• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sad but glorious ending to a great AAR with great storylines and horrible RNG! This made me buy and play Vae Victis. Thank you for all the episodes, it truly was awesome!

• 1Love
Reactions:
I'm sad to see the end of the AAR, but certainly, the strong Republic is a glorious sight to behold.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations on reaching The End, a milestone that not many achieve. I do feel Jupiter has denied us a fitting end to this work, which would have been Rome finally drowning in the blood it's Consuls and Senators so freely spill, but one cannot have it all especially in a game as venerable as this.

Good luck on your many other projects, in particular I look forward to see who out of you and Wraith finally finishes their much threatened HOI3 mod.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Sad but glorious ending to a great AAR with great storylines and horrible RNG! This made me buy and play Vae Victis. Thank you for all the episodes, it truly was awesome!
Lovely to hear.

Even if the game was functioning OK on the new laptop (I just couldn't face the tedium of playing it on the old laptop any more), the latest war with Egypt was proving to be a bit of drudgery really and I seemed to be on a cycle that was gradually getting less interesting to play and I thought probably to make readable too. I wanted to call it a day before everyone got sick of it (including me) or stopped reading.

A bit like retirement: I told people I decided to pull the pin on a job I still found enjoyable and important enough (though often very high pressure) when it got to the point that only 49% of me wanted to keep going and 51% to stop. No-one wants to hear people whinge about stuff that's entirely in their control to fix! :D So, the latest experience of a bunch of crashes at critical times when I thought I'd got it working OK on the new machine led me to that 51%. ;)
I'm sad to see the end of the AAR, but certainly, the strong Republic is a glorious sight to behold.
Thank you, but as you say the Republic is certainly big enough (far bigger than its OTL equivalent at that time, as you should expect when playing against an admittedly quite resilient AI, with good RNG connections to the Gods at times). I thought that was also another reason for ending things when I did, rather thn trying to go through the motions and crashes until some kind of bitter end. After all, this was originally meant to last through as a nostalgic tribute until the introduction of Imperator! :D But Humphronius and Bernardius came along and had ideas of their own (though never for the first time, or course) and it lasted rather longer than that!
Congratulations on reaching The End, a milestone that not many achieve. I do feel Jupiter has denied us a fitting end to this work, which would have been Rome finally drowning in the blood it's Consuls and Senators so freely spill, but one cannot have it all especially in a game as venerable as this.

Good luck on your many other projects, in particular I look forward to see who out of you and Wraith finally finishes their much threatened HOI3 mod.
Thank you very much. Rome may not quite have drowned in its own blood, but I reckon they needed to call the lifeguard a few times after the more extreme of the sanguinary effusions! :eek:

With Talking Turkey now also in its wind-up epilogue stage, this will leave me with just two active AARs: Quick and Dirty 2 (USSR) and my CK2 piece. With the new computer now worked up and me able to play HOI3 on it and take screenshots reasonably reliably, I'll get back to work on the mod, where most of the map and country work has been done in beta form. The main work is now doing the event chains (an important part as I'm trying to make diplomacy and politics a bit more important, interactive, realistic and with variable AI results possible) and am considering what to do about LUAs for all the new countries and situations.

Starting with understanding more about their significance and how they work. It may also mean doing a few playtests of the HPP mod as well and even looking at reverse engineering some of the HOI4 focus tree approaches. Some of that may be left for a subsequent playtest phase or version development, so I can do a first playtest on a pre-beta version to see if/how it works and do some tweaking before I present it for public scrutiny (to play, at least).

Thanks to all of you for the comments and readership over the last few years. I was very pleased and not a little surprised to get so much attention in this lost little corner of AARLand. :)

Reactions:
Starting with understanding more about their significance and how they work. It may also mean doing a few playtests of the HPP mod as well and even looking at reverse engineering some of the HOI4 focus tree approaches. Some of that may be left for a subsequent playtest phase or version development, so I can do a first playtest on a pre-beta version to see if/how it works and do some tweaking before I present it for public scrutiny (to play, at least).
Did you do/plan anything about techs or will they remain vanilla?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Did you do/plan anything about techs or will they remain vanilla?
I don’t think I’ll play with them, probablty leave them vanilla. I want it to be as mechanically very like vanilla (though if I can easily change significant problems I will) as possible. The big differences will be in the starting situations and events. For tech, most countries will be at around Great War levels or maybe slightly beyond, so it will take longer to ramp up to contemporary tech levels as you’d find in vanilla (based on the assumption that there has been way less war since the mid 18th century than in our world).

• 1Like
Reactions: