in Ruteni a couple of weeks later, but were this time more easily beaten over ten days from 23 July to 2 August 570. Rome lost 1,179 of around 17,500 troops and the barbarians 3,757 from just under 12,500. But they would of course be back for more.

In Roma, there was another move up the cursus honorum, with a new Pontifex Maximus chosen in late August – again, for his military promise rather than any administrative finesse or charisma he may bring to the role. This left the young (and militarily brilliant) L.A. Barbula available for the next Censor’s slot to become available. Two more ‘Children of Mars’ hoping for their chance to do great deeds for the Republic (and themselves, of course).

X7ITna.jpg

On 13 October, Tomis (north of Thracia, taken from Pontus previously) became the latest province to be fully ‘Romanised’ culturally. On examination, it was discovered to be without a stockade, so one was ordered. With so much gold in the Aerarium, (over 4,800 talents at that time), a massive building program was commenced by Consul Barbula. After a Republic-wide audit, stockades were also commenced in Lusitani, Olissipo and Vettones. Temples were begun in Vaccaei, Cantabri, Sedetani and Saguntum. In total, these eight projects would cost around 360 gold talents and each would take just under a year to complete.

The Orniacos were back in Ruteni on 17 October and this time had found a new route in, managing to surprise the Romans as the battle began. Punicus maintained the tactical advantage, but Ptolemy managed to close the gap five days later, while his superiority in numbers, equipment and morale led to another Roman victory by 30 October. But this invasion, which had begun back in early July 569, was still not over. There would be yet another reckoning with Punicus.

pxMHaw.jpg

It seemed that Ruteni had become a magnet for barbarian activity. On 2 December, on the very day the Consular election was being conducted in Roma, 1,000 Paesuri tribesmen rose in revolt ... against Ptolemy’s battle-tested Legio XII, with 18,500 troops. Needless to say, all the barbarians were slain the same day they revolted, with no legionaries lost and another 1,000 slaves despatched to the markets.

In Roma itself, the Religious faction once again found itself in power. The new Consul was a man with a familiar name, wildly charismatic but with none of the military skills of his illustrious predecessor. A Quintus Aemilius Papus was once more the chief magistrate of the Republic. Humphronius was less than impressed with this latest Papus.

XdIWPD.jpg

Papus had inherited a long but apparently winning war. A war he had no intention of ending until ‘final Roman victory’.

§§§§§§§

The new Consulship brought a great change in religious appeal, after the cynical rule of Barbula. Papus therefore decided to see the new year in by once more invoking an omen, the calling of which had been suspended during Barbula’s term. But perhaps the poultry was out of practice, as it proved a disaster anyway: Minerva was not impressed.

5gxIxl.jpg

Then on 14 January, the Orniacos turned up for what would prove the ultimate reckoning with Ptolemy. In this case, it was the opening exchange that proved crucial. Massively outnumbered, the brave but doomed barbarian warriors were caught in a withering rain of arrows and a devastating assault. Punicus rallied brilliantly for a final stand, but had lost so many troops by that point (down to fewer than 1,300 men) that even this caused relatively few Roman casualties, though it did dent their morale. Ptolemy rallied again and by 30 January, after a year and a half of bloody contest, the Orniacos invasion was over. Ruteni was saved and the spoils distributed.

2rPGst.jpg

And now the Orniacos had been destroyed, Rome was free to colonise Volcae, sending colonists there on 30 January 571, who were due to establish their settlement on 30 May. It would bring the linking of Hispania with Gaul one important step closer. Even while the interminable efforts to flush out the local barbarians from central Hispania continued so they too could be colonised.

vu71Ho.jpg

The Senate’s mission to take Crete had been long ignored, but in April 571 it came to bite Bubulcus and his Religious faction on the fundament, as the governing party. The Senate came up with a new task – one that made sense, but sowed the seeds for the next war in the east. However, there was a fifteen year time span in which to achieve it.

FyzIpg.jpg

At the end of May, Volcae was once again colonised, ending a Roman absence dating back to when the original colony, settled in 557, had been sacked and destroyed by an earlier Orniacos war band nine years before, in 562. Naturally, construction of a stockade was begun immediately.

Xm2yWq.jpg

And there was more good news from Hispania when 5,000 Luggones barbarians finally rose in Arevaci on 1 July and were easily beaten six days later. Once they had exited the province, a new colony could be started there too.

iko5uU.jpg

§§§§§§§

Part III: The Eastern War - January to July 571

With the beginning of another new year, Roman manpower remained in a small overall net surplus, with 44,315 in reserve and 29,576 replacements needed. Still better off than the chronically under-manned Seleucid Empire, which had also lost much territory to the Rebels in the civil war.

The new Consul was at least an outstanding diplomat and he chose to build on the recent advances in the relationship with the Seleucid Rebels made in 570 by proclaiming a guarantee for them on 2 January. This would build an already positive relationship more quickly.

U3btBS.jpg

By the end of January, Vardanid’s 13th Stratos had been spotted in Pontus, making a foray towards Roman-occupied Cappadocia, as Legio VI arrived back in Meskheti to start besieging it. With the other legions deployed further east, the nearest free formation was Pro-Consul Barbula’s Legio I, in Sophene. Bubulcus requested he head back west to deal with it. But Vardanid would have a bit of time to make mischief before Barbula could get there. Meanwhile, the other sieges of Seleucid provinces were making good progress.

bOR1BQ.jpg

And just two days later, Mesopotamia fell to Rome after a relatively brief 191 day siege. By that time, the Rebels had taken Babylon and seemed to be wrapping up the remaining Loyalist territories in the south-west of the Empire. Then on 6 February, Edessa surrendered to Rome after a lengthy 442 days of siege.

Vardanid slipped into Cappadocia on 6 March and immediately began an assault on the 1,000 man garrison. Perhaps seeking to use this foray as diplomatic leverage, a Seleucid envoy was sent the same day, proposing a peace deal. And this time, the Loyalists were getting serious, with an offer of territory instead of the laughable white peace proposals they had been making to date.

xOswuy.jpg

But despite Senate enthusiasm for the peace deal, the new Consul was no more disposed than his predecessors to relent. He was determined to squeeze more out of the Seleucids than this.

Ten days later, mixed news arrived. The grinding siege of Syria had ended in Roman victory.

9HSDiV.jpg

But the very same day, the Seleucids had their revenge in Cappadocia, which fell after a ten day assault. However, the effort was sure to have exhausted the men of the 13th Stratos.

And they had still not recovered when Barbula arrived two weeks later, with punishment on his mind. By that stage, Vardanid had been trying to flee, but was not quick enough. He broke contact as soon as he could, retreating east towards rebel-held Armenia.

Wpx665.jpg

Barbula wasted no time in assaulting the city to return it to Roman occupation, which only took a day of fighting. Later in May, Primus led Legio II to Atropatene as Legio IV took over the siege of Adiabene. This was the furthest east Roman legions had ever reached. When he arrived on 20 May, he discovered the Seleucid 17th Stratos in Gelae (32 units under Demetrius Zoticid) would reach him ten days later and 1st Stratos (23 units, Seleukos Apollonid) was also sitting in Gelae, though not yet moving. Primus settled in and prepared for a fight.

As this was unfolding, rumours emerged of old G.F. Licinus, commanding Legio IV in Adiabene, becoming disloyal again [27% loyalty]: having all those personally loyal troops would always tempt a general down that path. With a triumph not being available and plenty of money in the Aerarium, a large bribe was sent his way [+18% loyalty resulting]. It meant he remained luke-warm, but at age 72, how much longer would this matter?

More importantly, on 3 May Legio V, led by ‘Child of Mars’ Caelus Fabius Gurges [Martial 7], arrived in Armenia with 21,500 men. This would be a nasty surprise for Vardanid and the remainder of his 13th Stratos which was due to finish its retreat there from Cappadocia just six days later.

At the same time, on the diplomatic front Consul Bubulcus unveiled his biggest diplomatic play yet: an alliance was proposed to and accepted by the Seleucid Rebels, pushed through despite some mixed feelings about it in the Senate.

YHpwWd.jpg

By then, the Rebels seemed well on top in the civil war, having almost secured the entire southern heartland of the Seleucid Empire. With Rome having occupied Asia Minor, the Loyalists were now apparently falling back into their final stronghold in the north-east. Of course, if the Rebels had not won by the time the Romans concluded a peace with the Loyalists, the Empire may be revived when the Loyalists received a substantial part of those currently occupied lands back under their control.

The encounter battle in Armenia between the 13th Stratos and Legio V was brief, taking just four days to resolve (9-13 May). Rome lost 673 of 21,553 troops and the Seleucids 1,435 of 6,777 after Vardanid put up an effective rear-guard action before retreating once again.

On 25 May, the Rebels took Uruk from the Loyalists. In Atropatene, Legio II braced for an attack from the north-west, where two different Seleucid armies were following each other in his direction.

30vFwJ.jpg

Demetrius Zoticid’s 17th Stratos hit the equally skilled ‘Young Lion’ S.C. Primus’ Legio II on 30 May 571 AUC. Primus had a clear advantage in numbers and outwitted his experienced opponent in the opening exchang. The battle tightened after that, rising to a crescendo of ferocity on 10 June that proved too much for the attackers, who were driven off in a clear Roman victory on 12 June.

HhJ8jJ.jpg

But even as this battle was drawing to a close, the enemy had consolidated its forces in Gelae, where Seleukos Apollonid’s 1st Stratos now contained 55 regiments of unknown strength. And they were due to reach Atropatene in around four weeks.

The Second Battle of Atropatene started as expected on 9 July – and this time it was the Seleucids with the advantage in overall numbers. Interestingly though, the vast bulk of their army was now lightly armed foot soldiers, with a small contingent of archers. Primus had a balanced force, more than half of whom were principes. His main disadvantage at the start was a relatively small morale deficit, as his troops had not entirely recovered from their earlier battle.

The Romans were however quite confident, as once again two equally elite generals faced off. But this time, Apollonid had one very formidable ally: luck. Fortuna abandoned Primus, who could not gain any advantage over his wily adversary. He called the battle off on 20 July when his casualties were already heavy, morale failing and the enemy had once again kept a strong tactical advantage.

bjVLio.jpg

Legio II headed back to Adiabene, where Licinus‘s siege was progressing well. For now, despite another successful year and a half of fighting in the Great Seleucid War, the enemy had gained themselves a little breathing space and were regathering in their north-eastern strongholds. Consul Bubulcus would have to decide his course of action for the second half of 571 AUC.

trpSow.jpg

§§§§§§§

Endnote. This brings the AAR back up to date with gameplay, finishing off the reporting of the long play session that I finished back in mid-December. We will see what the strategies of men and the whims of the Gods have in store for the Republic next time.

Finis

Reactions:
One might wonder if the Pasterni marched themselves into slavery as it would be preferable to whatever lies beyond.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You'd think a religious consul would at least have the decency to be embarrassed about mucking up the Omen. Surely that is the one thing he should be able to 'fix'?

In other news the war continues to grind bloodily on, has anyone asked the Pontifex Maximus to check that Mars hasn't been replaced by Khorne? These wars seems less valiant and honourable battle and more blood for the blood god, he cares not whence it flows and all that.

Reactions:
One might wonder if the Pasterni marched themselves into slavery as it would be preferable to whatever lies beyond.
A bit of a Hobson’s choice there! :D
You'd think a religious consul would at least have the decency to be embarrassed about mucking up the Omen. Surely that is the one thing he should be able to 'fix'?

In other news the war continues to grind bloodily on, has anyone asked the Pontifex Maximus to check that Mars hasn't been replaced by Khorne? These wars seems less valiant and honourable battle and more blood for the blood god, he cares not whence it flows and all that.
The Consul was indeed embarrassed, I was just irate! :mad::D

And this war, not yet ended, has indeed become a Khorneucopia of blood and skulls. Blood is demanded for blood, until the bitter end. Or the game mechanics demand it, anyway, given a 100% victory is the only thing that will now remotely suffice after such sanguinary effusions of this years-long conflict.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter XCIII: Mars and Minerva (20 July 571/182 BC to 2 December 574/179 BC)
Chapter XCIII: Mars and Minerva
(20 July 571/182 BC to 2 December 574/179 BC)

Rxy4cK.jpg

Foreword

Consul Quintus Aemilius Papus, a charismatic Religious politician with a famous name, had been elected to the senior Roman magistracy on 2 December 570 AUC (183 BC). He had inherited the long war in the East, now just against the Seleucids, that had begun back in March 564.

The war had so far seen Macedon annexed and Pontus forced to make a separate peace with the loss of territory, including the rich and strategically important province of Bithynia. A new generation of elite Roman generals – ‘the Children of Mars’ – had risen and come of age. Now it was time to see if the war could be brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

§§§§§§§

Part I: The Seleucid War - 20 July to 9 December 570 AUC

On 9 August, the Seleucid province of Adiabene fell to Gaius Fabius Licinus after 305 days of siege – a firm base to which S.C. Primus’ Legio II could retreat after its heavy loss in the Second Battle of Atropatene, to the 1st Stratos of Seleukos Apollonid on 20 July.

That same day, Titus Aemilius Barbula [Martial 9] led the 22,000 men of Legio I in an attack on just under 5,000 Seleucids commanded Mitrodoros Vardanid [also Martial 9] in Artashat. The battle was won by Rome in just three days, with relatively light casualties (319 Roman and 550 Seleucid) [warscore to +78%].

On 1 September, A.I. Dives' new legion (15,000 men) was formally named Legio VIII. It was then in Bithynia and heading east, to help finish off the Seleucid War. This was a calculated risk, as it left the whole Danube frontier undefended against possible barbarian incursions. Roman manpower stood at 47,762 in reserve with 36,791 replacements needed.

On 8 September, the situation in the east saw Rome conducting sieges in the north and the Seleucids looking to retake Armenia. But in the south, Legio II was being pursued back to Adiabene by two Seleucid armies. The first of these would arrive three days after Legio II, but the second was not due to arrive for another month. Both the Roman legions in Adiabene were severely under-manned as they braced for the Seleucid attack. They prepared to retreat to Rebel-held Kirkuk in case things went against them.

256vuk.jpg

The numbers were roughly even when the two armies clashed on 15 September, but Primus got the upper hand in the opening exchanges against a Seleucid army that had still not recovered its morale and was overwhelmingly made up of light infantry militia. No Roman retreat would be required: Primus had a measure of revenge for his savaging in Atropatene the month before.

x4sfvU.jpg

The loyalty of Licinus, long-time commander of Legio IV, was once again called into question in late September, after the victory at Adiabene. This time it took a 50 gold talent bribe [+19% loyalty] and appointments as both an Augur and a Pontifex [+5% each] to assuage him.

On 8 October, the Rebels were advancing on Atopatene from Kirkuk, but more perplexing (and not a little frustrating) was the defection of Roman-held Sophene to the Rebels (Rome’s allies) after a small Rebel contingent arrived there [warscore reduced to +74%].

xQ4GY2.jpg

If this kept happening, Roman bargaining power might erode before more new Seleucid provinces could be occupied to offset the effects.

Legio V (G.F. Gurges, 20,700 men) joined the other Roman legions in Adiabene on 14 November and headed north straight away: both to invest Gelae and escape the effects of the attrition so many troops gathered in one place was causing.

From 29 November to 7 December, Legio VIII (I.A. Dives, 15,000 men) engaged a Seleucid force of only 5,768 troops in Armenia, after completing their long approach march from Thracia. It was a tough fight but ended in Roman victory (1,865 Roman and 2,423 Seleucid casualties).

However, with Rebel troops moving towards other Roman-occupied Seleucid provinces now prompting fears of more defections and the likelihood of a total [ie 100% warscore] victory receding, on 8 December 571, after more than six and a half years of grinding and bloody warfare, Rome finally put comparatively ambitious terms to the Loyalist leadership.

Cew2xQ.jpg

Which were accepted: the Great War in the East was over. Rome finally acquired Sparta and expanded its foothold in Asia Minor into Pergamon and Phrygia. The Seleucid civil war continued; the Rebels were Roman allies and the Loyalists a much-diminished force, though they would now receive the other Roman-occupied territory back – if they could hold it.

The seven Roman legions in the east now started to make their long way back home. But due to having no access through now-restored Loyalist territory, they all had to march to Rebel Syria for repatriation by sea. This would take time and attrition, on land and then at sea [NB I’m simply not going to move so many troops in four-cohort packets to avoid that.] At that time, Roman manpower stood at 43,467 in reserve for 35,472 vacancies.

It was soon discovered that key generals were not impressed with peace being struck! Not only the recently-bribed Licinus, but also Dentatus and Ptolemy (both in Gaul) were suddenly discontented. Another 50 gold went to Licinus, while Ptolemy qualified for a triumph [+50% loyalty]. But Dentatus was not of sufficient calibre to warrant such largesse: he was ‘retired’ and replaced with one of the Young Lions, L.A. Barbula, in Legio III in northern Gaul – for which there were new plans.

84yhsn.jpg

And to begin the replenishment of military commanders, M.O. Crassus was made Pontifex Maximus, with a military talent once more replacing a man of administrative genius and good charisma to oversee the omens.

Thus sat the East as the dust settled on 9 December.

bgrgNp.jpg

The Rebels are marked by the darker yellow provinces and green flags.

§§§§§§§

Part II: Rome and the West - 20 July 571 to 2 December 572 AUC

The West had remained quiet until 1 September 571, when the Luggones warband fleeing from an earlier defeat by Rome in Hispania was spotted in Vascones, heading towards Roman Volcae in southern Gaul. Legio XII (Ptolemy Ptolemy, 19,500 men) was in nearby Ruteni and marched west to meet them: they would arrive 12 days before the barbarians.

On 26 September, four new previously ordered temples and four stockades were completed in provinces around the Republic, mainly in Gaul and Hispania. Then in early October, Vaccaei, Cantabri and Helvetii all became core parts of the Roman patrimony.

The battle in Volcae was quick and merciless, with the Roman victory on 23 October seeing all 2,767 Luggones warriors killed for the loss of just 54 Roman legionaries. No gold was taken, but 5,000 slaves were.

Then the day peace was declared in the East, the Helvetii remnant province in Ligones was the new conquest target L.A. Barbula had been brought over to deal with. An easy war was anticipated – the unfortunate envoy may indeed be the only Roman casualty suffered!

fHTHyG.jpg

Records from the time show the difference in wealth, population and supply capacity between the recently acquired rich provinces of Greece and Asia Minor compared to the newly colonised lands of the West.

uAbQy7.jpg

Note: Information prompted by the earlier question from @El Pip regarding the relative value of eastern and western provinces. The manpower contribution sits at zero until the culture of the province becomes Roman.

For example, Bithynia had a total population of 41 (pops), 75.8% civilisation level and a tax base of 10.4 gold. Aquitani had just four ‘civilised’ pops, 38.7% civilisation and three barbarian pops still lurking around, with a tax base of only 0.4 gold.

qNvskK.jpg

The situation in the West as at 15 December 571 AUC.

The year ended well, with the successful colonisation of Arevaci in Hispania.

TeDgiu.jpg

§§§§§§§

The advantages of a Religious Consul at omen time were clear when Minerva was again invoked in January 572.

ZcwoWA.jpg

By the time Legio III arrived in Ligones, the small Helvetii army had retreated north to Remi. They would never have the strength to confront the Roman invaders.

But over in Hispania, in early February the Amaci tribe had stirred in Astures and were making for Cantabri with 15,000 warriors. Legio X would leave one detachment in Lusones, but pick up 7,000 more troops in the recently settled Arevaci on the way through. And with the end of combat operations in the east, ‘Young Lion’ M.J. Bubulcus was appointed to command the legion: as the numbers would be even and the talents of the Amaci warband’s leader were unknown, while A.C. Caudex was only moderately competent.

NOiPnB.jpg

The passage through Lusones stirred up 2,000 local Bastetani tribesmen: useful for pacifying the province, but a delay for the march of Legio X, which was taking some attrition on the way through. The battle was fought from 2-10 March, Rome losing 226 men and the Bastetani 680.

Shortly afterwards, on 14 March the Amaci reached Cantabri, which fortunately had a stockade to protect it. The Amaci assault lasted until 19 March, being beaten off with the loss of 565 or the 2,000 man town garrison, the barbarians losing quite a few of their own and all their morale. On 28 March, Legio X was in Arevaci and, reinforced to 14,581 men, began heading north to relieve Cantabri.

In Lingones, the short siege ended on 9 April: the last Helvetii stronghold was soon annexed into the Republic. Naturally, a stockade was immediately begun. And on 25 April, it was noticed Remi was available for colonisation so settlers were soon on their way there.

qTnFjz.jpg

The Roman attack on Cantabri started on 6 May: and the wisdom of having sent a top commander was soon born out. Bubulcus found himself attacking over a river, against a brilliant barbarian war chief. Fortunately, he had a few more and much better troops, while barbarian morale had not yet fully recovered. Caisaros Culchid got off to a savage start and the result might still have gone differently had Bubulcus not recovered by 11 May. Rome won the battle in the end, though at a steep cost. Cantabri was saved, but the Amaci would be back – more than once.

4Os1B3.jpg

The latest barbarian remnant to flee to Volcae only to meet with destruction was the group of 1,320 Bastetani tribesmen who blundered into Ptolemy and Legio XII on 2 June. All were killed the same day, for no Roman loss, with 2,000 slaves sent to the markets. The very same day, a revolt broke out in Lingones, where L.A. Barbula's Legio III took just two days to wipe out all 3,000 rebels for just 87 Romans killed.

By 5 July, the Roman manpower reserve was down to just 13,804 men, but recent attrition (especially in the east – more in the next section) and combat had increased the replacement requirement to 42,912: a deficit of around 30,000 men that would (at 2,236 current monthly recruitment) probably take years to remedy.

And savage fights like the latest battle in Cantabri in August 572 did not help: The wily Culchid maintained a tactical edge for the whole battle, with the Romans becoming worried until Bubulcus managed to almost match him on 17 August, which soon led the Amaci to retreat once again.

iBNJMs.jpg

The new colony in Remi was established on 24 August, extending the northern border of the Republic in Gaul all the way up to the tributary Parisii buffer state – and of course seeing a new stockade begun immediately.

By this time, the monthly Roman budget surplus was around 40 gold, with the treasury back up to 1,853 after the enormous infrastructure spending of the last year (see more below). Most of those projects would be completed by October 572.

The last battle of 571 in the west was another fight in Cantabri, but this time Bubulcus maintained a modest tactical edge for its duration (4-12 November). And it made all the difference in the casualty count. The Amaci would return again, but they had been broken as a major force.

Hwv4yI.jpg

Infrastructure. From September 571 to December 572, Consul Quintus Aemilius Papus had overseen a massive investment in the Republic’s infrastructure. In October 571 alone, 61 new projects were commissioned at a cost of 2,900 gold talents, including 11 temples, 20 forums, 22 stockades (which were built even in ‘secure’ provinces, to help slow down rebellions or invasions that might make it that far) and eight irrigation projects. All told, and including a couple of buildings funded by local governors, 78 new projects were commenced in a little over a year.

2 December brought the two-year Consular term of Q.A. Papus to an end. His replacement was a close relation from the same Religious party: his brother Publius.

E1RxNn.jpg

The ruling Religious party was once again supreme, led by the Aemilii, with the Populists dropping back again in influence.

§§§§§§§

Part III: The East – 10 December 571 to 2 December 572 AUC

Q.A. Papus’s incumbency had still witnessed some action and events in the east after the end of the Seleucid War, both from barbarian incursions and in the diplomatic sphere, where it remained a hotbed of action.

All the eastern legions were still on their way to Syria when a large invasion by the Hermunduri rose in Eravisci on 29 January 572, with 15,000 warriors heading towards the Roman border province of Autariatae. Leaving the Danube frontier undefended had proven too great a temptation to barbarian plunderers. This outbreak was unrelated to but coincided with the Amaci rising in Hispania.

The Hermunduri invasion struck Autariatae on 21 February and the walls were assaulted. The garrison held after a four day battle, but had lost half of their 2,000 man strength as the barbarians settled in for a siege.

It wasn’t until 10 March that the first troops arrived in Syria for repatriation: a little over 20,000 men in 23 cohorts of Legio VIII, led by A.I. Dives. They began boarding ship for the long voyage to Scodra, weighing anchor on 16 March. They would sail direct: “Damn the attrition – Autariatae needs us!” was Dives’ order of the day.

15I7A3.jpg

As Classis IV made its way back to the Illyrian coast, the latest venture by Colchis was (predictably) unravelling. On 1 April they made a separate peace with Pontus, but remained at war with the Seleucid Loyalists.

xAd6X7.jpg

Note the barbarian incursion east of Rhoxolani.

The next development was an unexpected declaration of war by Egypt on the Seleucids. They currently shared a border with the Loyalists in Mesopotamia and through their enclave in Asia Minor. Of course, this would bring Pontus into the conflict, as their alliance with the Loyalists still held. Rome had a fresh treaty with the Loyalists and had no wish to revoke it so soon after its conclusion.

TfFyZw.jpg

With no Roman relieving force yet in sight, the Hermunduri assaulted the walls of Autariatae again in early May – and this time succeeded, causing significant damage, though the province survived under barbarian occupation.

NQnenj.jpg

In mid-May, old Licinus once again got restive and waited for another bribe to be sent his way. But this time, with no major war in prospect, the Consul’s patience ran out: Legio IV got a new commander and Licinus, still leader of the Military faction, stewed in angry resentment [ie to 0% loyalty], but did not rebel when relieved.

nyKTvk.jpg

Legio VIII finally made landfall in Scodra on 29 May: and their voyage had reduced its strength to 17,180 men. Dives would pick up some replacements on the way to Moesi, where the Hermunduri were also heading after their storming of Autariatae.

A couple of days later, T.A. Barbula, commanding Legio I, was the next to show signs of disloyalty. Papus decided he was too skilled [Martial 9] and young (age 46) to alienate, so handed over the ‘traditional’ 50 gold to appease the former Consul [+24% loyalty].

The Hermunduri arrived in Moesi on 20 June, but did not have the strength to assault the walls, investing them instead as Legio VIII approached from the south-west.

Then on 28 June, an Egyptian envoy arrived in Roma bearing a call to arms to join their war of aggression in the east. Nicodemus Philonid had made sure the Senate was informed of his mission before he met with Papus. The bloodthirsty Senators were all for another adventure.

But Papus was not. He had consulted with Humphronius before admitting Nicodemus.

“I’m not sure what the Gods may be advising you, Consul,” opined a self-assured Humphronius. “But we still have a large manpower deficit, our troops are out of position and we are fighting off two dangerous barbarian invasions, one in Hispania and the distraction on the Danube. Breaking the recent treaty with the Seleucids may be tempting, but Pontus is fresh and well recovered by now. I believe it would be a very courageous move to accept this call to arms, Consul.”

“So you think I should listen to Minerva rather than Mars, in this case?”

“Precisely, Consul. We have the Seleucid Rebellion now as allies, and this Egyptian declaration should ensure they win. So breaking the alliance with Egypt is a price we can afford. And this may sap Egyptian strength somewhat, which may be in our longer term interests.”

“Very devious, Humphronius. I approve! Show in the Egyptian envoy.”

“Yes, Consul.”

TVxIAV.jpg

Just two days later, Colchis made yet another humiliating peace with the Seleucid Loyalists. The wonder was they still had any territory left to concede.

QSmgUJ.jpg

And the new order in the east continued to shake out, with a new Bosporan Kingdom being proclaimed two days later, starting off with war on the Rhoxolani.

prwYFd.jpg

On the Danube, Dives fell upon the Hermunduri on 10 July, having picked up a couple of drafts of replacements on their long march from Scodra.

41XfEu.jpg

Despite having to attack across a river and being caught exposed, the superior skills of Dives and his more heavily armed if unbalanced (no archers had been in Syria when they left in such haste) scratch force were enough to win the battle in six days. He chased the barbarians back to Autariatae.

The follow-up battle was over as soon as it began on 30 August. All 9,171 Hermunduri warriors were slaughtered for no Roman loss, with 10,000 slaves and 21 gold taken as plunder and Autariatae liberated. The east would remain peaceful for Rome for the rest of Q.A. Papus’ consulship, as the slow repatriation of troops continued.

§§§§§§§

Part IV: Consulship of P.A. Papus December 572 to December 574 AUC

Things settled into a slower pace during the magistracy of the generous and contented Publius Aemilius Papus. Much of this was dictated by the parlous manpower situation: in mid-December 572 the reserve was empty with 41,292 replacements required in the legions as attrition and barbarian attacks slowed its reconstitution.

§§§§§§§

A. Barbarian Campaigns

While the barbarian threat persisted, it was far weaker over the next two years. A barbarian revolt in Histri by 7,000 Pentri tribesmen broke out on 18 December. Legio VIII was sent across from Autariatae to deal with them. Battles followed in Histri (19-24 February 573) and Maezaei (23-26 May and 17-27 August) before they were finally wiped out, costing a total of 1,416 Roman battle casualties.

In Hispania, two more battles were needed in Cantabri (29 January-3 February and 23 April-5 May 573) to extinguish the Amaci invasion, with 732 more Roman lives spent to kill the remaining 3,578 ably led but doomed warriors.

A barbarian revolt in Turones (northern Gaul) on 22 December 573 by 4,000 Veliocasses warriors was brutally extinguished by L.A. Barbula’s Legio III in a one-sided battle between 28 February and 2 March 574. Despite attacking over a river, only five legionaries lost in slaying the lot of them [Rome 7+3-1 v 0 die roll].

§§§§§§§

B. Eastern Affairs

By late December 572, the Egyptians were fighting the Seleucids in Lydia, a battle they would win, with the province being occupied by March 573. The Seleucid civil war continued in parallel, with a major battle observed in Artashat (25 Rebel attacking 27 Loyalist regiments) in early February 573.

The overly ambitious Bosporan war against Rhoxolani ended in early April 573, the upstarts losing the province they had taken from the Rhoxolani at independence and also paying a hefty indemnity.

esXbtr.jpg

A year later, the two main wars in the east continued. By late April 574 the tide had turned somewhat against the Egyptians: they still held Lydia from the Loyalists, but Pontus had occupied Caria and Lycia in Asia Minor. The Rebels now occupied Mesopotamia, cutting off any direct land avenue from Egypt to Loyalist territory. Egypt still commanded a 166,000 manpower reserve, Pontus a healthy 69,000, the Rebels 26,000 and the Loyalists still with none in reserve and an unstable government [-3 stability]. At that time, Rome's manpower reserve also still sat at zero.

By 1 May 574, Pontus and the Seleucids were besieging Lydia, while the Rebels had defeated a much smaller Loyalist army in Gelae.

2FVUkx.jpg

§§§§§§§

C. Roman Politics and the West - 573 AUC

P.A. Papus continued his brother's good run of omens, Minerva once again smiling on the Romans and their policy of (relative) peace in January 573.

qZft7l.jpg

T.A. Barbula required another ‘loyalty commission’ of 50 gold in February 573:

“Ah, Consul, here is the authorisation for another ‘expense reimbursement’ for General Bribula,” misspoke a nervous Bernardius. "Er Barbula, sorry Consul."

Humphronius glared at his colleague, but Consul Papus was rather tickled. “Oh, very droll Bernardius, well done. Here, I’ve signed it.”

“Yes, Consul.” [This bribe yielded an excellent +33% loyalty boost – the range being 5-35 each time.]

It was just as well ‘Bribula’ was being kept on retainer, because yet again a leading Roman general was murdered in a wanton act of vengeance. Apparently some disgruntled lover poisoned T.O. Crassus’ watered wine one day in March 573, ending the life of one of Rome’s best ever (though less frequently used) commanders while still in his prime.

UmeQ5X.jpg

A.C. Caudex [Martial 5] was brought back onto the active list to take over the now quiet garrison duty of Legio VII in Ikosim.

In April 573, an opportunity arose to colonise Pictones, on the west coast of Gaul north of Santones. But first, the local barbarians would have to be provoked and dispersed. Ptolemy’s Legio XII was marched north from Volcae to complete the task. A small detachment would eventually be left under his command in August to stir up the Pictones, while the rest of the legion waited in nearby Bituriges (to avoid attrition).

In October 573, former Pontifex Maximus M.O. Crassus [age 30, Martial 8] was promoted to Censor to replenish the slowly diminishing stock of talented generals. The remainder of the year passed quietly in Roma and the West.

§§§§§§§

D. Roman Politics and the West - 574 AUC

1 January 574 marked 100 years since the beginning of the events described in this chronicle about the leading Citizens of the Roman Republic. Much had changed since that time. But many of the famous family names remained familiar.

zKZnQa.jpg

Ah, those were the days!
The latest famous Aemilius Barbula (Titus ‘Bribula’) received his loyalty payment on 29 January [only +13 loyalty this time]. He was becoming an expensive indulgence. At least the omens remained propitious.

iIZbSY.jpg

After a little over a year of relative quiet (though some continuing attrition from troops returning from the east), by 2 February 574 the manpower deficit was down to 12,944 with a 2,265 gain each month. That day, recently colonised Remi was assimilated as a fully Romanised (religion and culture) province in near record time.

In May, Consul Papus was reminded that the Senate still required Pontus to be ‘ended’ (ie the capital province to be occupied in a war), but the mission still had another 12 years to run. A worthy goal, without doubt, but there would be plenty of time for that later. Especially if their stalwart allies, the Seleucid Loyalists, lost the civil war.

Greedy generals demanded more bribes in June, Bribula again [+31% loyalty] and Ptolemy [+17% loyalty]. Even after the handing over of 100 gold talents and all the previous expenditure on infrastructure, there was still over 2,000 gold left in the Aerarium.

On 12 July, the lack of recent action led one of the auxiliary cohorts trying to stir up trouble in Pictones to disband into the countryside – a replacement was sent from nearby Bituriges. This was a sign of the more peaceful times that had fallen on the Republic of late – Minerva now ascendant over Mars.

On 29 August, Ruteni became the next colony to attain fully Romanised provincial status. Then as September drew to a close, the Roman manpower reserve finally rose above zero to 1,938 – though 2,871 replacements were still needed out in the deployed army, with the monthly gain now up to 2,288.

However, on 26 September, old Ptolemy Ptolemy, the former Macedonian leader turned veteran Roman general, died at the age of 74 whilst commanding Legio XII in Pictones. A replacement would need to be arranged, but could not be appointed directly as the legion was in foreign territory – it would take a little time and the Romans hoped the local barbarians did not rise until a new commander could be sent over from Bituriges with a detached cohort.

Another Roman launched a murder plot on 11 October 574, when the young Pontifex Maximus S.F. Fundulus tried to have a former lover killed. But she turned the tables on him and Fundulus wound up dead himself. He had been a brilliant administrator and fairly charismatic [2 Martial, 6 Charisma, 10 Finesse], both important talents for a peacetime Pontifex. A like replacement was sought, with the 28-year-old P.V. Laevinus [2 Martial, 6 Charisma, 8 Finesse] getting the nod.

By 11 November, a very large number of Egyptian troops was moving through the western provinces of the Republic, en route to the east. This was because all Egyptian land contact had been cut off to Pontus and Seleucid Loyalist territory, but the mutual military access agreements between Rome and Egypt still held. So they were taking the long way around to try to revive their fortunes in the east. For some reason, they were not using their fleet to do it more quickly.

q2xpgH.jpg

As P.A. Papus prepared to hand over the Consulship to his successor – another man of the Religious faction, from the Cornelii – just three more building projects (all temples) had been initiated during his magistracy, all initiated in the previous year.

QVulAX.jpg

Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio had traits that would end up cancelling each other out in terms of their effect on the research rate. But he was a righteous man and staunchly against corruption.

“Against corruption? A good thing, surely, Humphronius,” remarked an eager-looking Bernardius as he waited with Humphronius to conduct the usual handover brief.

“To a certain extent, Bernardius, to a certain extent.” The older bureaucrat was less enthusiastic – and not a little worried. To him, such lofty principles had no place in the cold, hard and calculating world of ‘good government’. This new Consul may need a bit of extra ‘handling’, he thought to himself – but said nothing to Bernardius.

§§§§§§§

Finis

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's amazing how "quiet" (and I use that term sparingly, for work-related reasons!) a peaceful Rome is! When major headlines are things like assassinations and lovers' quarrels... my, are we to have a new team of Lions or will we be lead by sheep?!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
On 8 October, the Rebels were advancing on Atopatene from Kirkuk, but more perplexing (and not a little frustrating) was the defection of Roman-held Sophene to the Rebels (Rome’s allies) after a small Rebel contingent arrived there [warscore reduced to +74%].
Frustrating thing. So they defected just like that without getting sieged or anything? A cursed mechanic.

Which were accepted: the Great War in the East was over. Rome finally acquired Sparta and expanded its foothold in Asia Minor into Pergamon and Phrygia. The Seleucid civil war continued; the Rebels were Roman allies and the Loyalists a much-diminished force, though they would now receive the other Roman-occupied territory back – if they could hold it.
Good peace, and if the rebels weren't greedy and eyed our provinces, they would've had it much easier against the Seleucids.

The advantages of a Religious Consul at omen time were clear when Minerva was again invoked in January 572.
I recently realized on the days this AAR has an update, I decide to cook some chicken for dinner, even when the omen is successful :D

As Classis IV made its way back to the Illyrian coast, the latest venture by Colchis was (predictably) unravelling. On 1 April they made a separate peace with Pontus, but remained at war with the Seleucid Loyalists.
Instead of providing distraction to make our wars easier and maybe even weaken our enemies, they're just handing over provinces so it'll take more wars to completely get rid of Pontus in the future.

And the new order in the east continued to shake out, with a new Bosporan Kingdom being proclaimed two days later, starting off with war on the Rhoxolani.
The one country that I played a lot! I hope they manage to stay alive and maybe even prosper there.

Good update! I'm also feeling like soon enough another war will appear on the horizon :)

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
War is done, Rome is bigger. too big to fail even. On another note, I've spent the last few days reading a book: "Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City". It's not even about Fantasy Byzantium, it's just regular old Byzantium with the serial numbers filed off, and it's fantastic. Anyone else here who has read it?

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's amazing how "quiet" (and I use that term sparingly, for work-related reasons!) a peaceful Rome is! When major headlines are things like assassinations and lovers' quarrels... my, are we to have a new team of Lions or will we be lead by sheep?!
In between the big wars there are always small ones, barbarian invasions, revolts and colonisations to be going on with. Plus intrigues that kill off leading generals! Will try to promote up and coming generals through the usual pathway, but am reliant on the raw material appearing and coming of age for eligibility.
Frustrating thing. So they defected just like that without getting sieged or anything? A cursed mechanic.
Yes, I’m sure it must have had something to do with MA and/or being allied, in context of civil war with mutual enemy and maybe a province that was originally rebel? But I don’t really know. o_O
Good peace, and if the rebels weren't greedy and eyed our provinces, they would've had it much easier against the Seleucids.
It will do for now, and when you add it to the annexation of Macedon and the territory (especially Bithynia) taken from Pontus earlier, the war has been long and very costly in manpower, but successful. Seleucids broken, Eastern Pact pretty much destroyed, ally likely to come to power as new Seleucid state, then Egypt bleeding itself against Pontus and Seleucids - worth the fight I think.
I recently realized on the days this AAR has an update, I decide to cook some chicken for dinner, even when the omen is successful :D
What a hoot! :D
Instead of providing distraction to make our wars easier and maybe even weaken our enemies, they're just handing over provinces so it'll take more wars to completely get rid of Pontus in the future.
They are doomed by poor timing and lack of power, but at least they keep trying to regain their patrimony.
The one country that I played a lot! I hope they manage to stay alive and maybe even prosper there.
I like it when new states spawn. A bit more realistic than inevitab blobbing.
Good update! I'm also feeling like soon enough another war will appear on the horizon :)
Thanks. A little more to see in the East now with the others fighting over the remains of the Seleucids, then we’ll see what comes up next. Lots of manpower regeneration required in the meantime.
War is done, Rome is bigger. too big to fail even. On another note, I've spent the last few days reading a book: "Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City". It's not even about Fantasy Byzantium, it's just regular old Byzantium with the serial numbers filed off, and it's fantastic. Anyone else here who has read it?
Yes, I think all remaining major powers would need to band together to take us down now, and the Fetial Priests and Humphronius will be providing diplomatic advice to try to ensure that doesn’t happen. Haven’t read the book, though it sounds interesting.

To All: still a ways off from writing up the next episode, but thought I get the comment feedback done for those who have kindly checked in. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions: